For the past couple months, I've been on a KSP-only binge.  However, I've been slowly adding and updating certain older games I enjoyed in the past, but would like to play again on a newer Win10 system - the original Deus Ex, the Freespace games (Descent: Freespace - The Great War, its expansion, Silent Threat, and Freespace 2), Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, The Baldur's Gate series.  I'll eventually get around to playing them again, but for now, I have a more pressing question.

My favorite game of all time, of ANY genre, is the original Deus Ex.  Its sequel, Deus Ex: Invisible War, was... a disappointment.  The third installment, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, was decent, and barely a DX game.  I've been sitting on the wall debating as to whether or not to get the fourth game, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.  I see a lot of good reviews from places like PC Gamer, MetaCritic, and various other places, but I also see a lot of bad reviews from players (admittedly, most of them are complaining about the in-game microtransaction store, losing their Day One extra content after saving or dying (this is by design - single use stuff only)).  I've checked out the Eidos Montreal/Squeenix forums, but it's hard to get a good read on opinions there, as most of the people I might have trusted years ago (from back when it was the Ion Storm forums) aren't posting there anymore, or rarely.

If anyone here has played Mankin Divided - and especially if you've also played the original - I'd really like an honest opinion about it.  I'd like to have the complete collection, but not if I'm never going to play it.  I don't care about the microtransactions (I'll never use them), and I've seen issues people have brought up about DirectX 12 (ha!  Like my three-year-old system can do that), which I shouldn't have to worry about, since I only have a GTX 780 Ti, and graphics quality is not my major concern.  I still play the original Deus Ex and it looks like crap compared to modern games.  I'm more concerned with gameplay (especially compared to the original), story (especially compared to the original, and does it reference stuff coming up in the timeline, since MD is a prequel?), and characters (are there any worth caring about?).

So, given my list of qualifiers, does anyone have an opinion?

Software Inc - Taking a bit of a chance on this Early Access title, but pretty impressed with what it does so far.  So far I've developed my own OS, and I'm busy developing software and games to run on top of it while slowly expanding my office space.  Not the best UI at present, but otherwise seems like it's heading in a good direction.

God Eater Resurrection - Pretty damn decent Monster Hunter clone, got it bundled with its sequel for €20 during the Christmas sale and sunk a ridiculous amount of time into it over the holiday.

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen - Been chipping away at this one here and there, it's pretty decent.

I've been playing a lot of FTL: Faster Than Light lately, and have run into interesting situations. Pictures are supposedly worth a thousand words, so pictures are located in a certain spoiler located nearby.

Spoiler

GPtFbVq.jpg

When my ship and the flagship destroy each other with their last shots... Luckily it registered as a win..

H2ZrpUA.jpg

When a station catches fire partly because their fire suppression system isn't working, and I put out the fire, they give me their fire suppression system :P.

7KMC86p.jpg

An OP ship by the endgame, that tore the normal mode flagship to shreds. It has the Supershield (it starts with 5 extra non-rechargeable shield bars at each location), Rock Armor (a chance of resisting hull damage), Pre-Ignitor (weapons start ready to fire, stacks nicely with Vulcans by reducing charge by one shot), two Vulcans (charge up after each shot, fire extremely quickly after a few shots), 4 bars of shields, and enough engine power to dodge around 1/2 the shots fired at it.

Edited by LaytheDragon

On 1/7/2017 at 6:39 PM, MaxxQ said:

My favorite game of all time, of ANY genre, is the original Deus Ex.  Its sequel, Deus Ex: Invisible War, was... a disappointment.  The third installment, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, was decent, and barely a DX game.  I've been sitting on the wall debating as to whether or not to get the fourth game, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.  I see a lot of good reviews from places like PC Gamer, MetaCritic, and various other places, but I also see a lot of bad reviews from players (admittedly, most of them are complaining about the in-game microtransaction store, losing their Day One extra content after saving or dying (this is by design - single use stuff only)).  I've checked out the Eidos Montreal/Squeenix forums, but it's hard to get a good read on opinions there, as most of the people I might have trusted years ago (from back when it was the Ion Storm forums) aren't posting there anymore, or rarely.

Been playing that pretty heavily for the last two weeks (41 hours according to Steam) and I love it. Lots of references to the original and you really get the feeling that you're "playing history in the making". It may not be as player-driven as the original but the story feels really deep if you remember the original. I've done a completely non-violent (well, except for knocking people out) playthrough and I am quite happy with how it's gone compared to HR. Hoping the ending is more satisfying than HR, even IW felt like it handled the ending better. The micro-transactions can be safely ignored (aside from the annoying screens to remove notifications, which aren't even that bad, just don't pick up the triangle codes).

I would definitely place IW at the bottom of the list, fun and a fairly solid game but ultimately unsatisfying in terms of the DX franchise. HR next due to, as you point out, not feeling like part of canon, but it segues nicely into MD, which feels like a proper prequel to the original.

Just my opinion, and a friend bought me the game so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm really liking it; much better than HR.

Edited by regex

Spoiler

^video // abzû, it's impressive what they did with art approach that make the environnement the main caracters instead of the diver itself furthermore flora and fauna motion is simply astounding, and also amount of said flora and fauna, even if short really a title i enjoy a lot

as a diver long ago, at some points in the exploration i really thought, wow i know thoose fishs and was really feeling like diving back in the days

all in all it's been a while i not played a title and thinking afterward , wow they rlly rlly rlly did a great job on many many layers ( narraration, various metaphor, arts choice, tech side ...)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Just completed a playthrough of Endless Legend. If you are into 4X strategy, its one of the best titles out there (if you get all the DLCs that is...), graphic design is especially good IMO.

Started on Prison Architect again, its been a while and there have been many updates since I last played. Its a great Early-Access success story, I think I got it roughly the same time I got KSP actually...

On 1/15/2017 at 6:57 PM, LaytheDragon said:

When a station catches fire partly because their fire suppression system isn't working, and I put out the fire, they give me their fire suppression system :P.

"Hey maybe you can get more use out of this than we did."

I too have been playing some FTL as of late, and I also bought the "Contingency Plan" DLC for Invisible, Inc. It adds a lot of agents, programs, and items and also tacks on a cool mission in the middle of your run to steal a temporary storage for your AI program. I was hoping it'd also have an alternate ending where you use the info you get in that extra mission to stymie the "big bad" at the end but sadly, no.

I'm also itching to play both Darkest Dungeon (DLC coming soon!) and Just Cause 3 again.

I was playing hide-and-seek in Counter-Strike with my friends yesterday, it's fun. Still gotta beat DOOM, and I need to play more Overwatch, same with Factorio once some of my friends get it, multiplayer makes games like that a lot better. Most of the time when I'm not playing games, though, I'll just be chatting in Discord or looking at the forums/Reddit thinking of something to play. Might get back into KSP once Skylab is out for BDB, I wanna go Eyes Turned Skyward's US missions for a playthough and post them here.

not playing much lately, aside if you consider superthreading various forum and internet place a game (boring is what we do :3 yeah i m gonna do that as well :3)

might finish to stick to the records in spacechem,or one designed for short play session like mini metro or ftl or one finger death punch grandmaster map to finish as well but this require regular pratice and well a bit old with low fps and reflex now still it relax, invisible or plague inc. they added a new disease btw lately (vampire it seem)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Hi all

Promise not to laugh at Orc but I have recently been playing:

Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire (expansion pack of SMAC)

Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Less recently (but in 2017):

Anno 2070

Neverwinter Nigths

Startopia

and wait for it:

Wasteland (yes the original with 256colors 320x200 graphics).

Take care,

Regards,

Orc