[1.12.x] End your parts list nightmare - Introducing The Janitor's Closet

linuxgurugamer

A mod I've been missing for a couple of years now used to have a feature similar to this, except that instead of hiding on a part by part basis, you could easily toggle entire folders on and off. Filter Extensions doesn't really help if you have obscene amounts of parts in every category. This was the mod -

and Felbourne stopped maintaining it two or three years ago. Could something like the folder toggle be added to this? I would WORSHIP you.

@linuxgurugamer is possible to set tech node = start on a part that is hidden? 

The logic goes that this would also remove it from the normal tech tree position into start node. Since this is already unlocked at the start of the game, people don't tend look inside it. This means that as the game unfolds a part that part is hidden in the VAB can no longer be found on a later node of the tech tree and does not clutter it up. it also is not available for purchase later on if unlock costs are being used. Any thought on this?

On 11/22/2016 at 4:02 PM, TheUnamusedFox said:

A mod I've been missing for a couple of years now used to have a feature similar to this, except that instead of hiding on a part by part basis, you could easily toggle entire folders on and off. Filter Extensions doesn't really help if you have obscene amounts of parts in every category. This was the mod -

and Felbourne stopped maintaining it two or three years ago. Could something like the folder toggle be added to this? I would WORSHIP you.

New release:  0.1.4

• Added option to filter by mods
On 11/22/2016 at 7:31 PM, nobodyhasthis2 said:

@linuxgurugamer is possible to set tech node = start on a part that is hidden? 

The logic goes that this would also remove it from the normal tech tree position into start node. Since this is already unlocked at the start of the game, people don't tend look inside it. This means that as the game unfolds a part that part is hidden in the VAB can no longer be found on a later node of the tech tree and does not clutter it up. it also is not available for purchase later on if unlock costs are being used. Any thought on this?

Not really, that's outside the scope of this mod.

It's an idea, please open an issue on Github, I might do it later

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release:  0.1.4

• Added option to filter by mods

Not really, that's outside the scope of this mod.

It's an idea, please open an issue on Github, I might do it later

Oh god thank you, thank you, thank you! There are no words! With the sheer amount of time spent part hunting you've just saved me, maybe I'll be able to leave the editors and actually play the game :P

Edit- OH GOD I BUILT A ROCKET IN FIVE MINUTES! Thank you so much :0.0::confused::D

Edited by TheUnamusedFox
edit.

Suggestion:  When pruning a part config, only models and textures within the same Gamedata subfolder should get pruned with it.

I pruned a mod part (the SXT Alouette probe, I think) that apparently utilizes the stock fixed solar panel art assets, and it pruned the stock fixed solar panel too.  After the next restart, a lot of my craft couldn't load.  (I noped right out of there with Alt-F4, checked the RenamedFiles.dat to see what was going on, and manually fixed the problem.)

Edited by RoboRay

3 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

Suggestion:  When pruning a part config, only models and textures within the same Gamedata subfolder should get pruned with it.

I pruned a mod part (the SXT Alouette probe, I think) that apparently utilizes the stock fixed solar panel art assets, and it pruned the stock fixed solar panel too.  After the next restart, a lot of my craft couldn't load.  (I noped right out of there with Alt-F4, renamed the solar panel assets and edited the RenamedFiles.dat.)

It's not supposed to do that.  Which mod pack is that probe from?

It does a lot of checks looking for anything else which uses files before pruning, so it looks like a case was missed here.  That being said, this is why I'm not a huge fan of the PermaPrune option, because no matter what I do, there will always be something else.

For example, let's say that I follow your suggestion.  So I prune a part and it's art  assets. But there is another part, in another mod entirely, which uses those assets, and following your suggestion would break this example.

It's a slippery slope, I can only do what I can.

Please provide as much detail as you can.

Thanks

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

It's not supposed to do that.  Which mod pack is that probe from?

It does a lot of checks looking for anything else which uses files before pruning, so it looks like a case was missed here.  That being said, this is why I'm not a huge fan of the PermaPrune option, because no matter what I do, there will always be something else.

For example, let's say that I follow your suggestion.  So I prune a part and it's art  assets. But there is another part, in another mod entirely, which uses those assets, and following your suggestion would break this example.

It's a slippery slope, I can only do what I can.

Please provide as much detail as you can.

Thanks

I was just reading back through the thread and saw where you are already trying to prevent this from happening.

I've got your Lack's SXT Continued v0.3.3 going, and wanted to remove a few parts that I will never use, like the Alouette probe pod (it's called the "Warbler" in-game, but the config file is alouette.cfg).  It seems that after pruning that part from the VAB, the Squad "solarpanel5" model also got renamed and included in the RenamedFiles.dat.

I don't actually need PermaPrune for saving memory or load-time, but the parts I had simply hidden kept showing up in Test Contracts.  I don't really care if the parts are still loading...  I just don't want them to exist in my game.  Actually, hiding them from the Contract system might make more sense than my previous suggestion.  :)

Just now, RoboRay said:

I was just reading back through the thread and saw where you are already trying to prevent this from happening.

I've got your Lack's SXT Continued v0.3.3 going, and wanted to remove a few parts that I will never use, like the Alouette probe pod (it's called the "Warbler" in-game, but the config file is alouette.cfg).  It seems that after pruning that part from the VAB, the Squad "solarpanel5" model also got renamed and included in the RenamedFiles.dat.

I don't actually need PermaPrune for saving memory or load-time, but the parts I had simply hidden kept showing up in Test Contracts.  I don't really care if the parts are still loading...  I just don't want them to exist in my game.  Actually, hiding them from the Contract system might make more sense than my previous suggestion.  :)

I've been able to reproduce your issue.

This mod isn't intended to interface with the contract system.  That is actually the first reason I've heard which makes sense to PermaPrune.

It's going to take a little time to figure this out.

OK.  Loving the mod, by the way.  I used to spend ridiculous amounts of time sorting through mods trying to cull parts manually.  Which isn't hard for small packs that are well organized, but it's a real pain for stuff where things are filed rather, erm, randomly like in SXT. :P

Being able to select them right from the VAB list is enormously beneficial to my sanity.  :)

New release 0.1.6:

• Fixed problem with model usage not being detected.
  • Replaced messy code with better identifiation of model & mesh files

11 hours ago, RoboRay said:

OK.  Loving the mod, by the way.  I used to spend ridiculous amounts of time sorting through mods trying to cull parts manually.  Which isn't hard for small packs that are well organized, but it's a real pain for stuff where things are filed rather, erm, randomly like in SXT.

Speaking of SXT, if you can suggest better organization of the parts, please let me know, since I also maintain that

35 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Speaking of SXT, if you can suggest better organization of the parts, please let me know, since I also maintain that

Oh, I know... was just joking about the mess you inherited.  :) 

It's not a problem for me anymore because with this mod I don't need to dig around in those folders.

But, if you think it would be helpful to have those folders reorganized (so things like fuselage adapters and fuel tanks wouldn't be located under Aviation/Command, for instance) I'd be willing to contribute some spare time.  Let me dig around to see what all needs doing and I'll get back to you in the SXT Continued thread.

1 hour ago, Jiraiyah said:

@linuxgurugamer

sir, after installing of latest release i have this

http://prntscr.com/dcp9hv

the window is too small and not resizable?

Log file please.

I just installed (as a test) the latest version available through CKAN, and this is what I see:

http://imgur.com/a/R3H3D

that looks like an older version, but I need to see your log file to know exactly what's going on

first, I tried it in a stock installation and everything was ok, but when i use it my heavily modded version the result is the same as what i gave you,

here is the report, I am sure there are tons of exceptions and errors in it but they are harmless because the game is working.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ssa7dca82ghh2e3/output_log.txt?dl=0

5 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

first, I tried it in a stock installation and everything was ok, but when i use it my heavily modded version the result is the same as what i gave you,

here is the report, I am sure there are tons of exceptions and errors in it but they are harmless because the game is working.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ssa7dca82ghh2e3/output_log.txt?dl=0

How heavy is "heavily"?  How many mods?

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

How heavy is "heavily"?  How many mods?

oh as many as updated for 1.2.1 :D and some that didn't update after 1.2 and still works in 1.2.1 :P but there is a problem with my RCS not getting activated and I am pulling out/In some mods to figure which one is the reason so some of the mods are not there but the problem on your mod is still visible, also, the moment i go into VAB and put any root part, your filter window pops up !