19 minutes ago, Violent Jeb said:

From there, you can usually reach an "equilibrium" at the upper reaches of your engines airsupply where as you slowly rise from a degree of trim, your engine loses just the smallest fraction of its power, bringing your plane down a few meters, until you regain speed and repeat, usually within about 50m or so horizontally..

Wich is neither stable nor level flight, prooving we have nothing to disagree on.

23 minutes ago, Violent Jeb said:

Next, you will need to adjust the trim on your plane, which can apply a constant direction (WASD) in small increments.

Don't forget you're answering question in the console section.

On 8/14/2016 at 2:06 PM, klesh said:

Don't forget you're answering question in the console section.

oh i'm sorry that confused you, i meant up down left right.

thought that'd have been obvious.

I guess the answer is if you want absolute zero level flight and nothing even close is acceptable then this game is a joke (particularly on console) & you should look elsewhere, I should have realized. Sorry for trying to help enjoy the empty forums.

Edited by Violent Jeb

30 minutes ago, Violent Jeb said:

I guess the answer is if you want absolute zero level flight and nothing even close is acceptable then this game is a joke (particularly on console) & you should look elsewhere, I should have realized. Sorry for trying to help enjoy the empty forums.

How do you dislike a post? Dude, bad form.

2 hours ago, Violent Jeb said:

Haha.  I just meant dont tell the console people pc controls.   Sheesh.  

So I finally got... well I won't call it stable but it can go for awhile by itself. It takes some time (and as pointed out before, a particular design) to get it to work. The plane will increase in altitude but reduce in speed until it reaches a minimum speed. Then it starts to lose altitude and gain speed until it reaches a maximum speed. The plane will then start gaining altitude and losing speed. So on and so forth. Takes time to fiddle with it but I have done this on two different designs (similar features, different centers of lift and balance).

The trick I found is not really a particular altitude (done it from 3000m up to 11000m), it has to do with the rate of change. If you can get your plane where it is barely losing altitude (or gaining altitude) with a small but opposite change in speed, it should work. If you can't see the last altitude digit change from number to number, likely it is too fast and you have to slow the rate of change down.

Been able to do this for 20 minutes without fiddling with it, which helped as I had to fly to a target on the other side of the planet (can't wait for supersonic flight research). Not what I was intending when I was looking for stable flight; however, it is the spirit of what I was trying to do. This might be a noob thing but hopefully this helps another fellow noob on how to fly :)

Nthere are a host of plane building tutorial on this for..

Bbut....do you know all about how to place centre of lift/mass etc, otherwise your plane sounds pretty realistic. 

Also learn about angle of attack on wings, verry important. 

As an aside, all my early career planes were pretty crap when I look back now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.