The Domino's Challenge

The Domino's Challenge

"Delivery in 20 minutes, or it's free!"

After working on this challenge my self for the last few weeks, and realizing how much fun it was to push the limits of my innovation. The Concept is simple, the mountains ahead enormous... You are charged with building a base to research the mysterious Pyramids! Discover their secrets, and collect pretty red jewels! But, How do we get a base there? 

Build a cargo plane that can deliver 2.5m base modules, as fast as possible, so you can get the red jewels before someone else does!

A simple task, but will you be able to overcome the intense aerodynamic effects of going Mach 5??? Will your plane be able stand withstand the heat and not make your kerbals part of the next "Mysterious goo" container? Will you have enough lift to stay aloft at 25 km or will you plummet to the ground? Will you run out of fuel with the pedal to the metal before you even get there?

Requirements 

• Stock parts
  • Be fully reusable
  • Be able to refuel itself 
  • Utilize at least one MK3 Cargo bay CRG-100 and one MK3 Cargo Ramp
  • Be able to haul atleast (you can haul more if you want, and it will increase your score) Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank with Clamp-o-tron Docking Port Sr on each side
  • Have a Loading dolly capable of loading and docking base modules together.
  • Jet Propulsion Only
  • Vehicle may not leave the atmosphere (Part of the Challenge is overcoming the heating effects of going so fast)
  • Re-Entry heating is to be set to 100%

Delivery Protocol:

1. Vehicle must be empty, with the Loading Dolly in the Cargo Bay, Just off the KSC Runway
  2. Load the payload (Orange Tank) onto the Runway
  3. Switch to your vehicle, as soon as you release your brakes, start your timer.
  4. Using the Loading Dolly, load the payload into the plane, and take off.
  5. For this run, we're going to the Pyramids!
  6. Unload the Payload, and Dock it too an existing base module, and finally stop your timer.

Vehicles will be judged as Follows (Delivery speed + (Vehicle Cost/100) - Payload Tonnage + Part Count) Lowest Score Wins:

• Delivery Speed - valued in minutes & Seconds 15m25s would be added up as 1,525
  • Vehicle Cost - One hundredth Of vehicle Cost for score weight I.E. 132,000 vehicle cost = 1,320
  • Payload Tonnage - Standard value in tons,  an Orange tank and 2 docking ports sr' weighs 36.4 Tons
  • Part Count - Higher Parts slows down the game and will increase you overall score, not good. 80 parts 
  • Example Score- (1,525 +1320 - 36.4 + 80 = 2,888.6) -1000 {for the bonus points} = 1,888.6 Total Score!

Bonus Points Will be awarded for:

• Emergency Protocol I.E. Being able to save the crew in case of RVD   Rapid. Vehicular. Disassembly. -500
  • If the Vehicle can Load and Fly to the destination in under 20 Minutes. -1000
  • If the Vehicle can Load, Fly to The destination, and Unload in under 20 minutes. -2000
  • If the Vehicle can land and takeoff in the water -500
  • If the Vehicle can drop it's cargo Accurately (within 200m) via Air Drop -500
  • If the Vehicle can VTOL -1000

Edited by Eagleclawjlv

Looks like a fun challenge, but a bit hard to complete  especially since there isn't a summary of the mission at the top of the page. Just a few sentences saying if this is a airplane challenge, SSTO, etc. Also saying where to deliver the cargo clearly is key, perhaps a downloadable map with a tower or flag there, even just a screenshot with the target location relative to the KSC is very useful. Finally adding a imgur album link/embedded in the post of your attempt at the challenge helps people understand the point/goal if they are still confused. Even though nobody has completed it yet putting up an empty leaderboard makes people think "hey just by doing x I can take the #1 spot." 

It's traditional for the OP to submit their own entry for the challenge.  Not only to prove that it's possible, but to also help other forumgoers understand the intent.  A picture is worth a thousand words, and all that.

One other thing--you might want to rethink your scoring system a bit.  High part count and high cost are bad for your score, and high payload helps your score, but I don't understand why a high speed would also hurt your score.  Is that intentional? EDIT: never mind, it's delivery *time*, not delivery *speed*. My bad.  But payload tonnage is the same for everyone, since you specified one orange tank, right?

Also, do you have a save file we can use, with the existing base already stationed at the pyramids?

Edited by zolotiyeruki

3 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

It's traditional for the OP to submit their own entry for the challenge.  Not only to prove that it's possible, but to also help other forumgoers understand the intent.  A picture is worth a thousand words, and all that.

One other thing--you might want to rethink your scoring system a bit.  High part count and high cost are bad for your score, and high payload helps your score, but I don't understand why a high speed would also hurt your score.  Is that intentional?

Oh, here delivery speed actually refers to delivery time. If you follow the way it's defined, the scoring winds up working out fine, it's just confusing verbiage. I'm actually a fan of the nonlinear use of time for scoring here, it feels right for minutes to have a powerful impact and seconds to not matter quite as much. It gives big milestones to strive for, and feels like someone eyeing their watch over a pizza delivery. Perhaps it's just me, I do love nonlinear scoring systems for some reason.

It also sounds like @Eagleclawjlv has been making crafts for this purpose for a while, so they might be a little buff for a competition kicker. Pictures are always awesome though, and I can heartily recommend PostImage and LunaPic for image hosting. 640x480 works well for medium-sized pics, and 1280x1024 for large. This works for people who have 1920x1080 monitors so the picture takes up half or all of the forum's textbox width. For folks with other resolutions, it'll bleed onto the margin, but that's CSS for you. Speaking of CSS, I miss Imgur :( . For either of these image hosting services, just copy (Ctrl+C) the "direct link" (an html link ending in .png or .jpg or what have you) and paste it directly into the forum. The forum should automagically make the picture appear right then, and then you can drag the picture around your post. Anyways, depending on how far along you think your craft are, you don't necessarily need to score them, but pictures do tend to strike imaginations better than words. Once again, I probably won't be in the running, but I'm eagerly awaiting other folk's entries! :lol:

4 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Oh, here delivery speed actually refers to delivery time. If you follow the way it's defined, the scoring winds up working out fine, it's just confusing verbiage. I'm actually a fan of the nonlinear use of time for scoring here, it feels right for minutes to have a powerful impact and seconds to not matter quite as much. It gives big milestones to strive for, and feels like someone eyeing their watch over a pizza delivery. Perhaps it's just me, I do love nonlinear scoring systems for some reason.

Yeah, I realized my mistake (and updated my post) after posting it.  Do you have a save file that we can all use, so that we know what we're docking this payload to?  And do you have your own example entry?

I would like to keep the Pyramids a secret, it is an anomaly you have to find your self, and then start a base there, this is a challenge after all XD that being said, to answer a few questions... 

@Cunjo Carl TY for the warm welcome, it was unexpected and rather nice to see. 

@zolotiyeruki as stated above there will be no save, i imagine in some of your testing and refining you will be having base modules all over the place XD  and the Orange tank requirement is a Minimum, If the craft is able to deliver the longest 2.5m Part with suitable docking attachments, it will be able to handle anything you want, That being said, the Higher the tonnage, I.E. how many modules you can deliver in one trip will increase your score.

Here is a video of the craft i have come up with, I have since re designed it numerous times. and redifined it. KEEP IN MIND the challenge is to the Pyramids, not the north pole, this was a test run of the vehicle

Something to keep in mind, is this challenge, unlike some, Also has a high skill Cost. Flying at the proper angle to achieve a speed to allow you gain altitude faster will determine how quickly you accelerate.  A craft capable of flying higher, will have the benefit of achieving greater fuel efficiency and can thus carry less fuel, Then again, if you stay lower in the atmosphere you will run your engines with a higher intake air amount, and be able to go faster and faster.... till you over heat and die. Which will you overcome to achieve the fastest time?  A light plane, capable of flying at 26k sipping on 1unit of fuel a second? or a Heat resistant plane, that can fly at 1500+ m/s guzzling 6 unites per second? how you choose to approach this challenge will vastly change how you should design your air craft.  Or, Will you just try to get as many bonus points as possible, and forget about the time all together?

i Love hte input guys, and i will try to respond within a reasonable time frame. Ty for participating so far, and putting up with my first challenge i've made

Thanks for clarifying it!  May I offer a couple of suggestions to edit the OP to be a bit more clear? The challenge omits a few critical steps:

1. Find the pyramids
  2. Place a 2.5M base module of some sort there with a docking port
  3. Build a new craft with the following requirements:
    1. <insert list of requirements>
  4. Using this craft, deliver a payload of at least <orange tank dimensions> and <orange tank mass> to the base at the pyramids, using these steps
    1. <protocol bit>

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.