[1.4.2] Kerbal Space Transport System

-MM-

On 5.2.2017 at 11:02 PM, Horstan said:

If I want to download this mod, I only get a blanc window and no download starts. Is the link broken?

Maybe there was a temporary problem with Github. It works for me at this moment. But when in doubt, you can simply go directly to the following release page: https://github.com/mmoench/KSTS/releases

43 minutes ago, -MM- said:

Maybe there was a temporary problem with Github. It works for me at this moment. But when in doubt, you can simply go directly to the following release page: https://github.com/mmoench/KSTS/releases

Yup, there was a problem with Amazon Web Services earlier today which most probably caused the problem. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting mod. I haven't tried it out but I wish KCT could work with it (KCT's not written in a way that would allow it right now). StageRecovery could work with it though since StageRecovery's API announces when a vessel is recovered, which could allow this mod to consider those costs.

As for your issue of loading vessels in orbit, have you looked at Contract Configurator's SpawnVessel code? It can take a ShipConstruct and put it basically anywhere. I'm using a slightly simplified version of it in a simulation mod called SimuLite and it's working really well, except for landed simulations where the orientation is messed up.

• 2 weeks later...

For modular fuel tanks, is there any way to make this work? I know that the Hangar Mod works with modular fuel tanks, perhaps there is some code in that could be used for this? I love being able to skip launches when I'm using 10x rescaled Kerbin and want to get lots of stuff into orbit. EDIT: Seems to actually be working with modular fuel tanks just fine?

Edited by westamastaflash

• 3 weeks later...

Havent try it yet,but this mod looks like a saver to a shuttle fan who always play in career mode. Thank you so much!

Also,by any chance we can figure out how to make this work with RF?RF is also a must-have which depend on MFT……

• 3 weeks later...

Is this known to not work with Kerbal NRAP? I deployed a test weight set to 650 tons but the payload in the profile saved as 2 tons. I found the KSTS profiles in my sfs though so it was an easy fix. Also, would something bad happen if a vessel was KSTS spawned near an active vessel?

Edited by ShadyAct

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10.6.2017 at 10:58 AM, alexandertheII said:

This mod is absolutely magnificent, it really made my Space Program much more successful as it automated all my launches after this first Shuttle launch. Any idea on when it will be out for 1.3?

Hello, I've just uploaded a re-compiled version of KSTS for KSP 1.3. I've done some quick testing and it seems to be working well. You can find a download-link in the first post of this thread.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Acvila said:

Hi, great mod. Can you please add recover to the deploy part? cause if you can deploy something you can also recover it :).

Hm, that would be a completely new mission-type, because for recovery you would have to prove that you are able to land with the captured cargo, not just take off.
Anyway, I can see why it would be nice to recover a probe which can't land on its own to get its sweet science inside. I will put an item on my Todo-List to look at how we could implement some kind of science recovery at least.

• 3 months later...

I have been using this mod for a while and I love it, but there is one thing that I cant figure out, for round trip rockets does the mod only support single stage recovery? I have a 100t SSTO but i cant really go higher.
I don't mean recovery mods, I mean a sort of spacex style. Launch, stage 2 separate, Burn for a bit to give me time, switch to first stage, land it, switch back to stage 2, ect.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a video showcasing how to use this mod? i'm slightly confused...

EDIT: figured it out, hadn,t noticed you had to deploy then save the launch profile (thank god it remembers all the date from your save quicksave save points!)

Edited by RobinVerhulstZ

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/21/2017 at 10:37 PM, santoroma17 said:

I have been using this mod for a while and I love it, but there is one thing that I cant figure out, for round trip rockets does the mod only support single stage recovery? I have a 100t SSTO but i cant really go higher.
I don't mean recovery mods, I mean a sort of spacex style. Launch, stage 2 separate, Burn for a bit to give me time, switch to first stage, land it, switch back to stage 2, ect.

Thanks.

I'm about to hook this up again after being gone for many months, but from what I can remember you need to be in control of the same root vessel the entire time its recording.  For "non-standard" launch profiles like you describe, you just need to creatively work around that limitation.

So far I haven't seen anything else quite like this, and its a really fun challenge to see how cheap yet how big you can get something to a certain orbiting altitude.  I'm really surprised this isn't more popular.

Edited by PolecatEZ

Very nice mod, its part of my must have mods for long playthroughs.  You have saved me probably days worth of flying resupply station missions which i use this mod for.  Thanks for keeping it up and all your hard work.

Hello @-MM-

Just want to report a incompatibility with @Shadowmage SSTU mod. Basicaly, a deployment profile have a 11,169 recorded cost while it should be around 180,750. I believe its because SSTU use a procedural part system and your mod seem take basic cost instaid of cost after customization.

While I would be really happy if it was made compatible, I do understand it might require quite a change in your cost calculation. MAybe a work around is possible? Any case, a incompatibility notice could also do. 

Thanks

On 11/13/2017 at 4:21 PM, PolecatEZ said:

I'm about to hook this up again after being gone for many months, but from what I can remember you need to be in control of the same root vessel the entire time its recording.  For "non-standard" launch profiles like you describe, you just need to creatively work around that limitation.

So far I haven't seen anything else quite like this, and its a really fun challenge to see how cheap yet how big you can get something to a certain orbiting altitude.  I'm really surprised this isn't more popular.

Thanks. The mod is really fun, but with only being able to use one stage, getting more then 100 tons is a pain when also trying to land at KSC, but right now i think my best is 100tons to 100km in 18 minutes for $80,000. I know i can switch vessels and then go back to the root ship no problem, And anything after the payload release doesn't matter. so what i might do is after separation, and boost burn. land the 1st stage then deliver the payload, then land the 2nd stage as close to the first. dock them (some how) and finish the mission. (maybe have the 2nd stage be a shuttle style lander)

SSTO heavy cargo lifter (revision 1)

This vehicle did carry 37 tones of cargo (although with additional external jettisonable tanks) into low orbit. Not so hot. Main engines are two BROADSWORDs. I cannot tell exact deltav or TWR because those engines are bugged. Nosecone is an openable docking port. Requires Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod. 

I just realised this is Mark IV and not OPT J/K design but I assume posting this is fine anyway. :) 

QFqbtB1.jpg

rS9vdfS.jpg

SSTO heavy cargo lifter (revision 2)

This vehicle did carry 50 tones of cargo (no external tanks) into low orbit. It does not look amazing with a cargo hold only 1/3 of its fuselage but it does carry a lot of mass. This is important when you use KSTS mod. Only mass of payload matters, not dimensions. Notice that central engines are rotated to counteract torque from sub-wing engies because those engines are below center of mass. Makes a lot of plumes on the runway. 

gd1dGBl.jpg

i3JzBTs.jpg

Spaceplane for explorations of other planets (also dropship)

Not strictly SSTO. It is able to go orbital on its own but that uses entire fuel. If you can refuel in orbit, that is fine. Engine is rocket mode only, but an efficient one. 4600 deltav. No jets. That is why it is not classified as SSTO. Ventral docking port can be used for a dropship role, meaning it flies over few meters above mun surface and drop off cargo or a rover and fly away. See last screenshot for that.

xWEpE5D.jpg

d7qsNII.jpg

ysNzRtn.jpg

Edited by agrock

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to offer some "Tips" for issues you may run into while using this mod that may be of help.  These are things I noticed while using the mod myself.  This is also a very quick new user guide to how to get started right away with a few basic's.

Their are three types of missions you'll want to likely record.  First is a deploy mission, second is a Transport mission for fuel, third is a Transport mission for Kerbals (you may also want a blended version of transport missions).

Step 1 of any mission:  Build your SSTO rocket.

- If your doing a deploy mission, you can use various options to disconnect the "payload".  Personally, I use docking ports (one on my ship, one on my payload)  be sure though that you disable crossfeed on them.(if you use resources in any fashion from your payload, the mission won't work)  The key when building this is get as dense in terms of weight a package as you can.  size or parts count don't matter.  Just weight.  If your using USI mods, I find the smaller Karbonite tanks filled are pretty dense for form factor.  I also will clip smaller side mount tanks in between them and stack them together.

- If your doing a transport mission, the key is to have a docking port and carry as much additional fuel as you can while still reaching a stable orbit.

- If doing a kerbal transport mission, just pack on some kerbals and have a docking port.

****FINAL IMPORTANT NOTE****

I'd suggest landing gear or side mounted launch stands (forgot the name while writing the post but the launch pad structures with the red ends that hold your ship in place until you launch)

The reason for this, I discovered, is if your ship "falls" a bit to far when loading onto the launch pad, KSTS, registers that as if the ship had taken off without you starting the recording (I believe because it moved from it's starting spot) and so it will no longer allow you to start recording the flight.

Step 2: Pick if your doing a deploy or a transport mission by selecting the option under the record tab.  Then be sure to hit the record button before you start your launch sequence.

Step 3: launch and achieve orbit

Step 4: payload

- for deploy missions, be sure to select the docking port or separator that is connected to YOUR ship, not the one on the payload.  Then hit the deploy payload or whatever it's called button.  DO NOT hit the save and record mission button after, unless you don't plan to do a return trip to land your rocket.

- for transport missions, use the sliders to select as much fuel as possible that you can dump, while still having some left for de-orbit.  Then hit deploy.  DO NOT hit save after unless your not planning to return your rocket to the surface.  Also, if you have an extra cargo container that was holding the fuel your planning on disconnecting before the return trip, I'd suggest you make sure you've transferred all the fuel out.  I use fuel balancer mod for this.

Step 5: deorbit and land back on kerbin (do not recover vessel yet)

Step 6: hit save and record mission button in KSTS

Step 7: Recover vessel

DONE!

Now to fly a mission, go to the deploy tab and select a payload that is equal or lower weight then the payload you delivered and an orbit that is above 70k but below your achieved orbit on your mission, and then select your deploy mission and your good to go!

Have fun, hope it helped!