Add Proper Gamepad / Joystick Support

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

I dont seem to be able to find that button. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you go into the input menu, then flight. You can click on pitch, yaw, roll on the right of the screen where you press to bind an axis. Then on the screen where it tells you to move the axis you want to bind there are three circles you can press: Staging, docking translation and docking rotation.

If you make it so that pitch, roll, yaw have only the staging and 'docking rotation' selected

Then bind your same joystick for the translation axis and only tick docking translation for them.

You can then switch between docking translation (joystick will translate) and docking rotation (joystick will rotate). Then you can have the same axis switch between translation and rotation.

Hope it helped. :D

Edited by worir4

11 minutes ago, worir4 said:

If you go into the input menu, then flight. You can click on pitch, yaw, roll on the right of the screen where you press to bind an axis. Then on the screen where it tells you to move the axis you want to bind there are three circles you can press: Staging, docking translation and docking rotation.

If you make it so that pitch, roll, yaw have only the staging and 'docking rotation' selected

Then bind your same joystick for the translation axis and only tick docking translation for them.

You can then switch between docking translation (joystick will translate) and docking rotation (joystick will rotate). Then you can have the same axis switch between translation and rotation.

Hope it helped. :D

Thanks, I understand this. Its the button to switch between the staging and docking mode that I am looking for.

But thank you nevertheless for your time

Edited by Dafni

@Dafni

Oh right, it is in flight at the bottom left corner where you can switch between staging, docking and map mode.

After you have switched to docking mode i believe press spacebar to switch between translation and rotation. (You can rebind that in the options if you want.) 

Just now, worir4 said:

@Dafni

Oh right, it is in flight at the bottom left corner where you can switch between staging, docking and map mode.

After you have switched to docking mode i believe press spacebar to switch between translation and rotation. (You can rebind that in the options if you want.) 

Yes, I know, but I want to assign that comand to a button on the joystick, so I dont have to click on the screen.

Press a button on the stick to switch to docking mode, without having to reach for the mouse.

Just now, Dafni said:

Yes, I know, but I want to assign that comand to a button on the joystick, so I dont have to click on the screen.

Press a button on the stick to switch to docking mode, without having to reach for the mouse.

Ah i see. I am not sure how to do that. I have just been clicking on the screen when i play. Give me a moment I will try to see if i can find how to do it.:wink:

Just now, worir4 said:

Ah i see. I am not sure how to do that. I have just been clicking on the screen when i play. Give me a moment I will try to see if i can find how to do it.:wink:

Check the thread I linked to above. I got impatient I started my own thread about this. Thank you man, I hope I can get this working.

4 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Check the thread I linked to above. I got impatient I started my own thread about this. Thank you man, I hope I can get this working.

Yes @diomedea is right.

Open the settings.cfg file in your KSP folder. Then press Ctrl and  , then type in docking. It will show you 'UIMODE_DOCKING'.   Next to where it says 'primary, type the name of the button you want to use (like joystick3 or which ever you choose). Then for UIMODE_STAGING (just above the one you just searched) next to primary put the same key that you put for docking. Then when you press that button it will toggle between docking and staging. Good luck.

11 minutes ago, worir4 said:

Yes @diomedea is right.

Open the settings.cfg file in your KSP folder. Then press Ctrl and  , then type in docking. It will show you 'UIMODE_DOCKING'.   Next to where it says 'primary, type the name of the button you want to use (like joystick3 or which ever you choose). Then for UIMODE_STAGING (just above the one you just searched) next to primary put the same key that you put for docking. Then when you press that button it will toggle between docking and staging. Good luck.

I never modified a file in KSP! When you say open the settings.cgf, how do you do that? Just windows editor? I´ll look into it later today.

Thanks a lot

45 minutes ago, Dafni said:

I never modified a file in KSP! When you say open the settings.cgf, how do you do that? Just windows editor? I´ll look into it later today.

Thanks a lot

Don't worry it is not too hard. 

First open your KSP folder (If you have it in steam go to properties then local files)

In that folder there should be a file called 'settings'. Open it with notepad or something similar. 

You should have just some text open now. the first line should be     ' // KSP Game Settings'

After you have it open press Ctrl and F to open the search box. Type in 'Docking'. Press Find next until it highlights the line that says 'UIMODE_DOCKING'

Under UIMODE_DOCKING. there is a line that says 'primary =' 

Now you want to replace what ever is after the = with your joystick button name. (to find it just go into KSP and bind your chosen button to anything and it should show you what it is called e.g. joystickbutton1 or something similar.

Just type that after the = in the settings file.

Finally go to UIMODE_STAGING (should be right above UIMODE_DOCKING)   Then after 'Primary =' just type the same joystick button as you did before.

Save the file and that is all, you are done!

Let me know how it goes.:D

On 7.1.2017 at 2:44 PM, worir4 said:

Don't worry it is not too hard. 

First open your KSP folder (If you have it in steam go to properties then local files)

In that folder there should be a file called 'settings'. Open it with notepad or something similar. 

You should have just some text open now. the first line should be     ' // KSP Game Settings'

After you have it open press Ctrl and F to open the search box. Type in 'Docking'. Press Find next until it highlights the line that says 'UIMODE_DOCKING'

Under UIMODE_DOCKING. there is a line that says 'primary =' 

Now you want to replace what ever is after the = with your joystick button name. (to find it just go into KSP and bind your chosen button to anything and it should show you what it is called e.g. joystickbutton1 or something similar.

Just type that after the = in the settings file.

Finally go to UIMODE_STAGING (should be right above UIMODE_DOCKING)   Then after 'Primary =' just type the same joystick button as you did before.

Save the file and that is all, you are done!

Let me know how it goes.:D

Thank you again. I can do it now, was really no big deal.

It was the first time for me to manually modify a KSP file. A powerfull tool indeed, something that should come in handy in the future.

Thanks again for teaching me the way.

Daf

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I've once again attempted to configure my HOTAS (Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner II) for KSP. It was a frustrating nightmare. While it is possible to somehow, with lots of fiddling, assign the correct axis... having to go back and forth from main menu and gameplay [load savegame, go to runway, quit to main menu, go to settings, repeat] is incredibly bothersome. Especially when stuff you see happening in the game just doesn't add up at all.

With a centered stick, the indicators for YPR just went nuts. Going fom far right / bottom all the way to far left / top, and wiggling the Joystick around caused them to eventually swap sides - and stick there. Y far left, P pressed down, and R far right - one wiggle of the stick and some of those swap sides. Impossible to center anything. And this has been a known problem for years by now:

I've attempted to read up on what the heck's going on here, and it seems to come down to Unity reading either raw or direct input, can't recall which one it was, while lots of Joysticks provide the other. There are "workarounds" which include disabling basic driver security measures of Windows, and installing virtual Joystick programs to serve as input to the Game while reading the actual Joystick input and putting that through...

Long story short, I'm a software dev myself looking to play a game after a long day at work. And I'd prefer the game to "just work" (in regular Windows terminology). As in: Plug, wait a second, and play. No nonsense with disabling system security components and externally emulating virtual sticks just to get a darn Joystick to work in a game that you'd expect requires one to play properly in the first place.

If Unity presents these kind of barriers to Joystick usage, it'd be somewhere on top of my priority list to work around these barriers and get Joysticks to "just work as expected" ASAP. In my time, I've played X-Wing Alliance, I've played the whole X-Series, MS Flight Sim and even TIE FIGHTER for DOS on Joysticks [even this particular one], and many, many more. KSP being unable to handle Joysticks at all, for whatever reason really, looks incredibly pitiful. I enjoy playing KSP immensely, which is the only reason why the lack of Joystick compatibility "out of the box" bothers me so much. Please don't expect your community to have a degree in computer science to just play a flight sim (be that with planes and/or rockets) with hardware made for flight sims.

Edited by BlackSun

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.