I got into Uni !! =)

worir4

6 hours ago, NorthernDevo said:

Chuckle - ahh; welcome to the lovely, lovely World of the Wiz-Wheel!

I just saw this thread so I didn't get the opportunity to congratulate you for starting your journey towards flight. As a long-time pilot (civil private light, sailplane and helicopter) I can tell you that you are heading down an extremely rewarding, but also extremely challenging path. It is not easy; and more rewarding for the challenge.

I've learned in my years not to offer advice to new people; it's often wrong and can interfere with your instructors' teaching. Besides, he or she is going to be far better that I; I've been out of the Cadet training system for over 15 years. :) 

That said, if I could offer advice, I would offer this:

On your second flight, you're busy working on basics; straight and level flight; trim, secondary control actions. :) Before long, you're going to be getting into more advanced airwork and aircraft handling. I know you want to proceed, but unless you feel you're thoroughly confident with everything you've learned, never be afraid to repeat a lesson. If there's something you're a little unsure of; by all means repeat that lesson before going on. It costs another lesson but saves lessons down the road as you have a stronger understanding of the basics.

The Tomahawk is an excellent aircraft to learn on; a good stable little platform. I'm less enthused that it apparently has a G-1000 (you described a glass cockpit); I'm a strong proponent of learning the basic 6-pack. Being able to read the instruments and keeping a mental image in your mind of the aircraft's attitude is a critical ability, IMO but then, I'm an old fogey - some CFIs strongly support the G-1000 system.

As to the image above; the E-6B is a really important tool and an excellent skill to learn. By the time you read this you've already likely learned the basic functions; it takes 5 minutes to learn. Just never, ever underestimate that little Wiz-wheel. There are easier and more advanced tools out there, including full Internet flight planning, but the E-6B goes with you wherever you go. It slips in your map case, never needs batteries and always answers your questions with a simple slide of the thumb.

Cheers! And good luck!

Hey, thanks man. I appreciate your advise.

So far i have had 5 lessons and so far so good. I really like my instructor. He lets me do pretty much everything. I did my first take off and landing on my fourth flight which i was surprised he let me do. I think i got really lucky because some of my friends who go to the same flying school with different instructors say that after the 5th lesson they still are not doing much as their instructor has full control until they practice the specific activity on the lesson.

On my sixth lesson, my instructor said i will be responsible for the radio as well!. 

This wheel seems easy enough to use. I have got the hang of multiplication and conversions but it will take some time to learn.

(PS. At the time of writing the OP i did not realise what glass cockpit actually meant. It does not have computerized displays at all. What i meant was it had big windows around the cockpit XD )

5 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

Can it run Crysis, though?

8K 144FPS no problem.

22 minutes ago, worir4 said:

Hey, thanks man. I appreciate your advise.

So far i have had 5 lessons and so far so good. I really like my instructor. He lets me do pretty much everything. I did my first take off and landing on my fourth flight which i was surprised he let me do. I think i got really lucky because some of my friends who go to the same flying school with different instructors say that after the 5th lesson they still are not doing much as their instructor has full control until they practice the specific activity on the lesson.

On my sixth lesson, my instructor said i will be responsible for the radio as well!. 

This wheel seems easy enough to use. I have got the hang of multiplication and conversions but it will take some time to learn.

(PS. At the time of writing the OP i did not realise what glass cockpit actually meant. It does not have computerized displays at all. What i meant was it had big windows around the cockpit XD )

Oh good. You might not realize it right off the bat but that is an enormous advantage for you. The G-1000 is an excellent system for trained pilots (though I personally dislike it) and has many benefits for owners; namely in weight costs - 'steam' instruments are heavy! Learning the 6-pack however requires thought, patience and understanding. In flight, all I need to do is glance at the panel to gain a thorough understanding of my aircraft's position in space - something I cannot ascribe to the Garmin system; though that is clearly personal, other pilots disagree.

If your training plan matches ours in Canada, you should have just been introduced to stalls, slow flight and spiral dives. Chuckle - I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences. :wink: From what I've seen so far you're a pretty good storyteller; I am enjoying your journey immensely. :)

I started my own journey in 1979 as a Cadet of the Royal Canadian Air Cadets. A 13 year old with a lot of enthusiasm and interest in flight. In 1983 I was accepted to the RCACC's glider scholarship program, and earned my wings at 16 as a glider pilot. I earned my light aircraft wings privately; waiting tables and washing cars to make the money.

I personally believe all pilots should learn to fly gliders since one of the Four Forces (thrust) is not present in flight; forcing the pilot to have a better understanding of Lift, Drag and Gravity. Bu that is unreasonable; simply a personal preference. I really do believe that learning to fly gliders has made me a better pilot. Even in rotorcraft - while very different in action gliding is gliding; and the one time I ever had to autorotate to safety (I had a 'chip' light 20 mi. outside of Quesnel, BC) I was comfortable with the decent; little stress at all.

You've got a good start, Worir4; sounds like you're doing great. :) Study hard, listen to your instructor and above all HAVE FUN! What you're doing is really, really cool - never forget just how freakin' awesome it is to take wing. :wink:

Cheers!

Edited by NorthernDevo

7 minutes ago, NorthernDevo said:

Oh good. You might not realize it right off the bat but that is an enormous advantage for you. The G-1000 is an excellent system for trained pilots (though I personally dislike it) and has many benefits for owners; namely in weight costs - 'steam' instruments are heavy! Learning the 6-pack however requires thought, patience and understanding. In flight, all I need to do is glance at the panel to gain a thorough understanding of my aircraft's position in space - something I cannot ascribe to the Garmin system; though that is clearly personal, other pilots disagree.

If your training plan matches ours in Canada, you should have just been introduced to stalls, slow flight and spiral dives. Chuckle - I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences. :wink: From what I've seen so far you're a pretty good storyteller; I am enjoying your journey immensely. :)

I started my own journey in 1979 as a Cadet of the Royal Canadian Air Cadets. A 13 year old with a lot of enthusiasm and interest in flight. In 1983 I was accepted to the RCACC's glider scholarship program, and earned my wings at 16 as a glider pilot. I earned my light aircraft wings privately; waiting tables and washing cars to make the money.

I personally believe all pilots should learn to fly gliders since one of the Four Forces (thrust) is not present in flight; forcing the pilot to have a better understanding of Lift, Drag and Gravity. Bu that is unreasonable; simply a personal preference. I really do believe that learning to fly gliders has made me a better pilot.

You've got a good start, Worir4; sounds like you're doing great. :) Study hard, listen to your instructor and above all HAVE FUN! What you're doing is really, really cool - never forget just how freakin' awesome it is to take wing. :wink:

Cheers!

Hey thank for the words of encouragement.

I have been playing plane games and simulators long before i started flying so i am already used to the instruments. The biggest difference i really notice are the forces you feel. I think i have a pretty good idea what kerbals experience when you do even a 3g turn or negative g maneuver with them. I felt quite sick when i first started but in my last lesson i felt nothing so i guess i am getting used to it. 

As for what i have covered so far, i have done spiral dives (best thing ever!) and slow flight. But i have not done stalls yet. My next lesson is on flying level at high speeds. 

And finally, of course i am having fun! It is the best experience of my life so far. I look forwards to every Wednesday and i have become sort of obsessed with checking the weather for that day. (forecast for rain this week:mad:)

Well, i will let you guys know how it goes if i fly.

Also i am interested if any one is doing flight training currently also and how it is going for them.

21 minutes ago, worir4 said:

Hey thank for the words of encouragement.

I have been playing plane games and simulators long before i started flying so i am already used to the instruments. The biggest difference i really notice are the forces you feel. I think i have a pretty good idea what kerbals experience when you do even a 3g turn or negative g maneuver with them. I felt quite sick when i first started but in my last lesson i felt nothing so i guess i am getting used to it. 

As for what i have covered so far, i have done spiral dives (best thing ever!) and slow flight. But i have not done stalls yet. My next lesson is on flying level at high speeds. 

And finally, of course i am having fun! It is the best experience of my life so far. I look forwards to every Wednesday and i have become sort of obsessed with checking the weather for that day. (forecast for rain this week:mad:)

Well, i will let you guys know how it goes if i fly.

Also i am interested if any one is doing flight training currently also and how it is going for them.

Smile - your enthusiasm is infectious; I love reading your posts. Just one thing - and this might seem strange at first blush. You said: "I have been playing plane games and simulators long before i started flying so i am already used to the instruments."

OK - reality check, Worir4.

No, you are NOT used to the instruments. The instrument flight exam is one of the hardest courses in the civil aviation arena - I failed it my first attempt with, if I recall, 460 hours, numerous ratings and damn near a decade of flight behind me. Do NOT be fooled by the very weak and inaccurate model presented by PC simulators. Sims are excellent nowadays, but they cannot replicate the fear, uncertainty and self-doubt that presents itself when you have to fly an aircraft totally blind. You HAVE to know your instruments PERFECTLY - you have to - to use the Heinlein term - grok them in a way sims cannot even begin to replicate. Put the computer sims on the shelf, and concentrate on your flying. Start from fresh and be ABSOLUTELY aware that you're starting from fresh. Anything else can get you killed - and in as little as eleven more flights that becomes a very real possibility since your instructor won't be there when you solo.

Sorry; but I've been flying too long to let things slide. Never forget that any PC experience you have counts for less than nothing - it teaches little save bad ideas and wrong beliefs. Forget PC sims and listen to your teacher.

Edited by NorthernDevo

Uhhh, no flight again today. Too windy. I got in the plane, started engines, did taxi checks and then... Tower called to say the windspeed at 2000ft had increased so my instructor said there was no point in going. Oh well. I didn't have to pay for anything at least.

Also i got my eye report and i have -3 diopter which is well within the limit of -6. =) That was my biggest worry gone now.:D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't believe I only just saw this thread.

Congrats! From what you're 'saying', it sounds like a lot of fun (The flying is at least, right?), good luck on getting your degree, You can officially declare yourself as some of the only people who can claim they reached for the sky! :)

Excellent weather today. Not a cloud in sight.

This was my favorite lesson so far. I did stall recovery today. On the stall i got a feeling of weightlessness and during the pull out of the dive i could feel my face stretch under the Gs.

Also i didn't feel sick at all. I think i have got used to flying now so i don't feel sick any more which makes the lessons a lot more enjoyable.

Also i have got used to using the radio mostly.

I think i have almost finished the basic learning of 'how to fly' lessons. Next week is practicing a circuit (Clouds and wind stay away please) :D 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So i passed my first year :cool: and i am looking forward to the next, 

I have learned so much and got to do cool things like design my own aircraft, plan flights and other things.

If there is anyone reading this who is considering a similar course, i definitely recommend it. I got a lot out of it and it is not all about the piloting part. There is quite a lot of the engineering side included and next year there is also the business aspect :funds: and also airport management, so if you do this course you will get a wide range of knowledge that will be useful in almost any job in the field. 

Once again, thanks to all of you for the advise.:D

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.