adjustable landing gear

DrLicor

Hey guys,

anyone who can fix the adjustable landing gear mod from BahamutoD for ksp 1.1.3

I understand he has no time for it and waits for a good wheel mechanics fix.

Dont know if there are any experienced modder out here who wants to give his time for this mod.

The main problem is that if it touches the ground it clips or bounches the like he is seeing the kraken himself.

In my opinion the stock landing gear is still a bit a pain in the ass...

edit:

What a moderator said:

'The author has indicated that the mod wouldn't be updated until Squad is finished with wheel fixes, I think the idea is to avoid having to update them for the currrent version and then having to update them again after fixes are applied.

These parts are a bit more complex than the typical wheel parts, given their procedural nature. I think it's understandable that they require a bit more work than most wheel parts.'

and this is what another forummember said:

guys! i got a build for 1.1.2 for all of you guys. :)

Main Download : link (not working as intended) fixing it...

Sourcery : link

Enjoy! if you want me to take it down. just tell me.

EDIT: after a look around.. i cannot find a solution to the wheels sinking into the ground. baha could use this as a base though.

EDIT 2 : after some after thought.. someone will need to use unity to update the wheel colliders.

Edited by DrLicor

I doubt @BahamutoD would like people messing with his mod. I'm pretty sure once 1.2 drops and wheels are fixed he will update this.
I also doubt any experienced modder would be willing to waste his/her time in a futile attempt to fix Squads cock-up. Spending hours on this trying to figure it out is a pure waste as the 1.2 pre-release is just a few weeks away.

Edited by Tex_NL

@Tex_NL

Ah get it, though I was up-to-date but didn't knew about the pre-release.

In that case I totally understand.

But on the profile of BahamutoD was also a message for modders, that due lack of time he can't update al the mods, and if a modder was interested, he could get the license. (or something like that)

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Hi all as with all BD's mods, those that have not been taken up by other people have been collected together by @Papa_Joe (top man) and will be restored hopefully  to full working order as soon as 1.2 has been around for a week or two. There is no real point even bothering before then as the 1.2 changes will break and repairs all over again.

This topic is brought up in the BDAc (BD armory continued) thread all the time , and my answer is always the same, if you fancy endless hours of frustration, followed by days of futility shortly followed by the realization that you've just wasted over a week because everything you did has been broken by 1.2 go ahead, especially if you can magic some raw assets to work from.

The killer about looking after BD mods, is that we are starting from a bad place, even before you think about fixing the wheels, you will have to export all the part models to blender, then into unity once you've removed all the added renumbered and rotated transforms, completely rework the hierarchy as it's very different .1.1.3 from the hierarchy of pre 1 wheels and hope that PJ can make it all play nice with the code,  nothing is guaranteed.

Without the raw assets what you get after the rebuild will not be the same thing, it will resemble, but not be the parts you were looking for. Lots of work for little if any reward is not may idea of fun ( the best  reward being that it works properly and doesn't give any bother)

SO go on in do it, feel free.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

58 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi all as with all BD's mods, those that have not been taken up by other people have been collected together by @Papa_Joe (top man) and will be restored hopefully  to full working order as soon as 1.2 has been around for a week or two. There is no real point even bothering before then as the 1.2 changes will break and repairs all over again.

This topic is brought up in the BDAc (BD armory continued) thread all the time , and my answer is always the same, if you fancy endless hours of frustration, followed by days of futility shortly followed by the realization that you've just wasted over a week because everything you did has been broken by 1.2 go ahead, especially if you can magic some raw assets to work from.

The killer about looking after BD mods, is that we are starting from a bad place, even before you think about fixing the wheels, you will have to export all the part models to blender, then into unity once you've removed all the added renumbered and rotated transforms, completely rework the hierarchy as it's very different .1.1.3 from the hierarchy of pre 1 wheels and hope that PJ can make it all play nice with the code,  nothing is guaranteed.

Without the raw assets what you get after the rebuild will not be the same thing, it will resemble, but not be the parts you were looking for. Lots of work for little if any reward is not may idea of fun ( the best  reward being that it works properly and doesn't give any bother)

SO go on in do it, feel free.

I suspect that given the issue was with unity, that we might dodge a bullet and not need to touch the colliders.

Of course I could be wrong, but I will find out when 1.2 is made available to modders.

It is my hope that at worst, we may need to tweak some config settings.  This is based on reading the dev notes when the issue of wheels came up.

I just wanted to clear something up.   My earlier statement would seem to be in error.  @SpannerMonkey(smce)  was kind enough to educate me on the issues relating to the landing gear.   I will be the first to admit my ignorance of models and the issues related to them.  After reviewing his information, I must stand with him on this.  I fear there will be a fair amount of work (and learning on my part) to get ALS "up to snuff".

My apologies @SpannerMonkey(smce), for my thinking that it would be "simple" :) .

8 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

I doubt @BahamutoD would like people messing with his mod. I'm pretty sure once 1.2 drops and wheels are fixed he will update this.

We at the BDAc group have permission to continue the development and upkeep of this mod as it was handed over to @Papa_Joe by Baha and Papa decided to form a team to continue with the development and upkeep due to the complexity of what Baha had created ... I hope this clarifies the situation

See below ....................

8 hours ago, DrLicor said:

But on the profile of BahamutoD was also a message for modders, that due lack of time he can't update al the mods, and if a modder was interested, he could get the license. (or something like that)

5 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

Yes, he posted he had too much going on to work on KSP mods for the forseeable future, I don't remember exactly which thread it was.

9 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

We at the BDAc group have permission to continue the development and upkeep of this mod as it was handed over to @Papa_Joe by Baha and Papa decided to form a team to continue with the development and upkeep due to the complexity of what Baha had created ... I hope this clarifies the situation

See below ....................

The exact post is linked in the OP, in case anyone is interested.  I'll link it here for ease of finding it. He has not logged in since August 7th.   He is not looking back folks...  Also as a fine point, He did not give me explicit permission.  He gave anyone permission.  I sent him a PM explicitly to obtain permission before taking over that has been unanswered, as he has not returned to look.

Edited by Papa_Joe

Ahh indeed, everything is clear now.

I'm happy about the fact that there's taken care of his work and hope that after 1.2 release the wheels could get fixed.

It was just that I didn't hear a lot about it.

It would be too bad if this glorious piece of work got killed forever by the 1.1.x 

It won't die - I was prepared to write a new mod from scratch because it's so useful, fortunately we won't need to ( although we might have to modifiy code to add features people have been begging for ). Even if we have to make new models from scratch, it's not the end of the world - they're only wheels.

Must admit to having lost some interest in BDA recently, although I was only ever really interested in the dogfight AI - however I did notice a bunch of logic issues ( I raised one on Github) , I will try and dig up my notes.

15 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

We at the BDAc group have permission to continue the development and upkeep of this mod ...

I was not aware how and why Bahamuto was MIA. Nor was I aware you had his blessing to maintain and update his work. But I am glad you do. Bahamuto has done some amazing work and I hate to see it die.

But the rest of my statement still stands. Spending time on it before 1.2 drops would be a waste.

• 4 weeks later...

KSP uses a wheel library from somewhere - any simulation ( I can't think of a proper racing sim using Unity, mind ) is going to have it's own wheel code given how much of the sim that is.

A wheel mod which uses it's own wheel code would not be a waste of time IMO :P

5 hours ago, Van Disaster said:

A wheel mod which uses it's own wheel code would not be a waste of time IMO

If a modder can write his/her own wheel code that is superior to the poor excuse we have now, why can't Squad?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 7:28 PM, DirkLarien said:

any news guys ?

Essentially no, no news

As it stands, none of us have the original models which makes it extremely difficult to get ALG working, just like it would be difficult to repair a punctured bicycle tire without a repair kit or a new tube ... ALG will need to be created from scratch at worst or at best by an extremely convoluted mess of reverse engineering each part through 2 or 3 different programs in succession just to get the parts configured properly then reimporting them back into Unity to start the actual work of getting them to work in game

There have been whispers of a recreation project for ALG by other modders in the community, however it is in its infancy and I wouldn't expect anything to come of it in the immediate future 

That is all ......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.