HSP: Mission complete.

Hotaru

Boring stuff:

Spoiler

Up to now I've been kind of enjoying calculating delta-v by hand, but the prospect of manually working out the delta-v of complicated drop-tank setups like the Daring program is using was not fun, so I've finally decided to install KER.

I'm also giving some thought to starting to use part mods after I've achieved my original goal and conquered the stock game to my satisfaction. To that end I've started installing (but not yet using) some part mods, mostly to see if they have a noticeable performance impact. So far I've put in RLA Stockalike, KSPX, and Atomic Age with no ill effects; I'll probably add a few more later (definitely KIS/KAS, probably SpaceY and OPT, possibly some mods for surface ops like Pathfinder or Planetary Base Systems). I'm still going to refrain from actually using any of the new parts until I've done at least a "flags and footprints" mission everywhere with stock parts. I might also think about installing some Kopernicus planets that don't interfere with the stock system.

TL;DR: KER.

p4O5wbK.jpg?1

Daring 3 underway.

Bravado 5 return from Gilly.

Spoiler

NQtTF1i.jpg?1

Having completing a full survey of Eve's satellite Gilly, Bravado 5 returned safely to Kerbin.

KBxfuU2.jpg?1

Brevity II: anomaly hunting on the Mun.

Spoiler

GqfctxX.jpg?1

The crew of Base Constancy--Lodald, Deblian, Kathelyn, and Jenra--took Brevity II on an expedition to the Mun's Northern Basin to collect data and search for anomalies.

Spoiler: random anomaly.

Spoiler

4onKTlP.jpg?1

On the way, they revisited the monolith previously discovered by the crew of Intrepidity 13; on close inspection under Brevity's headlights, it appears to be made of a sort of green marble material.

GOpfPD9.jpg?2

Commander Lodald observed the Mun's shadow on Kerbin while the rover was stopped for the night.

VSH1avf.jpg?1

After a drive of about 250 kilometers (OOC: Some manual but mostly with BV), Brevity II arrived at the location of an anomaly detected from orbit which an earlier landing (coincidentally also commanded by Lodald) had failed to locate.

Spoiler: non-random anomaly.

Spoiler

uUaLUfi.jpg?1

After much searching over difficult terrain (and several passes overhead by station Persistence in an unsuccessful effort to narrow down the anomaly's location), the crew discovered and marked another monolith--the third so far found on the Mun and the fifth overall (not counting the replica near KSC). 

Exploration of Duna.

Spoiler

Lg29Vg0.jpg?1

Hayberta, Jochelle, Wenmy, and Tambe took LC-2 down from station Permanence to explore Duna's Western Canyon.

B3TZEzC.jpg?1

They landed safely, collected samples and science data, and returned to the station.

Daring 2: another test flight.

Spoiler

Although Daring 1 had been successful, the engineers at KSC had concerns about the spacecraft's stability during reentry as well as its tendency to overheat. In response to these issues, they created the Daring Block II reentry vehicle, which replaces the original solid heat shield and fairing with an inflatable one and no fairing. In addition to being safer, the Block II is also considerably lighter and, conveniently, fits the 2.5-meter form factor.

VD4KGAN.jpg?1

Daring 2, an unkermanned test flight of the new vehicle, was launched on a similar profile to Daring 1 by a Brillig IV rocket.

6784GLH.jpg?1

The spacecraft completed a flyby of the Mun, then used its remaining fuel to perform a reentry at interplanetary speed.

paCSpZM.jpg?1

The inflatable heat shield behaved extremely well, and the spacecraft showed no signs of instability or overheating. Satisfied, the engineers finally declared the system kerman-rated and ready for its first operational use.

Daring 3: mission to nowhere Dres and a new launch vehicle.

Spoiler

The KSC administration is determined to prove beyond doubt that Dres actually exists; as such, it is the first objective of Project Daring, the next generation of kermanned interplanetary exploration. Originally planned to be built around the Brillig rocket system, when the administration realized just how many launches it would take to assemble a Daring spacecraft on orbit, they decided to approve a new, larger launch vehicle to support the program.

yMeubIc.jpg?1

Primarily a demonstration flight of the new rocket, the first flight of the Vorpal II successfully orbited Super Aqualung 5.

LSrghKt.jpg?1

With the Vorpal II launch vehicle successfully proven, a second one launched the cumbersome Daring 3 propulsion module and reentry vehicle, along with the crew: commander P3 Geneming, pilot P2 Janbe, flight engineers E3 Lizdrien and E0 Daphthy, and scientists S4 Ziggy, S2 Alvis, and S1 Gledia.

a1WTtFK.jpg?1

The propulsion module was launched mostly empty; a series of Super Aqualung flights were required to fuel it up. Super Aqualung 5, already in orbit, and Super Aqualung 6, launched by another Vorpal II, rendezvoused with it and began the process.

yqOzoqX.jpg?1

The orbital module was launched by a smaller Vorpal I rocket.

2YZ1AVR.jpg?1

A Brillig IV launched Aqualung 25, the prototype Block II Aqualung, featuring a new aerospike engine in place of the old T45. It assembled the orbital module and attached it to the main Daring 3 spacecraft.

Ai0wkGc.jpg?1

Two more tanker flights followed: Super Aqualung 7...

urPiWbg.jpg?1

...and Super Aqualung 8.

zYXChhI.jpg?1

The eighth and final Daring 3 assembly flight was the two-kerman Dres landing craft, LLC-1, which went up on a Brillig III.

Cw2YSSO.jpg?1

With the spacecraft fully assembled and fueled up, the crew prepared for departure.

BRyhLyK.jpg?1

Daring 3 performed two burns to raise its apoapsis before the final departure maneuver to send the spacecraft beyond the Second Cosmic Speed and on its way to an encounter with Dres in just over a year.

7 hours ago, NotAgain said:

May the assorted gods of aerodynamics forgive you for this one...

It's actually not as bad as it looks, as evidenced by fact that the rocket didn't need tail fins. The Brillig III/Defiance shuttlepod (which does need fins) is actually quite a lot less aerodynamic.

Plus the ascent profile I've been using--straight up till 100 m/s, tilt ten or fifteen degrees downrange, then hold prograde the rest of the way--allows me to get away with practically anything, since the rocket spends almost the entire ascent at zero AoA and therefore never gets much of a chance to flip.

Since you're considering starting to use parts mods, a good couple to start with are Fuel Tanks Plus and Color Coded Cannisters. Together they vastly expand your potential options for fuel tanks without adding too many parts or unbalancing the game, and allow for huge improvements in spacecraft appearances.

16 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Fuel Tanks Plus and Color Coded Cannisters.

Good suggestions, I may go for both of those. I do like @NecroBones's color switching options, especially on the large SpaceY tankage. One issue though is Interstellar Fuel Switch, which has the unfortunate side effect of magically refilling all fuel tanks on existing spacecraft when installed mid-game. I may be able to find a workaround for that, however.

1 minute ago, Hotaru said:

Good suggestions, I may go for both of those. I do like @NecroBones's color switching options, especially on the large SpaceY tankage. One issue though is Interstellar Fuel Switch, which has the unfortunate side effect of magically refilling all fuel tanks on existing spacecraft when installed mid-game. I may be able to find a workaround for that, however.

I think they work with Firespitter (fuel switch) or B9 Part Switch too. There's a few mods which specifically require IFS, but I'm pretty sure FTP and CCC work with the others too.

Edited by eloquentJane

4 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

I think they work with Firespitter (fuel switch) or B9 Part Switch too.

I believe the tank-refilling thing is a problem common to all fuel-switching mods (I first encountered it with Stock Fuel Switch when I tried to install it in my old 1.0.2 save), although I will definitely investigate. I think if I really wanted to install one, I could edit the save file to fix the fuel levels in a few active vehicles, and just ignore the issue for old ones no longer in use. It's not a prohibitive issue, just an annoying one.

PS. Although it's possible that I could remove fuel switch configs for stock tankage. That might prevent it messing with existing vessels, and I could just use the new tanks on new ones.

Edited by Hotaru

7 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

Although it's possible that I could remove fuel switch configs for stock tankage.

Not really an option for CCC because it uses stock tanks, and you can't install FTP without CCC because it uses the same textures. It might be possible to find the texture-switching configs and separate them from the fuel-switching configs though, or to find a way around the tank-refilling problem without removing fuel-switching options, but I don't know about that.

2 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Not really an option for CCC because it uses stock tanks,

Ah, I forgot about that. I kind of dislike the idea of existing spacecraft inexplicably changing appearance, so maybe I'll just have to save FTP/CCC for my next career. I will investigate at some point though; there may be a way around that.

CCC doesn't actually change the stock textures all that much. The stock tanks which are modified retain almost-stock textures by default, they're just kind of cleaned up a bit (the most drastic change is the smallest stock 1.25m tank, which loses the black outlining but keeps the same overall pattern). So you can take a stock vehicle and load it up with CCC and it'll still look about as good as it did before.

Also, if you were considering SpaceY, that one also requires a texture switching mod (if you don't have one the textures all display at once and the parts turn into a mess of z-fighting).

Edited by eloquentJane

4 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

The stock tanks which are modified retain almost-stock textures by default, they're just kind of cleaned up a bit

Ah, in that case maybe it will still be an option. And texture switching shouldn't be an issue (I already have Firespitter.dll for texture switching on Nebula Decals), it's only fuel switching I'm concerned about. I will investigate.

2 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

And texture switching shouldn't be an issue (I already have Firespitter.dll for texture switching on Nebula Decals), it's only fuel switching I'm concerned about. I will investigate.

If you have firespitter then the textures of CCC, FTP, and SpaceY will work fine. You won't be able to switch fuels without a fuel-switching mod, but most of the tanks are LFO tanks by default, and there's a few LF tanks designed for nuclear propulsion (I don't particularly like how they look usually but I'm sure there are uses for them).

Edited by eloquentJane

Just now, eloquentJane said:

If you have firespitter then the textures of CCC, FTP, and SpaceY will work fine.

Yep, I just now noticed that in the FTP readme. I'm going to (temporarily) install them now and see what happens.

@eloquentJane So I gave CCC/FTP a try & it looks like they work fine as long as I delete the fuel switch config from CCC. I'm going to uninstall them again for now, since I'd like to keep everything, including the parts' appearances, stock until I've achieved my original goal, but I'll definitely put them back once I get to that point. Thanks again for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, astroheiko said:

@Hotaru

I was bored and I just clicked on your story.

Oh my God - these pictures. Breathtakingly beautiful. I have not yet read a word, I am only amazed. I have to look at the beginning of what mods you use. I want to have THAT too.

Really great stuff

Greetings

Thanks!

I haven't actually posted a complete mod list in a while. The main visual mods are SVE, SVT, Engine Lighting, Real Plume Stock, Texture Replacer, Planetshine, and Distant Object Enhancement. The post-processing effects are Gem FX, which I usually don't have running while actually playing (it's kind of distracting) but toggle on for screenshots; I think it gives them a nice photographic sort of feel.

Boring stuff:

Spoiler

I am honestly getting severely tired of working around stupid stock limitations. It was a fun challenge for a while but it's getting old fast. The lack of any useful system for transferring resources between landed vessels is especially annoying; I've disabled "fuel transfer obeys crossfeed rules" (which is pretty glitchy anyway, no amount of connecting fuel lines made it possible to make the Daring spacecraft refuelable) so claw tankers are now an option, but we really could do with either KAS-type connectable pipes or USI-type resource distribution. The lack of decent-sized solids, nukes, jets, or ions is also a problem.

In spite of this, I set out to conquer the stock system with stock parts and I won't really be satisfied until I've done it. I'm now officially hurrying to get to the point where I can declare victory and start using part mods. I figure three more Daring missions--one to Vall, Bop, and Pol, and one each to Moho and Eeloo--will cross off the last of the "easy" destinations (small, airless bodies that are basically just a question of delta-v), leaving only Laythe, Eve, Tylo and Jool, which will probably each get dedicated missions.

In the meantime I've put in a couple more mods to make life slightly less annoying: Persistent Rotation, mostly because I think it looks nicer, and Trajectories to allow more precise reentries.

I'm also on the lookout for planet mods to add once I've finished the stock system. Anything that moves or replaces stock planets is out for obvious reasons (including OPM, which moves Eeloo to Sarnus orbit and which I'm kind of saving for my next career anyway), and I'd prefer something that adds destinations beyond the orbit of Jool rather than in the inner system. If anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

TL;DR: Trajectories, Persistent Rotation, getting bored of stock stupidity, looking for suggestions on planet mods.

Py7yoDD.jpg?1

Starbus Valerie on Minmus.

Starbus S-200 Dauntless and Lucidity 2: a new SSTO.

Spoiler

While most of the engineering team was working on the Daring project, a few of them hadn't forgotten the abortive SSTO program that produced a single prototype several years ago. They realized that the KS-25, developed for the Vorpal rocket, would also be an excellent powerplant for a large spaceplane.

p1kXdUR.jpg?1

The result was the H-107, a prototype unkermanned cargo SSTO powered by four turboramjets and two KS-25s.

BujKSyK.jpg?1

While the jets proved to be somewhat underpowered, the spacecraft successfully achieved orbit.

zJMVVtL.jpg?1

The engineers were pleased to discover that the vehicle had over a thousand m/s worth of fuel left on orbit, and that it was eminently stable through reentry and landing.

ZwiVW0R.jpg?1

A test flight of the six-engine H-107B proved to still be slightly underpowered; in response, the engineers rolled out the seven-engine H-107C. Rechristened with the production designation Starbus S-200 Dauntless, the spacecraft lifted off on the type's first operational mission--to send unkermanned lander Lucidity 2 on its way to Tylo.

Xfxvk2S.jpg?1

Lucidity 2 was successfully deployed into an elliptical orbit; it will arrive at Jool in just under two years.

n0dGJX1.jpg?1

Although the S-200 landed safely, the engineers made the worrying discovery that it is extremely unstable when drained of fuel. Although they are confident they can fix the problem, the administration remains reluctant to trust the spacecraft with passengers.

Brevity II: munar sightseeing.

Spoiler

The crew of Base Constancy took the Brevity II rover on a 600-kilometer round trip to a survey site on the far side of the Mun.

Spoiler: anomaly (visible from orbit).

Spoiler

NCOpuA4.jpg?1

On the way, they stopped to investigate the anomaly which had been the objective of the original Brevity before its breakdown. It proved to be a massive rock arch.

pzocmxG.jpg?1

Near the survey site, the crew also visits the fifteen-year-old Discretion 4, the first unkermanned probe to land on the Mun.

Starbus S-300 Valiance: a new heavy shuttlecraft. 

Spoiler

Although the Defiance shuttlepod is more than adequate for crew rotations, the administration wanted a way to put more than four tourists in orbit on a single launch. With the notional Starbus S-210 spaceplane (the passenger version of the S-200) still very much on the drawing board, the engineers proposed an alternative built around the Vorpal rocket.

17RWXZ9.jpg?1

The result is the S-300 Valiance. The prototype, Valiance 1, was launched unkermanned on a Vorpal I rocket.

b5seQFF.jpg?1

It achieved orbit successfully and completed a safe reentry using the inflatable heat shield originally designed for the Daring reentry vehicle.

GnylL46.jpg?1

With the system proven, another S-300 lifted off as Hotaru Star Lines Flight 5, connecting with Starbus Valerie for a run to the Mun and Minmus. The flight crew was P2 Gemliana, E1 Statha, and P0 Madette; the passengers were Luding, Rogas, Lanlong, Jorrie, Helxy, Tomuki, Lemfen, and Jatha.

SvQwwds.jpg?1

HSL-5 met Starbus Valerie at Kerbin station Immutability.

R6WdiO0.jpg?1

Valerie made landings on the Mun and Minmus before returning to Immutability.

z6BZ5Cr.jpg?1

Thanks to new reentry guidance software (OOC: Trajectories mod), HSL-5 touched down within two kilometers of KSC.

Crew rotations.

Spoiler

Defiance 20 launched a new crew (P4 Melxie, E1 Corrick, S4 Agalinne, S2 Eririne) to Mun station Persistence, returning with the previous crew. Defiance 21 (piloted by P2 Gemliana and P0 Asene) launched the first crew (P2 Lemlock, E0 Gergun, S2 Valcee, S2 Addan) to Kerbin station Immutability, which is now operational and will ultimately replace the obsolete Patience II.

7h1oVHF.jpg?1

The crew of Duna station Permanence boarded Starbus Elizabeth and departed for Kerbin, leaving the station temporarily unkermanned while it awaits the arrival of the next crew.

CDDxLeg.jpg?1

A Brillig IV launched Starbus Phoebe, the second S-101 built for the Duna-Kerbin run. Defiance 22 (flight crew P1 Virlina and P0 Gregger) delivered the second crew (P2 Gemliana, E2 Phoberta, S2 Thomptrey, S1 Erigee) of station Permanence to the new Starbus, which departed for Duna.

Daring 3 arrival at Dres.

Spoiler

YHhaJZT.jpg?1

After a year-long transit (including a 900 m/s plane change maneuver in kerbolar orbit), Daring 3 approached Dres. All the remaining drop tanks and almost half of the fuel in the core were expended during the half-hour-long arrival burn, but the spacecraft successfully captured into orbit. The crew reports that Dres is definitely visible and registering on their instruments.

879oV0W.jpg?1

Mission commander Geneming (veteran of the first kermanned interplanetary mission, Bravado 1) and scientist Gledia boarded the landing craft for the first descent to the surface.

A759poe.jpg?1

Gledia: first kerman on Dres!

i2mHgrN.jpg?1

1 hour ago, Hotaru said:

I'm also on the lookout for planet mods to add once I've finished the stock system. Anything that moves or replaces stock planets is out for obvious reasons (including OPM, which moves Eeloo to Sarnus orbit and which I'm kind of saving for my next career anyway), and I'd prefer something that adds destinations beyond the orbit of Jool rather than in the inner system. If anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I'm going to recommend the entirity of the Xen's planet packs. Moons of Duna adds rings to Duna, so that may infringe upon 'moves or replaces stock planets'. The others are cool.

I can also recommend adding Kerbal Komets, to add some nice comets.

@NotAgain Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely use Kerbal Komets (had meant to install it for this update in fact, but forgot). As for Xen's packs I don't know about the Duna, Eve, or Eeloo ones but I will probably go for the two standalone systems.

Boring stuff: Turned on the Scatterer water effects since it turns out they don't have as heavy a performance hit as I somehow thought they did. Very cool.

MZzAiHq.jpg?1

Space station Patience II with Defiance 25 docked, the final kermanned mission to the station.

Daring 3: exploration of Dres.

Spoiler

KkMay3E.jpg?1

After Geneming and Gledia planted the obligatory flag and collected science data from the initial landing site in the lowlands, mission control decided the lander had good enough fuel margins for two suborbital hops to nearby biomes.

6mibGB7.jpg?1

So the two kerbonauts boarded the spacecraft and made a short flight to a nearby ridge...

9FbjBtD.jpg?1

...and another to a small area of highlands before returning to the Daring 3 orbiter.

ip5unl9.jpg?1

Although there was some concern among the KSC engineers about the orbiter's fuel margins for returning to Kerbin, they ultimately decided enough could be spared for one more trip to the surface. So the landing craft was refueled and the crew picked a site that would permit two more short biome hops after landing.

Dp3snNF.jpg?1

Pilot Janbe and scientist Ziggy descended to a landing in one of Dres's impact craters...

4ywzb5C.jpg?1

...made a short hop to collect data from the crater's ejecta...

lSlmnU9.jpg?1

...and visited the nearby Midlands.

1cgQ3IO.jpg?1

They then returned to the orbiter. The lander was drained of fuel and left, deactivated and powered down, in Dres orbit, while the main Daring 3 spacecraft prepared for departure.

evPf7CG.jpg?1

A relatively modest burn put the spacecraft on a slow transfer back to Kerbin. It will arrive in just under two years, which should give the crew plenty of time to process the considerable amount of data gathered by the six landings through the lab. The administration remains optimistic that, despite being the most expensive single operation the Space Program has ever undertaken, Daring 3 may yet return enough data to turn a profit.

Space station ops.

Spoiler

jCMx6NY.jpg?1

Starbus Elizabeth returned from Duna with the first crew of station Permanence; they were brought back to Kerbin aboard Defiance 23 (flight crew P1 Jate and E1 Statha).

S960eaF.jpg?1

Defiance 24 (flight crew P1 Vasya and P1 Gregger) delivered the next crew of Mun base Constancy (P3 Hayberta, E2 Joelin, S3 Wenmy, S3 Tambe) via station Persistence; landing craft LC-1 took them down to the surface and returned with the previous crew.

QaUIXIH.jpg?1

While LC-1 was on the surface, Persistence itself was moved from its original polar orbit to a more convenient equatorial one; access to the Mun's entire surface is no longer a priority thanks to the global range of the Brevity II rover.

3BpZF6n.jpg?1

Starbus Phoebe arrived at Duna station Permanence; the crew reactivated the station and resumed its regular operations.

AD04eeE.jpg?1

Defiance 25 (flight crew P3 Lodald and P1 Madette) retrieved Expedition Patience 13, the final mission to Patience II. This was Lodald's departing view of the Space Program's first permanent orbital outpost. Although deactivated, the station will remain in orbit for the time being; eventually it will be disassembled and returned to Kerbin.

P3jt2Xn.jpg?1

Defiance 26 (flight crew P1 Virlina and P1 Jate) retrieved the last crew of Minmus station Endurance I; this was Virlina's final view of the station. The departure of Defiance 26 marks the first time in over a decade that no kerman has been in Minmus's sphere of influence. Like Patience II, Endurance I will remain in Minmus orbit until it can be dismantled and returned to Kerbin; it will eventually be replaced by the prototype second-generation torus station.

Lucidity 2 at Tylo.

Spoiler

AqinBS3.jpg?1

After a year-and-a-half transfer, Lucidity 2 arrived in the Joolian system. An initial flyby of Tylo, a capture maneuver on the dark side of Jool, and distant passes by Laythe and Vall set it on course to enter Tylo orbit.

nwFvwuw.jpg?1

It landed successfully (though not entirely intact; it ran out of fuel a few seconds before touchdown and the drop destroyed its engine and rear thrust plate), returning the first images and scientific data from the surface of Jool's largest satellite.

Bravado 6 return from Jool.

Spoiler

vnHov7W.jpg?1

Two years after leaving Jool and more than three years after its launch, Bravado 6 approached Kerbin.

lVHPOzF.jpg?1

A final burn of the spacecraft's T45 engine reduced the spacecraft's velocity by 1400 meters per second before the service module was jettisoned and the crew prepared for reentry in the command module.

Ns3MuPK.jpg?1

Bravado 6 landed safely, recovering an enormous amount of science data (350,000 spacebucks' worth) and bringing Project Bravado, the Space Program's first series of kermanned interplanetary missions, to a close.

eEzbZdJ.jpg?1

Laselle, Carena, Burmin: first kermen to explore the outer kerbolar system!

@NotAgain According to the Astronaut Complex I have 38 kerbals available and 23 assigned. I have fund penalties set at 10%, which keeps hiring costs civilized. They still aren't exactly cheap, I think my last one was pushing 200,000 funds, but seeing as I've got over ten million funds in the bank right now it's not much of a concern. Five labs (Station Persistence and Base Constancy at the Mun, station Immutability at Kerbin, station Permanence at Duna, and the one on Daring 3) all turning out science, plus regular science returns and contract funding mean I'm practically in sandbox mode by this point. 

I'm thinking once I finish the stock landings everywhere project I'll install KR&D and start using science points to upgrade my parts instead of just converting them all to cash. I may also give myself a budget cut; right now funding is at 50%, I might reduce it to 10 or 20%. Although I'm not sure whether that affects the science to funds strategy or not.

The current date is year 17, day 184.

PS. Make that 41 available, I just hired a couple (they're actually running at 143,000 apiece right now). Working on kerbonaut class number seven, which happens to contain two of the best kerbal names I've ever encountered: Addon Kerman and Munvan Kerman. I expect the total to level out around 60; I plan to have them retire once they've been active for 20 years or so.

Edited by Hotaru

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

Planet packs? 

OPM! OPM! OPM! 

(Come on, people! Chant with me!)

@Hotaru probably has enough on his/her/its plate at this point, no need to add another dozen or so celestials that the program has to visit.

By the way, I haven't read much, just the first page.

P.S. - @Hotaru, I might need to steal that "There/Back Again" table from your OP...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.