Devnote Tuesday: 1.2 is getting ever closer!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_od3wwhuNAP1rr2wit_540.jpg

Hello everyone!

Most of you who follow our development closely will not have missed yesterday’s announcement that update 1.2 has officially entered experimental testing, and that we’ll have pre-release test builds coming soon to both Steam and the KSP store! Of course the feedback we got last time around was key in making this decision, and we’re happy that even more of you will be able to participate in testing and hunting down those sometimes elusive bugs!

Entering into experimentals is always a bit of a signature moment for a KSP update: developers flip the switch on the ‘feature lock’, the phase where no new things will be added to the existing codebase and where they really start focusing on bug fixes and polish full-time. Fortunately Jim (Romfarer) managed to quickly add the few final tweaks to the fuel flow overlay before the feature lock went into effect. Since then, the experimental test team has been put to work under the ever watchful eye of Dave (TriggerAu) and our QA testers, Steve (Squelch) and Mathew (sal_vager).

In preparation for the upcoming release the always helpful Rodrigo (Roy) is looking over the Patcher. If things go well you should be able to upgrade from 1.1.3 to 1.2 from the store without downloading the whole game. Good job!

Biomes have been on the list of needing some bugfixing for a very long time: in certain places it was perfectly possible to find a biome that wasn’t supposed to be there. The cause was found in anti-aliased biome maps that caused some weird interpolation issues. Bob (Roverdude) took care of these issues, and also threw in a few new biomes for good measure. Expect new places to visit on especially the larger celestial bodies – and Laythe especially.

Brian (Arsonide) and Bill (Taniwha) worked on improving KerbNet’s wrapping to be based on a view cone rather than wrapping coordinates. This means that your view area grows as you get further from a planet to the point where the planet doesn’t even take up the entire map, and shrinks into a pale blue dot, optionally surrounded in little stars. It also makes it impossible for the map to wrap around to the back side of the planet. Brian then also added some visibility settings that allow the user to fade away the grid overlay and even the target reticle if they want a clearer view of the map itself, and fully merged the older resource narrowband scanner into KerbNet so they are both on the same interface, as you can see.

Not one to be outdone by Brian, Bill (taniwha) then set out to finish some outstanding issues of his own, and managed to make further improvements to KSP’s patched conics: intercepts with inner bodies (such as Mun) no longer block earlier intercepts with bodies further out (such as Minmus), and encounters with a body that was just escaped are now shown, making certain Duna and Eve transfers a little less worrisome. Maybe we should prepare a trip to these rock balls.

CommNet received some more love and attention as well, and Mike (Mu) and Nathanael (NathanKell) are looking forward to showing it off more, and to the various modded uses to which the base code can be put. Nathan (Claw) also took some time this week stressing CommNet and testing out the various visualization modes. What he has dubbed ‘project spiderweb’ is well underway! http://i.imgur.com/o2qI8pI.jpg Additionally, Claw spent time adding a few more quality of life items to the game (such as making quicksaving and -loading work at KSC), and fixing an outstanding bug so that a vessel’s targeting is now properly restored upon quickload and when switching vessels: No more losing track of that targeted docking port when approaching your space station, hurray!

Switching gears from the PC update to the console patch, we’re testing the builds Flying Tiger is sending us for both the Xbox One and PS4 patches. We have tested near 20 builds so far but the problems are not completely solved just yet. We are giving them as much feedback as possible and testing as much as we can so they can find the solution to the remaining issues. The Xbox One patch is the closer of the two when it comes to being ready for release, but it’s not quite there yet. We won’t stop until these ports are perfect, hang in there!

Furthermore, Nestor has some exciting news about the engine parts Chris was working on previously. If you haven’t seen these parts, well… they look awesome! Unfortunately, these parts didn’t make it to this release, but we know you are excited about them and the good news is that we will be releasing these files for you to add them to your creative inventory. Go nuts and show us what parts you can build with these great 3d assets!

Finally we hope that everyone we met at the UNAM event in Mexico last week had as great a time as we did: Alejandro held a talk, and together with Daniele (uomocapra) and Andrea (Badie), we were able to ignite  the curiosity and interest of young and promising students towards space exploration and the KSP universe. Daniele is also been gathering ideas to revitalize our official Twitch Channel (KSPTV). Several livestreamers gave us some helpful feedback, and we’re looking into the viability of some of these. With any luck we’ll see some great content in the near future!

Mathew (sal_vager) is back with a poem this week, and we think it was maybe inspired by ‘Joliet Jake’ and Elwood:

Testing testing testing

Fingers are aching

Regression and soak testing

Raw eyes

With craft from ‘Loo to Moho

New commits break my mojo

Hot cup of tea by my side

Raw eyes!

That’s it for this week! Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. The KSP subreddit is also a great place to hang out and discuss the upcoming update!

Happy launchings dear Kerbonauts!

30 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

In preparation for the upcoming release the always helpful Rodrigo (Roy) is looking over the Patcher. If things go well you should be able to upgrade from 1.1.3 to 1.2 from the store without downloading the whole game. Good job!

I have the game on Steam now, but I still think this is wonderful. As a used-to-be-store-only user, I thank you for putting the time and resources into getting this to work. It's this kind of dedication to your fans that makes KSP great.

The cause was found in anti-aliased biome maps that caused some weird interpolation issues.

I kept saying this was fixable and was told it wasn't. I'm so happy to be right that it has finally been fixed.

intercepts with inner bodies (such as Mun) no longer block earlier intercepts with bodies further out (such as Minmus)

YAY (Read "Y to the AY")

‘project spiderweb’

Or as RemoteTech users call it, "Almost got my relay network set up."

Edited by 5thHorseman

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

Furthermore, Nestor has some exciting news about the engine parts Chris was working on previously. If you haven’t seen these parts, well… they look awesome! Unfortunately, these parts didn’t make it to this release, but we know you are excited about them and the good news is that we will be releasing these files for you to add them to your creative inventory. Go nuts and show us what you can build with these great parts!

Pics or it didn't happen!!

But seriously, telling us how sweet the parts are, then not showing them... it's a bit of a tease no? I am curious as to the meaning of releasing the parts outside of the main release. Does that mean that it will be treated like an unofficial mod like asteroid day but will replace the stock models? I'm hoping it would only be like this until next release when they will be stock...

Other than that, can't wait for 1.2, it looks great! :)

Edited by Justicier

10 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

So wait, you're releasing the models for the engines to the modding community instead of as parts for the game? Does that mean that the parts will never be put in stock? Can we see pictures of these models?

I cannot speak to future plans. I can say that the models and textures will be released such that modders can make any desired changes, run them through PartTools, and set up cfgs for them.

26 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

I cannot speak to future plans. I can say that the models and textures will be released such that modders can make any desired changes, run them through PartTools, and set up cfgs for them.

It's quite surprising to see things like this planned for months with no real future plans... or Squad's plans are in a strongbox?

Edited by Malah

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

Furthermore, Nestor has some exciting news about the engine parts Chris was working on previously. If you haven’t seen these parts, well… they look awesome! Unfortunately, these parts didn’t make it to this release, but we know you are excited about them and the good news is that we will be releasing these files for you to add them to your creative inventory. Go nuts and show us what parts you can build with these great 3d assets!

Parts that Chris was working on previously?  Is he not working with the team anymore? 

I don't fully understand that, if it didn't make it into this version why not just plan it for the next?  This is a really baffling action.

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

Testing testing testing

Fingers are aching

Regression and soak testing

Raw eyes

With craft from ‘Loo to Moho

New commits break my mojo

Hot cup of tea by my side

Raw eyes!

No need to understand them
Just stack'em, launch'em, land'em
Soon we'll be living in the sky

Raw eyes!

Nice notes. Glad to finally hear about PorkJet's RPR, and moving into experimentals. Hopefully it won't be long until I have Raw Eyes!

Asking without have done my due diligence in reading the other questions and comments, as it is very late, these ponderings come upon me :

Brian (Arsonide) and Bill (Taniwha) worked on improving KerbNet’s wrapping to be based on a view cone rather than wrapping coordinates. This means that your view area grows as you get further from a planet to the point where the planet doesn’t even take up the entire map, and shrinks into a pale blue dot, optionally surrounded in little stars. It also makes it impossible for the map to wrap around to the back side of the planet. 

I have to admit I am confused by this. What exactly is changing?

What he has dubbed ‘project spiderweb’ is well underway! http://i.imgur.com/o2qI8pI.jpg

Holy frijole Batman! I assume some sort of filtering of comm connections is included? 

9 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

some companies love keeping unnecessary secrets

You mean some customers love learning unnecessary things about companies they buy products from.

Yes, this is one of those times.

Obviously something changed. Someone does not want the general population to know. We should respect that.

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:
Furthermore, Nestor has some exciting news about the engine parts Chris was working on previously. If you haven’t seen these parts, well… they look awesome!  

Now I really want to see them because I'm hyped:D 

too sad they didn't make it into 1.2 

7 minutes ago, patrioticparadox said:

I have to admit I am confused by this. What exactly is changing?

I think previous versions were using some kind of rectangular projection; the surface of the planet was mapped onto a flat area. This can cause lots of stretching and wrapping near the poles (think of rectangular or Mercator projection maps).

This version looks like it's mapping the surface onto a circle with its center at the vessel location. When you zoom out all the way (and it sounds like the max zoom distance is determined by how high the vessel is) the planet is a circle, when you zoom in that projection is maintained, just at a larger scale.

1 minute ago, DMagic said:

When you zoom out all the way (and it sounds like the max zoom distance is determined by how high the vessel is) the planet is a circle, when you zoom in that projection is maintained, just at a larger scale.

But the comment is referring to fixing a bug that was internal to KerbNet that we (or at least I) was not yet aware of? The image shown in the gif shows "KerbNet Access". Therein lies my confusion.

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

personally i do not like this. it makes it sound like new parts will require mods to be used. do not like this at all. <grumbles>

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.