Low Tech SSTO Spaceplanes (1.1.3)

HalcyonSon

I've seen a LOT of questions about low tech level SSTO Spaceplanes.  Most of the info I could find was horribly generic, conflicting, or outdated.  So here are a few of my designs that either work, or just need some details ironed out.  I have Stations in Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus Orbit, as well as a Mun Surface Base.  The primary drive for my reusable spaceplane mission is crew swaps and training runs.  I'll post hangar pictures here of each craft full and empty showing the Center of Mass and Center of Lift.  Following that will be a few pictures of successful missions for each SSTO.  I also plan to post KerbalX links once I get familiar with that system.  I am running a lightly modded install of KSP 1.1.3: Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kerbal Engineer Redux, Navball Docking Alignment Indicator, Better Crew Assignments, Aviation Lights, Final Frontier, KIS/KAS, and SCANSat.

Since the forum glitches for me if I leave it too long, I'll submit this first post, and then reply to it with each design.  The first successful SSTO Spaceplane I managed was the Kerb Fan (Prototype) SSTO, followed by the Kerb Fan (Crew) SSTO, and my current project is the Kerbal SSTO HWGAA*.  There is no real naming protocol yet.  Everything can be considered in-house pre-production equipment, but the plan is to eventually standardize designs and naming.

*The "Here We Go Again (Again?)" follows the Kerbal SSTOs "No Way," "Maybe," "Possible," and "Here We Go Again."

Edited by HalcyonSon

The Kerb Fan Delta SSTO Prototype and Crew variants are based off my most successful long-range survey aircraft.  Fitted with a Wheesley Turbofan, the Kerb Fan Delta can fly non-stop around Kerbin with a maximum sustained altitude of approximately 12,000 m.  Maximum speed is not impressive, but it carries a sweet of scientific instruments that includes thermometers, barometers, accelerators, goo canisters, and materials bays.  If three to four stops are needed for readings, it can still make a near approach to the Space Center with a safe landing in the grassland or sea.  Parachutes on the Kerb Fan Delta allow for safe touchdown even under complete loss of control.  Minor modifications have been made throughout its service life while attempting to improve sustained speed and altitude.  You'll notice that some pictures have a service bay, different intakes, or fewer attachments to the fuselage.

Kerb%20Fan%20Delta%202%20Dry_zps3sp2g3ex

Kerb%20Fan%20Delta%202%20Wet_zps2re4q7rv

Jebediah%20Kerman%20with%20Kerb%20Fan%20

Jebediah%20Kerman%20with%20Kerb%20Fan%20

Jeb%20Kerman%20reaches%2012430%20m%20in%

Jeb%20on%20his%20way%20into%20the%20Dawn

Jeb%20on%20his%20way%20into%20the%20Dawn

Edited by HalcyonSon

The Kerb Fan Delta (Prototype) SSTO is a highly modified variant of the strictly atmospheric Kerb Fan Delta.  The Wheesley has been replaced by two Panthers for increased speed, wihle the Inline Cockpit and Small Circular Intake have been replaced by the Mk1 Cockpit and Supersonic Intake.  All Liquid Fuel only tanks have been replaced with Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer tanks to feed the Reliant engine.  The distinctive large delta wing has been pared down to account for increased lift at high speed, and also to reduce weight.  All science payload has been removed, with the exception of KER component.  Unfortunately, the first successful flight lost a wheel on takeoff, and had to splashdown just beyond the KSC runway after returning from orbit.  As always, many small changes are made between flights, so minor differences are apparent between pictures.  Some variants have a service bay immediately behind the cockpit.

Kerb%20Fan%20Delta%20SSTO%20Wet_zpszcqbl

Kerb%20Fan%20Delta%20SSTO%20Dry_zpsadihz

Kerb%20Fan%20Delta%20SSTO%20finally%20in

Kerb%20Fan%20SSTO%20Reetry%20Details%200

Kerb%20Fan%20SSTO%20Return%20to%20Kerbin

Edited by HalcyonSon

4 hours ago, HalcyonSon said:

What is that outer delta wing?  I don't believe I've unlocked it yet.

It's unlocked with the Advanced Aerodynamics node just below the one that unlocked the Panther engine.

On 9/23/2016 at 6:08 AM, NAeX said:

Maybe I'm just blind but where are your air intakes?

My SSTOs use the Supersonic Diverterless Intake, which works better than the Adjustable ramps because it holds fuel.  Still waiting to unlock Shock Cones, which will replace the nose cone on the engine pods.  Right now, my Panthers flame out above 850 m/s.  My Minmus Station and Lander are in transit - ten days is a LONG time in-game when you're only passing two hours at a time doing SSTO flights.

Val's design makes me wonder... I've heard engine exhaust can be occluded by other parts, but is intake air occluded?  If those Nacelles are the only intakes, will the engines run at all?

Finally got the HWGAA to orbit with about 300 m/s to spare.  It has one cheat - the second set of Panthers are clipped over the Swivels.  The extra weight and drag of a second set of engine pods would prevent it reaching orbit.  Looks bad-ass when all six engines are lit and when they're off, you can just see the tip of the Swivel inside the Panther.  It gives KER fits though - delta V readings don't show separate rocket and air-breathing stages.

Here is my old creation, SSTO "Panther" (first version I made in version 1.0.5): version for 1.1.2, also work pretty well in 1.1.3.

One pilot and 2 tourists to Kerbin orbit and back, you need to have only one 160SP technology (Supersonic flight) for use this bird.

BsQNkOn.jpg

Link to KerbalX: https://kerbalx.com/Mesklin/SSTO-Panther-LT-112

19 hours ago, HalcyonSon said:

Val's design makes me wonder... I've heard engine exhaust can be occluded by other parts, but is intake air occluded?  If those Nacelles are the only intakes, will the engines run at all?

No, intakes cannot be occluded like exhaust can. Though, they might get disabled if mounted in or near a service-, cargobay or faring.

On 9/27/2016 at 0:45 AM, Mesklin said:

Here is my old creation, SSTO "Panther" (first version I made in version 1.0.5): version for 1.1.2, also work pretty well in 1.1.3.

Really cool! Thank you!

Edit: I suppose to let Kerbals go EVA into Structural Fuselage was a kind way to say "you shouldn't"? :)

Edited by Kerbal101

On 10/1/2016 at 2:17 AM, Kerbal101 said:

Really cool! Thank you!

Edit: I suppose to let Kerbals go EVA into Structural Fuselage was a kind way to say "you shouldn't"? :)

Don't know about Structural Fuselage - haven't tried that.  I did have a Kerbal detonate inside a 1.25 m Service Bay once.  The Service Bay was already full of science gear, and I was trying to sneak the Kerbal in and around to collect data.  He glitched inside and blew the entire thing to bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this counts or not, but I made a Juno/NERV SSTO while messing around today.    So one half of the craft is definitely low tech.

20161012233933_1_zpsy2zgirvf.jpg

20161012194945_1_zpsrslqarhf.jpg

The problem with building a NERV spaceplane, is that you are carrying dissimilar engine types so need a minimum of three not to have asymmetric thrust.

My usual approach is to just put the whiplash on a decoupler behind the NERV and forget 100% reuse purism,  but i thought having some radial Junos might help.   Well, it'll just about manage a Mun flyby, but was mostly rubbish.    My Whiplash-dropping design is a similar size, and will take you to the surface of Duna and  back.

I couldn't get Vals plane into orbit. Does it make it? and how far can it go after?

I have one SSTO I just finished, but I don't think it's low tech.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4emzdl283motgd3/IDGAD Starfighter 2_5 Autostrut.craft?dl=0

photo IDGADStarfighter2.6Autostrut2_zpsjqwu0bmk.png

Rapiers and Nukes... The rest are varied wings and fuel parts. I don't play much beyond SandBox. So, I'm not familiar with what is unlocked where. Might want to watch out for the cargo bay if you don't want higher tech. It has 1 of every science part basically. Most of that could be removed though including the mining stuff if needed to fly it earlier. It has good Delta V if you only need to use it one way. And the more you take out the better the mileage.

Edit: Crap, sorry, this is a 1.2 plane now. The file may not work.

Edited by Arugela

Nukes and RAPIERs are low tech? (Thread title) @AeroGav and @Arugela? :P

33 minutes ago, Arugela said:

I couldn't get Vals plane into orbit. Does it make it? and how far can it go after?

Did you follow the Ascent Profile instruction on the craft page? Where in the ascent did it fail?

Edited by Val
Missing words

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.