Are wheels fixed?

Talavar

Plane wheels are a little broken - a bit jumpy, and the early ones are a bit explodey.

Rover wheels are more broken, entering the 'blocked' state at a sneeze.

The fix is in the code for the next release.

Since 1.1.3 you can change multipliers for weight and sleep stress in settings.cfg, so you can fix it yourself to an extent, but no they aren't fixed at code level yet.

Edited by Guest

Nope, not fixed yet.  We are hoping for 1.2 to fix the issues.  They've shown at least one plane (a bit eccentric one by @Azimech) that did in fact drive down the runway straight in Squadcast, so that is good news.  However, that plane may drive down the runway in 1.1.3 since some do and some don't.

Edited by Alshain

4 hours ago, Talavar said:

Been out of the loop for a while now. Haven't played since aircraft started doing the horizontal jig. Has a fix been applied yet? Been getting a KSP itch that I'd like to scratch.

Is there a new version yet?  No.

Can you make planes anyway?  Yes.  It's not the apocalypse some say it is.

Edited by Corona688

5 hours ago, Talavar said:

Been out of the loop for a while now. Haven't played since aircraft started doing the horizontal jig. Has a fix been applied yet? Been getting a KSP itch that I'd like to scratch.

You and me both. Building many VTOLS (when the game doesn't crash, that is) in the meantime.
When's this port to a not-FUBAR Unity release happening again?

@Talavar: There are definitely wheel problems that have layers of band-aids on them.  If you want to take 5 minutes to learn how to make it work, so you can have fun playing the game, that option is definitely available.

If you prefer to complain about the wheel apocalypse and how unplayable the game is, that option is also available

Basically:

Planes don't do the jig on the launchpad any more.  Give your rear plane wheels more brakes and more friction (turn off auto-friction control) than the front. Rover wheels are very touchy about clipping, and even being close to other parts without clipping.  Give them breathing room, and if you want to play with offset do it very carefully and patiently.  Oh, and we now know that all gear and legs were basically unbreakable in previous versions - you now must use heavier gear and/or more of them on larger craft.  If the ship bounces up and down on physics load (on whatever gravity level it's intended for) increase damping.  If it sinks and fully compresses the gear, give it more spring (if you max out the spring and it still sinks, go a size up or double up).  Otherwise leave those alone. Lastly, be ready to do some repetitive tuning to dial it all in.

Edited by fourfa

4 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

They're still buggy but I've released a small cfg tweak to make rover wheels 3 times tougher.
http://spacedock.info/profile/Xyphos - the mod is called "Tough Love" feel free to explore the other tweaks I've released.

Interesting, I'll download it for now and play stock wheels.  If I see some crazy stuff happening, I'll install your mod.
To note that most of the time I put plane wheels on rovers as they did the job better, while having an engine and some fuel to not have to mash "W" for hours on end... :wink:.

51 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

most of the time I put plane wheels on rovers as they did the job better,

that's because plane wheels have a higher impact tolerance. my mod makes the rover wheels 3 times tougher to bring them up to scale with the plane wheels.

On 8/27/2016 at 11:57 AM, Talavar said:

I have a rover up on Mun, batteries are dead, yet it crawls in slow circles... endlessly.

So, in a word, No.

Wheels are definitely usable and allow things to be done that wouldn't work in 1.05 and earlier... I'm really tired of a small number of players endlessly complaining about them.

My only complaint is that I think the stress tolerance on some is too low, or the stress tolerance to part mass ratio isn't so good.

Its never been so easy to make rovers that can drive in and out of a craft via the cargoramp

Spoiler

Couldn't do this stuff with 1.05 wheels

UKUPIjO.png

1aPSPuF.png

No4fm1q.png

VvAcAD5.png

Q3yuGTz.png

5QkPmxl.png

Before 1.1, when you'd redock the rover, the craft would clip through the bottom of the craft, and the next time you try to undock would result in lots of explosions as parts collide into each other.

Now you can simply drive on and off as it should be

I am currently fooling around with mods to see if I would want them in a new game when 1.2.x ( :wink::P ) hits us, so I cannot say for sure this is not a mod issue, although I am not really using physics changing mods, mostly UI and functionalities.

Long story short: my capsules (with heat shield) tend to drift ever so slowly on the ground - without the need of a wheel.

51 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Wheels are definitely usable and allow things to be done that wouldn't work in 1.05 and earlier... I'm really tired of a small number of players endlessly complaining about them.

My only complaint is that I think the stress tolerance on some is too low, or the stress tolerance to part mass ratio isn't so good.

Its never been so easy to make rovers that can drive in and out of a craft via the cargoramp

Reveal hidden contents

Couldn't do this stuff with 1.05 wheels

UKUPIjO.png

1aPSPuF.png

No4fm1q.png

VvAcAD5.png

Q3yuGTz.png

5QkPmxl.png

Before 1.1, when you'd redock the rover, the craft would clip through the bottom of the craft, and the next time you try to undock would result in lots of explosions as parts collide into each other.

Now you can simply drive on and off as it should be

Well, your irritation aside, wheels are broken. It's acknowledged by the devs and a fix is coming. The big issue for me is that they collide with parts of the same craft which causes them to break when fairings stage or there are forces applied to the craft they are stowed in. When that goes rover wheels will be peachy.

I just saw you liked that wheels now collide with parent craft. This is not intended behaviour and will be gone in the next patch. If you had an issue with them clipping before and exploding you where not setting up your rover docking correctly. ;-)

Edited by Majorjim!

I have yet to find anyone provide an actual statement from the devs that they are "broken" ... I remember Alshain claiming that and when asked to provide a source, his link didn't support the claim. In need of tweaking and some balancing = yes. Major mechanics are broken? no, not at all.

I fail to see how wheels not being able to pass through other solid parts of the same craft is a glitch.

Also, no, before it was not me setting up my rover docking "incorrectly" unless you mean that the only "correct" way to do it is to have two docking connections simultaneously... which is a major PITA

I do not miss this behavior one bit:

Spoiler

OsICpah.png

AYXoKrR.png

Only way to make it work was if I got the 2nd connection to connect.. .designing rovers with a docking port on top was a PITA,, getting them to drive up and get both to connect at once... pita, having to drop rovers out of the belly... PITA.

H0VR4lE.png

S3ocCzc.png

With 1 docking port, there was no way around this.. .you drive up, you dock, the wheels stop supporting the craft and it falls through the floor... that is broken...

SIetDyw.png

having stuff collide with the wheels instead of passing harmlessly through it is not broken... the wheel strength could be tweaked, but the overall mechanics are just fine

5 minutes ago, Warzouz said:

That's not very reassuring. We all know how it's ended...

The good news is allegedly wheels are already fixed. They just wait for other stuff to be done with the new release.

Wheels work, but there are some glitches/QoL problems:

1. Occasionally they'll just autoadjust their friction coefficient to 0.2. I have no idea why, but it makes them slide around in ridiculous ways until I manually override.

2. The fixed gear have their wheels clip through the housing when the suspension is near full compression.

3. The fixed gear are very finnicky and don't have enough suspension traverse or loading capacity to handle even one-man tiny planes cleanly. They like to toothpick.

4. Sometimes, generally when heavily loaded or with strong springs, phantom forces will start acting on a craft. These can sometimes propel it quite rapidly.

5. Wheels have multiple failure modes and it is by no means clear what causes which: They can break, they can overstress, they can turn into rigid spars, or they can explode.

6. The lateral friction is inconsistent. Sometimes wheels will slide like they're on a hockey rink; other times trying to turn will result in them biting into the ground like cleats and your vehicle flipping.

7. The fastest way to drive the biggest rover wheels is to go ASASASASASASASASA.

8. The "blocked" hitbox is not clear in the assembly buildings.

9. No tweakables for steering range.

10. Largest steerable gear is the medium.

Edited by foamyesque

58 minutes ago, foamyesque said:

The "blocked" hitbox is not clear in the assembly buildings

Is there a short-term hack to work around the wheel blocking?

Back in 1.0.5 I managed to use larger wheels to make a somewhat more rugged rover with the RoveMate that still fit in the 2.5 m service bay. That worked in 1.1 pre-release and even went faster than the original, but not in 1.1.3.

Yes, I'm breaking the rules by clipping the suspension into the probe body, but if someone were to actually engineer this they'd cut openings into the casing to fit the suspension. The RoveMate has no better logic than the OKTO and no reaction wheels, so it kind-of makes sense that there'd be an OKTO motherboard and a lot of empty space in that package.

My understanding is wheel blocking won't happen in 1.2. Just looking for a short term hack until then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.