Corsair Propeller driven aircraft

9IBA1qa.pngXImz8O9.png4uoGYS4.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Q5NPUcsUYkTXNJUWNFTTNIMEU/view?usp=sharing

A inspired design resembling that of Archaic Alibi's Propeller driven plane, with a bull-pup engine fitted to one of my existing craft.

A jet picked at random and a bit of a redesign later and I ended up with this beautiful thing.
The original jet was modeled after the WWII era naval fighter so what better to carry a propeller engine
It has a electric powered SAS driven radial like engine locked by two sets of 1K batteries on the end of the fuselage.

A few general statistics

Takeoff Speed: 25 M/s
Max Speed: Level flight 40~M/s
SAS Torque Engine: 85
Armament: 2 Dumb fire/ Guideable I-beam Warheads
Part Count: 170
Mass: A little under 8 tonnes  [7.983t]

Edited by Abraxsas

On 8/24/2016 at 9:08 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Less weight = MOAR SPEAD!

YES!

On 8/25/2016 at 1:22 AM, Rath said:

Why does it need the reaction wheels in the back?  Forces from the prop?

Exactly, it is added to help control the craft as well because of the large amount of wing surfaces on the craft. Also because at times the engine can become a little wonky. They are not entirely necessary but they help.

On 8/25/2016 at 7:45 AM, The Optimist said:

Propeller blades are too big, and the engine is underpowered for its class.

The craft was originally supposed to be a jet so don't expect the craft to be perfect. This was mainly a test of the engine and I want to share my progress with others.

Edited by Abraxsas

2 hours ago, Abraxsas said:

YES!

Exactly, it is added to help control the craft as well because of the large amount of wing surfaces on the craft. Also because at times the engine can become a little wonky. They are not entirely necessary but they help.

The craft was originally supposed to be a jet so don't expect the craft to be perfect. This was mainly a test of the engine and I want to share my progress with others.

I wasn't expecting anything near perfect, but just saying it could use some work,

20 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

I wasn't expecting anything near perfect, but just saying it could use some work,

The engine or the craft?

The craft, I mean it is what it is, but if you have any suggestions for the engine I am wondering what I could do to improve it other than adding a couple Junos...

Edited by Abraxsas

6 minutes ago, Abraxsas said:

The engine or the craft?

The craft, I mean it is what it is, but if you have any suggestions for the engine I am wondering what I could do to improve it other than adding a couple Junos...

Well, for starters, your engine relies too heavily on the battery banks to keep it steady. The batteries cause high friction, slowing the engine down. Also, you either need more reaction wheels, or smaller propeller blades. Even the Elevon MK1s can give lots of thrust, especially at high RPMs. 

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think planes are supposed to fall forwards when they get loaded in.

I don't think the wheels in the bearing are necessary either

11 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

Well, for starters, your engine relies too heavily on the battery banks to keep it steady. The batteries cause high friction, slowing the engine down. Also, you either need more reaction wheels, or smaller propeller blades. Even the Elevon MK1s can give lots of thrust, especially at high RPMs. 

The RPMs are already quite high already compared to some of my other engine designs. The battery banks on the front are for locking the engine in place so that it dose not come out of alignment but I suppose I only need one pair. Having two pairs of interlocking battery banks combined with the back plate and fixed landing gear inside the engine I guess it is a bit superfluous. The propeller blades I guess could be changed out but I have done a lot of testing with them and they seem to be the best for using the rotational energy produced by the engine. Not too draggy but keep the engine RPMs in check at a constant rate. Besides they are the biggest they can be right behind the Big-S flaps so I really cant go any bigger without extending the engine by using a second housing for the bigger propellers. Even further some other smaller propellers I used just generate too little lift and would just flutter and spin, allowing the engine to hit it's max RPM, producing little to no thrust for the craft. Also for size to drag, the elevons I am using have the highest lift value assigned to them so they are the best choice for this sort of thing.

The engine has a max RPM at about 5-7 per second depending on velocity. I think this is caused by the fixed landing gear interacting with the housing creating friction but the dampening effect is minimal but just enough to have it not gradually accelerate.

Edited by Abraxsas

Just now, Abraxsas said:

The RPMs are already quite high already compared to some of my other engine designs. The battery banks on the front are for locking the engine in place so that it dose not come out of alignment but I suppose I only need one pair. Having two pairs of interlocking battery banks combined with the back plate and fixed landing gear inside the engine I guess it is a bit superfluous. The propeller blades I guess could be changed out but I have done a lot of testing with them and they seem to be the best for using the rotational energy produced by the engine. Not too draggy but keep the engine RPMs in check at a constant rate. Besides they are the biggest they can be right behind the Big-S flaps so I really cant go any bigger without extending the engine by using a second housing for the bigger propellers. Even further some other smaller propellers I used just generate too little lift and would just flutter and spin, allowing the engine to hit it's max RPM, producing little to no thrust for the craft. Also for size to drag, the elevons I am using have the highest lift value assigned to them so they are the best choice for this sort of thing.

They might have high RPM, but the engine has a nasty tendency to wobble. Also, the landing gear is too low, leading to the propeller smashing itself into the ground.

2 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

They might have high RPM, but the engine has a nasty tendency to wobble. Also, the landing gear is too low, leading to the propeller smashing itself into the ground.

Yeah I know, I am making a new version with larger front landing gear. I might change out the rear one too. 

I have compensated for the wobble as best as I can but the engine RPM is just too high and if I switched out the propeller blades it negativity affects speed. I think adding more fixed landing gear is the solution  to the wobble. It may make it worse but two sets right on the Sputnik might help.

5 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

A way to avoid the propeller smash is to have the craft set to SAS while accelerating on the runway and to switch to the plane and pull up when it becomes level. Again, this can probably be avoided by having taller gear so i'll add some.

Edited by Abraxsas

Alright, new version is out with larger gear and a few engine tweeks...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Q5NPUcsUYkTXNJUWNFTTNIMEU/view?usp=sharing

The topic has been edited and the craft is shared.

Ok, the final, final, final version is out. Sorry about the confusion...

Edited by Abraxsas

The Corsair was a WW2 era (also used in korea) US navy and marines propeller aircraft. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F4U_Corsair#F4U-1A  

It's last use was in like the very late sixties, where it was used in the "Football" (Soccer Football, capitalist pigs) war between honduras  and el salvador, which was mostly about immigration, but inflamed by riots after either el salvador or honduras (I forget) losing a football mach.  I'm not kidding.  Not only did they riot about football, they went to war about it.

Edited by Rath

On 8/26/2016 at 7:31 PM, Gman_builder said:

Wheres the "Corsair" part?

The craft is loosely based off of the WWII Naval fighter. Look up F4U corsair and it looks similar to what i have created more or less...

19 hours ago, Rath said:

The Corsair was a WW2 era (also used in korea) US navy and marines propeller aircraft. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F4U_Corsair#F4U-1A  

It's last use was in like the very late sixties, where it was used in the "Football" (Soccer Football, capitalist pigs) war between honduras  and el salvador, which was mostly about immigration, but inflamed by riots after either el salvador or honduras (I forget) losing a football mach.  I'm not kidding.  Not only did they riot about football, they went to war about it.

Oh, you answerd for me :P

Just now, Abraxsas said:

The craft is loosely based off of the WWII Naval fighter. Look up F4U corsair and it looks similar to what i have created more or less...

I know what the F4U is. It's my favorite WWII prop fighter based in the pacific theater. No offense though, i just don't see it in this craft. Other than that it looks like a great and functional plane!

11 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

I know what the F4U is. It's my favorite WWII prop fighter based in the pacific theater. No offense though, i just don't see it in this craft. Other than that it looks like a great and functional plane!

I would take a closer look at the wing structure and radiator intakes. They are the closer things i could model from the plane.

11 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

I did taper off the back of the wings to look nice with the structural intakes that emulate the radiators. That is the biggest inaccuracy by far so that is the main thing that detracts from the original as well as the delta wing horizontal and vertical stabilizers.

I can see how it would be unrecognizable from the common corsair. I based some of the design aspects off of it but not all. he fact that it looks similar is why I called it that, and also I was struggling to name it so i looked at my corsair case and named it that. 

Edited by Abraxsas

On 8/31/2016 at 9:41 PM, fourfa said:

I'm having fun flying this little guy!

Is there an engine sound mod that can be used for electric props? The eerie silence is just too weird

Sadly, no... I think replacing the sound file with say, a static jet engine noise might work well. :P

On 9/1/2016 at 2:49 AM, Majorjim! said:

I have the best sound mod available, my own lips! Brrrrrr Brrrrrrr! :D

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! ah, i've phys warped by accident! Brrrrrrrrr! *Explosions*

Hello :)

Edited by Abraxsas

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.