My SciFi/Fantasy novel idea list

Spaceception

Legend: WIP: Writing in progress. DS: developing story, WBWS: will be writing soon. WBWFW: Won't be writing for a while. VED: Very early development

Infinitum: Well, it's in my sig, so just go there. WIP

The Children between worlds: It's also in my sig. WIP.

Genesis Plot: Mars is being colonized, with Terraforming in the works, but after a cave expedition, life, biologically similar to Earth life is found... Yet the life is older by hundreds of millions of years, trashing everything we thought we knew about the origins of life on Earth.
Back on Earth, special interest groups are calling for the colonists to abandon the Terraforming, and to an extreme extent, to return the colonists to Earth, and stop the colonization of Mars entirely. In an interplanetary argument that may decide the future of humanity on Mars, and perhaps, the native life on Mars as well, who will prevail? DS: WBWFW.

The Time Sleeper: In the year 2051, Prof. Collins, a brilliant physicist and engineer builds a Cyropod that allows him to stay in stasis for a hundred years without aging. After boosting into orbit, he steps inside, and locks himself away for a century, where he wakes up in 2152.
Expecting fame and glory when he wakes, he is shocked to find out humanity has nearly wiped itself out. Desperate for supplies, he lands on the surface, and finds himself a prized slave to ruthless dictators who are willing to kill anyone without remorse.
With no way of traveling in the past, and the remnants of humanity on the edge of another war, which could wipe them out for good, he must rise a rebellion against them.
Or risk nuclear annihilation. WBWS DS

The light side of the Moon Plot: What if Kennedy survived being shot in 1963? Before J.F.K. was assassinated, he proposed doing a joint US Soviet Moon landing, what if it happened? Unfortunately, because the Soviet prime minister didn't trust the new President Johnson, the plan never got off the ground, but how would the world have changed if Soviets and Americans shook hands on the Moon together? WBWFW VED

The legend of Acworth Very basic plot (Since this is based off a video game idea I had a few years back): A warlock is out for vengeance after his bother is accused of witchcraft, and burned at the stake to protect him, but he was innocent. So the warlock goes on a mission to end the witch trails, and make the people who killed his brother pay for what they did. WBWFW VED

I'll post more ideas here as I get them, there's a few more, but I don't have time to put them here :)

What do you guys think?

Edited by Spaceception
I'm probably going to be writing TVTT after Infinitum and TCBW

13 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

So many great ideas... I'm jealous!

I have 2 more, but I need to work on them way more before I put them here (All novel ideas posted here will eventually be written) one is an Alien invasion story, but it feels too much like ID and Ender's game had a baby, and I don't know how I'll write a novel 10s of trillions of years into the future when the universe is dying.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. :) 

Edited by Spaceception

2 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

Because working on so many ideas at once has hindered all productivity in the past for me, I would recommend that you focus on TCBW and The Void.

Anyways, just a suggestion. You do you!

I mean, that after I've finished writing them, which one should I write next?

• 1 month later...

I have an idea for an alternate history scifi novel set in the mid 50s to present and explores a possible history where the United States becomes first in space before '57s Sputnik, and Project Orion gets picked up as a small project, which quickly overtakes Apollo. The novel not only will explore how the astronauts felt during 'The great expansion' (What I'm calling the era when humanity rapidly begins colonizing the solar system) but society as a whole as technological progress quickly accelerates, and we begin exploring the stars.

What do you guys think? There aren't any novels like that, are there?

Also, as you can tell, I like alternate histories related to space exploration :)

Edited by Spaceception

39 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I have an idea for an alternate history scifi novel set in the mid 50s to present and explores a possible history where the United States becomes first in space before '57s Sputnik, and Project Orion gets picked up as a small project, which quickly overtakes Apollo. The novel not only will explore how the astronauts felt during 'The great expansion' (What I'm calling the era when humanity rapidly begins colonizing the solar system) but society as a whole as technological progress quickly accelerates, and we begin exploring the stars.

What do you guys think? There aren't any novels like that, are there?

Also, as you can tell, I like alternate histories related to space exploration :)

Might be a good idea to do one where the US went with von Braun's 1952 plan...

1 minute ago, Bill Phil said:

Might be a good idea to do one where the US went with von Braun's 1952 plan...

The Orion project could very much help with that.

Also, when do you think the US could've gotten into space if the army didn't restrict von Braun? I know it was sometime in the fifties.

Just now, Spaceception said:

The Orion project could very much help with that.

Also, when do you think the US could've gotten into space if the army didn't restrict von Braun? I know it was sometime in the fifties.

I mean using von Braun's ferry rocket design and the station as they were described in Collier's magazine (the artwork was pretty unrealistic though...)

Depends. Von Braun had the Juno I design in 56, two years before it launched Explorer 1. It was basically a Jupiter-C with an extra stage. And Jupiter-C first flew in 56.

4 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

I mean using von Braun's ferry rocket design and the station as they were described in Collier's magazine (the artwork was pretty unrealistic though...)

I might incorporate parts of it in the novel, maybe making it a Congress oriented project, but getting improved and replaced with Orion instead.

I don't think I'll write many books written in the same timeline to present with similar topics, but I do like the idea of writing at least a couple.

Edited by Spaceception

1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

I might incorporate parts of it in the novel, maybe making it a Congress oriented project, but getting improved and replaced with Orion instead.

I don't think I'll write many books written in the same timeline to present with similar topics, but I do like the idea of writing at least a couple.

I'm talking about a different book entirely, really. Although I think that a collection of short stories might be better in some cases. It's your universe, though.

3 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

I'm talking about a different book entirely, really. Although I think that a collection of short stories might be better in some cases. It's your universe, though.

Oh... When I googled 'von Braun's 1952 plan' the first thing that popped up was 'The Mars project'. :P

But still, I'll only write 3, maybe 4, alternate history novels taking place during the space race.

Just now, Spaceception said:

Oh... When I googled 'von Braun's 1952 plan' the first thing that popped up was 'The Mars project'. :P

But still, I'll only write 3, maybe 4, alternate history novels taking place during the space race.

"The Mars Project" is a technical description of a Mars mission architecture. Not really a story.

Write as many novels as you feel comfortable doing.

• 3 months later...

OKAY! Idea!

This is for an antihero novel, I guess it could be sci-fi in some respects, but basically, it'd follow a vigilante who figures out how to give himself the ability to control people (Like Imperio in Harry Potter) and uses it to stop crime in his city, in rash and sometimes cruel ways, other than that, he's pretty normal, and is just extremely skilled in hand to hand, as well as gymnastics.

He also implants a device that takes control of his body so in situations where emotion can hinder his abilities, it shuts off some of them like compassion, and he basically gets an artificial alternate personality that will do anything to stop crime, including murder.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Spaceception

2 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Intriguing. Could get a bit dark. Especially if that "device" gets some self-preservation behaviors.

Yeah... It kinda will be.

Hmm, interesting, I haven't fleshed out the powers yet, since I'm not going to write it at this time, but that's not a bad idea, maybe I could implement it in some way.

In honor of TRAPPIST-1, here's a short story I wrote, in a few months, this may be turned into a novel series :)

Spoiler

On the outskirts of a spiral galaxy, lies a young star, just on the line of a star, and failed star.

And around that star, orbits seven unique planets.

Hundreds of millions of years ago, a disk of gas and dust collapsed into an ultracool star, where a planetary disk settled into a flattened shape. Dust collided and formed clumps, while proto-planets began to form.

These planets collided with one another, sometimes getting destroyed, orbiting far away from the star, after millions of years, they began to migrate, and settle into more stable orbits.

The innermost world orbited extremely closely, and had an orbital period of one in a half days, it became a hellish world, with lakes of lava on its solar point, and a thin atmosphere constantly being stripped away by the stellar winds. It did not rotate, and there was no magnetic field due to its core being so small.

The second planet out also orbited extremely closely and had a slightly thicker atmosphere. There was a strong magnetic field and brilliant aurora constantly brightened the surface. It was also tidally locked and orbited in almost two in a half days. Its temperature was just below boiling temperature, and there was a small ice cap on the farside of the planet. The sky looked orange from the surface, and the other planets could easily be seen in the dim red light of the star.

The third planet away from the star was remarkable, it orbited its star in just over four days, had a reasonable magnetic field, and boasted a thick atmosphere. The daytime solar point was a blistering desert that had a raging hurricane, while the anti-solar point had a massive ice cap that reached the terminator. But on the terminator, there was complex marine life, thriving under the shallow seas that created a ring of water. From space, the planet had a vast array of colors, the dirty white clouds in the hurricane, the rusty desert underneath, the dark blue water stretching around the planet, and the ice cap on the nightside, where the only light it got were from the outer planets and massive aurora that shined in the otherwise black night.

The fourth planet out was the most intriguing. It orbited its star in less than six in a half days and had a large magnetic field that protected a thick atmosphere, while life of all sorts on the planet evolved and adapted.

Much of the solar point was covered in water and was dotted with islands. Most of the land was at the terminator, and life grew and flourished. There were aquatic animals, land animals, and a wide array of plant life that looked dark blue to the eye. But perhaps what made the planet most interesting was the amphibious lifeforms that were exploring, and gaining consciousness.

The fifth planet out was a cooler, oceanic world, completely covered in some form of water, deep seas that went across the entire dayside, and a massive ice cap on the nighttime side. Marine life was complex, and all sorts of plants and animals grew and evolved under the ocean. The thick atmosphere was rich in oxygen and water vapor, protected by a magnetic field. The planet orbited in over nine days and was tidally locked.

The sixth planet away was an icy oceanic planet, with a strong magnetic field, and thick atmosphere that transported heat to the farside, melting all the water on the planet, and strong currents keeping it from freezing. There were slushy ice caps, with warm water around the equator. From space, the planet looked a dim seafoam green. Whirling clouds all over the planet, with frequent storms. And basic unicellular life lived all around the planet. The planet had a strong magnetic field and orbited its star in less than twelve in a half days.

The seventh and final planet in the system was an icy world, just a bit smaller than the third planet. It had a very weak magnetic field, and small pockets of subsurface water dotted under the surface, however, life did not live here, at least not right now. Long, thin canyons streaked across the entire surface, formed by tidal effects, these same tidal effects helped smooth the surface of large impacts. And it held a thin atmosphere, almost too thin to be considered one. It orbited in just over twenty days, and from the dim surface, you could see all other planets in the daytime sky.

On the fourth planet away from the star, lies a lifeform like no other, it stands tall and evolved on the land, over thousands of years, this species of life grew to learn how to make fire, and turn stones into tools, they were on their way to making a great empire.

But it wasn’t meant to be.

On one terrible day, an Asteroid struck the planet, wiping out much of the life, including the young species that could’ve done great things, one day, some day.

All wasn’t lost, as this was how the other planets gained the precious seed that is life.

Over tens of thousands of years, life returned and populated the planet once again. And over a hundred thousand years after the species went extinct, a new lifeform emerged. It came from the water and adapted quickly. It gained consciousness, and asked questions, learned how to make fire, learned how to make tools, and before long, it learned how to turn metal into something useful.

Thousands of years went by, as empires rose and fell, and technology progressed. Wars were waged, wars were won, this species had many ups and downs, and finally, they developed steam.

Over two hundred years past before they had the capability to travel to space, and once they did, they expanded quickly into the unknown.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.