Through Hardships to the Stars [Chapter 32 - Something Big II]

TheEpicSquared

So I've finally got all the screenshots done, but since it's 10 pm now for me, I'll post them tomorrow after school.

Also, I'm having trouble thinking up a new name for this thread. I want to change it since I think it's widening out from just huge/awesome stuff and more into a career-type storyline. Does anyone have any ideas? :) 

--- START 1.2 ---

CHAPTER 6: NEW BEGINNINGS

The universe was now dead. black-screen.png

Not a single thing existed... except for 3 small white dots that had somehow escaped the wrath of space and time, and an orange-ish smudge of colour.UEAwFGi.jpg

The 3 white dots were slowly collecting all the information from the now dead universe. After all, everything had to go somewhere, right?

And that somewhere was the orange-brown smudge. All the information was being focused on a singular point by some mystic force of the universe, and was slowly expanding to replace the dead universe. Time was not dead. History was not dead. Instead time would go on, and history would be repeated.

And history was repeated. Soon a solar system had popped into existence, with a life form evolving quickly. These life forms were short and green, and were called Kerbals. Their homeworld was called Kerbin; a world with every possible colour.270px-TinyKerbin.png

The kerbals' brains evolved quickly, and they were soon very technologically advanced. This advancement, however, came at a price. Nuclear weapons were developed. War was waged.

miscellaneous_nuclear_explosion_explosio

Huge cities, filled with millions of kerbals were destroyed. The surface was so utterly irradiated that nobody dared step outside.

So the few surviving kerbals fled underground. Eventually nature took over the desolate surface, and only ancient structures, built of stone, survived.2ro11sj.png

The surface and atmosphere were so poisonous anyone venturing outside had to wear a special suit to stay safe.wtN3D5D.png

But eventually, the surface became less hostile. And so, instead of looking down at the ground they were living in, they decided to look up to the moon and the stars above them.

And so the space program was born.

A huge complex was built, solely for the purpose of exploring space.                       300px-Runway.jpg

And after years of research, an orbital class booster was built, named Kerbin 1. INQ7yid.png

It was an all-solid rocket, with a spin-stabilized upper stage. It's maiden flight would carry the K-Sat 1 satellite, a tiny probe weighing just 100kg. q0cM4Ca.png

The rocket was rolled out to the launchpad on a beautiful, cloudless day. xhRQPeP.png

Pre-flight checks were completed and the countdown started.

We have liftoff!

2xz4wCK.png

The 4 radially attached SRBs ignited and lifted the craft into the sky.

Soon, the side SRBs ran out of fuel and were jettisoned, and the central BACC SRB ignited.X4XscI1.png

The BACC pushed the craft's apoapsis well into space, and it along with the fairing was jettisoned as it passed through the upper atmosphere.9NImHQh.png

Just before apoapsis, the Sepratrons ignited to start spinning the craft. hjBSkfb.png

The mechanical timer then ignited the Flea SRBDPvffzU.png

The Sepratrons ran out of fuel and the Flea carried on alone. MY58O9o.png

When the Flea ran out of propellant, engineers nervously checked the data... and found that the craft was in a stable orbit! Cheers went up in mission control. mJlSInv.png

At apoapsis, K-Sat 1 was released, marking the end of a successful mission.

v4B6svU.png

With K-Sat 1 in orbit, the kovernment went ahead and put funds into the project.

The Kerbal Space Program was ready to launch.

Gah! Schoolwork :( Chapter out tomorrow probably.

Also, I've downloaded OPM. Hopefully that won't mess up this save, or I'll have to start over. Ah well, I only have one satellite in orbit anyway, shouldn't be too hard to replicate :P 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

18 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Gah! Schoolwork :( Chapter out tomorrow probably.

Also, I've downloaded OPM. Hopefully that won't mess up this save, or I'll have to start over. Ah well, I only have one satellite in orbit anyway, shouldn't be too hard to replicate :P 

As long as the satellite isn't in orbit of Eeloo, everything should be fine!

CHAPTER 7: FURTHER THAN ANY KERBAL HAS GONE BEFORE

After the success of K-Sat 1, funding poured in for a new and more powerful launch vehicle, called the Kerbin 2. DYody3f.png

The major change from Kerbin 1 to Kerbin 2 was the switch from solid fuel to the more predictable and controllable liquid fuel + oxidizer. The core was powered by a Swivel engine and 2 SpaceY 09S SRBs for more thrust. Its first mission was to launch the K-Sat 2 satellite - a much more massive probe full of science experiments, and also its own propulsion system.WqcVjaG.png

After development, one early morning, K-Sat 2 was launched.B10uXZF.png

Y4Kjf38.png

The rocket soared off the pad, with its ridiculous TWR of just over 3. Then, the boosters flamed out and were jettisoned. dRLvYvw.png

The Swivel engine soldiered on alone. MoT9N4z.png

3g8rHMi.png

The first stage was separated when it ran out of propellant.daFvIGC.png

"There go the fairings!" said the launch commentator.Ie3YzHX.png

The second stage completed orbit boringly to plan.UOXOrqH.png

This was supposed to be the final orbit. However, when seeing the huge amount of fuel left in the second stage tank, mission director Dundun Kerman said "unacceptable!". And so the decision was made. K-Sat 2 would burn for the Mun. 

Nq964MC.png

After a very precise burn, a Mun encounter was achieved. D0zNqK8.png

The gravity assist from the Mun would kick K-Sat 2 out to the very edge of Kerbin's sphere of influence, enabling it to collect scientific data from every part of Kerbin's SoI. With mission control satisfied with the trajectory, K-Sat 2 separated. PTX3MYA.png

But there was a surprise in store. When an intern switched back to the upper stage, he found that the force of the decoupler had altered the stage's trajectory. The force was not large, but the results were hugely significant.p9YNY3i.png

K-Sat 2's upper stage would become the first ever kerbal-made object to enter orbit of Kerbol.

The intern, a young chap called Jebediah Kerman, immediately reported the discovery to mission director Dundun, who was stunned. So a party was organized (complete with snacks), with the entire KSC staff rejoicing at the success of the mission.

A few hours later, K-Sat 2 entered the Mun's SoI.

9JP98cr.png

And then another mission change was announced. To test the propulsion system, K-Sat 2 would attempt to enter a highly elliptical orbit of the Mun. A maneuver was hastily set up, and the satellite fired up its engines as soon as it regained communication. zPyrsrM.png

[Sorry about it being so dark. I should probably download Ambient Light Adjustment.]

A few tense seconds later, data was transmitted to the KSC.

K-Sat 2 was in orbit around the Mun.6wkJ88J.png

It was said that the cheering could be heard from 12 kilometers away. Hardfield Kerman, head of the Kerbal Space Program, was reported to say, "It's incredible! It's only our second sat, and we're already in orbit around the Mun. And in a few hours, we'll be in Kerbolar orbit as well! It's.. it's.. it's fantastic!"

A few hours later, just as Hardfield Kerman said, the upper stage of the K-Sat 2 mission left Kerbin's SoI, and entered Kerbol orbit. Spc2MYv.png

With the news of the success reaching every nook and cranny of Kerbin, Hardfield Kerman decided it was time for something more serious.It was time to send a Kerbal into orbit.

Many kerbals were tested, but only 4 passed the harsh training for the kerbonaut program: Jebediah, Bill, Bob and Valentina Kerman. Eventually Jeb was selected for his unusual courage and high resourcefulness. A small capsule was constructed and extensively tested, called the Merkury. x5Oqf1d.png

It was bolted to the top of the biggest rocket yet, the Kerbin 3.X6xVRwO.png

It was roughly noon when Merkury Ex-1, with Jeb inside, launched.53xSoDt.png

The ascent went nominally. y4KfvZU.png

Jeb felt a jolt as the first stage and the launch escape system separated.Dy7KyGK.png

At apoapsis, the Skipper engine re-ignited to officially put Jebediah not only into orbit, but also into the history books as the first Kerbal in orbit.

B7ugE4W.png

A mere 10 seconds later, the Merkury CSM separated with a jolt from the upper stage, officially marking Jebediah as the first Kerbal in space.IiPISoH.png

After about half an orbit, in the sun, Jeb then set out to claim another first. He put on his EVA suit, depressurized the capsule, opened the hatch and stepped outside.qw8JqMl.png

He soon grew more confident, switched on his EVA pack and carefully made his way away from the Merkury CSM.p76Dz39.png

All too soon, it was time to board the craft once again, as his air supply was running low.

One day later, Jeb fired up the 2 Puff monoprop engines and began the (long) deorbit burn.htcW11S.png

In fact it was so long that the engines had to continue burning well into the atmosphere, so deep that the plasma trails completely engulfed the craft, and the atmospheric forces caused it to turn the wrong way around. 0eURhT2.png

It was here that Jeb's quick thinking came into play. He manually detached the capsule from the service module, and fortunately the pod flipped the right way around. Unfortunately, this rapid flipping meant Jeb had to endure over 18Gs.

Soon, all 3 parachutes deployed and Jeb was floating down nice and slowly.syzzFGO.png

Splashdown!LaYP9iR.png

An unmanned Gull seaplane was sent out to retrieve Jeb.IyYP50b.png

After recovery, Jeb was awarded 1 Gold Star award from Kerbin's president Bonfield Kerman, and the Kerbal Space Program was awarded huge sums of money for further development. BeiiNjf.png

Jeb, in a later statement, said, "It was an amazing experience. Even reentry, it was nerve-shattering but exciting at the same time. I guess the fact that flaming tendrils of death are just centimeters away from you serves as a good way to get the adrenaline going. On a more serious note, for now I have gone higher, further and faster than any Kerbal before me. But I hope these records are beaten, that Kerbals go faster, further and higher than me, so that us Kerbals can stand together and charge out into space, to the Mun, Minmus and other planets, to advance space exploration; because space, not Kerbin, is the rightful home of Kerbalkind."

Edited by TheEpicSquared

Another chapter, folks! :) 

This one's a bit shorter, since I had originally planned for both Chapter 8 and Chapter 9 to be one chapter, but I found that it would fit better as 2 chapters since this one ends in a cliff-hanger.

CHAPTER 8: MERKURY-APPALOOSA

The Kerbal Space Program had a problem. They wanted more contact with their probes, but satellites in LKO would get blocked by Kerbin way too often. The solution? Keo-stationary orbit above the KSC.

And so a test satellite was built, KEOSAT-1 [I forgot to take screenshots again. Whoops :P]

It was launched on a Kerbin 3 rocket, which was quickly becoming the first choice when launching satellites.g6vCT4D.png

Launch was uneventful and soon KEOSAT-1 was in its parking orbit.L4jcMK9.png

The second stage Skipper engine then propelled the satellite to roughly Keo-stationary altitude, and KEOSAT-1 separated.0b36gT0.png

A few days later (and a lot of extremely low thrust engine burns) exact Keo-stationary orbit was achieved - apoapsis and periapsis both 2,863,333m. 963Hu29.png

With the mission a complete success, it was time to move on to the KSP's next goal - to send 2 kerbals to space at once. 

This was what the engineers at the KSC were assigned to. So they took the existing Merkury CSM and added a "backseat", called Appaloosa. Then they added the usual utility stuff (solar panels, engines, fuel, batteries, etc.). m5riTYk.png

The new Merkury-Appaloosa was bolted on to the trusty Kerbin 3 rocket. QtDDPau.png

Valentina Kerman, the fourth kerbal to be selected for the kerbonaut program, was selected as the pilot for the mission, called Merkury-Appaloosa Ex-1. Joining the ride was a new engineer named Mitmon Kerman. He was a quick-thinking, resourceful kerbal with a passion in engineering and spaceflight - a perfect candidate for the kerbonaut program.

The first stage operated flawlessly and pushed Val and Mitmon high into the sky.khByMoZ.png

The first stage separated and the second stage ignited.4TShbzH.png

It was then that mission control noticed a problem.Weighing in at just over 11 tons, it was too heavy for the Kerbin 3 to lift into orbit! The second stage ran out of fuel only 30 kilometers above the sea, leaving VAl and Mitmon's capsule swaying back and forth. Mitmon, deciding it would be too risky to reenter the lower atmosphere with the second stage still atached, hit the abort button.YYHCg18.png

The capsule was jolted away from the second stage. But there was another problem. The launch escape system was only designed for the first few minutes of launch, where the speeds were not high enough to heat up the spacecraft. This meant that the heatshield was decoupled as well as the malfunctioning rocket when the launch escape system activated. This was fine for when the rocket was just meters off the ground and speeds were roughly 50 m/s. However, at 1700 m/s, it was a different story. The Appaloosa extension, with Val in it, severely overheated when it was exposed to the superheated atmosphere. Val could no longer use the metal control joystick, as it was too hot to touch. Her window was melting. Mitmon, as much as he wanted to help, could do nothing, as he was trapped in his Mk1 pod.

Back at mission control, tensions were high as the prospects of disaster hung over everyone's heads. Would there be a tragedy, so soon after the KSP's birth? Would the KSP be remembered for burning a Kerbal alive, rather than progressing technological innovation? These were all questions that would be answered in just a few moments, when the capsule slowed down enough that the plasma trails would disappear.

The last thing that mission control could hear from Merkury-Appaloosa Ex-1 was a bone-chilling, blood-curdling scream of pain: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

And then...

Silence.

Edited by TheEpicSquared

CHAPTER 9: MOVING FORWARD

Radio contact may have been lost, but that didn't mean that things weren't happening. Inside the Appaloosa pod extension, Val was desperately opening her water reserves and dousing the walls and herself with it. The water evaporated as soon as it hit the walls of the pod, but Valentina did succeed with making the heat more bearable by dousing herself with several canisters of water.

Just a little longer, she thought, as she watched the velocity indicator. She knew that the plasma trails would disappear at roughly 900 m/s. Their current speed was 1600 m/s. 

The heat was getting to her now. Droplets of sweat dripped into Valentina's eyes and clouded her vision. She could hear Mitmon yelling, "Hang in there, Val! We're almost home!" She tried to focus on the voice. Focus, she told herself. But it was a battle that was already lost. As the felt the heat overpower her, Valentina screamed and desperately reached for her last water bottle. She grabbed it just as she lost the rest of her strength. The last thing she saw was the open water bottle hitting the floor of the cabin, and the water drops being flung onto the searing floor and being transformed into swirling puffs of steam. The steam... so beautiful, thought Val, and then everything went black.

Up in the Mk1 cockpit, Mitmon knew he would have to control the craft from now on. Trying to focus on controlling the capsule instead of Valentina screaming, Mitmon started by detaching the spent launch escape system.WB4guuz.png

[Please ignore the fact that Val and MItmon are both wearing huge grins in the above picture...]

Mitmon then waited for a few seconds until it was safe to deploy the drogues, and then did so.5ChQWGd.png

Then the main chutes deployed, slowing the capsule to just 6 m/s.P7JY84c.png

[Ignore their facial expressions here as well, please]

Mitmon finally re-established contact with mission control, and reported Valentina's health - unconscious but alive. The KSC medics immediately informed Mitmon on how to treat Valentina. This method primarily involved water being dumped on Val's face to cool her down and wake her up. By splashdown, Valentina was conscious, but had a terribly high fever. fVUVHFP.png

[Yes, the facial expressions here should be ignored as well... thanks for asking]

As soon as the pod splashed down, Mitmon radioed their coordinates and a Whiplash 1 unmanned plane was sent out to recover them.4Ktb3s5.png

fwZS3HP.png

U4Koatd.png

Mitmon dragged Val into the plane and soon they were both safe and sound back at the KSC.

Hardfield Kerman, head of the KSP, said later in an official statement, "We can confirm that both Mitmon and Valentina are safe, and Valentina has suffered no permanent damage from her heatstroke and fever. We are continuing to investigate the incident, and we are now in the process of altering out launch escape system. In future, The heatshield will not decouple with the rest of the craft, instead it will remain attached to the capsule until it is deemed safe to jettison it. Until these changes can be made, the KSP is suspending all planned Merkury and Merkury-Appaloosa flights. We will also design and build a new lifter, capable of lifting the Merkury-Appaloosa CSM. Until that time, all future space exploration will be conducted with unkerballed probes. Thank you."

True to his word, Hardfield had all planned kerballed flights suspended until a later date. This, however, did not deter the space agency one bit. Just a few days later, Muna 1 was built, with the intention of landing on the Mun.rFbPn46.png

This was attached to  Kerbin 3 rocket. At first, this caused some concerns, but these dissipated when it was revealed that Muna 1 only weighed 1.3 tons, well within the capability of the Kerbin 3.

[This is weird. I took screenshots of Muna 1 atop Kerbin 3 and screenshot of launch, but I can't find them anywhere. I guess we'll have to skip to orbit then.]

Launch was uneventful and soon Muna 1 was in LKO.c5Hdsmj.png

The second stage then pushed the lander towards a Mun encounter.smMCgcP.png

A quick course adjustment burn moved the trajectory over the poles.AUVvLph.png

The second stage proceeded to brake into Low Munar Orbit (LMO) and then into a suborbital trajectory, and then Muna 1 separated and started its landing burn.ckR1YjT.png

The last part of the landing process would be handled by the onboard computer, as a crater ridge would block Muna 1 from the KSC's view.

Everyone held their breath for a few tense seconds...

And then they erupted into cheers as Muna 1 re-established contact with the KSC, safe and sound on the surface of the Mun.T0DdSVo.png

"It's a great moment for the Kerbal Space Program," said Hardfield Kerman. "This proved to the rest of the world that we are truly capable of reaching other worlds. But we definitely won't stop here. We'll keep on pushing and even though there will be setbacks, we will fulfill the ultimate Kerbalkind goal of conquering space."

Chapter 10 incoming! :D 

CHAPTER 10: THE MUN AND BRUMBY

The KSP continued pushing the envelope with another mission - the most ambitious, complex mission yet: to land a rover and lander on the Mun. The mission was named Muna 2.

he rover itself wasn't the hard part, just some wheels, a probe core and every science experiment that would fit.cQF34rO.png

It was powered by a new experimental energy technology: the radio-isotope thermo-electric generator, or RTG. This used the natural decay of the radioactive element Blutonium-238, and harnessed the energy from the decaying atoms to transform it into usable electricity. Unfortunately this was quite heavy, and so the whole rover, named Explorer, weighed 751 kilograms.

The lander (also powered by an RTG) was the difficult part. The rover was too big to fit in a service bay, so it had to be bolted onto the side. This meant that the center of mass would not be aligned with the center of thrust, resulting in the whole thing flipping uncontrollably. The solution? Rotate the engine. YSDJKQa.png

This highly unusual lander/rover combination worked perfectly in komputer simulations, so Hardfield Kerman, although somewhat doubtful of the plan, gave the go-ahead. The mission (Muna 2) was bolted on top of the trusty Kerbin 3 rocket. srcgAFW.png

It was the KSP's first night launch. This just served to make the rocket exhaust look even more amazing, so there was no downside to launching at night.qsZ74Rt.png

Launch was uneventful and soon Muna 2 was in LKO.NavLCyV.png

A health check was performed in orbit. All systems looked nominal, so one obit later, a Mun encounter was achieved. lVrB9xY.png

The Skipper engine on the upper stage inserted Muna 2 into Low Munar Orbit (LMO) as planned. gM0wrYE.png

Then, Muna 2 detached and began it's deorbit burn. As the simulations predicted, it didn't flip out.Sd5ld1r.png

Muna 2 canceled out almost all of its horixontal velocity and started retro-burning vertically.AGMpPXo.png

[For some reason the plume didn't show up... weird.]

Geently...

QIbwYRg.png

Geeently... everyone at the KSC held their breaths. sZSRDAd.png

Touchdown!

The onboard komputer detached the Explorer rover, and the whole of mission control collectively cheered and clapped as an astounding image came through.KDtfgw6.png

The rover looked to be functioning perfectly. Even the lights were working! The Explorer rover could now start its mission of, well, exploring.

Only a few days later, news came in: the KSP was ready for kerballed missions again. The boffins at R&D had took the 2-seater design of the Merkury-Appaloosa, and instead of having one seat below the other, they were moved side by side, like in a car. The result? The Brumby CSM.17mwFJl.png

To reduce complexity, the only fuel was monopropellant, for both the main engines and the RCS. The launch escape system was also revamped, with the most important change being the fact that the heatshield would remain attached the capsule, to prevent incidents like Merkury-Appaloosa Ex-1. 

The actual physical LES tower was also changed. It was longer and more aerodynamic, and instead of detaching by means of a decoupler, it detached with a docking port. This was to enable another big improvement in the Brumby CSM: docking. The magnetic Junior Docking Port enabled two craft to stay firmly attached and share resources, and even transfer kerbals. It was top-notch stuff in the aerospace industry. It was also lighter than the Merkury-Appaloosa, which was another improvement.

Even though the Brumby was lighter than the Merkury-Appaloosa, the KSP was not going to risk not having enough Delta-V to reach orbit, and instead built a lifter specifically for the Brumby CSM. It was called Cormorant-Brumby. There were also plans to evolve this Cormorant-Brumby booster into a proper launch vehicle, but that would come later.

For now, the Brumby CSM would be the only payload it would carry. 8g9hQIM.png

The booster was an evolved version of the Kerbin 3. The second stage was lengthened, but the same Skipper engien was retained. The first stage was also lengthened, and a more powerful engine - the Mainsail - was developed to lift these large weights.

Jebediah and Bill would form the crew of Brumby Ex-1, since Valentina was still recovering from her incident.

The Mainsail engine had no trouble pushing the craft off the launchpad.cCH8P8q.png

A standard gravity turn was followed, as planned. okUbMsn.png

Then, the Mainsail flamed out, the first stage separated and the Skipper kicked in, all in the matter of a few seconds.CHzYrPp.png

Jebediah managed to catch a picture of ascent from inside the pod.uIOsGZp.png

A short while later, a jolt made the pod rattle and Jeb exclaimed, "There goes the launch escape system!"fXasHm8.png

The rest of the ascent went according to plan and soon Brumby Ex-1 was in orbit, and detached from the second stage.

rQcxfni.png

[I'm loving how much this looks like the real Gemini. I would definitely recommend the mod, Mark One Laboratory Extensions.]

The large windows resulted in fantastic views of Kerbin.hzoyEEA.png

Bill flipped a switch and the solar panels deployed. Both Jeb and Bill were loving how sleek and modern this spacecraft was. Nothing like the clunky Mk1 pods they had just a while ago.7fUWFEC.png

The first test came at apoapsis - the new "Oxygen" monoprop engines were tested, could they circularize the orbit? Yes they could.wh7UWxt.png

Then, in daylight, Bill got down to business. He went on his planned EVA, to test out the functionality of the new and improved EVA suits. He tested the suit's dexteritay and flexibility by manually retracting both solar panels.kdRBWU6.png

DroRwxD.png

Jeb managed to take a photo of Bill floating about.8pCVAUX.png

With EVA activities over, Bill got back in. But they weren't going to deorbit just yet. No, they were going to stay in orbit and wait for Brumby Ex-2, which, if everything went to plan, would dock to Brumby Ex-1.

Ex-2 launched with Valentina, who had recovered, and Bob Kerman, a skilled scientist.oEawhn5.png

Launch went perfectly (much to Val's relief) and soon Ex-2 was in a 71km orbit, waiting to catch up with Ex-1.Z7fqfuK.png

A few orbits later, Ex-2 was directly below Ex-1, and Val gunned the monoprop engines to achieve a closest approach of 7.4km. Not bad for a first rendezvous.JLZ29oo.png

Valentina killed off their relative velocity with a quick burn of the engines.SZFj9cQ.png

Ex-2 closed in on Ex-1.7UfBCcO.png

Jeb took a picture of Ex-2 from inside his Ex-1 and radioed to Bill, "Hey, how you doing?"

Bill replied, "We're doing well, be advised we are going in to dock."uXvQ7e1.png

A few short moments later, the magnetic forces of the 2 Junior docking ports pulled the 2 craft together.

"We have docked," radioed Jeb to mission control.

"Affirmative, we have docked," echoed in Valentina from inside her capsule.

"Roger, we see you on radar. Well don kerbs!" replied Hardfield Kerman, who was in mission control.aOtosmY.png

After a while of testing systems and making sure everything was fine, Jeb undocked his capsule, Ex-1, from Val's. One orbit later, Jeb gunned the monoprop engines and deorbited the spacecraft. Upon entering the atmosphere, the service module was detached.6i5KAig.png

Plasma trails quickly surrounded the capsule, but the new and improved heatshield kept the interior nice and cool.fzQ9wIc.png

Both drogue chutes deployed, followed by the three main chutes.OrGO4AM.png

The capsule touched down a bit west of the KSC, marking the end of a successful mission.0r3sWog.png

A few hours later, Val's Brumby capsule also deorbited and parachuted down, only 8 kilometers from Jeb's pod.WmWAX6r.png

mDgX7eM.png

A Whiplash 2 unmanned plane was sent out to retrieve the four pilots.YqDSXTE.png

With 3 successful missions in a row, the KSP had gained enough confidence to go out even further into space. Next stop: Duna.

Edited by TheEpicSquared

5 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

For future references, you can cut out the HUD and all that from the screen by pressing F-2, so you can cut out the kerbals faces, navball, stages, etc.

Yeah I know that, the thing is that I made up the "Valentina is overheating" thing after I took the screenshots, originally it was supposed to show off how fearless Val was. I changed it because the "Val's overheating" scenario is more dramatic than the "Val's fearless" scenario :P 

Just now, TheEpicSquared said:

Yeah I know that, the thing is that I made up the "Valentina is overheating" thing after I took the screenshots, originally it was supposed to show off how fearless Val was. I changed it because the "Val's overheating" scenario is more dramatic than the "Val's fearless" scenario :P 

Oh ok. Nevermind then!

9 hours ago, Kosmonaut said:

Duna? DUNA? That's ambitious. Sending kerbals to Duna before you send them to the Mun? I'm looking forward to this...

Actually, I originally meant sending out probes to Duna, not kerbals. But your comment may have changed my mind... we'll have to see later today, when chapter 11 is released. :) 

EDIT: Actually, I just found out a plot twist that would give me a viable reason to send kerbals to Duna before the Mun. Stay tuned! Spoiler:

Spoiler

Where's an asteroid when you need one?

Edited by TheEpicSquared

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.