Do YOU use mods??

KSP FAN5000

Do you use mods?  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use mods I do :3

• Yes, Always
    • Yes, Sometimes
    • No, Never

A lot of parts mods for a long time, then I got enough of re-updating at each new KSP installations or having to erase all the craft made with and more important, I discovered a LOT of things were possible with the stock parts, even while staying under 120-150 parts. So now apart of graphics like clouds and reentry particles effects no more, plus the Outer Planet Mod and Mike-NZ's Space Shuttle, none.

Was about to forget... MechJeb.

It was just like in aviation, a lot of young people and I learned to fly on old tincans (or wood plus canvas) with every instruments being analog. Then one day someone give me the chance to go onbaord a new carbon-made ultralight with Dynon Skyview inside. I made about ten hours inside fully manual and finally try the autopilot onboard... I wasn't able to divorce of it for the more than 1H navigation... it's a drug, laziness combined to ease.

Nope havent used any yet. It seems to me that most of them either make the game look a little prettier, or let you do what I would consider "cheating" or take away some of the challenge of the game. Calculating delta V for you, autopilot, telling you exactly what science is available to be collected, etc etc.

Mainly, KJR is a staple for me. Otherwise, my rockets would bend like wet spaghetti. Sometimes I use parts packs like SCANSat or KW Rocketry, but those are only sometimes. Usually visual enhancements make my game so laggy it's unplayable, so those are less common.

• 5 months later...

I like to play close to 100% stock in the stock solar system. Maybe transfer window planner. I calculate my own DV and TWR so I never use KER.

But I am currently playing RSS/RO and I think that the stock parts just aren't enough for that. So I am running a heck ton of mods which is a change for me but I am enjoying it.

Fire

I could technically play without mods, but I'd be a lot slower with doing anything. MechJeb makes designing efficient spacecraft so much quicker than if I had to do it without mods. The delta-v displays are a must-have for making things quickly, since without them I'd have to spend excessive amounts of time figuring out delta-v amounts with every slight change (I know you don't technically require knowledge of delta-v amounts, but I like to be efficient and I hate running out of fuel). I can design and test an entire launch vehicle series in just a few hours and know the exact payload range for each variant, but the same task would take me days if I had to do calculations manually.

I also have to play with parts mods. My spacecraft designs just wouldn't look nearly as good without the wide range of parts I have to choose from, and again they'd take more time to finish. I know there are people who can make things look amazing with stock parts (which is often pretty impressive), but I'm impatient so I'd rather not spend half an hour debating which stock parts to clip together for a particular look when I can get an entire mission architecture designed in only six hours with modded parts designed for almost exactly the aesthetic I want (I'm judging this by experience; my Constellation architecture has overall taken me about 6 hours to design in total).

And of course there are planet mods. The stock system is fine, but I'd rather have more places to explore.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.