Devnote Thursday: Tweaking and Turning Gears

SQUAD

33 minutes ago, eddiew said:

...not so sure about reduced probe control. I feel like the top tier cores should be considered bleeding-edge autonomous and have no problems with touching down on vacuum bodies without a connection to home. Heck, NASA got Viking down on Mars with 0.1% atmospheric density, it can't be impossible for kerbals... Do what you want with the Stayputnik, it's dead to me already :P 

With you on that one! Although personally I think that we shouldn't have this whole stock RemoteTech thing at all, it's a bad precedent.

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Squad is aware of the numerous issues and to simply say they do not care about PS4 players is not only unfair, it is dishonest. This company has always supported those within the KSP community better than any other I've seen.  Just give them time.

Do you want to know what it means "user support"? Here is an example from the developers of free(!)  PS4 (with platfomholder certification!)  Warframe, after another huge (4 GB)  free add-on, released in August 16th (sic!) :

Hotfix August 16th

- Fixed flipped emblem while using Obsidian Dendra armor
- Changed Nekros’ Despoil Augment to reflect his Desecrate changes. 
- Removed unnecessary Anti-aliasing option.
- Fixed Nekros' Desecrate sound not playing and the FX showing when not needed.
- Fixed Sortie missions switching to incorrect Factions. 
- Fixed seeing 'Daily Mission Bonus' on the End of Mission screen upon failing the mission.

Hotfix August 17th:
- Backend stuff

Hotfix August 18th:
- Fixed a script error when viewing some blueprints in the arsenal
- Fixed some accounts that were soft banned because of an issues caused by a previous hotfix

Hotfix 2 August 18th:
- Removed "attachment" option in the appearance menu for Arcata

Hotfix August 19th:
- Fixed data mass in Mobile D missions spawning inside the ground. 
- Fixed corpus turrets not being destroyed properly

Hotfix 2 August 19th:
- Fixed freeze that would occur after completing a junction

Hotfix August 23rd:
- Added new Prime Access items!

Hotfix August 24th:
- Fixed Vaulted relics still dropping
- Fixed Nekros Prime diorama

Edited by Kerbuvim

37 minutes ago, eddiew said:

...not so sure about reduced probe control. I feel like the top tier cores should be considered bleeding-edge autonomous and have no problems with touching down on vacuum bodies without a connection to home. Heck, NASA got Viking down on Mars with 0.1% atmospheric density, it can't be impossible for kerbals... Do what you want with the Stayputnik, it's dead to me already :P 

Top tier cores have "target" and "maneuver" SAS options, in addition to all the others, which makes them very easy to pilot with only local control. If you need less thrust, you can modify the engine's max thrust directly.

Edited by Jarin

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

So, just to reinforce again and be perfectly clear: these locks will not interfere with mods. Period. We are not setting a flybywire controller, we are not locking actual actions (just GUI actions and keypresses).

What about the lock on creating maneuver nodes when out of contact?  As far as I remember there were no values in the ControlLocks enum for whether you're allowed to set a maneuver node (have they been added for 1.2?), and it feels a bit different than the other things covered by the inputlocks.

Will kOS still be able to do this and have it work if the vessel is out of contact at the time?

// (v is of type Vessel)
v.patchedConicSolver.AddManeuverNode(time);

@RoverDude@NathanKell Nice work on the native telecommunications system. Looking forward to trying this. :) I like how one of the control points can be a nearby craft with a pilot aboard instead of requiring a connection all the way back to Kerbin. Makes for some interesting scenarios that way.

I'm also curious to know if Squad has any plans for Bigelow-type expandable modules that block attempts to put kerbals in them in the editor, but count towards contracts once fully expanded. Some of the stuff I've had to do is pretty kludgy, and it would be nice to have a standard means to have parts with variable crew capacity.

Super stoked for the changes. The ladder slide bug fix is about time! As far as the vessels shifting places during warp, I thought that was just me so super excited to see that fixed! And the stock comms system sounds freaking fantastic! Awesome work Squad!

Just now, Alshain said:

It's basically AntennaRange with occlusion (line of sight) and partial control loss.  It's nothing like RT.

I do like how KSP is getting "lite" versions of features that had previously been mod-only (ISRU, Comms).  Here's hoping for a simple life support implementation somewhere down the line.

3 minutes ago, Lloigor said:

KSC2? Can someone explain this please? :)

It's a seeeecret!

Spoiler

The old KSC from early versions of the game can be found on Kerbin.  No, it's not the island runway.

Edited by Alshain

25 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I hope not.  Life support and KSP do not fit together, it adds tedium and no gameplay.

Lifesupport means more realism and makes the long flights is much more challenging. 

Edited by Kerbuvim

38 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

With you on that one! Although personally I think that we shouldn't have this whole stock RemoteTech thing at all, it's a bad precedent.

Why a bad precedent? If you don't want it, just turn it off. It's been said several times that it will be controllable via difficulty settings. 

I for one am very much looking forward to it. 

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I disagree on both counts.  But this thread isn't about life support.

This tread about the further development of the game, including. The absence of the concept of "life-support" is almost tantamount to an endless fuel, also makes the game too easy. Besides, life support can be made optional.

3 hours ago, SQUAD said:

[...]partial control, which can happen when a probe or crewed pod without a pilot has no connectivity to a control point.

Probes will be limited to no throttle or full throttle,[...]

Don"t care, i will drive the power by tweaking the thrust limiter slider in the right click menu, AHAHA! you did'nt thought about it right? right? Uuh now you know... :0.0:

And just got an other (dumb?) idea about it, what do you think guys about hidind the navball when under partial control, both in flight and map view? so come back to a real aproxiamate manoeuver, forcing you to take more care about the environment to orientate the craft, estimate the speed,... and still better than no control at all. because for now the malus shouldn't change anything a lot for me, even if i can't wait to try it as! :cool:

2 minutes ago, Kerbuvim said:

This tread about the further development of the game, including. The absence of the concept of "life-support" is almost tantamount to an endless fuel, also makes the game too easy. Besides, life support can be made optional.

Life support should stay a mod. This game isn't meant to be 100% realistic.

3 hours ago, Jarin said:

Any word on PorkJet's work with the rocket-part models?

Yes I would like to know also. Ive asked this question in 4 different devnotes this being the 5th. Squad will not answer this question. Why? 

3 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Yes I would like to know also. Ive asked this question in 4 different devnotes this being the 5th. Squad will not answer this question. Why? 

They aren't answering the question because it's not coming in the next version.  If it were, we would have heard before QA started.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.