Fighter Jet Speed Test

War is on the horizon. The nations of Kerbin are angry with each other, and the conflicts have hit a breaking point. You, a designer and flight tester for the KSC, have been contracted to design, build, and fly a supersonic fighter jet, capable of high maneuverability and fast speeds. Good Luck.

Rules

Plane Requirements

1. The plane must have Mk. 1 parts only.*

2. The craft can have a maximum of 2 engines.* (Except in VTOL category, which is allowed 3 engines.)

2a. The engines must be air-breathing.*

3. Only Stock engines are allowed.*

4. Mods can be used only if it does not affect the performance of the craft.

5. It has to reach above Mach 1 (343 m/s)

6. Cheats to use: Infinite fuel, Infinite Electricity, Infinite RCS, Ignore Max Temp, Unbreakable Joints**

7. No turning off gravity, drag, or anything else.*

8. The plane is limited to 75 Parts.***

9. Have fun.

Leaderboard

1. The scoring is based off of a system of speed, maneuverability, and used cheats. (Speed + Highest G's + 5 for no cheats = Score)

2. A person can have two or more entries, but only 2 per category MAXIMUM. If a person does 3 or more, then the jet with the lowest score will be taken off.

2a. A person can also have entries in multiple categories.

*- If not followed, instant disqualification is warranted.

**- Optional

***- Points penalty

Edited by DarkOwl57

3 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Do you get more points if you don't use cheats? :wink: Also, how are you going to score entries? By speed, maneuverability, or everything in general? I'll probably try this tomorrow.

The higher the speed, the more points you get. Maneuverability gives 3 added points. I score maneuverability if it can do 10G turns easily and turn around in less than a second.

53 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I know there are a few Avro Arrow builds out there that would fit the requirements. Any of them still fly in 1.1.3?

--

Idk; I'm doing my version in the latest stable release so I can use BD Armory, but you can use whatever version.

Points will be

Mach 1: 0.5 points

Mach 2: 2.5 Points

Mach 3+: 5 Points

Maneuverability: 3 points

Above part limit: -5 points

22 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

6. Cheats to use: Infinite fuel, Infinite Electricity, Infinite RCS, Ignore Max Temp

With these rules you're going to get some sticks with two whiplashes strapped on and a pair of fins for wings because by the time you cross the runway you'll be going circa 600m/s

One more rule: The engines need to be air breathing (i.e.. Panther, Whiplash, etc.)

22 minutes ago, Jhawk1099 said:

With these rules you're going to get some sticks with two whiplashes strapped on and a pair of fins for wings because by the time you cross the runway you'll be going circa 600m/s

Well, then they would lose points on the maneuverability.

POINTS RESCORING; IMPORTANT

Top speed is your point amount.

5G turns = 5 points

10G turns = 10 points

(etc.)

Above part limit: -15 points

Ex. Plane with 1000 m/s top speed + 7G Maneuverability + 90 parts (-15) = 992 points.

Your goal to beat is 1344 points. (I'm going to try to get a video of my plane by today or tomorrow.)

4 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Do you get more points if you don't use cheats? :wink: Also, how are you going to score entries? By speed, maneuverability, or everything in general? I'll probably try this tomorrow.

And if you use no cheats....... That will be an added like...... 5 points. But the part limit would be an [Censored] to you. If you do get it...... Massive respect to you.

33 minutes ago, Thatguywholikesionengines said:

Dangit, I had made a plane a while back with just two modded parts and incredible speed and manueverability AND a very low weight, but I now see I have to redesign it from the landing gear up if i want it to count for no mods.

Which mods did you use? it's just modded engines that are banned.

Right, here's my entry, the Fasty McGoFast. I don't know how to post albums so here's the link.

Top speed = 1,439 m/s

Highest G-force endured = 43.6 G's (I would have pushed it harder if it wasn't for 1.2's new G-force limits)

Parts = 38

Cheats used = None!

So the scoring should be as follows (I think :P)

1,439 points (for top speed) + 43.6 (for max G-force) + 5 points (for no cheats - you did say that, right?)

=

1,487.6 points 

(If I'm not mistaken :P

19 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Right, here's my entry, the Fasty McGoFast. I don't know how to post albums so here's the link.

Top speed = 1,439 m/s

Highest G-force endured = 43.6 G's (I would have pushed it harder if it wasn't for 1.2's new G-force limits)

Parts = 38

Cheats used = None!

So the scoring should be as follows (I think :P)

1,439 points (for top speed) + 43.6 (for max G-force) + 5 points (for no cheats - you did say that, right?)

=

1,487.6 points 

(If I'm not mistaken :P

AND WE HAVE A NEW WORLD RECORD!!!!!

My plane is called the M-13, closely based off of EnterElysium's fighter jet in WWK 3 episode.... I think 6.

Top speed: 1352 m/s

Highest G-force (Without smashing into a billion pieces): 8.5

Parts: 68

My total Score: 1360.5

You blew me out of the water. GG :wink:

I saw the album, and that looks sexy. Great design. and if you had used Ignore max temp, you would have easily gotten to about maybe 15k points, but either way..... I rate that plane 10/10.

Oh, and if you try to design it like I did, BE FOREWARNED: The plane is squirmy as a mofo at 700 m/s+. I was pulling like 5 Gs just pitching the nose down.

Edited by DarkOwl57

On 9/22/2016 at 2:44 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

@DarkOwl57 Thanks for all the kind words! :) 

Will you have a leaderboard? It will be useful for keeping track of everyone if when more people join this challenge.

Yes. We will have a single-engine leaderboard and a double-engine leaderboard.

Leaderboard

Single Engine Mach 2

1. NotAnAimbot with 1845 points using the 'X-1 High Speed Testing Vehicle'

2. swjr-swis with 1618.7 points using the 'SpeedFighter6'

3. tjsnh with 1462.5 points using the 'SpeedSingle'

Honorable Mentions

-

-

-

-

-

Single Engine

1. niic with 834.1 points using the 'Speedy MC Speeds'

2. Torquimedes with 497.4 points using the 'BeeGeez model A300'

Double-Engine Mach 2 

1. Eidahlil with 2048.5 points using the 'Screamy 4'

2. foamyesque with 1961 points using the 'Very Fast'

3. Eidahlil with 1934.4 points using the 'Screamy 2'

4. TheEpicSquared with 1633.3 points using the 'MOAR POWAH!!!' 

5. AeroGav with 1571 points using the 'Gonetoplaid'

Honorable Mentions

- TheEpicSquared with 1552.2 points using the 'Fasty McGoFast Mk.2'

- swjr-swis with 1526.4 points using the 'SpeedFighter-05'

- NotAnAimbot with 1418.9 points using the 'XF-4B'

- dragonaether with 1024 points using the 'Heat Dart'

-

Double-Engine

1. Torquimedes with 360 points using the 'BeeGeez model A807 "Hunchback"'

Single Engine (Cheats) Mach 2

1. red dragon aerospace with 1977 points using the 'Phoenix 3'

2. Darkowl57 with 1360.5 points using the 'M-13' 

Honorable Mentions

-

-

-

-

-

Single Engine (Cheats)

Double Engine (Cheats) Mach 2

Double Engine (Cheats)

Honorable Mentions

-

-

-

-

-

VTOL

1. Torquimedes with 360 points using the 'BeeGeez V906 Dreiflugelfledermaus (R, A, & T Variants)

Honorable Mentions

-

-

-

-

-

Edited by DarkOwl57

Ok, I dug out one of Jeb's experimental spaceplanes, stripped it of some non-essentials to get below the 75 part limit, removed the unrequired RCS and docking port, drained all the monoprop and oxidizer and half the LF to lighten the load... and got these results for a double engine, no cheat entry:

• Name: SpeedFighter-05 (yeah I'm horrible with names)
  • Top speed: 1470.2m/s  (1470.2 points)
  • Highest G-force endured: 51.2G  (51.2 points)
  • Parts: 64  (no points deducted for staying under the limit)
  • Cheats used: none  (5 points)
  • Total score: 1526.4 points.

Link to album: http://imgur.com/a/X5Ipw

Link to craft file: https://kerbalx.com/swjr-swis/SpeedFighter-05

Pics (see above album link for more):

Spoiler

XOJ06l3.png

kRWFLiI.png

tPZcmIp.png

Edited by swjr-swis
links

9 hours ago, max_creative said:

Too bad no mk2... At least I'm good at making things go really fast and overheat and explode and cause Kessler syndrome in the atmosphere. That actually happened. I am never going to attempt to do a midair docking at supersonic speeds...

I might do another challenge with mk.2 parts included

8 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

@DarkOwl57, you might want to update that leaderboard :) 

Done and dusted :wink:

@TheEpicSquared *Jeb at 1km/s* : "Yeah, so what? I eat 1km/s for breakfast. Want to Really impress me? Go 2 km/s!

Me: Challenge accepted.

*3 day, multiple reverted flights, and a few crashes*

Me: flip this.

2 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

*Jeb at 1km/s* : "Yeah, so what? I eat 1km/s for breakfast. Want to Really impress me? Go 2 km/s!

Me: Challenge accepted.

*3 day, multiple reverted flights, and a few crashes*

Me: flip this.

Well, to be fair: 2km/s is really just under orbital speeds, he's not asking that much :D.

I had already done an attempt with an earlier, less stripped variant (the b2; the entry I submitted above is the b3). The oxidizer tanks were still full and the RAPIERS were left to switch when out of air, and it dipped into space for a spell, but remained just short of going fully orbital. Then I noticed in the thread that you specifically asked for airbreathing only... so the space parts were further stripped and RAPIERs forced to stay in airbreathing mode, and the b3 was born.

To be clear, the pictures here are not submitted as an entry, it needed the RAPIERs to switch after all; just to show that higher scoring entries are definitely still possible (notice the 61.7G), so get cracking:

Spoiler

XNfS9Nb.png

xA813U7.png

rRFPaO6.png

SzBwoET.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.