[1.2] Galileo's Planet Pack (development thread) [v0.9]

Galileo

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

Thalia

This one makes me think of Z'ha'dum. Nice. :)

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

They will all have something special about them, however I dont feel its up to me to say what those special things are.  whenever i get around to making the biomes i can specify, what i feel, are some prominent features. 

Yeah, I'd rather explore and find out. :)

3 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Ortho is clearly the first of the three gas giants.  Which planets are Gratian and Thalia in terms of order from the Sun?

(I'm already starting to think about atmospheres for these.)

Thalia is between Icarus  and Gael 

Gratian, I haven't really decided but it's huge.  Has a radius on 1,000,000  and at the moment is after Gael 

I'm getting ready to get started on the rest on the bodies. 

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Gratian, I haven't really decided but it's huge.  Has a radius on 1,000,000  and at the moment is after Gael

I guess it depends on what kind of climate you want it to have.  It will undoubtedly have a thick atmosphere and, coming next in line after Gael, I would expect it to have some warm habitats.  If you move it out to the fifth position, there will certainly be a big drop in temperature.

Just now, OhioBob said:

I guess it depends on what kind of climate you want it to have.  It will undoubtedly have a thick atmosphere and, coming next in line after Gael, I would expect it to have some warm habitats.  If you move it out to the fifth position, there will certainly be a big drop in temperature.

Yeah I didn't mention that earlier. I think I will make it smaller and add the super earth between Gael and Gratian 

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Yeah I didn't mention that earlier. I think I will make it smaller and add the super earth between Gael and Gratian 

All these decisions are fluid at this point in time.  Before I finalize anything on the atmospheres, I'll discuss with you what I have in mind and what type of climates/habitats these planets might have.  If we don't like the results, we can always make the planets bigger or smaller and/or move them around.

Edited by OhioBob

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:09 PM, Shadriss said:

That said, you mentioned in another post that you wanted a moon to have a moon... neat idea, but I have to ask if this is A) Possible under Kopernicus (assuming Yes) and B) in any way realistic. At a minimum, that moon of a moon would be fighting several major gravitational pulls, and I can't help but wonder if such forces wouldn't tear it apart? At the least, it would have to have a huge amount of tidal activity or tectonic activity, I'd think, and since as far as I know tides aren't a thing in KSP, we'd be looking at a volcanic body. Which, honestly, would be pretty cool as well.

I just happened to stumble across this article...

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/44-our-solar-system/the-moon/general-questions/104-can-moons-have-moons-intermediate

41 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Always nice to get confirmation. So, if I read this right, the moon-of-a-moon thing can exist IF the primary moon is NOT in a tidal-locked rotation. That, by itself, would be pretty awesome, and make the whole thing possible on top of that. Thanks for the article, Ohio... good stuff in there.

2 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

So, if I read this right, the moon-of-a-moon thing can exist IF the primary moon is NOT in a tidal-locked rotation.

That's what I took away from the article as well.  And, of course, be inside the Hill sphere.

The problem is that almost all moons are tidally locked (I think there might be only a couple that aren't).  However, even if Galileo's moons are tidally locked, I see no reason why that should stop him from giving one a sub-moon.  This is fiction after all, not real life.  We can suspend a little bit of disbelief.

Just now, OhioBob said:

That's what I took away from the article as well.  And, of course, be inside the Hill sphere.

The problem is that almost all moons are tidally locked (I think there might be only a couple that aren't).  However, even if Galileo's moons are tidally locked, I see no reason why that should stop him from giving one a sub-moon.  This is fiction after all, not real life.  We can suspend a little bit of disbelief.

They will all bel tidally locked

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

That's probably the smart decision.  This is something I can also take a look at mathematically to confirm.

One issue that I have with the stock solar system is that I don't think the Kerbin-Mun system could exist as is.  With those bodies as big and as close together as they are, I think that Kerbin would be tidally locked as well.  It looks like you're going to have the same issue with Gael-Iota.  There are two possibilities:  (1) move Iota (and consequently Ceti) farther away, or (2) ignore the problem and suspend disbelief.  Either option works for me.  I want things to be realistic, but I'm not going to be a dick about every issue.  There are gameplay considerations that must sometimes trump realism.

If we do move Iota and Ceti farther away, I think there's a chance that Ceti may not necessarily be tidally locked.  I'd have to study it closer to see if that's a possibility.

Furthermore, even if we moved the moons father away, I don't think the planet could possibly maintain a 6-hour rotation period.  However, the 6-hour day is just one of those gameplay decisions that we must accept.  Even if we wanted to change it, the 6-hour day, like the length of the year, is hardcoded into the calendar.

48 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Tellumo

rm2tyE9.png

I like it! It looks cool how Tellumo seems part desert planet, sort of how I envisioned it.

40 minutes ago, Galileo said:

How about a captured dwarf planet with its own moon around the largest gas giant? If the dwarf planet is far enough away, then its moon could still be stable.

Also, how do you make these awesome planet textures?

Just now, OhioBob said:

Is that the super-earth between Gael and Gratian?  Definitely looks there are plenty of places for life to spring up there.

yes it is :)

Just now, OhioBob said:

That's probably the smart decision.  This is something I can also take a look at mathematically to confirm.

One issue that I have with the stock solar system is that I don't think the Kerbin-Mun system could exist as is.  With those bodies as big and as close together as they are, I think that Kerbin would be tidally locked as well.  It looks like you're going to have the same issue with Gael-Iota.  There are two possibilities:  (1) move Iota (and consequently Ceti) farther away, or (2) ignore the problem and suspend disbelief.  Either option works for me.  I want things to be realistic, but I'm not going to be a dick about every issue.  There are gameplay considerations that must sometimes trump realism.

If we do move Iota and Ceti farther away, I think there's a chance that Ceti may not necessarily be tidally locked.  I'd have to study it closer to see if that's a possibility.

Furthermore, even if we moved the moons father away, I don't think the planet could possibly maintain a 6-hour rotation period.  However, the 6-hour day is just one of those gameplay decisions that we must accept.  Even if we wanted to change it, the 6-hour day, like the length of the year, is hardcoded into the calendar.

Well wheni send you the cfgs i want you to play around with planet size and distances. Im a really bad judge on all that stuff. i just make it look pretty

That indeed is a great article, and something I'll heavily consider for when I settle on the concept for my own moon(s). It's kinda sad that all the moons here will be tidally locked but I won't whine about that. Every view will still be spectacular. :) Are all of Jool's moons locked, or just the three large ones?

I'm swept away by the new pictures btw: Gratian and Geminus, Thalia, Otho, Tellumo.

Spoiler

Heaven help us with what Thalia's hiding.

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Are all of Jool's moons locked, or just the three large ones?

All the stock moons are tidally locked except Gilly and Minmus.

Edited by OhioBob

@Galileo, it just occurred to me that I haven't seen any rings.  Are you planning to have a ring system around any of your gas giants?

Something else I haven't seen much of is ice caps.  We don't yet know what the surface conditions of these planets will be, but if it's determined that they would likely have ice caps, is that something that can be added?

Just now, OhioBob said:

@Galileo, it just occurred to me that I haven't seen any rings.  Are you planning to have a ring system around any of your gas giants?

Something else I haven't seen much of is ice caps.  We don't yet know what the surface conditions of these planets will be, but if it's determined that they would likely have ice caps, is that something that can be added?

yeah ice caps are easy and i can do rings i just havent done that yet

10 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Ooh rings would look really nice. Would rings around Gael be realistic and/or feasible? It would look epic though 

Edited by TheEpicSquared