Mods for Console?

Any chance we will see any of the cool mods on Console? Visual mods like clouds for Kerbin, parts mods like interstellar and planetary base systems, and winches, scansat, and the chatterer. It seems like some of these mods add so much to the game and that some were just supposed to be in the game. I know there is a small chance of this happening, but it is possible, so I thought I would ask. 

I'd also like to see some basic KSP mods on the consoles, but getting the game in a playable state is probably a bigger priority. I've a feeling that the challenges surrounding mods on console have a lot more to do with "but then how would we sell DLC" than the "totes insurmountable security and technical challenges" that are often hinted at by the console manufacturers.

They've peddled the same kind of lie about console-to-console cross-platform play several times until Psyonix (developer of Rocket League), proved that it was load of hogwash that had more to do with business/marketing policies than anything technical (the bean counters believe it would hurt sales if people could play with friends on other platforms... #4thesharholders).

44 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Unlikely as Squad would have to get permission from Microsft and Sony individually. Not to mention it's a new challenge to work with as far as UI and controls.

Not that unlikely as there is precedent for it, Bethesda already got permission from both companies to allow mods for Fallout 4 available on both consoles, so it's clearly not impossible. In typical Sony fashion, they were simply too inept to get it working (probably also why KSP for PS4 STILL isn't out in Europe over a month after the launch date), but it's been available to XBone players for a while now.

Even if mods only worked on the console that supports it, that's no reason not to go for it. It'd be good for everyone including Sony, as the embarrassment of their competitors having features they don't, will help motivate them to stop letting down their customers.

Thanks for the responses. I am glad to see there is at least interest. I understand it is a complicated matter, but it still isn't impossible. Paid DLC might be a good way to bring mods to console. I was kind of wondering if there was any plans to bring any more content to the console game period, whether that be in the form of mods, paid DLC, or a game update. I understand that some mods just won't work, but it seems reasonable that some could. 

11 hours ago, Liquid said:

Edit: also note that both consoles support mouse/keyboard, even since last generation.

Not in unity they don't.

My bet is no mods on console for KSP, ever. I would like to be proved wrong however, some mods make the game better.

Squad has already put some of the most popular mods into the base game. Version 0.25 integrated the Space Plane Plus mod. In version 1.0, resource mining was added based on the Karbonite mod. Those are two examples which made it into the base game on console. That being said, what I was curious about was if we can expect to see any more content on consoles, whether that be in the form of mods, paid DLC, or a game update. Thanks.

Let's take it a little bit easy, everyone. We maybe won't all agree with each other, but we can have a conversation without getting personal. Take a moment to review what you write before posting and see if it sounds like a reasonable conversation or if it's more like an argument getting out of control.

Also, since this is not really about tech support, moved to Suggestions & Development Discussion

Quite a few posts have been removed from this thread. 

Some people would like mods to be available for consoles, and some people prefer Squad's time and effort was devoted to other things. Please leave it at that, do not attack each other over these preferences, and please do not attempt to speak on behalf of Squad as to why they may or may not be inclined to make mods available on consoles. 

On 8/12/2016 at 3:58 PM, Liquid said:

Not that unlikely as there is precedent for it, Bethesda already got permission from both companies to allow mods for Fallout 4 available on both consoles, so it's clearly not impossible. In typical Sony fashion, they were simply too inept to get it working (probably also why KSP for PS4 STILL isn't out in Europe over a month after the launch date), but it's been available to XBone players for a while now.

As I understand it Fallout 4 mods are scripts, not really mods.  They are about the same as World of Warcraft Mods.  That is a completely different animal from executable code like KSP mods, which are in dll format.

Maybe (and that is a BIG maybe) you could add support for part mods that only use stock modules.  But things like KER or Firespitter or Alarm Clock are likely never going to happen.