Half-size liquid fuel tank

11 hours ago, JMBuilder said:

half-size liquid fuel tank

What exactly do you mean by "half size"?  Having trouble picturing what you're talking about.  Smaller diameter?  Shorter length?  For what purpose?  ("more precise fuselage structures" means what?)

Personally, my problem with the existing LF tanks is the exact opposite: they're too small.  Other than airplane tanks-- which there are tons of, in a variety of shapes and sizes-- the only tanks that are a useful shape for rockets are little bitty things that are inconveniently small for using with the only (but very important) LF rocket engine in the game.  What I'd like is to have bigger LF tanks (e.g. the equivalent of the 4-ton, 16-ton, and 32-ton LFO tanks).

9 minutes ago, Snark said:

What exactly do you mean by "half size"?  Having trouble picturing what you're talking about.  Smaller diameter?  Shorter length?  For what purpose?  ("more precise fuselage structures" means what?)

Personally, my problem with the existing LF tanks is the exact opposite: they're too small.  Other than airplane tanks-- which there are tons of, in a variety of shapes and sizes-- the only tanks that are a useful shape for rockets are little bitty things that are inconveniently small for using with the only (but very important) LF rocket engine in the game.  What I'd like is to have bigger LF tanks (e.g. the equivalent of the 4-ton, 16-ton, and 32-ton LFO tanks).

Probably a tweakable for contents (LF-only/LF+Ox/Ox-only, etc).

Just make procedural parts and fuel switch stock already.

12 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

Probably a tweakable for contents (LF-only/LF+Ox/Ox-only, etc).

Just make procedural parts and fuel switch stock already.

I'm not a fan of procedural parts... but yeah, would be nice to have a fuel switch, preferably accompanied by some texture tweak that would provide visible feedback of which-flavor-of-tank-is-this.

Would not only solve the "no decent rocket-friendly LF tanks" problem nicely, but would also allow reducing the parts list by getting rid of a fair amount of current duplication.  (Wouldn't reduce it as far as procedural parts would, but would still be a step in the right direction.)

I think a stock fuel switch is practically a no-brainer-- I'm hard put to imagine that anybody would be against that.  Might be some folks who wouldn't actually use it, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone argue "no, I wouldn't want that."  It seems unambiguously better to me, and I don't think it would be a big technical deal to implement.

For procedural parts, I think the case is a lot less clear, largely because it's a matter of taste.  There are plenty of people on both sides of the issue-- folks who would love it, folks who would hate it.  Therefore, on that matter I tend to come down on the "don't fix it if it ain't broke"; I'd say, don't do procedural fuel tanks in stock, and let folks who want them use a mod.

(And I'm not just saying that because I happen to prefer non-procedural tanks myself.  I'd have the same opinion even if I personally preferred procedural tanks.  Just because I happen to like something doesn't mean that everyone does, or that it should be stock.  My personal bar for "should be stock" is "I, and nearly everyone, would like this, and it would be technically straightforward to implement."  Fuel switch passes that test, for me.  Procedural tanks don't.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.