Video Wednesday: High Altitude Ballon Project!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_ocffjaExFX1rr2wit_540.jpg

Malfunctionm1ke had the idea to send Valentina Kerman to the stratosphere, it was such an interesting project that Shapeways got excited and helped him donating Valentina’s 3D printed figurine. Check the link to see more about about this amazing project!  #KSP

Touchdown Part 5 (Raw) Crash just after 8:22. In one frame, you can see Valentina flying through the air. Perhaps the super cold conditions made her seat belt brittle or it contracted making it give way at landing.

On closer examination it appears at 8:24 that the seat belt held and Valentina herself flew to pieces from G- forces! As I said, the extreme cold may have helped make her more fragile.

1 minute ago, Skalou said:

Noob design: forgot the anti-spin fins, a chute or a recovery system, no gravity turn and so run out of fuel quickly as usually... :blush:

Indeed. To bad there was not a strap going the other way to help keep her in. Then agains he might get broken even moar..

7 hours ago, Skalou said:

Noob design: forgot the anti-spin fins, a chute or a recovery system, no gravity turn and so run out of fuel quickly as usually... :blush:

Having a Kerbal on board probably jinxed the crash-landing :wink:

But actually there was a parachute on board, unfortunately it failed because of two reasons:
1st- the balloon did not disintegrate but stayed mostly intact and because itself was attached to the top of the parachute, its remains (which still were quite heavy) fell on top of the parachute and got tangled up with it.

2nd- the ruler i attached Valentina to made the payload a little bit more heavy on this side. Because of the deflection of this flat surface to the direction of motion it acted like a propeller.
This is probably why you can see her spin to the left on ascend and to the right on descend (well on descend it is probably due to drag). Because of this spin, especially while descending, the cord, the parachute and the remains of the balloon became one tangled mess and the landing was a bit harder than anticipated, but not a failure.
You can see that the parachute was still giving the craft some decelaration because the Camera kept upright during the whole time, so it was attached to "something that was trying to fall slower than itself".

Thats what I got out of the video-footage, might be wrong though :wink:

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

28 minutes ago, patrioticparadox said:

Success! We have tested the Safety Harness X-1 and it holds together great upon impact! Although... It didn't seem to hold our brave explorer together.....

Great Scott, thats terrifying. I love it :D

Edit: Just pulled that gif/mp4 out of the video.If you open it in a new window, you can scroll through it frame by frame (at least on firefox) and see Valentina disintegrate and the Parachute coming down.

http://i.imgur.com/Gd4BBk8.mp4

Edited by MalfunctionM1Ke

"Success! We have tested the Safety Harness X-1 and it holds together great upon impact! Although... It didn't seem to hold our brave explorer together..... "

Sadly, the same thing also happens in high speed aircraft accidents. In one notable accident, a investigator went into a crater and retrieved an object which he revealed to be a stomach. Poor Valentina... poor Kerbals... little do we know the true results of our missteps.

On August 25, 2016 at 3:20 AM, MalfunctionM1Ke said:

Dont be sad my friend.
We can rebuild.

1D8cZSx.jpg

On August 25, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Freshmeat said:

We have the technology.

We can create the world's first bionic man woman Kerbal She-Kerbal.

Valentina Kerman...will be that Kerbal.

Edited by ProtoJeb21
More "The 6-million Dollar Man" references

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.