The biggest thing I've ever launched...

I don't normally do large launchers, but I was bored and looking for something different to do.

This is what I came up with: The Monstro 1.0.

318 tonnes of payload to LKO, 1.42 thousand tonnes on the pad.

Monstro1_zpsznpc5zia.jpg

Monstro3_zpscpfohj3c.jpg

Monstro5_zpsv1sbso48.jpg

What's the biggest beast you've ever launched? Share your pics and video here!

Best,
-Slashy

This thread made me realise how rarely I actually launch big things. I've used SpaceY's 5m parts for an actual payload exactly once, and not made any use of the 7.5m parts other than simply designing the Gaia series of launchers. The largest launcher I use semi-regularly, the Jool 5B, has a maximum payload of about 80t to an 80km orbit, and a launch mass of 586t including payload. I'm only now realising how comparably small that is.

8 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

That thing looks like it would be a component of a Dyson sphere.

Now they just have to make 4e17 more of them and they're done! Copy and paste? :P

On a side note, this was my first post?! I've got some catching up to do.

Edited by doggonemess

6 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Hate to rain on all your parades, but let me direct you to a forum member known as @Whackjob. Some of his craft have been so big that they've had to be measured in VABs.

I'm not sure if he's still active here though.

Whackjob was a minor deity around here back in the day. Last I heard, he got a girlfriend and stopped playing very often.

Best,
-Slashy

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2016 at 7:03 PM, GoSlash27 said:

Whackjob was a minor deity around here back in the day. Last I heard, he got a girlfriend and stopped playing very often.

Best,
-Slashy

Good lord.  It goes deeper than that.  I'm a hundred and fifty thousand dollars in debt, now.

Why?  Well, the girlfriend and I have bought a house.  We've been busy doing minor repairs and such to get the occupancy permit from the city before we can move in.    Hell of a thing, eh?  I went from presumed bachelor for life to live-in-boyfriend to one heck of a lady. :)

I know I've started and then failed to finish a number of projects.  I can't but apologize profusely.  Life, you know?  That and this makeshift machine I've been using since I burnt up the processor in my old machine, it's getting rickety.  I need replacement with something modern, but that's not gonna happen this year.  Such is life!  But, I do drop in now and then, if only briefly.

EDIT:  You guys deserve a picture.  

Qoe9mlA.png

Edit 2:  I've also have built so big, that I needed to make custom seperatrons to move huge stacks.  So, I made one out of a mainsail engine:

0AFC9653C5A3A04B85749BA6C67D080BC10D2E6A

Here it is in use:

74956944C372858634C73F6A438F2E2228EE17F0

Edited by Whackjob

It uses a truss cage.  Long story short, when I started building real big, I learned the best way to keep huge things together was not to go from, say, tank-strut-tank, but rather tank-truss-strut-truss-tank.  It can flex enough to where the weight doesn't shear everything, and enough of them can give you the semblance of a rigid ship.  With it, you can launch everything.

R2mqtC5.png

If you mean the first one, the huge stack, there's a whole *ton* of reaction control wheels clipped into the tanks.  Wanted that one to look clean, for some reason.

Edited by Whackjob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.