My Xbox One gamepad does not work

Hi!

My xbox one controller isn`t recognized by the game. I cannot bind axis nor buttons. I`ve tried reinstalling the game, deleting every file associated with the game, but nothing. The gamepad works with other games. Tried the gamepad with both the wireless receiver and a wire. I don`t get any error messages, the pad just seems non existant.

-T0ffel0k

Hi @T0ffel0k, the pad should be working but may require calibrating in your operating system before starting KSP.

The buttons will only work on the key bindings though, which are on the left side of the Settings screen, on the input page.

The sticks, analogue triggers and D-pad (which acts like a joysticks hat switch) can be bound to the axis, on the right hand side of the screen.

Hope this helps!

Thanks @sal_vager for the heads up, but unfortunately, this does not help me out. I know my way around the basic setup of controllers ingame, as the pad and older pads have worked on previous versions of the game. Now playing version 1.1.3.1289, I cannot bind any of the buttons or axis. As I said, it seems non existant ingame. And as for calibration in win10, I already mentioned it works like a charm in other games.

Hello again @T0ffel0k, this is weird and I'd expect this issue to be more widespread if the controller did not work for everyone, I cannot test this on Windows 10 as I use Linux, but for me the Xbox One controller is working in KSP, I first calibrated it in the operating system then bound the left and right sticks and the A button to staging.

The pad is plugged into USB, that might be a factor here, and Linux uses a different driver to Windows.

I can try this on Windows 7 later, but it looks like this is an issue with Unity3D and Windows 10, as there are reports on the Unity3D forums of issues.

I just find it strange that this issue haven't had broader attention in the ksp community, as the XB1 controller is widely used. (Though I get that ppl tend to be using mouse/keyboard or joystick instead) I'll try downloading the xbox accessories and see if that helps, otherwise I may just have to dig out my ol' logitechpad. (Hope it doesn't come to that....) So no other tips or workarounds?

-T0ffel0k

Perhaps it does not have broader attention because it is not affecting everyone with an XBox One controller?

I managed to test this in Windows 7, after installing the Microsoft XBox controller driver and calibrating the controller in Windows I was able to bind all axis and buttons, as well as the D-pad to the camera movement controls.

Maybe someone else who is using Windows 10 and an XBox controller will be able to help as I don't see a reason why it isn't working for you, unless there really is a bug between Unity3D and Windows 10.

10 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Maybe someone else who is using Windows 10 and an XBox controller will be able to help as I don't see a reason why it isn't working for you

Same here. Stopped working last 24hrs. Possible win 10 anniversary update conflict? The game does not find my otherwise working controller - settings.cfg is empty under input devices

Just now, SkyKaptn said:

Same here. Stopped working last 24hrs. Possible win 10 anniversary update conflict? The game does not find my otherwise working controller - settings.cfg is empty under input devices

I'm currently running Windows 10 and have used the controller with KSP previously. However, plugging in to check this issue required a driver update and reboot, so there may be something what you say. 

If the controller seems otherwise dead, try the following assuming that the controller is using the USB port and is wired directly.

Check the controller is being detected by windows - Open Game controller settings [Typing joy.cpl into the search box or navigating the settings windows] 

Alternatively type devices and open the devices and printers page. With this method, the device may be shown as an unknown device named controller. Opening the properties revealed a reboot was necessary to finish installing the drivers in my case. (Windows does have a tendency to partially update some files thereby restricting any services that use them until the next reboot. This is not always conveyed to the user and can result in some functions simply failing to work).

If a wireless adaptor is being used, check the driver installation for the adaptor first..

After the controller is verified as being present and functioning on the system via joy.cpl, it does appear to be recognised by KSP with all axes and buttons able to be bound.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.