The Great Star Fleet Bandwagon of 2016

51 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

I think this topic got obsolete pretty fast. It's like a stale meme.

@Gman_builder I am near completion with my Mini Enterprise I've been working on, I was trying to complete my SSTO Energy Source before moving on with this project but it's been giving me ten kinds of headaches trying to complete. The weight of the Vector Engines are not letting me do a good reentry so now I jumped back to what I am calling "The Star Fleet Mini Collection" and I am going to complete it tonight.

Edited by Castille7

1 hour ago, Gman_builder said:

I think this topic got obsolete pretty fast. It's like a stale meme.

That's how bandwagons work.

Anyway, I am still working on the Stargazer, and since I'll be visiting relatives who don't have Internet this weekend, I'll be limited to playing offline games, which should give me ample opportunity and motivation to finish work on the ship.

Also, in case you didn't realize it, my new avatar and rank were chosen specifically for this bandwagon thread, once I finish my ship and have decided not to make another one I'm going to change it back to the good old Red Baron.

On 9/2/2016 at 1:29 AM, Azimech said:

I've rebuilt the upper skin of the saucer section of the Excelsior to give it a smoother look and removed lots of struts. I hope to finish it with less than 2000 parts.

"Less than 2000 parts" like thats low lol XDXD

Edited by Gman_builder

1 hour ago, The Optimist said:

It's sad that my computer has trouble with a 500 part nuclear submarine but Azimech's works with a 2500 part starship. 

I've just got an Intel i3 HP laptop. If I tried to load anything near 500 parts, there'd be smoke shooting out of the cooling vent...

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

*glances at avatar and rank*

Oh yeeaaahhh... This is a thing still... Better get back to work on that Stargazer.

Yeah man, Star Trek things will never get old in my opinion. After all, this game is called Kerbal SPACE Program. So i would assume this all fits quite nicely into the game.

22 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

How many Boots are you gonna make???!!!!

Well...

I've got my first one, which was meant as a generic U-boat, and the second one, which is specifically intended as a replica of the Type VIIC. The other two main types of U-boats in WWII were the larger Type IX and smaller Type II, and both are similar enough to the Type VII that I'll probably end up doing replicas of them sometime as well. The Type XXI Elektroboot has always fascinated me, so I would also like to give it a try as well.

TL;DR: A lot.

Just now, Majorjim! said:

Nice build dude. If only it is something other than look pretty! 

How many parts? And are those pics taken in the 1.2 pre-release? Did you use the auto-strutting? 

Part count ... ehm 2050 I think. I could equip it with chemical engines but that doesn't make sense ... Star Trek is SF and a contrail coming out of it's ... is bonkers. And the Dv would s... as well.

Pics are from 1.2 pre-release. And yes, auto strutting. Otherwise I'd need 100+ extra struts and ... the nacelles would still be elastic. Tested with my own written impulse & RCS, it's solid enough now. Except when you damage a nacelle pylon ... the nacelle explodes in a nice, long cascaded explosion, very cinematic.

11 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Part count ... ehm 2050 I think. I could equip it with chemical engines but that doesn't make sense ... Star Trek is SF and a contrail coming out of it's ... is bonkers. And the Dv would s... as well.

Pics are from 1.2 pre-release. And yes, auto strutting. Otherwise I'd need 100+ extra struts and ... the nacelles would still be elastic. Tested with my own written impulse & RCS, it's solid enough now. Except when you damage a nacelle pylon ... the nacelle explodes in a nice, long cascaded explosion, very cinematic.

What are the auto struts like? Strong? 

Just now, Majorjim! said:

What are the auto struts like? Strong? 

Yeah but they can give problems too. If you look in the WIP topic you'll see my new carrier. I autostrutted a lot but after a number of RUDs before reaching the water I'm becoming more and more selective and modifying it with my usual strutting pattern. MK3 parts still have problems with force/torque and ability to bend is better than break.

Howdy all. Here's my bandwagon pass. :) Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/9KicG

Available in two editions, < 200 parts, needs 6~8 mods and is quite functional.

Source "NF" edition with Near Future parts and needs Infinite Electricity cheat: Download.

Alternate "T1" edition without Near Future parts: Download.

fqOZtNT.jpg

JKlj1xn.jpg

The NF edition ship has Near Future parts except reactors. I favored a little more cheatiness and faithfulness to the real ship (red impulse engine light) and more dV in the saucer over the possibility of cramming enough reactors and radiators inside to legit power the engines...and driving part count up and TWR down. It's already somewhat poor for a Mun landing and I want that option to remain quite open for the players.

CZBzmuC.jpg

The landed T1 edition saucer has no Lithium. It has Toroidal Aerospikes and an orange tank's worth of LFO. TWR is much better for Mun landing. No need for infinite electricity cheat but it might not get back into orbit.

5oNYM2A.jpg

@Azimech I saw your Excelsior the other day and was blown away. :0.0: I wanted to build an Excelsior too, later on, but I'm not sure anymore. It might stomp on the glory of yours.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 1 month later...

Had to dig pretty deep to find this thread again but this is where mt Bird of Prey belongs.
I am already working on a MkII and it looks even better.

screenshot15.png
100% stock and near perfectly balanced. Seats 4 and with a bit over 4100m/s dV in can intercept pretty much anything in Kerbin's SOI.
(Open spoiler for more detailed SPH pictures.)

Spoiler

screenshot17.png

screenshot18.png

screenshot19.png

screenshot20.png

Bird of Prey Mk II:

screenshot21.png

screenshot22.png

Upped the TWR by roughly 50% by adding a third spike. Added lights, several greeblies to the rear, a chin mounted 'torpedo launcher' and drastically improved the looks on the wing mounted guns.
And last but not least made it a lot easier to raise and lower the wings. However this is purely cosmetical as raising the wings shifts the CoG to far above the line of thrust to be practical.

Edited by Tex_NL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.