The Astro-Imaging Thread

ProtoJeb21

Astro-Imaging Questions  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Solar System Body to Image?

4 hours ago, Epox75 said:

Since i'm still waiting for the auto-guiding equipment, tonight I have tried my ASI1600MM-Cool on Jupiter. I like the camera on planetary: it has a decent resolution and a great field of view, very nice for shots at my native focal lenght. But you can see its limits when you put on a barlow. I had to discard the images taken with the barlow due to an extreme lack of fine details but anyway I will give the camera a second chance, Jupiter is low on the horizon and maybe the seeing was not soo good. Anyway here's the 1st picture ( I have a second picture to process to test Winjupos derotation but I will do it tomorrow because it's about 50gb of video in total ):

Impressive ! Would you care to share your processing steps ?

I must admit that this is the first time i noticed that the ecliptic of Jupiter's moons is tilted to Jupiter's atmosphere ...

5 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Impressive ! Would you care to share your processing steps ?

I must admit that this is the first time i noticed that the ecliptic of Jupiter's moons is tilted to Jupiter's atmosphere ...

I've never seen it so clearly either :) 

For Jupiter i usually record 90 sec per channel due to its rotation (R, G, B, rarely IR.. .i don't like it on Jupiter). I keep the histogram around 52% (Approx 128).  

Then I process the videos on Autostakkert using Laplace value at 5 or 6 and very big alignment points (i rarely go over 10 AP for any image i stack) and normalizing the image to a 70 to 80%. I usually stack the 30% of frames if bad/average seeing and 50% or more if good seeing. 

After that I deconvolve the images using DStation Deconvolution Software: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/412940-dstation-deconvolution-software/ . This is a very nice software, very easy to use once you understand the few options it has. 

Then i use an old version of MaximDL (4.5) to combine the Red, Green and Blue.

Then I use registax for a fine RGB allignment (warning: dont' do "DO ALL" when saving, if will undo the fine alignment)

Then MaximDL again for white and color balance. 

And in the end Photoshop CC for its custom denoise.

The process may change a little depending on the target.

Edited by Epox75

13 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Tonight's going to be a nice, warm clear night for some Jupiter observing. I also have tons of images and videos of Jupiter from earlier this month in need of processing. @_Augustus_ I'm going to need some advice for using RegiStax later on.

Honestly there's not much I can tell you that a video can't. For Jupiter I prefer using AutoStakkert.

5 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

Honestly there's not much I can tell you that a video can't. For Jupiter I prefer using AutoStakkert.

Well apparently I can't access the RegiStax site because now it's full of malware so I'm going to need a video or help from here on the forums.

Main thing I need to know: What site can I use to change video format into something that RegiStax can read?

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Well apparently I can't access the RegiStax site because now it's full of malware so I'm going to need a video or help from here on the forums.

Main thing I need to know: What site can I use to change video format into something that RegiStax can read?

Just use AutoStakkert then.

VirtualDub can change MP4s and stuff to avi format.

14 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Just use AutoStakkert then.

VirtualDub can change MP4s and stuff to avi format.

I think I remember enough of the RegiStax tutorial steps to use it without breaking the entire program. Also, I've found a secure video file conversion site called Zamzar which I've used for .mov to .avi conversion in the past.

52 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Just hit "analyze" and it should.

I can't. The program does not acknowledge any files at all.

EDIT: it turns out the program only responds to single images...but I can't process them because it's just a single image.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I can't. The program does not acknowledge any files at all.

EDIT: it turns out the program only responds to single images...but I can't process them because it's just a single image.

Autostakkert doens't like compressed video files. If you have an mp4 or mpg, etc. they must be converted to uncompressed raw avi 

This is by far not enough information to give the slightest hint. There are different technologies and flavours. Stand-alone or with the help of a laptop. If i had no idea and i wanted one out of the shelf i would ask the dealer where i bought the mount and the scope. A camera starts at around 200,- funds, a small finder scope with 1,25inch connection and focuser maybe 100,-. Plus a little mechanics to fix it on the rings of the main tube. All components must speak the same protocol (ST4 for example) and have connectors for it.

What i would not recommend is an off axis guider.

What is your setup now ? Have you tried without and it didn't work ? Is the mount strong enough to hurl everything around when it is weighed out as good as possible ? I can imagine that with all the uncentered masses this can become a problem because levers change when the mount slews.

It looks like I have finally understood how to derotate long videos of Jupiter :) This is another picture from the other night taken with the ASI1600MM. I recorded 5 minutes per channel and derotated the AVI files with Winjupos. Seeing was bad, Jupiter low, so I stacked 6000 frames overall out of 56000. The picture shows more details compared to the other one. Unfortunately the raw video files were too large so I had to crop it. 

trcjb6D.png

No images *yet* but here is my list of solar system bodies that I have seen though binoculars/telescope:

The Sun (filter)

Mercury

Venus

The Moon

Mars

Ceres

Vesta

Jupiter, Amalthea, Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto

Saturn, Mimas, Enceladus, Tethys, Dione, Rhea, Titan, Iapetus

Uranus, Titania, Oberon, Ariel, Umbriel

I am still hunting for Neptune+Triton, Pluto and Pallas.

1 hour ago, Epox75 said:

It looks like I have finally understood how to derotate long videos of Jupiter :) This is another picture from the other night taken with the ASI1600MM. I recorded 5 minutes per channel and derotated the AVI files with Winjupos. Seeing was bad, Jupiter low, so I stacked 6000 frames overall out of 56000. The picture shows more details compared to the other one. Unfortunately the raw video files were too large so I had to crop it. 

trcjb6D.png

Nicely done. Great detail!

On May 1, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Green Baron said:

What is your setup now ? Have you tried without and it didn't work ? Is the mount strong enough to hurl everything around when it is weighed out as good as possible ?

I have a 10 inch Newtonian astrograph. 1000mm flocal length f3.9. It's on an Orion atlas eq-g that can support 40lb. When I photographed the beehive cluster and m42 I got significant drift.

8 hours ago, Epox75 said:

trcjb6D.png

Nice. You should post that on CN.

7 hours ago, Adstriduum said:

Titania, Oberon, Ariel, Umbriel

What scope did you use? 

6 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

I have a 10 inch Newtonian astrograph. 1000mm flocal length f3.9. It's on an Orion atlas eq-g that can support 40lb. When I photographed the beehive cluster and m42 I got significant drift.

We already discussed your telescope, remember ?

Goto doesn't help you when taking long exposures. If your setup isn't aligned towards the celestial pole the stars will perform circles, with or without an autoguider.

Trying to get more info: did you perform a polar alignment with a polar viewfinder as exact as possible ? You could use Kochab (beta Ursae minoris) as a helper, the pole lies a bit more than 0,5 degrees away from Polaris towards Kochab.

How is balance of everything ? Your Newton is around 25lb + 5lb for the rings and rail + camera plus adapters and finderscope and small guiding camera plus more screws and things (let's say another 7lb) will make the poor mount sweat, it is clearly at its limit. When balancing everything with mounted camera, loosen the axis locks and swing it around. You will be surprised how balance changes because of changing levers. If the mount has a friction drive that can cause deviations.

Before spending much money on an autoguider i would make sure that everything is working reliably from the mechanics side.

3 hours ago, Green Baron said:

did you perform a polar alignment with a polar viewfinder as exact as possible

I think so. It was a month ago though. 

So the scope though, for Polaris it has a ring, with crosshairs marking the celestial pole. I do put polaris onto the ring?

You could use Kochab as a helper, the pole lies a bit more than 0,5 degrees away from Polaris towards Kochab.

So should I attempt to follow the handle of Ursa Minor starting at Kochab? 

How is balance of everything

I think I might need to get more counterweights, I think the camera might be a little to much on top of everything. I can check in about 5 hours.

You will be surprised how balance changes because of changing levers

So when I balance it, should I balance it for the specific direction it will be pointing at? Would I have to rebalance it if the target crossed the meridian?

Before spending much money on an autoguider i would make sure that everything is working reliably from the mechanics

So make sure the mount is working properly before I spend extra money? 

4 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

What scope did you use? 

A Celestron NexStar with a 2x Barlow. Uranus was at opposition at the time. I would love to shoot for Miranda, still trying.

To see Amalthea (Might as well post this) I put a piece of tape underneath the eyepiece. This blocked out most of the glare of Jupiter and it resolved as a tiny dot.

Edited by Adstriduum

51 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

So the scope though, for Polaris it has a ring, with crosshairs marking the celestial pole. I do put polaris onto the ring?

Or the pole. I don't know what the reticle in your polar finder is like. I have looked through 5 or 6 and all where different. In principle: the celestial pole describes a circle of ~1.5° diameter once in 24h around Polaris, together with the rest of the sky and Kochab tells you where it is. On my Losmandy the polar finder can be rotated in the fitting, on the LXD 75 the whole ra-axis must be turned.

Was there a handbook delivered with the scope ?

So when I balance it, should I balance it for the specific direction it will be pointing at? Would I have to rebalance it if the target crossed the meridian?

Yes. Going through the meridian usually not only destroys balance but also leads to a massive "jerk". Solution: meridian flip.

So make sure the mount is working properly before I spend extra money? 

Well, i would certainly do so. I don't have 300,- to throw away ... :-)

Edited by Green Baron

7 hours ago, Adstriduum said:

A Celestron NexStar with a 2x Barlow. Uranus was at opposition at the time. I would love to shoot for Miranda, still trying.

To see Amalthea (Might as well post this) I put a piece of tape underneath the eyepiece. This blocked out most of the glare of Jupiter and it resolved as a tiny dot.

Which model NexStar? They range in size from 4" to 11".

Well it's about time I show my raw lunar images from the other night:

AFNep7W.jpg

BOxyIr8.jpg

syHPhXJ.jpg

kE3zQGY.jpg

It took a total of 6 videos (2 of Luna, 4 of Jupiter) that I'll process soon. But I need to figure out why AutoStakkert doesn't like .avi files when it's SUPPOSED to work with them.

30 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

It took a total of 6 videos (2 of Luna, 4 of Jupiter) that I'll process soon. But I need to figure out why AutoStakkert doesn't like .avi files when it's SUPPOSED to work with them.

Consider that there are compressed AVIs (DIVX/XVID algorithm) and uncompressed ones. Autostakkert is meant to work with uncompressed raw video files mostly. Yet your problem might be a codec one. You can try to install a codec pack (K-Lite is my favourite https://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_mega.htm - i suggest you to download the mega version of the pack and do the profile 5 installation: playback and encoding ) and see if Autostakkert starts accepting the files. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.