What I did today instead of playing KSP

GoSlash27

BaP1-6_zps7u4qo99w.jpg

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/Bodge-a-Palooza

Just got word yesterday that my new toy arrived in DesMoines yesterday, It's a completely restored 1964 Vespa VBB scooter.
 Up at 2:30AM, 4 hours on the road with a car hauler, unboxing/ prep, and then we drove our new scooters all over creation! :D

I had a blast, but I'm exhausted.

Best,
-Slashy

20 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

BaP1-6_zps7u4qo99w.jpg

http://s52.photobucket.com/user/GoSlash27/slideshow/Bodge-a-Palooza

Just got word yesterday that my new toy arrived in DesMoines yesterday, It's a completely restored 1964 Vespa VBB scooter.
 Up at 2:30AM, 4 hours on the road with a car hauler, unboxing/ prep, and then we drove our new scooters all over creation! :D

Best,
-Slashy

Which one is you? That's pretty cool by the way :)

Aside from failing to dock... I bingewatched Stranger things :)

Edited by Spaceception

57 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

How fast is the scooter?

Well... they're still in their break-in period, so I haven't taken it over 60 km/h. They're supposed to top out around 105 km/h (around 65 mph).

37 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Neat. How much did that cost?

All told with shipping and handling, mine is just a little over $4,000.

Best,
-Slashy

20 hours ago, RainDreamer said:

Next, make a flying scooter in KSP

I'm going to do that sometime soon :D

EDIT: The video is edited, it will be on my YouTube channel tomorrow morning, (Australian time)

EDIT 2: The video is up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xul-RfxnXs0

Today, I went to the lecture "Food Security in a World Full of Infections", it was interesting, after it, there was FREE FOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!! i like free food, in case you couldn't tell.

The free food was tables with various stuff, I had lots of crackers with cheese, for some of them I had the crackers with cheese wrapped in ham, I also had about 5 glasses of orange juice :D

Edited by CAKE99

11 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Best,
-Slashy

Aw, man, awesome t-shirt! Reminds me of my 12-year-old X-Files t-shirts I had, which were once black but ended up looking like that (12-year-old both in the sense of my having bought them when I was around 12, and having gotten rid of them when they were around 12...)

That helmet your buddy's got pretty slick, too :)

Today I haven't done anything yet, but my Pilates instructor is back from vacation and I'm grateful for that, 'cause my back hurts...

That sounds a good price for a restored one, they fetch a fortune over here.  Now you need to watch the film Quadrophenia

Today, I went to the lecture "Food Security in a World Full of Infections", it was interesting, after it, there was FREE FOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!! i like free food, in case you couldn't tell.

how much of it was infected?

On 22.9.2016 at 2:49 AM, Spaceception said:

I bingewatched Stranger things :)

That was incredibly easy to do, not only because it weren't that many episodes, but also it was one wild ride that only allowed for quick bathroom breaks and nothing else. :)

Aside from mostly loosing in online shooters (R6S and BF4), I tried to keep up with some TV shows on Netfix - and the usual work, work ... still not king lottery millionaire. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I spent most of Christmas vacation with an aggravating cold, but was finally able to get to work hopping up my scooter for spring.

Spoiler

20161231_162605_zpsep3ecmqt.jpg

Bigger piston

20161231_162512_zpsn6hrgvgg.jpg

Bigger cylinder

20161231_160043_zpsfn1erz7n.jpg

Bigger carb

20161231_155933_zpso7zbfctt.jpg

20161231_155916_zpsyvahz3it.jpg

Ported 'n' matched intake

Also not shown is a factory new engine/ transmission, beefier clutch, and taller gearing.

Very Kerbal solution to upgrading an old scooter: Moar boosters! :D

This scooter should be quite the road warrior when I'm done with it.

Happy New Year,
-Slashy

5 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

I spent most of Christmas vacation with an aggravating cold, but was finally able to get to work hopping up my scooter for spring

Ugh, me too- 5 days off and I was completely useless for all of it, must've been something I caught from these forums :wink:

Working on the scooter looks like a ton of fun, I enjoy a bit of mechanical tinkering myself. The cool part is now you have an intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the beast which really gives a feeling of ownership and pride.

32 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Working on the scooter looks like a ton of fun, I enjoy a bit of mechanical tinkering myself. The cool part is now you have an intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the beast which really gives a feeling of ownership and pride.

Waxing_Kibbous,

I was always one of those kids that took all of his toys apart to see how they worked and I used to make my living as an auto mechanic so none of this is *really* new to me.

But these bikes are truly an engineering marvel. They're a cheap and simple form of mass transportation designed by an aerospace engineer who specialized in helicopters. It is designed to be rugged and lightweight, and every part fulfills multiple roles in very clever ways. The body is the frame. The flywheel is the alternator. The crankcase is the rear suspension... so on and so forth. It's a design that engineers would call "functionally elegant".

I had a good idea of how all the bits worked together before I started taking it apart, but it's neat to dig into it and see it all. And figuring out how to make it go faster :D I just wish I hadn't lost all of this time to illness.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

We did this today:

15822557_10207438969203324_6958069144483

Thing #2 (on the left) got his first rifle for Christmas, so today we finally got around to getting out and shooting it. Thing #1 (on the right) is posing with his favorite rifle, which just happens to be the rifle I learned to shoot with when I was five. They weren't thrilled about posing for a picture. But they were thrilled about going shooting. And having a snowball fight afterwards. And then going to In-N-Out for lunch after that. It was a good day.

On 1/3/2017 at 11:36 PM, TheSaint said:

We did this today:

15822557_10207438969203324_6958069144483

Thing #2 (on the left) got his first rifle for Christmas, so today we finally got around to getting out and shooting it. Thing #1 (on the right) is posing with his favorite rifle, which just happens to be the rifle I learned to shoot with when I was five. They weren't thrilled about posing for a picture. But they were thrilled about going shooting. And having a snowball fight afterwards. And then going to In-N-Out for lunch after that. It was a good day.

@TheSaint,

Interesting! I notice the left- handed bolt action. Are you a lefty, or was that one of your parents?

-Slashy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.