[STOCK] Mk3 Nose door

It took me a long time to actually get the design in place as my 32-bit pc cannot handle the amount of memory this game uses. Eventually I got stuck then asked for help and now here we are.

nosedoor_zpszocef4hm.jpg

This it what it looks like when deployed. And for actual use, I've attached a plane onto the end.

toKJkno.png

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the door mechanism when it opens. But as far as I know, the maximum width a craft can go through the nose door is about a Probodobodyne RoveMate with those tiny wheels attached to the side. It could be more, but thats pretty much it.

It can fly quite well considering the drag at the front so theres no problems with flight. However I have experienced issues with the mech which can be easily solved.

When opening the door, it can't close back up again: solved by putting a command pod on the rear end of the craft and by extending the airbrakes on the bottom.

Rover can't enter the craft: solved possibly by putting an airbrake on the intersection(?) I'm not really sure.

Link to download: https://kerbalx.com/Scientia1423/Nose-Door

Special thanks to everyone in this thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/147018-help-with-nose-door/

Here is a video, because why not? 

Edited by Scientia1423

2 hours ago, Chris_2 said:

Cool design. I might test it on one of my spaceplanes, but the problem that I've encountered with attaching stuff to the back of cockpit like this is that they're not shielded from airflow, so it will add a huge drag  :(

You might a little more fuel on that one. The game treats any part as drag, shielded or not (unless with a fairing? needs confirmation because RTGs will explode inside during re-entry), the parts will be as if they were in the open air.

2 minutes ago, Scientia1423 said:

You might a little more fuel on that one. The game treats any part as drag, shielded or not (unless with a fairing? needs confirmation because RTGs will explode inside during re-entry), the parts will be as if they were in the open air.

No, when putting things properly in the cargobay (eg. their 'root' is the node of the cargobay) they will not have drag. You can check that using the aerogui, and the effect is also very noticable when you're trying to build space planes; it's the difference of not being able to break the sound barrier or achieving 1400m/s on airbreathing.

1 minute ago, Chris_2 said:

No, when putting things properly in the cargobay (eg. their 'root' is the node of the cargobay) they will not have drag. You can check that using the aerogui, and the effect is also very noticable when you're trying to build space planes; it's the difference of not being able to break the sound barrier or achieving 1400m/s on airbreathing.

I'm talking about the parts attached to the cockpit, eg the wheels on the side.

I get it now.

After watching the vid that is.

So make a hinge and have the gear push the nose up....I am curious about closing in zero G.

I am putting this in the back of my head for future builds.

ME

EDIT:

Just watch your second vid. Interesting.

Edited by Martian Emigrant

14 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

I get it now.

After watching the vid that is.

So make a hing and have the gear oush the nose up....I am curious about closing in zero G.

I am putting this in the back of my head for future builds.

ME

EDIT:

Just watch your second vid. Interesting.

lol I haven't tested it on the mun or in space. Good luck tho

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.