I'm writing a story, just to see if i can do it.

NSEP

I think i am the type of boi who does everything he wants to, only if he has the tools and gear for it. This means i wont play No Man's Sky, even though i want to, i dont have a good enough PC for that. But i could write a story, all i need is something to write it on (I am using my computer) and a creative brain, i have both of them, so i can do it. But im not an actual writer or anything, im just giving it a try. Why? Because my computer overheats faster because its summer and i can barely play KSP now, it shuts down after 20 minutes, so i get bored quicker. And i have a couple of idea's of stories i could write: (They are not going to be real books, just a file on WordPad that you can read)

-Voyage to the Moon, a realistic but fictional mission to the Moon.

-The Ancient Chamber, a story about explorers discovering an ancient chamber, were weird paranormal stuff happends.

-A fictional journal, a story with a journal point of view, probably about a persons daily life.

Those are just a bunch of ideas. But im not just writing a story. Alot of people like my cartoony way of drawing people, i have my own style, its not too realistic, or too unrealistic, it is not to Japanese either lol. This means im actually going to draw pictures of things that have to do with the story if i want to, so it might be a bit childish, but a story without pictures feels so boring to me, even though pictures in books and stories are for little kids. I just love drawing and i dont want to scrap that away. Drawing is life man. 

So i am writing a story, what do you think? Do you think im a stupid idiot wasting my time? Or do you look forward to what i will make? Tell us. And have you written or are you writing a story, dont be shy, just tell us if you want to.

I've been dying to make a realistic Apollo mission simulator where players can interact with the controls, and also maneuver inside the craft. Maybe even multiplayer!

Sadly :( I lack any ability to create video games. Doesn't help that no one wants to. Closest we have is @Mulbin's Mercury Simulator.

So sadly it'll never happen. Granted I'd love to help write that book... If you wanted me to.

10 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I've been dying to make a realistic Apollo mission simulator where players can interact with the controls, and also maneuver inside the craft. Maybe even multiplayer!

Sadly :( I lack any ability to create video games. Doesn't help that no one wants to. Closest we have is @Mulbin's Mercury Simulator.

So sadly it'll never happen. Granted I'd love to help write that book... If you wanted me to.

Making video games is hard and requires skill, i have tried making a game too, but you could only move a 2d sprite, thats it. But if you want to help with my story, no problem! Working together is always good! You can do whatever you want, like choosing wich character does what and writing a chapter when you want to. Should i add you on PM? It is easier to talk with that.

If you write, you're a writer. For writers who are writing things on the Forum, we do have a thread for writers to talk about writing. You can find a lot of the more active Forum fiction and "embellished" mission report creators there, along with links to their work. @KSK, a prolific and outstanding writer himself, maintains a  Fan Works Library comprising links to both active an dormant story and story-like content. Hoping to see some of your stuff up on Fan Works or Mission Reports forum SoonTM:) 

12 hours ago, NSEP said:

But im not an actual writer or anything, im just giving it a try.

OK, I'd be glad to also help with the writing part if I can. Don't sell yourself short... if you're writing something, you're definitely a writer.

12 hours ago, NSEP said:

Those are just a bunch of ideas. But im not just writing a story. Alot of people like my cartoony way of drawing people, i have my own style, its not too realistic, or too unrealistic, it is not to Japanese either lol. This means im actually going to draw pictures of things that have to do with the story if i want to, so it might be a bit childish, but a story without pictures feels so boring to me, even though pictures in books and stories are for little kids. I just love drawing and i dont want to scrap that away. Drawing is life man. 

Let's get this out of the way first. Go for it! If you've looked at my story, then you know I love illustrations as well. I'm using screenshots, but if you like to draw... and BTW, is your avatar something you did? Then by all means draw! Do whatever you like best, and use whatever you feel might work. :D

12 hours ago, NSEP said:

And i have a couple of idea's of stories i could write: (They are not going to be real books, just a file on WordPad that you can read)

-The Ancient Chamber, a story about explorers discovering an ancient chamber, were weird paranormal stuff happends.

-A fictional journal, a story with a journal point of view, probably about a persons daily life.

Write all of them!  Either on paper, or at least in your head. BTW, I do this a lot. I don't just sit down and start typing. I daydream a lot, and just let the story flesh itself out in my head first. In fact the reason I'm up this early on a Saturday is I had a great idea for my next chapter. So good I had to get up, make some coffee and write it down before I forgot.

I like all three of your ideas. In fact, if you wanted, I think they would go together nicely into one. A journal of someone that went to the Moon, and encountered something really, really weird in a chamber they did not expect to find. And something like that could be a stand alone story, or just the beginning of a larger adventure, if you wanted to keep going.

12 hours ago, NSEP said:

And have you written or are you writing a story, dont be shy, just tell us if you want to.

When I started Emiko Station, I didn't know what I was doing, or where it was going... not at all. I just wrote a story about an asteroid, and decided to spice it up into something more than just an average mission report. A couple days later I had an idea for a really sweet, romantic screenshot, and this turned into chapter 2. At this point I realized if I was going to do this, we needed a danger element... and chapter 3 happened. But chapter 3 isn't entirely original, it was inspired by and based on an old Johnny Quest episode called "The Robot Spy". 

And the story just kept building from there, and still is. My point is you don't have to have the entire thing in your head before you start... not at all. Might be good to figure out how it will end, eventually, but don't get stuck on the idea that you need to have it all figured out first. Just start writing it out now, and see what happens. I can't tell you how many times I was writing a chapter down, and while I was, a great idea came into my head how to follow it up in the next chapter.

12 hours ago, NSEP said:

So i am writing a story, what do you think? Do you think im a stupid idiot wasting my time? Or do you look forward to what i will make? 

You are ABSOLUTELY NOT an idiot for wanting to write something. And I definitely look forward to reading what you come up with.

Edited by Just Jim

Just now, Just Jim said:

OK, I'd be glad to also help with the writing part if I can. I never really considered myself a real writer either, but Emiko Station seems to be proving me wrong. If I can do it, so can you... or anyone for that matter.  :wink:

Ok! So you want to help me too? No problem!

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Let's get this out of the way first. Go for it! If you've looked at my story, then you know I love illustrations as well. I'm using screenshots, but if you like to draw... and BTW, is your avatar something you did? Then by all means draw! Do whatever you like best, and use whatever you feel might work. :D

Ok, drawing is my life, so i will draw my friend, i have read a bit of your Ekimo Station story and it was awesome, the screenshots/illustrations you made were nice! I the fact that you turned a screenshot of a video game into an actual comic book sort of illustration. My avatar is at least 500 years old, it is just a funny picture if found on the internet.

6 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Write all of them!  Either on paper, or at least in your head. BTW, I do this a lot. I don't just sit down and start typing. I daydream a lot, and just let the story flesh itself out in my head first. In fact the reason I'm up this early on a Saturday is I had a great idea for my next chapter. So good I had to get up, make some coffee and write it down before I forgot.

I like all three of your ideas. In fact, if you wanted, I think they would go together nicely into one. A journal of someone that went to the Moon, and encountered something really, really weird in a chamber they did not expect to find. And something like that could be a stand alone story, or just the beginning of a larger adventure, if you wanted to keep going.   

Yes! Daydreaming, i do it when im bored all the time, a handy thing for writing stories, i actually have an entire universe in my head, called the Iconel universe, were in the future people have a lifestyle of the early 1900s but most of them live in spaceships and Exoplanets, it is actually in the same universe as my Ameschland Space Agency story, All of them made using my head. Fun fact: Ameschland all started in a Minecraft world when i was younger, i named it Ameschland, just a random name with no meaning at all. (it was originaly named DutchCity, but i wanted to turn it into a country) The same country has been stuck in my head for years now.

(Just scroll up to read it from start to end) It is not a full story i wrote though, im not sure what happends next.

And the thing with the mixed story... Good idea! That idea kind of reminds me of the Apollo 20 hoax story, wich might be real or not. But it was about a top secret Apollo 20 mission, one of the astronauts was William Rutledge, he uploaded a bunch of strange videos on YouTube of weird buildings on the Moon and some Aliens.

21 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

When I started Emiko Station, I didn't know what I was doing, or where it was going... not at all. I just wrote a story about an asteroid, and decided to spice it up into something more than just an average mission report. A couple days later I had an idea for a really sweet, romantic screenshot, and this turned into chapter 2. At this point I realized if I was going to do this, we needed a danger element... and chapter 3 happened. But chapter 3 isn't entirely original, it was inspired by and based on an old Johnny Quest episode called "The Robot Spy". 

And the story just kept building from there, and still is. My point is you don't have to have the entire thing in your head before you start... not at all. Might be good to figure out how it will end, eventually, but don't get stuck on the idea that you need to have it all figured out first. Just start writing it out now, and see what happens. I can't tell you how many times I was writing a chapter down, and while I was, a great idea came into my head how to follow it up in the next chapter.  

The same thing goes for most of my stories, i dont know what i am doing, but it ends up a good idea. The Ancient Chamber was just that, i was just thinking of random stuff, and i came up with the idea. And i also get alot of inspiration from other stories, the Moon mission one is inspired by 2 movies: Apollo 13, and Le Voyage Dans La Lune. Be cause in Le Voyage Dans La Lune people discover aliens, wich fits well with the mixed story idea. And Apollo 13 with the realistic feeling to it, Apollo 13 happend in real life, but my story is going to be a Sci-Fi story that feels like it happend in real life.

The story building thing is what i do with the ASA history story, it is pretty fun. But i also like stories with an end, because then i could maybe turn it in to a book or something, if i later wanted to. And i do not have an entire story in my head from start to end, most of it is just the plot, and that is good. I dont want an entire book in my head, i have other things to do.

I really love your Ekimo station story, even though i havent read much of it. It is awesome!

And im not an idiot for doing that, that is 99,99% clear, thanks for caring my friend! I will start a private conversation on making that story so everybody who wants to can join in. Thanks!

20 hours ago, NSEP said:

I think i am the type of boi who does everything he wants to, only if he has the tools and gear for it. This means i wont play No Man's Sky, even though i want to, i dont have a good enough PC for that. But i could write a story, all i need is something to write it on (I am using my computer) and a creative brain, i have both of them, so i can do it. But im not an actual writer or anything, im just giving it a try. Why? Because my computer overheats faster because its summer and i can barely play KSP now, it shuts down after 20 minutes, so i get bored quicker. And i have a couple of idea's of stories i could write: (They are not going to be real books, just a file on WordPad that you can read)

So i am writing a story, what do you think? Do you think im a stupid idiot wasting my time? Or do you look forward to what i will make? Tell us. And have you written or are you writing a story, dont be shy, just tell us if you want to.

As I think everyone else has already pointed out - if you write, you're a writer! And I can't think of a better reason for writing a story than 'to see if you can do it.' After all, you'll never find out unless you give it a try and giving something a try is never a waste of time. OK, let me rephrase that - trying something productive or artistic, is never a waste of time. :)

Very much looking forward to what you make. As @Just Jim said, any one of those ideas looks like a fine place to start and they'd work pretty well all mashed together too! If you're posting them on the KSP forum (and I hope you are), then it might be an idea to mention a kerbal in the story somewhere but KSP fiction emphatically does not have to be about spaceflight. Quite the opposite I'd say - I'd love to read a fictional journal about a kerbal's daily life, for example.

Seeing as you asked the question, I am writing at the moment (thanks to @Kuzzter for the very generous shout-out) and there's a link to my story in my signature. I didn't quite know where I was going to begin with either - I started with a short story, decided that could make a good prologue to a longer story, which started as one thing, mutated into another and finally settled down as something different again. :) 

But nothing beats the lightbulb moment when you get that idea. Perhaps you've been struggling to get the words down for a bit and you're not quite sure where the story is going. Then, like Jim, you wake up and it's there! Grab some coffee, find a keyboard and off you go. Then you get that happy feeling when you realise that if you tweaked the idea like this, then it fits in beautifully with a plot line you were working through a couple of chapters ago. And, ooooh, if this works like that, then that must work like this, which really fleshes out a throwaway line you scribbled down somewhere back in chapter 2! Hah - it's almost like you planned it in advance. And don't stop now but there's the idea you were looking for to really kick off the next part of the story! Better figure out what you need to get down in the next chapter to make that work.

And that growling, gurgling noise is your stomach sounding general quarters and demanding food at all costs. How come it's lunchtime already...

Edited by KSK

On 8/26/2016 at 7:26 PM, NSEP said:

Do it, sometimes you'll hit a block, but what I do is just read about what I want to write (Interstellar travel, exoplanets, other types of intelligent life, etc) sometimes it doesn't help me, but when I do overcome the block, I know what I want to write about, and it'll take longer for me to hit it.

If your computer overheats, just aim a couple of fans down at the keyboard where it gets hot, that's what I do, otherwise it shuts off shortly after entering the VAB, I've been able to get 1 to 2 hours of playtime with the fans.

VttM sounds very interesting, I'm a sucker for Scifi :)

TAC Oooh, nice, a fantasy book.

AFJ could be interesting, although, I have to admit, I've only read one type of book like that.

They're good ideas, and drawing is fun.

Keep at it, and you could be a bestselling author someday I'm really looking forward to VttM

My current books are in my sig.

3 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Do it, sometimes you'll hit a block, but what I do is just read about what I want to write (Interstellar travel, exoplanets, other types of intelligent life, etc) sometimes it doesn't help me, but when I do overcome the block, I know what I want to write about, and it'll take longer for me to hit it.

If your computer overheats, just aim a couple of fans down at the keyboard where it gets hot, that's what I do, otherwise it shuts off shortly after entering the VAB, I've been able to get 1 to 2 hours of playtime with the fans.

VttM sounds very interesting, I'm a sucker for Scifi :)

TAC Oooh, nice, a fantasy book.

AFJ could be interesting, although, I have to admit, I've only read one type of book like that.

They're good ideas, and drawing is fun.

Keep at it, and you could be a bestselling author someday I'm really looking forward to VttM

My current books are in my sig.

Im working on a mix between VttM and TAC. Just Jim gave me the idea of mixing it. and i think it is genius. Im pretty sure you are going to like it since you are a sucker for Sci-Fi. Thanks for the nice comment man!

23 hours ago, KSK said:

As I think everyone else has already pointed out - if you write, you're a writer! And I can't think of a better reason for writing a story than 'to see if you can do it.' After all, you'll never find out unless you give it a try and giving something a try is never a waste of time. OK, let me rephrase that - trying something productive or artistic, is never a waste of time. :)

Very much looking forward to what you make. As @Just Jim said, any one of those ideas looks like a fine place to start and they'd work pretty well all mashed together too! If you're posting them on the KSP forum (and I hope you are), then it might be an idea to mention a kerbal in the story somewhere but KSP fiction emphatically does not have to be about spaceflight. Quite the opposite I'd say - I'd love to read a fictional journal about a kerbal's daily life, for example.

Seeing as you asked the question, I am writing at the moment (thanks to @Kuzzter for the very generous shout-out) and there's a link to my story in my signature. I didn't quite know where I was going to begin with either - I started with a short story, decided that could make a good prologue to a longer story, which started as one thing, mutated into another and finally settled down as something different again. :) 

But nothing beats the lightbulb moment when you get that idea. Perhaps you've been struggling to get the words down for a bit and you're not quite sure where the story is going. Then, like Jim, you wake up and it's there! Grab some coffee, find a keyboard and off you go. Then you get that happy feeling when you realise that if you tweaked the idea like this, then it fits in beautifully with a plot line you were working through a couple of chapters ago. And, ooooh, if this works like that, then that must work like this, which really fleshes out a throwaway line you scribbled down somewhere back in chapter 2! Hah - it's almost like you planned it in advance. And don't stop now but there's the idea you were looking for to really kick off the next part of the story! Better figure out what you need to get down in the next chapter to make that work.

And that growling, gurgling noise is your stomach sounding general quarters and demanding food at all costs. How come it's lunchtime already...

Doing something productive is never a waste of time, but im being productive almost every day, but some people say it is a waste of time. Strange.

im doing nothing Kerbal Space Program related, im sorry. But it could be cool for a story that i could make later. Im writing a space related story though.

Yeah, but i think you should wait for an lightbulb to pop up above your head before grabbing coffee, being lazy and relaxed you more creative. Proven by science! But being active also allows you to actually fix it a bit. At least i think so.

Yes food = energy.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 0:52 AM, ZooNamedGames said:

So sadly it'll never happen.

...Never say never :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.