Alert when on-rails vessel is destroyed

So I find myself, not for the first time, digging through backup files to restore a probe that I last left safely landed - and which had mysteriously vanished when I looked for it a few flights later. Fortunately, I found it, put it back, and flew it away unscathed, but...

Could we get a proper warning (pause the game and pop it up) if a vessel with a probe core, or crew, or whose type is station, probe, ship, lander, rover or base, is destroyed?

In most cases the player would be able to immediately quickload the last save, and double-check that they'd put it somewhere safe. Ideally, use a prediction of doom to say "this vessel will be destroyed in 10 minutes or less [allow to be destroyed] [go to]". 

(In this specific instance, I was landed on Hale from OPM, which is a miniscule little moon where any movement at all bounces you off the surface. It seems likely that the ship was not truly landed, but was in fact a few cm above the ground when I left it, and thus got destroyed minutes later, possibly at the moment I left the flight scene. If given an alert, I could have gone straight to F9, probably had it happen again, and finally worked out I needed to park in orbit.)

Edited by eddiew

Don't you mean an alert when a vessel ON rails is destroyed?
They only vessels off rails are those you are currently controlling or within your physics bubble. If you fail to notice your active craft explodes that's probably the least of your problems.

But I agree with your suggestion. I too mysteriously lost craft but trough different means. A returning mission got an unplanned gravity slingshot from Mun that dropped the Pe below Kerbins surface. By the time I realized it was missing it was long gone.

A warning would be nice for somethings. Say I have a highly eliptical probe at Duna, and then I switch to a Jool mission. Every so often, Ike might pass into the path of my eliptical orbiting probe, and either throw it off course, or destroy it. Had it happen to me before.

Yes, a popup when an on-rails mission crashes would be nice. It's easy to miss the yellow text that goes away after a few seconds, so an actual popup would be great. Twice I've had orbiting craft orbit into Gilly, without knowing until I noticed I had a KIA kerbonaut in the Training Complex

I don't like pop-ups, but I also don't like the 1/2 second (seems like) yellow text that you can't read because UI or mods are in the way.

What I would like to see is a persistent notification screen.  A sort of e-mail like interface where new messages are highlighted and old messages are archived.

9 hours ago, Alshain said:

What I would like to see is a persistent notification screen.  A sort of e-mail like interface where new messages are highlighted and old messages are archived.

So, connect it to the current contract notification system, although that doesn't have archives... yet

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.