Orbit Portal Showroom [Show me your OPT Spaceplanes!]

JadeOfMaar

37 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

How the hell do you launch such monsters!? or do you assemble them in orbit... I know you don't Hyperedit them there :wink:

I normally don't want to HyperEdit something into orbit for a serious game. I would build this on a moon with EPL / SimpleConstruction...or wrap it with SpaceY lifters and launch straight up slow and steady, but I hardly get to make progress in any serious game (I'm either modding or not in a good position to open KSP) so I said to hell with it, I want to actually make it to the end of a playthrough, and indeed, I HyperEdit this into orbit. :/ This is a grand tour so it's basically an in-and-out or "Just do it!" thing.

The next megaship I launch will legit come out of a construction base.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

The KIS Deliverance, for lack of a better name like maybe Kraken's Eagle. An interplanetary drone meant to deliver small and vital payloads like KIS containers or super-rare resources-- just enough to prevent an operation from ceasing or running into (more) difficulty.

It's not the first of my spaceplanes that can set portions of the atmosphere on fire... But it is the first where having something on it explode (droptanks) is part of normal operation. Can't call it an SSTO. If the droptanks survive the ascent, they get dumped at some point anyway.

70MHRks.jpg

jYgH6wV.jpg 9g5ooeK.jpg hTEz0ks.jpg 0rhCQT5.jpg

Built this a few hours ago, based on a design from way back which was built with Stail class parts. The forward J Service Bay contains Karbonite mining gear. I'd much rather have a tiny rover there. The Mk2 cargo section is currently empty but that doesn't mean the body is very flimsy. It's strutted well. This plane pitches easily, even from the runway for quick liftoff with no fear of tail-strikes. Its yaw is funny but liveable.

This is in a refreshed tweaking/modding install of KSP just for resource scanner testing atm so no LS parts here.

s3KaCbk.jpg

RALLMyB.jpg

Hello guys

This is my last OPT: a seaplane SSTO for Laythe

392729screenshot382.png

This 924T SSTO is mainly made for sea take off and landing. 4 J61 and 4 MRS Quad Nuke engines. Running only on Liquidfuel. More than 6000DV left in orbit.

Clearance is short under back Starwaster J 61engines, back wings and water or ground, so rotation must be very accurate and rotation rate must be slow. It can take of from Kerbin runway, but i would not try landing or take off on rough surfaces.

Sides cockpit and back wings vernors help for sea steering a low speed. Vernors on top and under cockpit and also at the rear of the wings help former some space maneuver, but mainly fro re-entry on Radial position which is the guaranty of a perfect re-entry.

628836screenshot384.png

The gears allow taxi on rough surfaces, the idea being to be able to beach on Laythe island to mine some ore if we don't have enough Liquid fuel for return.

240309screenshot383.png

The cargo hold contains science stuff accessible via ladders: SC 9001Sciences Jr, Mysterious Goo, Thermoter, barometer, etc...and a J mobil Lab P3 can help with experiment. Theres also ore tanks, ore converters and 6 big drills. A reckon satellite, equipped with various scanners and detectors is docked inside the hold and will be released when in orbit around Laythe.

182499screenshot386.png

in flight

Spoiler

953883screenshot373.png

Take off

Spoiler

132359screenshot366.png

Climb

Spoiler

936004screenshot372.png

Acceleration to Mach 6

Spoiler

486090screenshot374.png

4 MRS Quad Nuke engine run on Liquidfuel when in space

Spoiler

987720screenshot376.png

Flipping on Radial position for re-entry

Spoiler

883586screenshot377.png

Landing on sea

Spoiler

667986screenshot381.png

Edited by gilflo

Well here is one of my designs. Haven't come up with a name yet, but it's a pretty good Shuttle nonetheless.

She uses two rocket boosters to get airborne but does the trick quite well.

3RXgBoC.jpg

PhEChD7.jpg

m6WysYo.jpg

And here she is in flight..... :)

plSslcA.jpg

3w7x4V8.jpg

EwYPN0O.jpg

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I agree. Your design is awesome too.

One question. After the J-K adapter, do I see Avatar class bay and tanks? Their textures are suddenly different.

Oh basically it's the normal K sized fuselage parts, but also a bunch of wing connectors on the sides of the fuselage after which the main wing is attached.

Here's a better view of it from the side.....

WwesUy2.jpg

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The question of Avatar parts was aimed at @gilflo 

@carss I've been curious in any case. What does the rest of the stack look like? The stack that ends with the J-92 Shcramjets?

What do you mean by stack? Do you mean parts, components, or anything else? Sorry didn't know this lol :P 

1 hour ago, carss said:

What do you mean by stack?

A stack is any column of parts, like the cockpit to the cargo bay to the linear aerospike, and each LFO booster on your lifter (from the nose cone to the orange tank to the Mammoth engine). There's the core stack then there's any radial stack (attached to the side of a previous stack)

18 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

A stack is any column of parts, like the cockpit to the cargo bay to the linear aerospike, and each LFO booster on your lifter (from the nose cone to the orange tank to the Mammoth engine). There's the core stack then there's any radial stack (attached to the side of a previous stack)

Oh ok, in that case well it's all one fuselage from the cockpit to the back with 3 exhausts. 2 of which are the Schramjets, and the middle one is (I forgot what it was called :P) but it's a bar like exhaust which works in space which I used for the space travel and thrust.

@carss The center engine is the J Linear Aerospike, an LFO engine.

And my next entry into the showroom, a semi-replica of a prominent KSP streamer's heavy SSTO, the "Zues, Type C" by @RocketPCGaming rated for 50 tons to 150x150 km. Its original engine cluster is: Each nacelle has a Rapier surrounded by 6 more with their own Precooler for their mount, and uses all 14 engines at all times (essentially, emulating a single pair of 3.75m engines). Compared to that, this engine setup seems pretty silly, especially in its looks, but is efficient in that only these 8 are necessary, and all engines are on at all times, and there's still plenty dV available after orbital insertion.

This plane is also carrying 60 tons, not 50 tons, and I finally made use of the OPT Mk3 cockpit.

e2gZgBl.jpg

HDN9OoA.jpg yGnkES6.jpg EP9924o.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I made a VentureStar (the NASA one), after mentioning the VentureStar (scifi, ISV) in a stream chat. I made it with J-class parts first but the nerfed J Aerospike killed it, and mixing main and legacy hull parts is ugly. So I remade it entirely in Stail-class and launched vertically, as it's supposed to. It's tight on fuel, making 84km orbit (possibly up to 90km) with a 3 ton payload, then it landed like an utter dream.

jOkKesR.jpg

plxm9uj.jpg kin20wj.jpg

On 14/06/2017 at 4:11 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

The question of Avatar parts was aimed at @gilflo 

@carss I've been curious in any case. What does the rest of the stack look like? The stack that ends with the J-92 Shcramjets?

My problem is the following

The avatar cargo bay is better resistant to temperature and I want to adapt a lab in the plane. The lab fit the J cockpit, not the Avatar cockpit...But maybe K cargo bay could fit in place of Avatar...I don't know

here is a new design with drills in the floating tank and bigger converter in central cargo

708884screenshot388.png

958232screenshot389.png

Du to JadeofMaar observation i reworked my Laythe OPT HydroShuttle SSTO. it's a Liquidfuel only SSTO. I like it because it's simpler and cheaper.

794143screenshot394.png

It's a Stail cockpit, with a lab And Avatar Tanks and cargo holds. The cargo contains a reckon satellite to scan and analyse Laythe and some science stuff (Science Jr, Mysterious Goo...) with a big ISRU Ore Converter. Each side cargo in the floating tanks holds 2 big drillers with Ore tank It's powered by 2 rear 3.30m big J-61 Starwaster Turbo Ramjet and 2 front 2.25m  J-61. 4 Nuclear MRS Quad engines (3m at the rear and 2.5m at the front) allowed interplanetary fights

Du to its inertia, his 956T baby is better piloted in the atmosphere with Atmospheric autopilot which is fly-by-wire autopilot. It needs to be establish on its landing path early with the right rate of descent and the right speed (3m/s and 130-140m/s) to ditch properly in the sea.

It can also take off from Kerbin runway, and land from sea to rough land in order to drill.

4 vertical fin leave it very stable on orbital climb. The explorer OPT aircraft on the top is for Laythe exploration. 

615048screenshot400.png

For take off, i launch the big OPT Hydroshuttle full throttle on sea. The small OPT explorer J61 is also full Throttle. Around 100m/s 2 small decouplers free the small OPT explorer, shutting down the shuttle engines and the OPT explorer take off running a few meters on the HdroShuttle deck while the HydroShuttle comes to a stop, engines being shutdown.

With the explorer bitted on its back total weight for take off to Laythe is 1001.7T

Here is the cargo stuff

Spoiler

689681screenshot395.png

Side cockpit vernors and side rear wings vernors allows short radius turn in the sea with the help of asymmetrical thrust.

Upper and lower cockpit vernors and rear wing vernors allowed Cobra position for easy re-entry

After take off 50° pitch to 10000m

Spoiler

298215screenshot391.png

and then 10° lowering progressively to 0° pitch gives easy orbital climb, Temperature is not a factor..

Spoiler

221136screenshot392.png

Spoiler

862341screenshot393.png

Now it seems to be ready to fly to Laythe and explore it. I am just going to try to design on a little plane i would dock un der the cockpit, before the cargo hold. It could help for exploration...

Edited by gilflo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.