Through Hardships to the Stars [Chapter 32 - Something Big II]

TheEpicSquared

*Montage, Part 2* 

I had to phone someone so I picked on you ho ho 

*cargo rocket docks* 

Hey, that's far out so you heard him too! o o 

*Due to a mixup, the wrong cargo container was sent up; this one is labeled BIOHAZARD:HORRIFYING CREATURES*

Switch on the TV we may pick him up on channel two 

*Back on Kerbin, researchers find a container labeled ICS COMPONENTS, which is odd, because they're researching the Aliens from Alien

Look out your window I can see his light alright 

*At the ICS construction dock, Kerbals run around screaming in the habitat, which is rotating for artificial gravity. Aliens run after them* 

If we can sparkle he may land tonight alright 

*Screen switches to:

hECiL2G.jpg 

Don't tell your poppa or he'll get us locked up in fright 

*Kerbals in Walt outfits storm the construction dock, fogging the Aliens* 

TO BE CONTINUED

On 4/2/2017 at 2:33 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

With two successful missions, Hardfield should have been able to relax.

But he couldn't. Something was bugging him. The Hybridium had said "something big" was coming. Hardfield couldn't stop fretting about this. What could it be? He hadn't told Caldos about it, for whatever reason.

However, nothing much had happened. He was beginning to wonder if it had all been a bluff.

A frantic knock at his office door snapped Hardfield out of his thoughts.

"Come in!"

"Sir, you've got to see this, sir!" Lodfurt exclaimed. Without waiting for a response, he slapped a picture onto Hardfield's desk.OEPA6KB.png

"What is it, Lodfurt? I don't see anything unusual."

Lodfurt pointed to the outermost ring. "We just picked up this... thing with the Kerbol Space Telescope. It's clearly some type of celestial body..."

"An asteroid?" Hardfield asked.

"No, it's much too massive. We have no idea what it is! We can only assume it's a rogue planet of some sort, that made its way into our system."

Just then, an intern bolted into Hardfield's office. "Mr Lodfurt, more images just came in!" Trembling a little, the intern continued, "I think you'll want to see these... they just came in from the Kerbol Space Telescope..."

Another picture was put on the desk.pPzeZDz.png

"By SQUAD... it's..."

"Oh, Hardfield... you have no idea what you just got yourself into..."

(heart attack).......................a-a-a b-b-black hole...........................................help................................

CHAPTER 32: SOMETHING BIG II

"By SQUAD... it's a black hole!" Hardfield exclaimed, in utter shock.

"I-i-it would seem so, Mr Hardfield..." the intern trembled.

Hardfield slowly sipped his cup of tea. His mind was whirling.

"Lodfurt, does this pose a threat to the solar system?" he asked.

"Ehmm, well, it's hard to tell from these early data pieces, but it seems it's in a stable orbit. But how? By all accounts, it's impossible! And how... how come the solar system isn't going haywire, with planets going everywhere?"

"I have no idea," Hardfield replied, still visibly shaken. "How far away is it?"

"Rough estimates suggest roughly 1.57 billion kilometers from Kerbol, give or take a few million kilometers. However, the Kerbol Space Telescope is only  so accurate. It's the most powerful telescope in our arsenal, but the only way of getting a sure answer is sending a probe there."

"But... it's 1.57 billion kilometers away! How-how are we going to get there in a reasonable time span? It's impossible!" Hardfield replied incredulously.

"Yeah, that's the problem. Unless we develop a new form of propulsion, this black hole system remains out of reach for the foreseeable future. It's going to take four years just to get to Jool - how are we supposed to get to this?

"I know a way, Hardfield... I think it's about time you tell everyone about me..."

Are you sure? Hardfield thought?

"Oh yes... go on, tell them... it'll be beneficial... to the survivability of the kerbal race..."

"Everyone, I think there may be a way," Hardfield started, "But it's a long story, so everyone take a seat."

"... And that's pretty much the story," Hardfield said when he finished telling the room about everything.

Lodfurt was clearly in disbelief at the entire story, while Caldos was just feeling shocked that Hardfield hadn't told him the Hybridium were talking to him as well.

However, when everyone had gotten over their shock, Hardfield spoke the exact words that the Hybridium had told him just moments earlier.

"A wormhole."

"A wormhole?" Lodfurt repeated, clearly baffled.

"Yes, the Hybridium told me that the black hole is accompanied by a wormhole, from Jool to the black hole. If we could engineer a craft that can somehow go through this wormhole, we would cover several hundred millions of kilometers in an instant!" Hardfield replied. He was clearly excited.

"Well... looks like we've gotten ourselves into something big, alright," Lodfurt said.

"Oh, you have... by SQUAD, you've gotten yourself into something huge... greater than you can even imagine..."

I just watched interstellar. Now, please scale up operation Lazarus. That would be absolutely fantastic!

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

On 4/29/2017 at 0:25 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

CHAPTER 32: SOMETHING BIG II

"By SQUAD... it's a black hole!" Hardfield exclaimed, in utter shock.

"I-i-it would seem so, Mr Hardfield..." the intern trembled.

Hardfield slowly sipped his cup of tea. His mind was whirling.

"Lodfurt, does this pose a threat to the solar system?" he asked.

"Ehmm, well, it's hard to tell from these early data pieces, but it seems it's in a stable orbit. But how? By all accounts, it's impossible! And how... how come the solar system isn't going haywire, with planets going everywhere?"

"I have no idea," Hardfield replied, still visibly shaken. "How far away is it?"

"Rough estimates suggest roughly 1.57 billion kilometers from Kerbol, give or take a few million kilometers. However, the Kerbol Space Telescope is only  so accurate. It's the most powerful telescope in our arsenal, but the only way of getting a sure answer is sending a probe there."

"But... it's 1.57 billion kilometers away! How-how are we going to get there in a reasonable time span? It's impossible!" Hardfield replied incredulously.

"Yeah, that's the problem. Unless we develop a new form of propulsion, this black hole system remains out of reach for the foreseeable future. It's going to take four years just to get to Jool - how are we supposed to get to this?

"I know a way, Hardfield... I think it's about time you tell everyone about me..."

Are you sure? Hardfield thought?

"Oh yes... go on, tell them... it'll be beneficial... to the survivability of the kerbal race..."

"Everyone, I think there may be a way," Hardfield started, "But it's a long story, so everyone take a seat."

"... And that's pretty much the story," Hardfield said when he finished telling the room about everything.

Lodfurt was clearly in disbelief at the entire story, while Caldos was just feeling shocked that Hardfield hadn't told him the Hybridium were talking to him as well.

However, when everyone had gotten over their shock, Hardfield spoke the exact words that the Hybridium had told him just moments earlier.

"A wormhole."

"A wormhole?" Lodfurt repeated, clearly baffled.

"Yes, the Hybridium told me that the black hole is accompanied by a wormhole, from Jool to the black hole. If we could engineer a craft that can somehow go through this wormhole, we would cover several hundred millions of kilometers in an instant!" Hardfield replied. He was clearly excited.

"Well... looks like we've gotten ourselves into something big, alright," Lodfurt said.

"Oh, you have... by SQUAD, you've gotten yourself into something huge... greater than you can even imagine..."

Oh, Forget about Duna! Off to Kargantua!

On the bright side: 

Kerbelles and gentlekerbs, I am about to present to you the finest marvel of modern rocket science known to Kerbal. Held together by only the weakest strongest duct tape, a lot of no expense was spared to bring you this craft. 

*cue Also Sprach Zarathustra* 

You'll want to tell your grandchildren about the day you rode the COOLEST! ROCKET! EVER! 

*Tarp falls down, revealing* 

THE ITS VERSION 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TM

Patent pending. .craft file pending. 

We need more... The kraken must come to convince him ov this!

I kreated an akount to misspell things and tell you it's epic now update it!;.;

On 5/19/2017 at 0:21 PM, KAL 9000 said:

@TheEpicSquared MOAR NAO! PLEASE! *breaks down and cries eye out*

KAL 9000 AI UNIT / SYSTEM: LUBRICANT FLUID LEAKAGE DETECTED. LEAK SOURCE: OPTICAL SENSOR ARRAY

You got it KAL... NOW REPAIR YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.