MechJeb?

W. Kerman

14 hours ago, Jack Wolfe said:

Daily, and without incident. I've been using it for years.

It has its weaknesses. Don't stake your mission on the reliability of the suicide countdown. I prefer to do my own transfers, Mech Jeb takes to long waiting than then wastes too much fuel when it does.

8 hours ago, PB666 said:

It has its weaknesses. Don't stake your mission on the reliability of the suicide countdown. I prefer to do my own transfers, Mech Jeb takes to long waiting than then wastes too much fuel when it does.

Thanks for the tip. But since I've been using MechJeb starting with r4mon's original release, I've got a handle on how to use it effectively.

16 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

Thanks for the tip. But since I've been using MechJeb starting with r4mon's original release, I've got a handle on how to use it effectively.

Also, I don't use the autoland feature, it has a problem when close to hilly terrain of either trying to land above or in the terrain.

On 8/26/2016 at 5:14 AM, PB666 said:

Also, I don't use the autoland feature, it has a problem when close to hilly terrain of either trying to land above or in the terrain.

Hm - that sounds like a symptom of a low-TWR ship.  With TWR of 3-4 near the surface (commonplace when starting with a local deorbit TWR of ~2), I have found MJ pretty reliable.  Trying to eke out lightweight ships with minimal TWR (for instance many Tylo landers) can be a mess.  In other words MJ's landing profile is not adjustable, it works with some craft and terrain, doesn't with others.

Edited by fourfa

If you use the suicide countdown feature and handicap 1 second per km of starting altitude for moderate angle approaches and 2 seconds/km for low angle approaches you should have enough dV/sec in most cases to cover then change in distance as horizontal speed decreases. Of course, high starting angle approaches are silly and wasteful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.