Squadcast September 8th: 1.2 Experimentals Unveiled!

AlphaMensae

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Really? Wow that's a big change. So if I'm reading this right in LKO it's going to be pretty easy to lose sight of a ground station, especially as your orbit gets more polar.

If I ever have time, I may watch this one. Like in the old days.

Yes, makes me wonder how communication would work on the ground on Kerbin, will it require an satellite overhead or line of sight with the station?

53 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Yes, makes me wonder how communication would work on the ground on Kerbin, will it require an satellite overhead or line of sight with the station?

I think it will be OK. Nathan said that it goes through kerbin so you don't lose Los behind a hill. At one point I noticed the signal line cutting through about a quarter of the planet

Just now, severedsolo said:

I think it will be OK. Nathan said that it goes through kerbin so you don't lose Los behind a hill. At one point I noticed the signal line cutting through about a quarter of the planet

Ok so it looks like flying or low orbit would be pretty safe and this is more to not point signal to center of Kerbin. 
One effect of this will be that all the satellite contracts will have dual use. 

8 hours ago, Alshain said:

I see an Auto-Hide NavBall on map in the settings!  1 less mod I need to have.

Ooooh!

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Also Kerbal Experience applying immediately. Yet another unneeded mod :)

Aaaahh!!

9 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Wow. It looks amazing! And I saw in the difficulty screenshot it said part upgrades. Makes me start thinking...

Whooa.

7 hours ago, NathanKell said:

1. We have no plans at the moment to make use of upgrades. That is for modding support.

Oh, oky then. But really, this update seems awesome to me. Lots of quality of life additions I've been waiting for for some time :D 

I was thinking the 'part upgrades' was referring to giving all probe cores full SAS ability and full kerbnet ability.

It will be nice to have field experience in stock, especially if it lets me check which kerbs have/need which activities on which bodies in the astronaut complex(for example, checking to see if I forgot to plant a flag with anyone while landed on Duna *before* I take off)

Camera Focus is something that will be an immense help in running science experiments, especially on the launch pad(collecting data for the science lab, even if I can't load it before launch)

17 minutes ago, Terwin said:

I was thinking the 'part upgrades' was referring to giving all probe cores full SAS ability and full kerbnet ability.

Full SAS functionality, that's kind of lame, what point in using a hecs instead of an okto now?

Full kerbnet, there wouldn't be much point having a probe without it now.

Can we make a tracking station in other planet?

I remember that in RT, Kerbin-Jool communication have high delay.

If we already colonize our 2nd home-Laythe, why don't make a tracking station to take over Jool-system space traffic?

9 hours ago, NathanKell said:

2. Who said there were only three tracking stations? I only mentioned two stations' names on-stream, but I did not say how many there were. That's for you to find out.

Good to know!  Thanks for the clarification.

12 hours ago, Kerbart said:

It's fake. If you look at the screen shots you will see orbit lines. Orbits. Them ain't Squad members. They can't orbit if their life depends on it...

Oh, but you don't know yet! KSP 1.2 has an orbit editor like Hyperedit built in! Now an orbit is just Alt-F12 and a couple clicks away!

9 hours ago, NathanKell said:

2. Who said there were only three tracking stations? I only mentioned two stations' names on-stream, but I did not say how many there were. That's for you to find out.

Although if  there are too many, the effort of making tracking stations will be nullified by effectively making Kerbin one big tracking station (as the original plan was). But I'm sure all will be revealed with the 1.2 release and it'll turn out to be great!

1 hour ago, royying said:

Can we make a tracking station in other planet?

I remember that in RT, Kerbin-Jool communication have high delay.

If we already colonize our 2nd home-Laythe, why don't make a tracking station to take over Jool-system space traffic?

I think in remotetech it basically works this way: If you got a probe on mars that is connected to a manned space station on mars, then you'll get insta-access. I assume KSP will do it the same way?

21 minutes ago, Temeter said:

I think in remotetech it basically works this way: If you got a probe on mars that is connected to a manned space station on mars, then you'll get insta-access. I assume KSP will do it the same way?

Last I heard, if you can connect to a vessel that has pilot+probe-core, then you can have full control, if not, then you are limited in things such as: only 0% or 100% throttle, limited SAS/turning options 

24 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Last I heard, if you can connect to a vessel that has pilot+probe-core, then you can have full control, if not, then you are limited in things such as: only 0% or 100% throttle, limited SAS/turning options 

Almost like real satellites :^)

@royying So basically, a space station (or ground base) and some satellites for full planet coverage (assuming planets block signals) will be your alien communications outpost. Very nice, as it should be. Also gives more reason for space stations and outposts.

Edited by Temeter

9 hours ago, eddiew said:

Thanks for the synopsis @Laguna :)

Focus changer, yes... I love that mod, but it does do some funny things to EVAing kerbals (like not focus them). Hopefully the stock version will handle this.

Still don't know how I feel about CommNet... but I notice the option to require signal for control. I'm ok with needing signal for science transfer, I just don't like being dead in the water and unable to execute burns because of planetary shadows :) 

You're welcome. :)  As has been explained elsewhere, probes won't be bricked if the signal is lost, you'll still have partial control over them, things like engines only off or full-thrust and such.  This isn't Remote Tech. :)

@NathanKell, thank you for clarifying the number of ground stations.  I guess in my excitement over that reveal I just automatically assumed there would be just three, like the analog to NASA's Deep Space Network that I wanted CommNet to be like. :)

8 hours ago, severedsolo said:

They said that the line going through the planet like that represents the signal bouncing off the atmosphere, extending the range.

===================

I didn't notice the settings for "Enable Kerbal Experience" and "Kerbals Level Up Immediately" during the stream.  Is that really Field Experience in stock? :)

Wait a minute?!??  Look at the screenshot of the settings in the original post, especially the upper right.

"[X] Show Wrong Vessel Type On Launch Confirmation"

W. T. F? Seriously? Is this a dev in-joke of some kind?

Nobody else thinks this is strange?

Totally unconnected: Coke really does hurt when it comes out the nose. Maybe I should switch to Pepsi.

Wow. I learned something that I didn't know about the Shuttle ET. The LOX & LH2 tanks are swapped from normal practice, to keep the center of gravity in the right place during ascent. KSP keeps on teachin' me about ze roketz!

On 9.9.2016 at 10:43 PM, Laguna said:

You're welcome. :)  As has been explained elsewhere, probes won't be bricked if the signal is lost, you'll still have partial control over them, things like engines only off or full-thrust and such.  This isn't Remote Tech. :)

As I understand this was an setting under options. 
Now this raises an issue then putting an satellite in orbit around Mun as the circulation burn will be on the backside. 
As i use mechjeb I assume it will be updated so it will do burns then told to even if out of communication, you would however be locked out here so if something goes wrong it will do the burn and you can not abort. 

On 08/09/2016 at 11:01 PM, Laguna said:
On 08/09/2016 at 11:01 PM, Laguna said:
Spoiler

CommNet has changed, no longer is all of Kerbin an antenna (seriously? ), thanks to @Mu there are now three equidistant ground stations on Kerbin--actual objects too:

actual objects too

New Buildings!!!

When 1.2 comes, i'll be ready to find them.

(sorry, bit of a format error)

Edited by quasarrgames

• 9 months later...
On 2016-9-13 at 8:15 AM, GeneCash said:

Wait a minute?!??  Look at the screenshot of the settings in the original post, especially the upper right.

"[X] Show Wrong Vessel Type On Launch Confirmation"

W. T. F? Seriously? Is this a dev in-joke of some kind?

Did you discover what this is about?

A search on google only return your comment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.