[1.3] Planetary Domes

Thrimm

Are you tired of your bases being small and uninspired? Have you ever wanted to create a realistically looking colony on Duna or Mun, but didn't want to install part heavy mods that break the stock style?

If the answer to at least one question is yes, Planetary Domes is a mod for you.

Planetary Domes is a collection of parts that is intended to use with either stock parts or another base building/colonization mod. It adds a number of transparent, empty domes and matching floors, where you can attach functional base components (like crew cabins, laboratories, ISRU converters etc). Connect your domes together through airlocks and tunnels to get an awesome looking base!

Here is a release video (but don't take it too seriously):

And a review done by Kottabos:

DOWNLOAD: On SpaceDock

LICENSE: GPLv3

FUTURE PLANS: Proper IVAs, more dome types, Kerbalism support, MKS compatibility/functionality.

KNOWN ISSUES: Large bases on uneven terrain don't cope well with timewarp, as they end up partially in the ground.

This is a very first mod that I made in any game and actually my first ever 3D modeling project. I have absolutely zero skills in either modeling or modding, so please be mindful that there might be some rough edges in this mod and don't throw sharp objects at me. That said, I hope you'll enjoy the mod!

Edited by Thrimm

Just add an airlock to the dome of your choice (airlocks have asymmetrical nodes for proper clipping, so it's easy to spot right orientation), then add a tunnel, another airlock and next dome. Floors can be attached at the bottom of the domes, but that's user preference, if you want extra nodes to be there.

Currently to assemble them off Kerbin you will either need KIS/KAS or Extraplanetary Launchpads. Unless you want to send the whole base in one piece that is.

31 minutes ago, Artfact said:

Incredible!:) Would love Kerbalism integration.^^

Edit: Also, is it possible to disable/change the '3' on the airlocks as to individualise them?

As for now, not really unless you edit the texture. As I mentioned I am really a newbie and absolutely clueless about many possible functions one can include in KSP. That said, I'm trying to add a texture switch component for these parts, mainly airlocks and floor panels. Once I figure that out I'll post an update.

18 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Pardon me. I don't think my words came out right. :( Anyway I'm quite surprised, pleasantly surprised that you made a mod, and such a fitting one too. :) And the timing was epic imo.

I'm glad you like it! If you have any suggestions or encounter any issues do let me know!

I have a few ideas for how to get around this but the easiest would be to design the domes with arrays of thuds (or wheels) that decouple at the end, and a reusable control module with a claw, fuel tank and sufficient SAS. Or for really advanced players, a powerful enough DIY skycrane or a stack of USI skycranes. Sadly I'm a little busy and haven't gotten to actually trying the mod yet. testing it now. That said... I'd like to suggest an interlock part or two with Docking Port magnetic powers to help with modularity without KIS/KAS. One at least that goes flush with the tunnels.

This one is lower priority as I don't want to rush you or request anything major like inflatables... Domes with cutaways for tunnel ends (and a filler part for unused cutaways) would be nice too. Currently crew have to go through an airlock and its two hatches at every junction of a dome and tunnel.

I'm quite happy with what I see anyway. This makes my plans for glass *redacted* even sweeter. :D

Edited by JadeOfMaar

42 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I have a few ideas for how to get around this but the easiest would be to design the domes with arrays of thuds (or wheels) that decouple at the end, and a reusable control module with a claw, fuel tank and sufficient SAS. Or for really advanced players, a powerful enough DIY skycrane or a stack of USI skycranes. Sadly I'm a little busy and haven't gotten to actually trying the mod yet. testing it now. That said... I'd like to suggest an interlock part or two with Docking Port magnetic powers to help with modularity without KIS/KAS. One at least that goes flush with the tunnels.

This one is lower priority as I don't want to rush you or request anything major like inflatables... Domes with cutaways for tunnel ends (and a filler part for unused cutaways) would be nice too. Currently crew have to go through an airlock and its two hatches at every junction of a dome and tunnel.

I'm quite happy with what I see anyway. This makes my plans for glass *redacted* even sweeter. :D

I like the filler part idea! Initially I wanted the airlocks to be hollow as well (but animated) but then I was thinking that all the domes would have to be cut out even when you wouldn't need that spot. I don't know why I didn't think about simply putting a cap on it... for simple domes that's probably easy, it might be slightly trickier for hexagonal ones. I'll see what I can do.

You can move the crew from one airlock to another, there is no need to manually go through all of them. The base is considered a single vessel, so crew transfer works just fine.

Is there a storage dome? OSE Interplanetary Workshop's worst shortcoming is the small KIS containers limiting size of the parts one may manufacture. A large dome where you could construct, say, a large MK3 fuselage, or a Kickback would solve this - all it needs is having the KIS inventory module, and the Workshop will drop complete items into it.

2 hours ago, Beeso3 said:

In your trailer, I saw a kerbal without a helmet inside your base on Duna. Is that a feature of this, provided we have texture replacer, or does it need a duna air hack?

I also wondered about this and assumed it was cinematic mod trickery!  It would be nice to know if that would work. Though to remove helmets :)

It would also be great for a feature part if there was an 'airlock' or door like Kerbal Tubes' docking iris to be able to drive rovers into a tube or dome.

Thoughts on how domes could be passable: looking at SSTU's way of having one part with options or KPBS' corridor nodes that change shape and colliders when items are placed on the attchment nodes, could you build this in with the iris style door, when it is attached the dome section changes shape allowing for it to be seamless.  Possibly you could use their .dlls to achieve the desired results.

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit
Adding in promised links.

1 hour ago, Beeso3 said:

In your trailer, I saw a kerbal without a helmet inside your base on Duna. Is that a feature of this, provided we have texture replacer, or does it need a duna air hack?

Well, it was a trickery of sorts. You obviously need Texture Replacer. I then tweaked the config files by removing the min pressure for IVA suits as well as added Duna and other bodies to ones with breathable atmosphere. I wish there was a way around that but maybe some plugin wizard will figure it out. Not me at my current stage :)

55 minutes ago, Thrimm said:

Well, it was a trickery of sorts. You obviously need Texture Replacer. I then tweaked the config files by removing the min pressure for IVA suits as well as added Duna and other bodies to ones with breathable atmosphere. I wish there was a way around that but maybe some plugin wizard will figure it out. Not me at my current stage :)

I just had another thought, but this also might need some plugin .dll magic from somewhere.  Could a similar system that stock uses to 'occlude' parts inside fairings, or storage bays, or cargo bays, be used to suggest that anything within the collider area of a dome or tunnel be specified as 'atmosphere breathable'. I might add this as a request to the Texture Replacer people and link that back here as nodoubt a few modders could utilise this to there advantage.

This would be especially useful if you made the domes like the SSTU option, selecting types of airlocks.  When an airlock is 'open' that would then remove the breathable toggle, (like when cargo bays are open and they don't occlude the air flow of the internals), so that texture replacer then puts the helmets back on the kerbals with the dome.

Peace.

EDIT - asked a query in the Texture Replacer mod forum.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/96851-11-texturereplacer-2413-442016/&page=58

Edited by theJesuit
Adding in promised links again

25 minutes ago, Fr8monkey said:

Beautiful!  Is there plans to tie this in to other mods that does bases like Planetary Bases or the like?

Yes! I do plan to make adapter airlocks that will allow easy connection to other base components. Although the intended use of these domes is just an extra addon to your existing base, as they do nothing by themselves.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.