[1.3] MaErDa Corp : Dev Blog V0.97

Warsoul

For the modeling/texturing, i'm ''good''. Maybe for stock-a-like texture wich i'm not really good. ( I have to find color palette and ksp textures )

What i need is few guy who work with me on .cfg or Unity 5 or coding. Take my models and textures then bring it to life or teach me how to do it if i don't know how.

Maybe with better and updated ksp modding video tutorial i will be able to do more.

I have to learn how Wheels/LandingLeg/IVA/Parachute/Drill work.

Edited by Warsoul

5 minutes ago, Warsoul said:

XmCUXDV.jpg

Why Squad doesn't give an unity template for each stock part for modders ?

Squad doesn't really care for modders, they have been known to shut down mods before

This gives details on what to name your textures for the kerbals (on page 1)

Just found that ksp shader work in opengl normalmap format ! i have to flip all my normalmap green channel ! Dammit !

There is a way to add an invert green channel in ksp parttools ?

6 minutes ago, Warsoul said:

Just found that ksp shader work in opengl normalmap format ! i have to flip all my normalmap green channel ! Dammit !

There is a way to add an invert green channel in ksp parttools ?

You can't fix in unity/part tools. Photoshop should do it. If you can export bump maps instead of normals I'd can highly recommend the nvidea photoshop plug in to create fresh normals which has the invert options.

Why they can't add an flip green channel in Parttools ?

Why they can't add an specular slot into Parttools to auto convert to the colorMap alpha channel ?

like plz

I only have photoshop element and Gimp

I can extract normalMap_OpenGl from substance painter 2 but it'a a pain in the ass to do a second export per model.

I have to fix 45+ normalMap now

That's why my models looked ugly into Ksp ! Dammit i'm a noob ! Ksp is an openGL game ?

Edited by Warsoul

Please don't edit your posts so much, I've written 3 responses that I've had to go back and change so far because you keep editing it every 2 minutes.

The Nvidea plug in works in Elements by the way.

I don't see why there would be a need to flip the green channel in PartTools. Just crate the correct map to being with.

i'm not sure what you mean in regards to spec channels, if your calling for them to be automatically generated i'd hate that, auto generated maps rarely look good and most of the time they look down right terrible. 

No, i have an specularMap but we have to convert it into grayscale and manually paste it into Alpha channel of the colorMap.

K look good now ! KsP use OpenGL NormalMap. IdK that, i tought OpenGL was almost dead.

''I don't see why there would be a need to flip the green channel in PartTools. Just crate the correct map to being with.''

Simply because i already have an Unity and Sketchfab Pipeline Workflow wich is based on DirectX NormalMap. (Most of game work with DirectX NormalMap)

That force me to export two set of normalMap for each models instead of simply check a box to flip green channel. Sketchfab work like this and many others. That a few lines of codes to be added to Ksp Parttools but alot of time saving for modders.

Edited by Warsoul

Well i doubt you'd find any other modders with that work flow as it makes no sense for KSP modding. So what you are asking for is VERY specific to your workflow and no one elses, so i really wouldn't want the KSP Dev's time being taken up on implementing that when there is so much more they could be doing.

P.S. I've asked nicely, next time you respond to me in an edit instead of a response i'm ignoring it. It's near impossible to have a conversation with you when i have to come back every few minutes to see if you've added anything else.

Sry i tought we had some alerts when we edited some followed topics.

I don't know how much ksp modders use PBR metallic workflow with DirectX11 NormalMap output honestly. I'm prolly not alone using Substance Painter 2 with sketchfab exporter.

I will set-up an Output Config for Substance Painter 2. With 2 NormaLMap Outputs. I was used to simply use exports documents maps with no alpha export settings in Painter 2. Works with 80% of softwares or games.

2 minutes ago, Warsoul said:

Sry i tought we had some alerts when we edited some followed topics.

I don't know how much ksp modders use PBR metallic workflow with DirectX11 NormalMap output honestly. I'm prolly not alone using Substance Painter 2 with sketchfab exporter.

I will set-up an Output Config for Substance Painter 2. With 2 NormaLMap Outputs. I was used to simply use exports documents maps with no alpha export settings in Painter 2. Works with 80% of softwares or games.

No unfortunatly there are no notifications for edits, so if you want someone to be notified you need to put a fresh response.

With PBR shaders being completely unsupported there are probably no modders using that workflow. I'm not aware of anyone else using Substance Painter either, i'd be interested see what others come up with using it though so if you know of modders using it i'd appreciate knowing so i can take a look.

You must take a look for substance painter 2 and designer 6. Awesome tools and affordable.

I use PBR in KsP but i use only ColorMap/NormalMap/Emissive for now (Too lazy for converting specularMap into colorMap Alpha channel)(My Gimp take 20 seconds to load each time)

That would be really cool to saw an ksp shader who add MetallicMap and RoughnessMap( Because my models look uglier witout them and pbr it's all about metallic/glossiness/roughness). Has well has HeigtMap but this one will harm performances alot.

By simple curiosity; wich textures size you use ? 1024/2048/4096 ?

Edited by Warsoul

1 minute ago, Warsoul said:

You must take a look for substance painter 2 and designer 6. Awesome tools and affordable.

I use PBR in KsP but i use only ColorMap/NormalMap/Emissive for now (Too lazy for converting specularMap into colorMap Alpha channel)(My Gimp take 20 seconds to load each time)

That would be really cool to saw an ksp shader who add MetallicMap and RoughnessMap. Has well has HeigtMap but this one will harm performances alot.

I've noted there is a Substance Painter 2 free trail, I might give it a go and see what it can do with it. But I really enjoy physical painting all the different elements and layers in photoshop though so i'm not sure it'd be as fun. With modding being only a hobby i'm not sure i'd call them affordable though lol.

20 Seconds? The main texture file for my freighter hull has over 6000 layers, is over 1.5gb and takes nearly 10 minutes to load, I'd love a 20 second load time. :cool:

6000 layers ? 150 okay but 6000 it's impossible !

You will love substance Painter 2, especially if you are good with photoshop. The 2 software add to themselves. You need photoshop for fines edits and substances painter 2 for auto-generating and baking details.

For the time saving; it worth his 150$ 3 times ! Idk why Squad doesn't use PBR for now. Maybe for performances issues but i have an 8 years old cpu (i7 920) and i have no problem at all with 4096 textures inside ksp.

A good advice for the free trial: don't install now. Watch all tutorial 1st then install.

16 minutes ago, Warsoul said:

6000 layers ? 150 okay but 6000 it's impossible !

You will love substance Painter 2, especially if you are good with photoshop. The 2 software add to themselves. You need photoshop for fines edits and substances painter 2 for auto-generating and baking details.

For the time saving; it worth his 150$ 3 times ! Idk why Squad doesn't use PBR for now. Maybe for performances issues but i have an 8 years old cpu (i7 920) and i have no problem at all with 4096 textures inside ksp.

A good advice for the free trial: don't install now. Watch all tutorial 1st then install.

Yeah careful organisation is the Key when working with that many layers, this texture is the culprit, the source file is 4k but the mod release only includes a 2k version https://github.com/dboi88/CSI-Cargo-Freighter/blob/master/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/CoyoteSpaceIndustries/Freighter/Parts/FreighterShared001.dds most of the layers went into the surface details.

Oh that sounds good, (the fact you can tweak everything in photoshop)

I'll take a look at the tutorials before installing then, thanks for the advice.

I don't pretend to fully understand it but IIRC all the KSP shaders are custom and mostly custom to deal with part highlighting (when the part glows green when you hover over it) which means any PBR shaders would have to be custom created for KSP which i believe to be a very difficult job.

1 minute ago, dboi88 said:

Yeah careful organisation is the Key when working with that many layers, this texture is the culprit, the source file is 4k but the mod release only includes a 2k version https://github.com/dboi88/CSI-Cargo-Freighter/blob/master/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/CoyoteSpaceIndustries/Freighter/Parts/FreighterShared001.dds most of the layers went into the surface details.

Oh that sounds good, (the fact you can tweak everything in photoshop)

I'll take a look at the tutorials before installing then, thanks for the advice.

I don't pretend to fully understand it but IIRC all the KSP shaders are custom and mostly custom to deal with part highlighting (when the part glows green when you hover over it) which means any PBR shaders would have to be custom created for KSP which i believe to be a very difficult job.

3d artists use an flipped normalMap to fake an cartoon style character in 3D, maybe it's the solution for highlighting PBR shaders !

https://blog.sketchfab.com/creating-a-cartoon-outline-for-sketchfab/

This artist use this technique to outline his model. Boderland use this technique alot. With a big green outline Squad can solve this PBR shader outline issue.

https://sketchfab.com/models/648a20abcf414c6faf95bab4ab3f4b76

Or simply made an PBR shader who change specular color to an filled high green value when selected.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.