Big part mods

Jim123

no one these days are making big part mods i've noticed like the guys who made nova punch,fasa,kw rocketry there awesome. but i'm feeling the errg to make my own big part mod so i don't get board and hopefully no one else will. if i make it it will be for RSS only and mostly contain engines,solar panels. i also see a lack of capsule mods wich is hard for me with limited chooses. ive been playing ksp since 0.20 and i've played a lot of mods and id really like to see a new one. i understand they take a long time but i think we've all played the part mods i menteid and i think its time for a change i may make a mod i may not but only time will tell.

The thing with big part mods is that they're time consuming to build and maintain, and sometimes people don't even need that many parts... it is a more economical solution to have different smaller, more focused mods that you can combine at your leisure. For example, if you specifically wanted engines and solar panels, you could install Near Future Solar, Cryogenic Engines, and SpaceY Heavy Lifters.

Of course, if you're in the Realism Overhaul business - aren't there already models for pretty much every realworld engine with flight history imaginable included in the RealFuels engine packs?

1 hour ago, Jim123 said:

no one these days are making big part mods i've noticed like the guys who made nova punch,fasa,kw rocketry there awesome. but i'm feeling the errg to make my own big part mod so i don't get board and hopefully no one else will. if i make it it will be for RSS only and mostly contain engines,solar panels. i also see a lack of capsule mods wich is hard for me with limited chooses. ive been playing ksp since 0.20 and i've played a lot of mods and id really like to see a new one. i understand they take a long time but i think we've all played the part mods i menteid and i think its time for a change i may make a mod i may not but only time will tell.

I myself have never own or operated a mod, but @Streetwind is probably right. Like, you just finished and released it to the public,

3%20days%20later.jpg

1.2 is released, and because we are enterprising people, we will most likely switch to 1.2, thus rendering your mod unplayable. If you want to make a mod, I would recommend basing it on the 1.2 pre-release, because the underlying code should be relatively the same, and lo behold! Your mod is playable. KERBTIP: Make a version for the next new major update (as long as it has a pre-release.)

3 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Well, we have @CobaltWolf's Bluedog Design Bureau, which has 220+ parts, and @Beale's Tantares with a lot of parts as well. As well as @hraban's CONTARES with tons of parts. Those are easily my favorite mods, but I do like visuals a lot as well.

Next release will have 296+ parts... aka, 5 more than stock. :wink:

EDIT: Actually, no. Stock 1.1.3 had 291. I haven't recounted but it's also pretty likely I'll pass it again soon if I haven't sooo....

Edited by CobaltWolf

@Jim123 You obviously haven't been looking very hard then. There are plenty of mods with several hundred parts. I have 463 parts in my mods alone so far, I'm sure there are mods with more. This isn't even counting the parts in the other mods I maintain(like FASA which has several hundred more). @Streetwind is right though, nobody wants to maintain a ridiculous amount of parts, it's so time consuming for me I am beginning to no longer have the time to even make new parts. I'd be willing to say that at around 500 parts, the time it takes to maintain and update the parts is longer than most people have available to actually produce new content.

Edited by raidernick

4 hours ago, raidernick said:

@Jim123 You obviously haven't been looking very hard then. There are plenty of mods with several hundred parts. I have 463 parts in my mods alone so far, I'm sure there are mods with more. This isn't even counting the parts in the other mods I maintain(like FASA which has several hundred more). @Streetwind is right though, nobody wants to maintain a ridiculous amount of parts, it's so time consuming for me I am beginning to no longer have the time to even make new parts. I'd be willing to say that at around 500 parts, the time it takes to maintain and update the parts is longer than most people have available to actually produce new content.

That's why I have a maintenance team to keep everything working. :wink:

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

That's why I have a maintenance team to keep everything working. :wink:

It's not like I haven't asked for help. I've been looking for stock config maintainers for 3 years. Nobody on this forum wants to help anyone, they just want to take take take.... more free stuff, more more more.... without giving anything back to the community, then complain about it.

Edited by raidernick

1 hour ago, raidernick said:

It's not like I haven't asked for help. I've been looking for stock config maintainers for 3 years. Nobody on this forum wants to help anyone, they just want to take take take.... more free stuff, more more more.... without giving anything back to the community, then complain about it.

That's not exactly fair. Most people don't understand how hard it is to maintain/make a mod. The one time I had a go at mod-making (a custom 1-piece landing-can+engine+Flt-200 based on an old RSR part...let's not talk about that), I figured out just how hard it is and that's about it. I think that most people simply don't understand how much work it is.

6 hours ago, raidernick said:

Indeed. I consider myself very fortunate to have found a sucker team to help me in their free time - and they even like the work that I hate!

45 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Indeed. I consider myself very fortunate to have found a sucker team to help me in their free time - and they even like the work that I hate!

I should start making that SRB thingy for you.

Although my 3D modelling skills leave a lot to be desired. (hint, cylinders are all I can do pretty much)

7 hours ago, raidernick said:

That not fair to say Nobody on this forum wants to help anyone there are alot of people that try to help but you are right on the always wanting more with out them try to do something  there self

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.