Realistic Progression from Zero, Peenemünde Edition - Longplay Carreer

Nobody6

Hello,

since playing a big modpack like RP-0 tends to cause problems whenever a new version is released, I have so far given up three carrier game that became unstable. However, playing the "same" thing over and over again did somewhat reduce my enthusiasm. In order to regain that I thought that sharing my new attempt in 1.1.3 and - hopefully - discussing it with others might help.

And there we are, my very fist attempt of a playthrough:

So far I've launched the first sounding rocket (plus 1 failure) fixed some issues and put a bigger rocket (A-4 recreation) in the queue.

Lauch # Date and Time Name Outcome
1 January 16, 1951, 8:30 Aerobee WAC HFR I FAILURE, wings ripped off, explosion in flight
2 January 31, 1951, 11:08 Aerobee WAC HFR Ia SUCCESS, altitude record: 87066 m

Any feedback would be appreciated, especially about fixing issues (like the missing clouds) and suggestions concerning the video quality and editing process. I would also like to hear you thoughts on the research direction I should take and the type of rockets I should build.

Edited by Nobody6
Better title

The European rocket program progresses nicely, as we finally got the scientist working.

We also build ourself the first true multistage (not counting the "kicker" as a stage on the sounding rockets launched in January 1951) discovering further problems with the simulation team and testfire von Braun's A-4 engine.

Adding to out list of launches:

#  Launched  Name  Outcome  Details
3  February 28, 1951, 8:34  A-4  Partial SUCCESS
  • altitude record: 199 km, impact: 77 km west
  • overcompensating steering, electrical failure during descent

Still hoping for some comments though. What do you think of the time-lapse? More, less or should I not bother and time-lapse the whole video?

Edited by Nobody6

• 3 weeks later...

ESA keeps working and progresses to bigger and more powerful rockets.

This time we properly fly the first rocket using liquid fuels in two stages, that was build in part 2. With that knowledge the next rocket, now with 3 liquid stages is ordered. It's also meant to reenter and has a parachute. Heat-shields, however, are unavailable. Can this work?

Flight result:

# Launched Name Outcome Altitude Details
4 March 17, 1951, 8:30 Aerobee WAC MS I Partial FAILURE 224 km performance loss of final stage

Things aren't looking too well. Hopefully a flatter trajectory will allow recovering parts of the next rocket and fulfilling the historic Russian mission.

See you at the launchsite. Until next time.

P.S.: This video was supposed to be edited in Blender, but the outcome didn't match the preview. Also it was slow and the file gigantic (5 times the size it is now). Anyway I don't suppose doing the editing twice increased the quality. If you have tipps how to improve my editing or make Blender work properly, please send me a note.

• 4 weeks later...

Onwards ESA goes!

First off, I need to fix something with the rocket ordered last time, before we start planning the first manned mission. However, testflights show problems, which means that the actual flight will have to be executed with uttermost care to prevent disaster.

I also attempt to fulfill a historic soviet contract, which requires recovering something after a space-hop.

Flight result:

# Launched Name Outcome Details Altitude
5 April 20, 1951, 8:20 A-4 Aerobee WAC I Failure Burned up on reentry 696 km

On the technical side, I still have problems with the audio going out of sync when recording longer segments. Any ideas how to fix or prevent that that in Open Broadcaster Software?

• 1 month later...

It has been a while...

Anyway since I was a bit sick I had the time to continue my playthrough as European space agency (not that I have any European parts yet).

This time we race against the calender to finish a mission (courtesy by the Russian space agency) to recover a probe core intact after a suborbital spaceflight. So far we failed miserably. Will we make it. We even had to postpone our manned mission for it, which btw has always failed in simulation. However the crew is confident it will survive if they remember to shut the engine off in time...

Flight results:

6 May 6, 1951, 15:28 Aerobee WAC HFR II Success core recovered 285.7 km
7 June 16, 1951, 9:31 Manned A4 Success First manned Mission 39998 m

Technical notes:

This is still (and probably will remain) a 1.1.3 game, but there a still things I would like to fix, like the clouds. If you know how to do that in RSS please contact me.

16 hours ago, Matuchkin said:

I have absolutely no idea why there is no answer. People tend to like this kind of thing. I know I do.

Well I could think of a number of reasons. e.g.:

- maybe I'm too boring, and the progress is too slow, the episodes too long, etc.

- not enough explosions

- I'm not telling a story, just presenting my game / alternative history

- awkward aspect ratio

- bad audio (should be better in the future)

- not enough and irregular updates

It's even harder for me because I'm running stock in my story/first career mode save. Of course everyone has done that before.

Just keep updating and people will come around eventually.

I think there's not much response is because some people may not be able to watch videos anywhere, because it eats up considerable mobile data ( although I don't use a phone myself )

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @grosser_Salat

That particular "tutorial" didn't help me, but PhineasFreak apparently just released his RSSVE-mod which as far as I can tell makes everything work magically ^^.

I'm looking forward to making episode 7 now. It's too late for six though, which should be rendering right now.

https://github.com/PhineasFreak/RSSVE/wiki/Installation

Edited by Nobody6
forgot the link

After many delays it's time for episode 6!

Well, this might be quite boring as I start a monologue about what I want to looking at available contracts and the research. To investigate if I can reach 3000 km with my current technology I design a rocket (offscreen I believe) and then start simulating it. Half a dozen times. Kerbal typical mistakes aside I fail to achieve this goal. Since that gave me plenty of material, there is no actual launch this time.

Now to the viewer questions:

1. Should I continue to make videos from the full material, or should I switch to highlights only?
  2. What do think I should prioritize in regards to research? Bigger rockets or better technologies (for smaller probes)?

• 10 months later...

Wow, it has been a long time indeed. Welcome back!
I have moved this game to 1.2.2 which causes some confusion throughout the video.

There a two actual launches this time, and clouds to work in the new version as well:

8 June 30, 1951, 8:27 WAD HFR III Success Probe recovered 209 km
9 August 8, 1951, 12:23 A4 Super Sonic Crewed Test 1 Success Crew (Jeb) recovered 233 km

• 1 month later...

Hello and welcome back to Peenemünde!

This rather short episode was originally supposed to be part of episode 7 and recorded at the same time. Anyway, I start by looking at the parts that were just researched and then design a rocket using some of them. The episode finishes by flying said rocket.

10 September 20, 1951, 14:38 Able-Explorer I Success   539 km

Edited by Nobody6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.