Kerbinside-like mod ideas

DunaManiac

10 hours ago, KerbalXcer said:

Hi everybody, sorry I was gone so long. I was busy playing RSS. I was thinking of making a ksp mod. Like Kerbinside, any ideas?

Due to the amount of boat mods popping up I think some ocean based locations would be great...

Maybe a coral reef under the water, some ship wrecks to discover and some ports to dock at...

Just some random ideas....

I personally love Kerbal Konstructs mods so I'm going to be happy with any new mod in this genre,

Good Luck and have fun...

Great Idea! I might consider making that part of my mods. But here is my proposal, I remove the rnd and in its place i put reasearch facilities all over kerbin, maybe some ocean based ones with places for docking. Then instead of just launching experimental parts from ksc, you can use those reasearch facilities. Any more ideas?

Edited by DunaManiac

8 hours ago, KerbalXcer said:

Great Idea! I might consider making that part of my mods. But here is my proposal, I remove the rnd and in its place i put reasearch facilities all over kerbin, maybe some ocean based ones with places for docking. Then instead of just launching experimental parts from ksc, you can use those reasearch facilities. Any more ideas?

I like that idea...

Maybe add a rocket sled, a tunnel to fly through with sensors inside it, an underwater research facility and my favorite a mystery goo farm/factory!!!

I might also make a little air race for show for you to fly around in with sandbox. And a Giant tunnel with a rocket airplane on it, and everything is destructble!!!!!!

Later...  Sorry I was going a little off-task there, I get a map of kerbin in the next post with my bases on it.

Edited by DunaManiac

and everything is destructible!!!!!!

I have no idea how you're going to do that... 

Sorry I was going a little off-task there, I get a map of kerbin in the next post with my bases on it.

Sounds like a good plan.

Just give me a call if you need/want some help and/or advice and I'll see what I can do.

19 minutes ago, KerbalXcer said:

Sorry, I don't have a nice picture of kerbin yet, like i said I would, but can you tell me any advice you have here, because i don't have a phone 

Ohh a get it now (it was just an expression when I said give me a call).

My first bit of advice would be to write down all your ideas put and put them in a list with your favorites at the top and your least favorite at the bottom.

Then I would chose where on Kerbin you want it to be (When doing this have Kerbinside installed so you don't accidently put it where some other building already is, as some people will want to play with both mods installed) and start making a rough model. Once you have the rough model in game and working replace it with a nicer model and give it to a tester to test. Now do the same on the next thing on the list.

(remember that fixing bugs is more important then releasing new stuff)

Once you have about 5 you can release it to the public (now that a lot more people are trying your mod be aware that they may find bugs that you tester couldn't).

I really recommend having a nice front page on the forums with lots of information and pictures.

A good idea for this sort of mod might be to put some sort of story behind each building...

I really recommend using Github as it will allow other people to help (if you let them) and is an easy way to keep track of issues/bugs.

This is only my opinion on how I would do it... I have never made a Kerbal Konstructs mod before.

(I hope you still find this useful in some way)

As far as my modding skills go I can only call myself a KSP Hacker, but I can always help with testing, making videos and/or editing photos.

If you have any questions ask and I'll see what I can do as I do know quite a bit about how KSP work

Oh and this may help...

Edited by BT Industries

I don't think that I can install kerbinside, because my computer is reeally old, and fizzes out a lot. I am planning to get a ps4.

1 hour ago, BT Industries said:

Ohh a get it now (it was just an expression when I said give me a call).

My first bit of advice would be to write down all your ideas put and put them in a list with your favorites at the top and your least favorite at the bottom.

Then I would chose where on Kerbin you want it to be (When doing this have Kerbinside installed so you don't accidently put it where some other building already is, as some people will want to play with both mods installed) and start making a rough model. Once you have the rough model in game and working replace it with a nicer model and give it to a tester to test. Now do the same on the next thing on the list.

(remember that fixing bugs is more important then releasing new stuff)

Once you have about 5 you can release it to the public (now that a lot more people are trying your mod be aware that they may find bugs that you tester couldn't).

I really recommend having a nice front page on the forums with lots of information and pictures.

A good idea for this sort of mod might be to put some sort of story behind each building...

I really recommend using Github as it will allow other people to help (if you let them) and is an easy way to keep track of issues/bugs.

This is only my opinion on how I would do it... I have never made a Kerbal Konstructs mod before.

(I hope you still find this useful in some way)

As far as my modding skills go I can only call myself a KSP Hacker, but I can always help with testing, making videos and/or editing photos.

If you have any questions ask and I'll see what I can do as I do know quite a bit about how KSP work

Oh and this may help...

Just asking, how would you make the model, I don't have any experience with making mods whatsoever.

Edited by DunaManiac

9 hours ago, KerbalXcer said:

I don't think that I can install kerbinside, because my computer is really old, and fizzes out a lot.

Well I'm sure KerbinSide has a map that you could use to check if the spot is available...

I managed to find this one but I think its out of date.

I am planning to get a ps4.

Hmmm...

KSP on a PS4 is different to the main game and you can not have mods on the PS4 version.

And it is very tricky making a mod without being able to test it what-so-ever (I had to to it once (don't ask it's complicated))

I have found a PS4 for $390 AUD here in australia which for (roughly) the same money you could make a computer which would have sufficient power to run KSP with the mods you want and will easily outperform the PS4 (and my current computer (sadly)) (or if you want to spend a little more for even more performance power consider the GTX 1060).

10 hours ago, KerbalXcer said:

Just asking, how would you make the model, I don't have any experience with making mods whatsoever.

Well I would suggest downloading Blender (a great free 3d modeling software) and watching a lot of tutorials until you have the hang of it.

You will find a lot of tutorials on the thread I mentioned before...

Hope this helps.

Hi Kerbal Konstructs buildings and objects are definitely one of the easiest KSP mods to make, Note I say Kerbal Konstructs  rather than Kerbinside as Kerbinside is an addon to Kerbal Konstructs  and is useless without it.

There are basically no rules to making KK models , apart from which way up it should be. and if you could avoid  loose edges and vertices then you've got a winner.       From a modders point of view it's quite neat to make mods for, as they last forever without any more than a cfg tweak every now and then, I've got models I made for the original Kerbtown (from which Kerbal Konstructs  was forked and developed) that still work, and have a pile of other mod makers models that have been long obsolete but continue to make Kerbin a much less boring place to play around.

A building is nothing more than a textured box, that's it, if you can make a box and texture all the faces different colors, then you can make a KK model, the only difference between a novice and an experienced mod maker is the quality of the end product and the time it's takes to get it in the game. A good and simple way to get a start is to go and find a paper model site that has downloadable images of buildings, these can make great texture bases for a novice. It's how i started , but it was buses and trains for another game, the paper model gives you and idea of the shapes and as mentioned the texture sheet  can be applied to your model and with a tweak here or there can be quite passable

2 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi Kerbal Konstructs buildings and objects are definitely one of the easiest KSP mods to make, Note I say Kerbal Konstructs  rather than Kerbinside as Kerbinside is an addon to Kerbal Konstructs  and is useless without it.

There are basically no rules to making KK models , apart from which way up it should be. and if you could avoid  loose edges and vertices then you've got a winner.       From a modders point of view it's quite neat to make mods for, as they last forever without any more than a cfg tweak every now and then, I've got models I made for the original Kerbtown (from which Kerbal Konstructs  was forked and developed) that still work, and have a pile of other mod makers models that have been long obsolete but continue to make Kerbin a much less boring place to play around.

A building is nothing more than a textured box, that's it, if you can make a box and texture all the faces different colors, then you can make a KK model, the only difference between a novice and an experienced mod maker is the quality of the end product and the time it's takes to get it in the game. A good and simple way to get a start is to go and find a paper model site that has downloadable images of buildings, these can make great texture bases for a novice. It's how i started , but it was buses and trains for another game, the paper model gives you and idea of the shapes and as mentioned the texture sheet  can be applied to your model and with a tweak here or there can be quite passable

Ahhh an expert!!!

Thank you!!!

27 minutes ago, KerbalXcer said:

But how do you make the textured box actually function as an RND

By setting it up properly in the cfg that goes with the model, all the game cares about is the cfg and collision box, it could be a potato and still function as a R n D dept if the cf is right.

Anything  more in depth than that and you are really looking to be using a plugin to supply new and alter existing building information( if it can be done in first place)

Thanks Everybody!! :wink: But one tiny request. Can you guys give me a link to one of texture sites? And, How are you supposed to remove the RND  (see my 2nd post)? 

???

I'm not sure if you can remove it ( @SpannerMonkey(smce) would probably know) 

If you can't, you could always stick a building on top of the R&D which would hide it from the player.

(hopefully you can though)

How do you insert images into posts anyone????

You can copy paste it from another site.

Upload to say Imgur and then copy it...

...and then click paste to put it in your post.

If that still doesn't work for you you can just give us the Imgur  link.

On 28/09/2016 at 11:05 PM, KerbalXcer said:

So spanner monkey, can I copy paste the cfg. Files for the rnd or do I have to do it manually? And if I had to do it manually how would I set it up? (Sorry about my question, I am a sticker for details.:blush:

I don't think that it would be possible to replace the actual building at KSC, as it's tied into the upgrade mechanism. Even if it is possible it would take a fairly hefty plugin to modify the building upgrade system, which brings up another point, is your building up-gradable? do you have 3 different but similar models to function at the differing phases of KSC development?  If not it's going to look a it odd  either at the first stage when you have a dirt field if you have this flashy R and D building or ;later when you have a shack of an R and D and a fully upgraded KSC

I really have no clue if you've got previous mod making or C# experience,  so it's difficult for me to suggest a suitable starting point. If you can code C# I'd advise taking a wander down to the plugin sub forum in addon development and find out if what you want to do can actually be done.  If you can't code C# you can either learn how to,  or start with the models, and just make a couple of installations that can be placed using KK at or near you chosen location and can have a cfg for a research facility

Below is an example of a cfg for a research base

Spoiler

STATIC
{
	mesh = SeaCentral.mu //the model
	module = Part
	static = true
	author = Spanner
	DefaultLaunchPadTransform = scpad1_spawn //the launch pad spawn not really needed for a basic research facilty
	title = DeepSeaIndustries
	category = Coastal
	cost = 0
	manufacturer = SM Marine
	description = Extra strange construction in the middle of nowhere, They do something with fish here, well thats the rumour, If you can find it the base does provide snacks on alternate wednsdays
	DefaultLaunchSiteLength = 20
	DefaultLaunchSiteWidth = 20
	name = DeepSeaIndustries_LaunchSite
	DefaultFacilityType = Research
	DefaultFacilityLength = 40  // max size the ship can be to launch from here
	DefaultFacilityWidth = 40// max size the ship can be to launch from here
	DefaultFacilityHeight = 16// max size the ship can be to launch from here
	DefaultFacilityMassCapacity = 0
	DefaultFacilityCraftCapacity = 4
	DefaultStaffMax = 8
	LqFMax = 1000
	OxFMax = 1000
	MoFMax = 1000
	ECMax = 100000
	DefaultProductionRateMax = 12
	OreMax = 0
	PrOreMax = 0
	DefaultScienceOMax = 12
	DefaultRepOMax = 0
	DefaultFundsOMax = 0
	keepConvex = 
	MODULE  // toggles landing pad lights animation
	{
		namespace = KerbalKonstructs
		name = AnimateOnClick
		collider = Button
		animationName = sCpadlights
	}
	Instances // an instance is a placed building. KK automatically writes this part when the building is placed and saved via the in game gui's
	{
		CelestialBody = Kerbin
		RadialPosition = -43957.27,-597483,33509.19
		Orientation = 0,1,0
		RadiusOffset = 29.65926
		RotationAngle = 0
		RefLatitude = -84.71462
		RefLongitude = 142.6813
		VisibilityRange = 25000
		Group = SouthPole
		GroupCenter = false
		RefCenter = -43568.93,-597564.3,33377.48
		LaunchSiteName = SouthPolarResearch
		LaunchPadTransform = scpad1_spawn
		LaunchSiteDescription = funky spacey research establishment only suitable for those who like the extreme desolation
		LaunchSiteType = ANY
		Category = Other
		LaunchSiteLength = 20
		LaunchSiteWidth = 20
		OpenCost = 0
		CloseValue = 0
		OpenCloseState = Open
		FacilityType = Research
		CustomInstance = True
		LaunchRefund = 0
		RecoveryFactor = 50
		RecoveryRange = 100000
	}
	Instances
	{
		CelestialBody = Kerbin
		RadialPosition = 396775.9,-23806.46,-449528.4
		Orientation = 0,1,0
		RadiusOffset = -0.004427329
		RotationAngle = 0
		RefLatitude = -2.273714
		RefLongitude = 311.4332
		VisibilityRange = 25000
		Group = DeepSeaIndustries_1
		GroupCenter = true
		RefCenter = 396775.9,-23806.46,-449528.4
		LaunchSiteName = DSI I remote facility
		LaunchPadTransform = scpad1_spawn
		LaunchSiteDescription = Extra strange construction in the middle of nowhere, They do something with fish here, well thats the rumour, If you can find it, the base does provide snacks on alternate wednsdays
		LaunchSiteType = SPH
		Category = Helipad
		LaunchSiteLength = 20
		LaunchSiteWidth = 20
		OpenCost = 0
		CloseValue = 0
		OpenCloseState = Open
		FacilityType = Research
		CustomInstance = True
		LaunchRefund = 0
		RecoveryFactor = 50
		RecoveryRange = 100000
	}
}

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

On 26/09/2016 at 3:38 PM, KerbalXcer said:

I don't think that I can install kerbinside, because my computer is reeally old, and fizzes out a lot. I am planning to get a ps4.

Wait.... what? Seriously??? You offer to make a mod ... a HARD mod.... and now, you say you don't know how and anyhow, your computer is too old....

seriously?????? That was a few minutes of my life read this thread that I will never get back,.... :(

45 minutes ago, KerbalXcer said:

Well, ksp is still playable, and this is just my first mod,

Ask spanner monkey he said that this is an easy sort mod.

if you use korperius, then it'll be real easy, since the mod lets you make planets, then you just have to make the mod dependent on it. (I guess. I have only read this, since I know zip about mod making.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.