Flight of the SC Tyrant, my first manned mission to Jool

So I started a new game appropriately called "Super Epic Game of Awesomness." I decided for my first flights to be my first manned mission to Jool. Here I'll be covering the entire mission from the first launch to recovery of the SC Tyrant mission.

Crew Module Launch:

dvc0TTg.png

Launch of the first module, weighing in at about 7 tons.

otHWmll.png

Second stage and aeroshell deployed, ready for orbital insertion burn.

OlGyKz5.png

First module in orbit ~450km up.

1 hour ago, Firemetal said:

First of all, those parts could be lifted into orbit using 1.25m rockets.

Second, are you landing on a planet or just going to Jool orbit, do some flybys and return?

Looking good!

I'm going to orbit Jool and drop a probe into its atmosphere. Then I'll orbit Laythe and drop a probe into it. I'll then send to Kerbals down to the surface.

8 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

I'm going to orbit Jool and drop a probe into its atmosphere. Then I'll orbit Laythe and drop a probe into it. I'll then send to Kerbals down to the surface.

Ah. Cool mission plan. What mods are you using?

Fuel Module Launch

uNZWZcr.png

Launch of the module. It was so heavy (~40 tons) that I had to create a new rocket to boost it into orbit.

yiie5Tq.png

Going through rendezvous procedure.

I successfully docked with the Tyrant. I started testing the inflatable heat shield on the bottom. Being the idiot that I am, I accidentally pressed the "jettison heat shield" button. So, with the launch of the crew to the spacecraft, I attached another inflatable heat shield.

Launch of the crew

gB9s5DN.png

8GZ9kGX.png

Rendezvous procedure

nf2f8Mz.png

Arrival at the Tyrant

Hs5ZJsv.png

Bill ready to grab the heatshield. Just one problem, the crew transportation ship is not exactly aligned with the Tyrant. Another problem is that the heatshield is too heavy for just one Kerbal to grab.

After spending some time chasing the heatshield that was drifting off away from the Tyrant, Bill and Bob were running out of time and EVA fuel. A seperate launch is needed for a second replacement heatshield.

zKHrPJp.png

The transportation module docked to the Tyrant and Jeb, Val, Bill, and Bob went inside.

QY5NM9Z.png

At sunrise, the unmanned module undocks from the Tyrant to deorbit itself.

zWmCJpZ.png

hnosDrY.png

Edited by The Raging Sandwich
Typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.