[1.12.x] EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats (with sound & multiple parachutes)

linuxgurugamer

On 10/9/2016 at 8:14 AM, tjsnh said:

Just tried it out with 1.2pre ,
bailing out via eva and space-to-detach , and deploying chute via right-click menu on the kerbal, results in landing speeds in excess of 50m/s.
I've played around a bit with different speeds when bailing out, altitudes, attitudes, etc - most times the "landing" is splatsville :-(    though the chutes themselves ARE deploying! :-)

Am I doing something wrong, or might it be a bug?

Ditto, in 1.2 release.  If you need logs, ask and ye shall recieve.

12 hours ago, tg626 said:

Ditto, in 1.2 release.  If you need logs, ask and ye shall recieve.

No need, you need the update which I'll be releasing this evening

10 hours ago, Squishydoo said:

can you do it where you have a "mass eject" wich ejects all kerbals from a part? (like budget paratroopers)????

It does, as long as you have enough ejectors mounted.  Right now, there are two ejector parts, one with a single ejection, and one with three.  If you have a part which contains more than one kerbal, then simply mount as many as you need

Also, you need to mount the ejectors on the parts which actually contain the kerbals.

Would it be possible to write a MM patch to add the eject module to all command pods? If this would work, could someone please help me with this? I'm not great with MM patches and I want to be able to keep my part counts as low as possible.

On ۱۳۹۵/۷/۱۹ ه‍.ش. at 11:49 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi although I've not actually tried it with the new version and 1.2, but back in the good old days this used to work quite well when applied by MM, or of course you can just copy the module from the ejection module cfg and paste it into the pod of your choice,   in English it's basically, if the part has a command module and it doesn't already have an ejection module add one.

edit

Do note however that this cfg will only work for previous working builds, the method of chute operation has been changed in order to make the chutes compatible with the latest ksp build and as such the patch below may not be applicable tomorrow .  

see comment next post..

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[ModuleKrEjectPilot]]:Final
{    
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKrEjectPilot
		ejectionForce = 100
		maxUses = 1
		baseCost = 666
		baseMass = 0.1

// Following are the values for the packed parachute

//how much drag it has when fully deployed
		deployedDrag = 30

//minimum air pressure for deployment
		minAirPressureToOpen = 0.04

//x and y scale for when in semi mode... so the actual parachute area in semi mode is semiDeployedFraction^2
		semiDeployedFraction = 0.25

//thought it would be nice if the chute was higher in semi mode
		semiDeployedHeight = 1.25

//time in seconds it takes to deploy, or to go from semi to full mode
		deployTime = 0.33

Soundfile = VanguardTechnologies/Sounds/ejectionSound
		Volume = 1

}
}

sir i used this patch, but take a look at this :

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at VanguardTechnologies.ModuleKrEjectPilot.getNumSeats () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at VanguardTechnologies.ModuleKrEjectPilot.GetModuleCost (Single defaultCost, ModifierStagingSituation mss) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.GetModuleCosts (Single defaultCost, ModifierStagingSituation sit) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ShipConstruct.SaveShip () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ShipConstruction.CreateBackup (.ShipConstruct ship) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FlightDriver.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

got this using MK1-2 with 3 kerbals, for making sure there was no problem, i tweaked that maxUses to be equal to 3. when you hit the fly button in VAB, the screen gets totally black and this is the first null reference that is being followed by some more null references from all sorts of things like scaterer etc, taking that patch out, everything works, adding the chute part with 3 kerbal support works like charm (I mean 3 puffs :p) not sure what is wrong there

Edited by Jiraiyah

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No need, you need the update which I'll be releasing this evening

It does, as long as you have enough ejectors mounted.  Right now, there are two ejector parts, one with a single ejection, and one with three.  If you have a part which contains more than one kerbal, then simply mount as many as you need

Also, you need to mount the ejectors on the parts which actually contain the kerbals.

it only ejects one at a time!

I tried it with the Mk 3 crew compartment, but it only ejects a single kerbal!

Just now, Squishydoo said:

it only ejects one at a time!

I tried it with the Mk 3 crew compartment, but it only ejects a single kerbal!

check few posts back, i think he said that it's not possible to eject all 3 at once because of some ksp mechanics

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sounds like you have the small ejector mounted, it only supports one.  Make sure you have the larger ejector mounted

read correctly, he says "One at a time" he wants all three kerbals to be ejected all at once !

or do you mean if he puts 3 of the smaller ones and hit abort, all 3 would jump out at the same time?

Edited by Jiraiyah

hmm isn't there any way to reduce the time they will accupy the docking port? i mean if you undock fast, it would look like they are ejecting one after another, and i noticed that there is almost 1 to 2 seconds between ejects, can't it be reduced?

1 hour ago, Jiraiyah said:

read correctly, he says "One at a time" he wants all three kerbals to be ejected all at once !

or do you mean if he puts 3 of the smaller ones and hit abort, all 3 would jump out at the same time?

yes, like that

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It is ambiguous.  First he says one at a time, then he says that it only ejects a single kerbal.

The mod uses existing docking ports,  and can only do one at a time because the port is blocked by a kerbal being in front of it

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It is ambiguous.  First he says one at a time, then he says that it only ejects a single kerbal.

The mod uses existing docking ports,  and can only do one at a time because the port is blocked by a kerbal being in front of it

sorry I'm so hard to understand

1 hour ago, Jiraiyah said:

hmm isn't there any way to reduce the time they will accupy the docking port? i mean if you undock fast, it would look like they are ejecting one after another, and i noticed that there is almost 1 to 2 seconds between ejects, can't it be reduced?

Unfortunately, no.  It has to do with the internals of KSP.  A kerbal is actually a vessel, which is created when going EVA.  KSP waits 1 2/3 seconds before it becomes available, at which time the kerbal is ejected.

10 minutes ago, Squishydoo said:

yes, like that

sorry I'm so hard to understand

Not a problem, I'm glad that you clarified.  

@linuxgurugamer hi sir

20 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

sir i used this patch, but take a look at this :

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at VanguardTechnologies.ModuleKrEjectPilot.getNumSeats () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at VanguardTechnologies.ModuleKrEjectPilot.GetModuleCost (Single defaultCost, ModifierStagingSituation mss) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.GetModuleCosts (Single defaultCost, ModifierStagingSituation sit) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ShipConstruct.SaveShip () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ShipConstruction.CreateBackup (.ShipConstruct ship) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FlightDriver.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

got this using MK1-2 with 3 kerbals, for making sure there was no problem, i tweaked that maxUses to be equal to 3. when you hit the fly button in VAB, the screen gets totally black and this is the first null reference that is being followed by some more null references from all sorts of things like scaterer etc, taking that patch out, everything works, adding the chute part with 3 kerbal support works like charm (I mean 3 puffs :p) not sure what is wrong there

still getting this problem in 0.1.6, is there anything wrong in that patch or do we need a fix for this? here is the patch :

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[ModuleKrEjectPilot]]:Final
{    
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKrEjectPilot
		ejectionForce = 100
		maxUses = 3
		baseCost = 666
		baseMass = 0.1

// Following are the values for the packed parachute

//how much drag it has when fully deployed
		deployedDrag = 30

//minimum air pressure for deployment
		minAirPressureToOpen = 0.04

//x and y scale for when in semi mode... so the actual parachute area in semi mode is semiDeployedFraction^2
		semiDeployedFraction = 0.25

//thought it would be nice if the chute was higher in semi mode
		semiDeployedHeight = 1.25

//time in seconds it takes to deploy, or to go from semi to full mode
		deployTime = 0.33

Soundfile = VanguardTechnologies/Sounds/ejectionSound
		Volume = 1

}
}

Edited by Jiraiyah

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Delete that patch.  It is not part of the mod.

I just tested it with the mod, it works perfectly.  

I can't be responsible for someone else's unofficial patch for my mod, especially when it wasn't tested with the release version of the mod

Nope fair point i'd not even tested it with the new versions, should be easy enough to put together a tidier version, but those errors seem a bit odd for a patch

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Nope fair point i'd not even tested it with the new versions, should be easy enough to put together a tidier version, but those errors seem a bit odd for a patch

All i can say is that it works without it.  Have fun figuring it out :D

Sorry, I'm under a time deadline, and get a bit grumpy when I have to troubleshoot problems unrelated to my work.

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

All i can say is that it works without it.  Have fun figuring it out :D

Sorry, I'm under a time deadline, and get a bit grumpy when I have to troubleshoot problems unrelated to my work.

BTW, I'm not saying it's perfect :-)

I certainly expect bugs, but need to be able to reproduce the bugs before being able to fix them.

I know it's not part of your mod and i know that your mod is working without the patch, what i think causes the problem is that it's adding it to the whole parts with command module in them including probe cores? @SpannerMonkey(smce) can you please help me find a proper patch for this to be added to every cabin part? that would help :wink: I'm new to MM else i would do it myself

10 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

I know it's not part of your mod and i know that your mod is working without the patch, what i think causes the problem is that it's adding it to the whole parts with command module in them including probe cores? @SpannerMonkey(smce) can you please help me find a proper patch for this to be added to every cabin part? that would help :wink: I'm new to MM else i would do it myself

I'll work out the tripping point over the weekend, and push comes to shove i know a man who does these in his sleep :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.