Through Hardships to the Stars [Chapter 32 - Something Big II]

TheEpicSquared

On 2/20/2017 at 6:35 PM, KAL 9000 said:

New idea: @TheEpicSquared, add enourmous control fins to the first stage. And bring the Procedural Interstage Fairings up so that they connect, it's messing up the aerodynamics.

Like, Tweakscale those Big-S wings and elvons to make 'em ginormous!

Ok

On 2/21/2017 at 5:07 PM, KAL 9000 said:

And I think Stage 2 needs more fuel. Can you Tweakscale up the Procedural Tank so it's taller? Thanks :).

Ok

On 2/21/2017 at 7:41 PM, Kosmonaut said:

RIP Carsie

Also, a while ago, I created a "Duna Survey". Its a very large, and has no landers. Do you want it? It involves a large scanner and a bunch of small commsats. Thoughts? THanks

Sure, thanks! I'll try to get it in chapter 29, along with KAL's ITS. :) 

1 hour ago, obney kerman said:

Dear Hardfield, I have a Minmus lander I think you should use. It is the Minmus variant of our Albatross CSM. I think you will want it. Don't worry, It has an abort system and parachutes. The Kerbals will be quite safe. Here are the specs:

Reveal hidden contents

Payload name: Minmus rocket MK1

• Payload provider: Kerbin academy of space exploration (KASE)
  • Type of payload:
  • Payload mass: 197 tons
  • Payload height: 29 meters
  • Payload length: 9.1 meters
  • Payload width: 4.3 meters
  • Payload part count: 95
  • Is the payload stock or modded: stock
  • Which body should it orbit: land on minmus 
  • Intended orbit: launch to 70 KM kerbin orbit, burn for minmus.
  • Short description of the payload A new kind of CSM
  • .Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/Obney_Kerman/Minmus-rocket-MK1

Warning: picture is misleading.

P.S. I'm sorry about Karsie. She knew the risks.

Sincerely,             Gene Kerman

Director, KASE

Thanks! I think I'll be able to get it in sometime around chapter 30. :) 

CHAPTER 28: REBELLIOUS

"Mr Hardfield, this is the last straw! The failure of JAI's Interplanetary Transport System has sealed the deal! Funding for the space program is being terminated at the end of next financial year!" 

Hardfield was at an emergency meeting of the Head of Kovernment Departments Committee. He had just heard the worst possible news.

"Sir, with all due respect, you are making a terrible mistake. And besides, JAI and SpaceY have both been working hard to redesign their rocket! It is much safer now. More control authority, better aerodynamics, better engines..."

"Mr Hardfield, this was a possibility far before the failed flight. The death of Karsie Kerman only proves our point further. The space program's funding will be redirected to other departments of the kovernment, effective at the end of next year, and that's the end of it. Do I make myself clear?"

Hardfield was enraged. "Sir, do you not realize the importance of the space program? If we cannot make it to Duna within five transfer windows, we will all die! Every kerbal alive today will be dead. And that includes you!" Hardfield wiped the sweat from his forehead, seething at the Committee's utter foolishness.

"Mr Hardfield, the matter is closed. If you wish, you will be able to bring up the topic again in time for the start of next year's financial year, but for now, we have come to a decision. Meeting adjourned!"

The other kerbals got up from their seats at the table.

"Sir, you do realize this won't stop us, do you not? Just because your signature is on a piece of paper that's locked away in a filing cabinet somewhere, that doesn't mean you can stop us launching. We have private investors, and customers that want satellites in space. You won't stop us, sir. We'll get the money."

It was three days after the disastrous meeting. The KSP still had funding, and they intended to use every available kerbuck. 

But first, a funeral, of a grand scale. The entire KSP staff was gathered in the VAB.

Hardfield stepped up to the podium and cleared his throat. "We are here today to remember brave kerbal and kerbonaut Karsie Kerman. She was a brilliant young mind and..."

Jedgar wasn't listening. He was reflecting upon the catastrophic failure of the first ITS flight. He, and everyone else in the cockpit (apart from Karsie) had survived. An investigation had revealed that the only reason Karsie died was that she was put in the "trainer seat", a seat for new pilots to familiarize themselves with the controls of an actual rocket. It was determined that on that particular capsule, the trainer seat had been improperly bolted to the floor, and as a result, it was ripped off from its joins as the spacecraft tumbled out of control. The autopsy revealed that she had been knocked unconscious as soon as the seat had hit the wall of the capsule, and had died as a result of a massive brain hemorrhage, due to her repeated impacts with the capsule structure.

Jedgar snapped back to reality. Hardfield was finishing his speech.

"And so, as was her wish, Karsie's ashes will be carried into space and dispersed, so she can be among the stars forever."

It was a cheap solid-fueled lifter, appropriately called the "Puncher".6hvw8SN.png

At the top was the minuscule payload: Karsie's ashes, and a set of science experiments.deGCpXA.png

The rocket was rolled out to the pad fairly quickly, on another cloudless day.FP18wwt.png

Liftoff was the usual affair.NYzSuxv.png

Within seconds, the rocket had breached the sound barrier, still accelerating.ld6oaOA.png

"First stage separation and second stage ignition!" called an engineer.caWjwJC.png

The rocket continued to gain speed.uKT2rsk.png

It couldn't be seen from the ground, the only thing remaining of the rocket visible was the exhaust trail.xPLCC9q.png

"Second stage separation and third stage ignition!" called out the same engineer.kxYuttt.png

The rocket entered space, with plenty of delta-v remaining.4k0WgjZ.png

"Third stage separation, fairing separation and fourth stage ignition!" the engineer called out once again.yrbpGiN.png

The craft was on an escape trajectory now, and would pass through the Mun's sphere of influence.czejSSx.png

The final stage finally burnt all of its propellant, putting its final apoapsis at over 117 million meters.MNi6fbj.png

The craft was travelling at over five kilometers per second, unprecedented for a solid-fueled lifter.3ob9j0Y.png

Soon, the full disk of Kerbin was visible.

EFzADC6.png

It entered the Mun's SoI a few minutes later.hHmw5lP.png

qF74J5M.png

Upon reaching Kerbolar orbit, the service bay was opened and a small jet of gas dispersed Karsie Kerman's ashes.mI0WC0H.png

The spent SRB would be doomed to an eternal orbit around Kerbol, silently doing science and sending it back to Kerbin.

Hardfield Kerman could rightly log this mission as a success.

In the days after, the KSP stuck to its promise of using all the money available. The next mission would be to expand the Minmus settlement. 

The R&D guys quickly managed to draw up a design for an ISRU unit, capable of drilling for ore and converting it into propellant.XWghdhr.png

It was to be lifted into space by the trusty Kerbol Light.5wSH6nK.png

O3bY8yG.png

The launch would be at night. DSoW13O.png

Liftoff was, again, the usual fare.YjcmV4S.png

PFwqJsl.png

As usual, the onboard komputer initiated the gravity turn on schedule.NSdDQnW.png

The gravity turn was nominal.lkpKmE5.png

And soon the first stage separated, leaving the second stage Penguin to do the job alone.0p24zYb.png

The Penguin performed admirably, and soon it was sunrise in space.HtcYYHk.png

Orbit was achieved soon after.mdsKLzu.png

An encounter was plotted.Du4IMVs.png

And was mostly executed by the Penguin.Zmomfz9.png

The rest of the burn was completed by the Poodle on the Minmus Refinery unit.zSW93PQ.png

A quick correction burn put the spacecraft on track once again.JevqIvs.png

The spacecraft coasted silently for several days, before entering an elliptical orbit around Minmus.MiKYSg4.png

The orbit was then reduced for an easier descent and landing.8wzwpat.png

The deorbit burn was right on schedule and right on target.lVavRxz.png

"Landing legs have been deployed!" came the call from mission control.9FHl1HB.png

The komputer started executing maneuvers to put the refinery down as close to the Minmus Reusable Lander as possible.Eh9N5WL.png

The spacecraft descended towards the other two landers.ZH7APOh.png

Gently...s2VX91t.png

And touchdown!acHsfVk.png

The drilling tests started as soon as the refinery unit landed.6THwT9H.png

And immediately, a problem was spotted. The drills were pushing the craft off the ground, due to Minmus's low gravity.

Eventually, the craft settled back down on its four landing legs. It was clear, however, that the vessel would have to be redesigned.kddhkwQ.png

The scene was quite serene.iJCKBqU.png

After a few hours of mining ore, the ISRU was started and successfully produced propellant.

VqHDxJZ.png

With the initial mission of the Minmus Refinery Unit successful, the KSP could go on with completely ignoring the Kovernment, and take the next step: kerbals on Minmus.

Jebediah, Bill, Valentina and Mitmon Kerman would pilot the second Minmus Reusable Lander, dubbed the Falcon, to Minmus, aiming for a (preferably soft) landing at the base site. The Falcon would be launching atop the Cormorant A-4.dayYsna.png

The rocket was rolled out as usual.X0EZ0I2.png

The rocket lifted off as all four Kickbacks and the Mainsail ignited.eZy0BMo.png

Due to the high TWR, the gravity turn was unusually aggressive.FRUE4tB.png

As the contraption ascended, the smoke had cleared from the pad, due to a new type of propellant used by the Kickbacks.N59JBhp.png

A loud thunk alerted the crew to the separation of the SRBs.a6t2M1v.png

And soon, the first stage and fairings separated as well.Ak5iHwu.png

Orbit was achieved in no time.0D53kKI.png

The Skipper started the trans-Minmal injection.DHEDNrF.png

The Falcon MRL completed it.gyREQ2i.png

The trajectory did include a Mun flyby. This would be used to full advantage, naturally.lGwVK4I.png

A few hours later, the Falcon entered the Mun's SoI.qVlArZt.png

Orbital insertion was planned.Nu7pElW.png

The MRL executed the maneuver without difficulty.N0NZSaN.png

Due to the complex inclination and other orbital parameters, a deorbit maneuver node was plotted, instead of the usual improvise method.DrxbMn2.png

The deorbit burn was perfect, and soon the spacecraft was silently descending towards Minmus.2ZclVBe.png

The engine was ignited for landing as the Falcon approached the base site.yW8jqp4.png

Jebediah took manual control and slowly guided the Falcon in. Because this was kerballed, it would land a little farther away from the base than usual, and use the RCS to push itself closer.OSNTepH.png

The MRL approached the ground...T3hsf1j.png

And as the sensors detected contact, the engine shut off and the RCS pushed the Falcon towards the ground.KlIHQJU.png

The RCS was used to move the craft closer to the base.IGIvrSz.png

And then, Jebediah Kerman opened the hatch and became the first kerbal to walk on the surface of Minmus.08ZkyZl.png

He was clearly happy about it, but there was no time to celebrate. In a few moments, Bill, the engineer, was also on the surface. Val and Mitmon would monitor activities from the pod.

Bill immediately set to work, connecting the Falcon MRL and the Minmus Refinery Unit with a pipe.P1ttbYl.png

DTPNfke.png

It was night when the refueling process started.gB0PQRQ.png

It was over by morning.xCjTcth.png

Bill then connected another pipe from the Falcon MRL to the Cygnus MRL.gFQFhRC.png

zoiT6qW.png

Then, the gaslight was placed.

"No base is complete without a gas lamp," Bill laughed as he bolted the device to the ground.iEpkFLv.png

Then, the Alchoujian Base 1 was connected to the gaslight.BtsmZuS.png

And finally, the Alchoujian was hooked up with the refinery unit, completing the base.21coId5.png

Now, the obligatory flag-placing. Val got the honour, on account of her being stuck in the capsule with Mitmon while Jeb and Bill did all the work.

Needless to say, Val was very happy.c3W4eCO.png

Zj4tWPo.png

T6mJqR2.png

CJknaB6.png

And then, the flag unfurled, marking the start of kerbalkind's presence on Minmus.xF3vAqu.png

After, the mandatory group photos were taken, which would later become posters stuck on walls of houses everywhere.XgBDFb7.png

e1nFPUF.png

2 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

And immediately, a problem was spotted. The drills were pushing the craft off the ground, due to Minmus's low gravity.

Eventually, the craft settled back down on its four landing legs. It was clear, however, that the vessel would have to be redesigned.

Know your problems. My mun weird ISRU thing had it, but t doesn't seem like that big a problem for operations. The craft did shake a little though, did that happen with you too?

JAI ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION REPORT 0555382-C 

ACCIDENT TYPE: SPACE VEHICLE: RAPID UNPLANNED DISASSEMBLY: ITS UNIT 001

FATALITIES: KARSIE KERMAN 

REPORT: Vehicle Rapid Unplanned Disassembly (RUD) caused by Rapid Unplanned Lithobraking (RUL) into Booster Bay off the east coast of the KSC. RUL was caused by a Rocket Flip Incident (RFI) common among rockets due to the Kraken (The Kraken totally does NOT exist) Unusual Atmospheric Phenomena (UAP). Yeah! Totally UAP! 

Anyways, RFI may have been avoided, even with UAP, if attitude control had been better than it was. A suggestion: Enlarge the control surfaces and/or add RCS to the booster. 

IMMEDIATE CHANGES: INTERN RESPONSIBLE FOR DESIGN SLIP-UP IS FIRED 

LONG-TERM CHANGES: ITS DESIGN IMPROVED 

END REPORT

Edited by KAL 9000

7 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

it was ripped off from its joins as the spacecraft tumbled out of control. The autopsy revealed that she had been knocked unconscious as soon as the seat had hit the wall of the capsule, and had died as a result of a massive brain hemorrhage, due to her repeated impacts with the capsule structure.

Wow.

What a way to go. Shaken to death like a rat in a box.

On 04/03/2017 at 0:05 AM, superstrijder15 said:

Know your problems. My mun weird ISRU thing had it, but t doesn't seem like that big a problem for operations. The craft did shake a little though, did that happen with you too?

No, no shaking as far as I could tell. But maybe that was just because my computer was lagging like hell. :P 

On 04/03/2017 at 0:52 AM, KAL 9000 said:

JAI ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION REPORT 0555382-C 

ACCIDENT TYPE: SPACE VEHICLE: RAPID UNPLANNED DISASSEMBLY: ITS UNIT 001

FATALITIES: KARSIE KERMAN 

REPORT: Vehicle Rapid Unplanned Disassembly (RUD) caused by Rapid Unplanned Lithobraking (RUL) into Booster Bay off the east coast of the KSC. RUL was caused by a Rocket Flip Incident (RFI) common among rockets due to the Kraken (The Kraken totally does NOT exist) Unusual Atmospheric Phenomena (UAP). Yeah! Totally UAP! 

Anyways, RFI may have been avoided, even with UAP, if attitude control had been better than it was. A suggestion: Enlarge the control surfaces and/or add RCS to the booster. 

IMMEDIATE CHANGES: INTERN RESPONSIBLE FOR DESIGN SLIP-UP IS FIRED 

LONG-TERM CHANGES: ITS DESIGN IMPROVED 

END REPORT

I'll be sure to forward this report to the Committee... :wink: 

On 04/03/2017 at 2:02 AM, Kosmonaut said:

Would you like more base sections? For example I can make task-specific things- labs, habitation, portable bases, etc. I can also make small flyers, if you want more range than the EVA Pack.

Yes please! You don't have to ask, I'll always appreciate crafts. :) 

On 04/03/2017 at 4:32 AM, 0111narwhalz said:

Wow.

What a way to go. Shaken to death like a rat in a box.

Heh. I was binge-watching the X-Files, and I think I picked up a bit too much of Scully's autopsy vocabulary... :P 

On another note, chapter 29 is going to be jam-packed, and I may have to split it into two chapters. So @KAL 9000, I'll try to get the ITS up in chapter 30, but unfortunately @Kosmonaut's and @obney kerman's crafts will have to wait until chapter 31-32. I'll make sure to get it up before chapter 35, though! :) 

EDIT: @obney kerman, yes, that's OPM. :) 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

CHAPTER 29: UNEXPECTED DEVELOPMENTS 

Hardfield was reading through yet another troubling financial report. Not abiding to what they had promised, the Kovernment was already cutting back funding for the KSP. Now, there simply wasn't enough money to continue all of the KSP's projects. Something would have to go.

It was decided that the project that would be mothballed was the SpaceLab program. It was selected because it had successfully fulfilled all of its goals: it had proven that pressurized spacecraft could be left in orbit for long periods of time, it had proven that multiple crew members could live in the limited confines of space for a long time, and it had provided the much-needed stepping-stone for the Duna Orbital Vehicle, now only missing a lander (which was marked "under development" by the R&D guys).

It was with a heavy heart that Hardfield signed the termination contract for SpaceLab operations. The crew currently stationed there, Bob and Obkin Kerman, would return to Kerbin, leaving the space station in orbit for an indefinite amount of time. It was decided that it wouldn't de deorbited because that way, it would still be there for crew to return to when funding increased sufficiently.

Back on SpaceLab, things were picking up pace. Bob and Obkin had been informed of the termination, and were now shutting down all but the absolutely necessary systems. Outside, though, everything seemed quiet.6XF7F7k.png

When the checklist was completed, Bob and Obkin boarded the Brumby capsule and undocked.wkUKCss.png

Remotely, Bob shut off the remaining essential systems, and air whooshed out of the open docking port as SpaceLab shut down. It was now a ghost station.

Bob couldn't stop taking pictures, because he knew he wouldn't see the station in a long time.wjqNXeY.png

Yyne083.png

A deorbit burn was conducted that would put the capsule down near many launch sites and airports on Kerbin.AWeVZOP.png

The service module was separated as planned when the Brumby entered the atmosphere. Bill photographed it as it fell away.O8V58p2.png

yclRWig.png

lOR9KgK.png

Soon, plasma enveloped the capsule.01gkpQs.png

But the heatshield did its job well.Cak5sLo.png

The drogues deployed on target.qINkA9Q.png

Followed by the main chutes.sIqaILg.png

A few minutes later, the Brumby capsule touched down for the last time. YdYG0jy.png

Obkin and Bob were recovered within a few hours and were flown back to the KSC.s8JwZvh.png

Despite the termination of the SpaceLab program, the financial troubles were getting worse. But just when it looked like the KSP would have to shut down another program, salvage was found. In the form of a communications company called KerbinCom. They were interested in the recent developments in relay technology and had assigned the KSP the task of launching a record-breaking 64 satellites!

It was the largest order ever received, and KerbinCom had payed the KSP millions of Kerbucks for just these first batch of 64. If those were a success, KerbinCom would eagerly order more. The task of actually making these satellites had fallen on Squared Space Technologies (SST), who had plenty of experience in building spacecraft for other customers.

For this order, the KSP had asked Squared Space Technologies to try and make the satellites as small as possible, so more could be launched at once, thereby reducing costs.

The engineers at SST came up with the CubeComm.wQvZI0r.png

It was little more than a box, containing all the electronics, and a relay dish. The box was made out of solar panels and a structural panel on the bottom. While it seemed basic, it was actually as advanced as current technology, just smaller. In fact, Squared Space Technologies even went as far as to say that once the benefits of small satellites were realized, a "miniaturization revolution" would occur and in a few years, big, bulky comsats would be a thing of the past.

As small as they were, the infrastructure for separating these satellites took up a lot of weight, and so only 16 could be launched in one go. Nevertheless, it would still be a record for the number of satellites launched at once.sSuvtrY.png

The dishes slotted into place like clockwork.HOqLtb4.png

Soon, the first Cormorant A-0 + CubeComm stack was completed, with 16 satellites inside the fairing.Q2lbhCt.png

Because the intended destination was a polar orbit, the full stack was flown to Zebedee for launch. Unfortunately, a loose clamp meant that the rocket was tilting south on the pad, but it was determined that the onboard komputer would automatically correct the error once it launched.T21bMJS.png

As predicted, the komputer immediately worked to bring the rocket back on course.9hHHlwP.png

That didn't take long, and soon the rocket was in vertical flight.QigKCD4.png

Afterward, the normal gravity turn was executed.nQuVZr5.png

The craft quickly rose above the mountains surrounding the facility.J1bcSKH.png

Both Kerbol and the Mun could be seen as the rocket ascended.Z5E9SjC.png

Stage separation was nominal.uUIo1Qo.png

Soon, the target apoapsis of 1535 kilometers was reached.XKu2Htu.png

The fairings were separated when the craft reached space.dOnd3Ip.png

The circularization burn was nominal and soon a (roughly) on-target orbit was achieved.eQQVEMw.png

Kerbin's terminator could easily be seen from this altitude.BjtD46z.png

After a health check, the first satellite, CubeComm-1, was released.dpDyxqD.png

The satellites were separated at 30-second intervals to make sure that they had time to drift away to a safe distance.bVrdRlb.png

Soon, all 16 satellites from this launch were in their orbits. They would eventually spread out to cover roughly 1/4th of the orbit, necessitating 3 more launches, as originally planned.9t7d0bk.png

The second stage commenced its deorbit burn.bDFMZ7R.png

Soon, it reentered the atmosphere.Jad0hAk.png

Plasma quickly overwhelmed the spacecraft.s7E338G.png

The heat made short work of the thin, light metal, and soon it had burnt up.zaOFpof.png

Another mission was a success, and the money earned from it was incredibly helpful towards the KSP's endeavours. 

Back in the tracking station, an experienced employee named Danny Kerman was showing a young intern, Alan Kerman, how to select each spacecraft and see its orbital parameters, as well as other info. Alan was coming along nicely, and soon Danny headed over to the break room for snacks and koffee.

Alan quickly looked around the room to make sure nobody was watching, and then started experimenting with something he was not authorized to do: program maneuver nodes for vessels.

Alan was very aware that misprogramming a vessel could lead to it performing an unscheduled burn, and would likely get him fired from his internship. To avoid this, he chose a spent stage, the upper stage of the Cormorant that had carried the first Minmus Reusable Lander. Due to the complete absence of propellant, he reasoned that accidentally igniting the engine wouldn't matter very much, since there was no fuel for the engine to burn anyway.

Making one last check, Alan concluded that the coast was clear, and entered the console of the spent upper stage. He started playing around with maneuvers, seeing how much delta-v was necessary to escape the Kerbol system (a lot) and seeing how much delta-v it would take to reverse a Kerbolar orbit (also a lot).

On a random impulse, Alan then plotted a maneuver to Duna's orbital altitude, and unexpectedly...GG8eXXW.png

... He got a Duna encounter! Alan immediately knew the significance of his find. Everyone had been too busy waiting for the first Duna transfer window that the hadn't looked for alternatives. And now, he had found one! A year before the expected transfer window. Imagine what a head-start the KSP could get!

"I need to speak to Hardfield about this..." Alan realized aloud.

Danny had just arrived, holding a cup of koffee. "You need to see Hardfield about what?" he asked curiously, before seeing what was on screen.

"Alan!" Danny shouted angrily. "I told you not to touch the maneuver node programming..." He trailed off when he saw the Duna encounter.

"Oh SQUAD... you're right, Alan, we need to speak to Hardfield about this..."

Hardfield's response to the news was surprisingly calm: "Well, this is an unexpected development."

And then, "Imagine the head-start we can get on our Duna program!"

And finally, the news Alan was waiting to hear: "Danny, your intern here has done a wonderful job. Alan, I would like to personally congratulate you on your discovery, It's priceless! And, as a reward, I'm going to have to give you something. Something you will definitely want, I'm sure."

Alan fidgeted excitedly. "What is it, Mr Hardfield?"

"Alan... welcome to the space program. You'll officially get a job here as soon as you reach the minimum work age. Congratulations!"

Alan and Danny broke into a huge smile. Yet another intern had successfully made it into the job, and this pleased Hardfield.

The KSP was taking full advantage of the unexpected transfer window. Within days, a Duna orbiter was built, packed chock full of science experiments.0pNwaZP.png

uOthonC.png

CdNbAc4.png

7gm57ed.png

The satellite was placed on top of the highly reliable Cormorant A-4. The mission could not fail, as the satellite itself was about 2 and a half times more expensive than the lifter.RtmFgjO.png

The orbiter was cocooned tightly by the fairing.OHio1DF.png

Rollout was completed in the early morning.mZHebys.png

Launch occurred a few hours later.Un62nt6.png

The cameras got a great view of the rocket ascending.4W7ASxb.png

Soon, the four Kickbacks separated.rEYQgSm.png

This was followed shortly after by the first stage and the fairings.5Elqorw.png

The second stage ignited at apoapsis for orbital insertion, which went to plan.HzY6lpi.png

A rough encounter was plotted.poW0yuS.png

Despite the high level of accuracy required, the Skipper executed the maneuver flawlessly.yyADCmo.png

The antenna was unfurled to ensure communication all the way to Duna.Xgp1CY3.png

A 14 m/s correction burn was plotted to correct the spacecraft's trajectory.KDyj728.png

This was also executed flawlessly.TJkfODs.png

An orbital insertion maneuver was then planned.U4cAQci.png

And while the probe silently drifted towards Duna, the KSP focused on the next mission: DuneComms 1-4.

The four DuneComm satellites were built by Squared Space Technologies, to save money. And SST certainly delivered.x3Bvy2A.png

EHOAivS.png

Four of these would be more than sufficient to communicate. 

The first four were placed on the Kerbol Light rocket.nrdHBvs.png

JcLtz1U.png

Again, launch was during the day.U1Ecvic.png

One second, everything was nominal.RDT6VHQ.png

But the next second...s3rM4Lk.png

"Oh dammit! We've lost the fairing!" Lodfurt said.

"Where the hell did it go?" Hardfield asked, equally perplexed. It had disappeared without a trace!

"I have no idea, but data shows that the ascent trajectory is still nominal. But there's a large chance that the main relay dishes could melt," Lodfurt replied.

"Do not terminate. We could still continue the mission."

Lodfurt nodded and relayed the command throughout mission control.

The rocket continued its arc into space.cjdyoNO.png

Soon, things were heating up... literally.0P0HyZb.png

To everyone's surprise, however, the satellite dishes seemed to be doing just fine! This greatly increased morale.

Stage separation was nominal.vN0uYJU.png

And soon an orbit was achieved.WT0D348.png

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief. The mission could now go on.

An encounter was plotted.aqrnOLV.png

Execution was once again precise.KkKyxDO.png

So precise, in fact, that it was decided that a correction burn was not necessary. An orbital insertion maneuver was planned...XYeznDj.png

... And this spacecraft too was left to drift towards Duna. 

The trajectories of the two spacecrafts had been carefully planned to make sure they arrived at different dates. These calculations had worked perfectly.9hNScpV.png

The Duna Polar Orbiter would arrive at Duna eight days before the DuneComms. 

All was good.

Hardfield was once again in his office, this time accompanied with Caldos. They weren't talking about anything in particular, just small talk. As Hardfield grabbed a pen to sign a document, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," Hardfield called.

The door slowly swung open, revealing a kerbal in the doorway.

Hardfield dropped his pen in utter shock and disbelief.

Caldos froze as he realized who it was. "No.. it can't be..."

In a hoarse whispered, Hardfield uttered,

"K-K-Karsie?"

"Hello, Hardfield..."

4 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

"Hello, Hardfield..."

(Heart attack)...............................we saw y-you die.........................................................c-call 911......................................................karsie.....................

Edited by obney kerman

On 3/5/2017 at 5:36 PM, obney kerman said:

(Heart attack)...............................we saw y-you die.........................................................c-call 911......................................................karsie.....................

oooooooooooooooooooooohhh-ack-ggg-a...

27 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

Image result for history channel aliens meme

Yes, yes,it was aliens.

On 3/7/2017 at 1:22 AM, The Raging Sandwich said:

@TheEpicSquared, how did you get KerbinSide to work?

IIRC, the same way as I've been saying, download the latest Kerbal Konstructs, and then download the outdated Kerbinside. However, as that evidently isn't working for some people, I'll try again with a clean install tomorrow. :) 

On 3/9/2017 at 10:16 PM, obney kerman said:

Is she a shaman?

Maybe... maybe not... :wink: 

Chapter up today or tomorrow folks! 

Kerbin is getting way too creepy... Put KAL Kerman (Gender = Male, Career = Pilot, Veteran = false, BadS = true, Courage = 0.7, Stupidity = 0.7) on the Heart of Gold ITS as soon as it's ready! 

Crafts That I Will Send To You: 

Duna Mobile ISRU Base: Testing Phase 

Duna Extraplanetary Launchpads Equipment: Design Phase 

Duna Utility Vehicle: Design Phase 

Duna Space Station: Design Phase 

SpaceLab Tug: Testing Phase 

---

Add this to the Grand Plan: 

Since SpaceLab has been abandoned, it is no longer needed in Kerbin orbit. Instead of deorbiting it, JAI's plan is to attach a transfer stage (SpaceLab Tug, specifically) to it and tow it to Duna, where it will be the core of the Duna Space Station. Since it's already a space station, it will be a core with life support, power, and all that jazz. Just one question: How big is the largest docking port on SpaceLab? The tug's docking port will be that size.

CHAPTER 30: PUSHING FORWARD

"K-K-Karsie?" Hardfield uttered in a hoarse whisper.

"Hello, Hardfield..."

"No, how? It's impossible! Y-You died in the crash! We autopsied you!" Hardfield stammered.

"The doctors cut you up! There's not a scratch on you! And then we burned your body, and launched you into orbit!" Caldos said.

"The Hybridium have their ways..."

It was only then that Hardfield realized that "Karsie" was talking in a strange voice. 

"Wait a minute, you're not Karsie..."

Caldos chimed in, "Yeah, y-y-you talk weird-"

Hardfield interrupted. "What do you mean, the Hybridium have their ways?"

"What you do not know, Hardfield, is that Karsie's body was never cremated... a copy of her was."

"What the kraken is that supposed to mean?"

"The real body of Karsie Kerman was genetically identified and replicated, to the fingerprint. Then, this copy was synthesized and replaced the real Karsie Kerman. It was the ashes of the replica that you launched, not the real one."

"By SQUAD... you cloned her..." Hardfield uttered. 

"Well then what happened to the real body?" Caldos demanded.

"The real body is safe in our storage facilities... and her DNA allows us to transform into her as we please. 

Comrades, show yourselves!"

Suddenly, the air started to shimmer.

Our of nowhere, three more Karsie's appeared! 

Hardfield, bewildered, looked around, hoping to see anything other than a bunch of Karsie-faces, but to no avail. He started hyperventilating. He looked around for Caldos, but he was nowhere to be found.

"Hardfield, stay calm. This must be a lot to take in."

Hardfield could barely hear the alien voice. He slumped to the floor, his legs no longer able to support him. Then, his vision started to disappear, a blackness slowly clouding his vision until he could no longer see a thing, even though his eyes were very much open.

"Hardfield, do not black out! Stay conscious! Comrades, sedate him! He is agitated!"

The last thing Hardfield felt was the faint jab of a needle.

"Hardfield, wake up. Wake up."

Hardfield opened his eyes. "Where am I?"

"You're fine. Let me tell you what happened. You fell unconscious, and now you just woke up here. That's about it."

"Where's here?"

Hardfield sat up. He looked around, and saw a shimmer of air. Then, a figure hazily appeared, only to hastily disappear again.

"Hardfield, we cannot talk now. They are listening. Go back to your work. Do not tell anyone about this. Tell Caldos not to as well. I will get it touch soon. Now go!"

A flash of light, and then Hardfield was back in his office. It was early morning. He should have been tired, but he wasn't. Because a primitive instinct inside him told him that he must keep going, and keep pushing forward. Otherwise, they would all die, as soon as the gamma ray burst hit Kerbin.

And the effects of the nearing gamma rays was now becoming apparent. The night sky had now taken on a strange structure, with something like a blue nebula taking up most of the sky.E61o4wm.jpg

Shuddering, Hardfield got to work, and contacted R&D to see how things were going.

It turned out that things were going very well. The Duna lander had been finalized, with just a few final tests remaining before it could be launched.Ms5eETx.png

The plan was for the Duna Orbital Vehicle to come down to a lower orbit, and then the lander would be launched to test things like rendezvousing, docking, that sort of thing.

Meanwhile, an unkerballed Duna lander had been developed to experience landing on Duna. It was called the Destiny I lander, based on a suggestion from the public that it was kerbalkind's destiny to venture out among the stars.auyHOT7.png

The lander itself was quite small, but packed with science experiments.UuZtDox.png

oHQ4xtA.png

It was to be launched on the highly reliable Kerbol Light rocket, which had a 100% success rate.xv6YYYu.png

Rollout was completed in the early morning.zN3wMKA.png

With launch happening soon after.y9leULI.png

The rocket quickly progressed towards orbit.wENkkgW.png

T8yAZ8w.png

Stage separation was nominal.RPaInlg.png

And soon, orbit was achieved.rUhOsg8.png

A Duna encounter was quickly plotted.9DbSHBN.png

It was executed successfully.VbFqBgr.png

After health checks, an orbital insertion maneuver was planned.dwhgZ3K.png

The timing was good. It would arrive at Duna before DuneComms 1-4, but before the Duna Polar Orbiter. Perfect.OVlqO18.png

The R&C team wasn't just working on Duna probes, though. They were also looking at how to make LKO more accessible.

The result was the Chimera rocket. DBKK9HH.png

At a glance, it looked just like an ordinary rocket. Rather similar to the Cormorant, actually.

But Hardfield was very attentive, and noticed a few... "discrepancies".

"Where's the decoupler?" He asked, surprised. "How'll you separate the first and second stages from each other?"

The engineer replied, "Ah. There isn't actually a second stage."

"What do you mean, there isn't a second stage? How's it going to get to orbit?"

"The team has been working hard, and using enhanced versions of the Vector engines, as well as lighter fuel tanks, they've calculated that this can get to orbit with a single stage, with an acceptable payload margin," the engineer said. "Completely reusable as well! It'll survive reentry and lands using a combination of parachutes and engine thrust. It'll save money, 120 thousand kerbucks per launch!"

"Well, that's good. Do we have a customer for it yet?"

"Actually, yes. Squared Space Technologies has built a satellite for SpaceCom, and they've agreed to launch it on the new Chimera SSTO.qz7zmX4.png

It fit perfectly into the cargo hold.jbIbnDc.png

Rollout was completed successfully, and checks were completed soon after.2bG61Lq.png

Then, the two Vectors fired up and the rocket started its ascent.gy5MT7m.png

The gravity turn was started, as usual.iZbmOaV.png

Soon, the Chimera SSTO entered space for the first time.x66f8mB.png

Then, orbit was achieved, and the craft drifted silently through space.9sZbrh4.png

The cargo bay doors opened.3urfZjz.png

And the satellite, SpaceCom-1, was released.gDsO73b.png

As SpaceCom-1 performed health checks, the Chimera deorbited.1NGr2l9.png

Soon, contact was lost as plasma surrounded the craft.wnelUdh.png

It appeared that the craft had more drag than expected, and would land in the ocean. That didn't really matter though, as it could still be salvaged with relative ease.VZkTOtJ.png

The drogue chutes deployed successfully.uRnq8y3.png

Followed by the main chutes.19uNBt0.png

Even though they weren't necessary, the landing legs were extended to simulate a land landing.

The Vectors were briefly ignited just above sea level...gDzjK0k.png

... And the rocket splashed safely on its side.KOuTCyg.png

Salvage vessels would arrive soon.

Meanwhile, SpaceCom-1 had executed some maneuvers and had successfully inserted itself into keostationary orbit.Jn0lUVb.png

Another successful mission.

But the next mission would be very nerve-wracking.

It was the second launch of the ITS, which so far, had an abysmal 0% success rate.

However, JAI and SpaceY had been working hard, and hopefully history wouldn't be repeated.Vhfl2GG.png

Surprisingly, Jedgar, from the first ITS launch, had volunteered to fly again. Rather surprised, Hardfield said yes.

As usual, rollout was uneventful.raXW8p9.png

Then, the Quad-Emu engine ignited, easily powering the rocket into the air.kogyqPs.png

The larger fins helped keep the rocket stable as it ascended.

But then, something was suddenly wrong.uRxr53S.png

"Something fell off!" Obkin radioed. "What is it?"

"Uhh, stand by ITS, we're investigating. Continue on course," Hardfield said.

An engineer called out, "The crew fairing detached for some reason. It shouldn't affect the mission though, they should be fine."

Hardfield breathed a sigh of relief.sAyyjxE.png

The rocket was now going to space with a gaping hole in the fuselage.sXGuhjA.png

The ITS was soon going very fast.hQMYixO.png

Then, the first stage ran out of propellant and was separated, along with the interstage. 

However, it turned out the second stage had more drag than the interstage fairings, and so the ITS would fly past its own fairing version of a Korolev's Cross.76q9xjW.png

0KGhXZJ.png

Soon, the second stage was in space, on its way to orbit.AIBmjrf.png

And with a quick engine burn, orbit was achieved.QNUvdot.png

Then, the craft systems were tested, starting with the RCS.rSGeDQW.png

Eventually, the checks were complete, all with the gaping hole in the fuselage.VeUbg6x.png

A deorbit burn was plotted that would put the craft down in the water east of the KSC.zgp0e6e.png

The gargantuan craft was incredibly hard to keep on the proper attitude.vWfWMA7.png

Eventually, the craft's RCS couldn't cope and it flipped retrograde.8FeRRdX.png

Now was the hardest part: propulsively landing the huge spacecraft.

The RCS stabilized on retrograde.RupI5O9.png

The landing legs were extended as the landing burn started.TvuS6Ub.png

Thrust increased as the sea neared...EotFRwW.png

The exhaust started to impact the water, sending splashes everywhere.wKKFlmm.png

And then the craft splashed down safely.VL5nEtw.png

RrRTwBG.png

Recovery crews quickly salvaged the intrepid crew and their rocket.5G0ENlt.png

A 50% success rate now. Getting there, getting there...

Meanwhile at R&D...

A rocket had been developed.sOVzGlC.png

The rocket was intended to be reusable, both the capsule and the booster. 

The booster would be landed propulsively as a secondary objective to the mission. The capsule also had monopropellant engines for a propulsive landing, but was fitted with parachutes in case of an emergency.

The actual mission of this rocket was to provide cheap access to space, mainly for space tourism: a potentially giant income source, if handled correctly.

Surprisingly, many kerbonauts had requested to be on the maiden launch of the spacecraft, even though it was untested. Eventually, Hardfield reluctantly agreed. It had an abort system, what could possibly go wrong?

The rocket was rolled out to the launchpad fairly quickly, and the landing legs were tested.gEnBoj5.png

Launch occurred shortly afterwards. j4LbIxN.png

QL3ktej.png

Soon, the Vector had pushed the rocket high in the air.mKphYem.png

The engine was shut off once the target apoapsis of 106 kilometers was reached.mGjJFp9.png

Just seconds after main engine cutoff (MECO), capsule separation occurred.tGRpS9x.png

Eventually, the capsule sped past the official border of space.9zG9IiN.png

After a few minutes of weightlessness, the capsule fell into the atmosphere and the stabilizing grid fins deployed.AD3flTs.png

Below, the booster was also falling towards the ground. The Booster Recovery team at mission control were already working on it.FoDuNNK.png

Reentry wasn't particularly stressing.ZSyqY5q.png

The engines were ignited at 1.6 kilometers above ground level to slow the capsule down for a soft touchdown.xslR0uf.png

The landing legs deployed.oHSNkx6.png

As the capsule neared the surface, all was good so far.UxuFx0i.png

The automated komputer adjusted thruster power for the optimal descent.Y456MvY.png

And then, the capsule had landed.vS4BiWV.png

Meanwhile, engineers at mission control were working on the booster as soon as it separated, prepping it for reentry and landing.kQ8tT3T.png

The grid fins deployed as the rocket passed through 63 kilometers.ER9cYMM.png

Reentry was more stressing on the booster.ZX6bbjH.png

At 3.7 kilometers, the Vector ignited, immediately putting the booster under huge g-forces, which were already piling up from reentry.8ITOwp5.png

Luckily, the craft held together. The booster continued to descend.QGgVfiU.png

The landing legs were deployed as the rocket fell past 600 meters.kW0dD0O.png

Everyone held their breath as the ground quickly approached.erlB4NT.png

And then, it was on the ground. Mission control was ecstatic.6WJyhcM.png

The booster was recovered as soon as it landed. This particular one wouldn't be reused, since the KSC crew wanted to examine it. Meanwhile, the crew in the capsule were still winding down and doing post-flight checks.vwv0btZ.png

Eventually, they were recovered as well, ending the mission and officially putting it into the "successful mission" log.

Meanwhile, Hardfield was worrying about the Hybridium. They hadn't contacted him yet, but somehow, instinctively, he knew something would happen soon.

Something big.

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

Kerbin is getting way too creepy... Put KAL Kerman (Gender = Male, Career = Pilot, Veteran = false, BadS = true, Courage = 0.7, Stupidity = 0.7) on the Heart of Gold ITS as soon as it's ready! 

Sure. Won't be for a while though, unfortunately.

Crafts That I Will Send To You: 

Duna Mobile ISRU Base: Testing Phase 

Duna Extraplanetary Launchpads Equipment: Design Phase 

Duna Utility Vehicle: Design Phase 

Duna Space Station: Design Phase 

SpaceLab Tug: Testing Phase 

Awesome! I'll try to launch them when I can, but @Kosmonaut's Hope 3 Duna orbiter/lander combo, and @obney kerman's Minmus CSM will launch first. :) Oh, and are these payloads also collaborations with JAI and SpaceY, or just JAI? I'l list them as just JAI until you reply. And extraplanetary launchpads: will that require the EPL mod? Cause I'd rather not introduce most gameplay mechanics, if you understand. I'll exclude it from the Grand Plan until you clarify. :) 

Add this to the Grand Plan: 

Since SpaceLab has been abandoned, it is no longer needed in Kerbin orbit. Instead of deorbiting it, JAI's plan is to attach a transfer stage (SpaceLab Tug, specifically) to it and tow it to Duna, where it will be the core of the Duna Space Station. Since it's already a space station, it will be a core with life support, power, and all that jazz. Just one question: How big is the largest docking port on SpaceLab? The tug's docking port will be that size.

Heh, I'm not really following the Grand Plan, but might as well update it. I'll add that to it, but instead of attaching your transfer stage to the current station, I think I'm going to replicate it, and then weld it together using UbioZur welding to reduce lag. I'll probably use HyperEdit to get it into the same orbit as the current SpaceLab, and I guess the original SpaceLab will just... disappear, I guess?

Oh, btw, the largest docking port is the 0.625 MOLE docking port. 

Anyway, enjoy the updated, but not yet complete, Grand Plan. :) 

Time period of Duna Transfer Window 1

Payloads heading to Duna

Duna Polar Orbiter - KSP - (launched)

DuneComms 1-4 - KSP - (launched)

Destiny I Duna Lander - KSP - (launched)

Hope 3 Orbiter/Lander - Kosmos Interplanetary Dynamics - (awaiting launch)

Opportunity Duna Rover - KSP - (under development)

Duna Mobile ISRU Base - JAI - (Undergoing testing)

Duna Utility Vehicle - JAI - (under development)

Duna Space Station - JAI & KSP - (development partially complete; SpaceLab complete, transfer tug incomplete)

SpaceLab Tug - JAI - (undergoing testing)

Any other potential payloads

Other activities

SpaceCom-1 - SpaceCom & Squared Space Technologies "SST" - (launched)

Reusable Space Tourism Vehicle "RSTV" test flight - KSP - (launched)

RSTV commercial flight 1 "RSTV-CF-1" - KSP - (awaiting launch)

Alchoujian Base 1 expansion module - KSP - (under development)

Minmus Geostationary Space Station (MGSS) core module - KSP - (under development)

Minmus "SpaceGun" test vehicle - KSP - (under development)

Minmus variant of Albatross CSM - Kerbal Academy of Space Exploration "KASE" - (awaiting launch)

CubeComms 17-32 - KerbinCom & SST - (awaiting launch)

MGSS solar trusses 1-2 - KSP - (under development)

Redesigned Minmus ISRU unit - KSP - (under development)

ITS test flight 2, land on Gilly - JAI & SpaceY - (awaiting launch)

RSTV-CF-2 - KSP - (awaiting launch)

Duna Descent, Landing, Ascent Vehicle "DDLAV" - KSP - (awaiting launch)

Any other potential payloads

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.