[WIP] [1.0] Moonprint Industries - Horizontal Landing Vehicle with integrated MAV and Cargo

DocBones

So things are moving along nicely with the new model. I opened another thread for the new one, you can find it HERE.

New update:

THe original HLV was giving me all sorts of CoM trouble. I am working on a fix. In the meantime I made a new model. Available for download on Spacedock. The engines are not yet finished, but the RK-Z-146 Solo engine from contares fits perfectly, you might want to adjust the thrust in the CFG to 300Kn. CoM is spot on and horizontal landing is stable. Set you mav engines to 60% and you're on your way or use TCA. The cargo requires KIS.

X6gExD3.png

Xd8RATp.png

Update:

For those of you waiting for this to release. Unfortunately I have to work for a living......or so I'm told:) However as of Friday I am on vacation so I will have time to complete the project. It will be an ongoing project as I want to build or adapt a launcher to go with it. I will release the lander first though. What I can say is that you will need TCA to get this thing into orbit as the COM is slightly offset thus TCA and a multi engine First and second stage will be needed to keep your rocket flying with the correct end toward space. I have managed to build the Aerosehell and it is stable during Duna reentry, I also added RCS thrusters to the aeroshell, MAV second stage and MAV. The lander itself is very stable during decent and landing. The project has not been forgotten or turned to vaporware. I hope to release before X-mas. 

So my first try at a mod for KSP. Here is my take on the HLV (Horizontal Landing Vehicle) designed by NASA back in the 90's. (I think it had another name:))

What is this?

An all in one solution for trips to Duna and beyond, carrying both cargo and an integrated MAV. No more sending the MAV and your cargo or rover in seperate missions.

At the moment the parts are not textured (still working on that), I will try and get that finished ASAP. I have included some basic renders of the complete design.

The parts:

Landing frame - with integrated landing gear and rcs tanks.

Bow tanks and engines - Bow tanks and engine cluster

MAV  - MAV main engine cluster, second stage and ascent pod (integrated ladder and exit platform) Mav engine cluster is 3,5m so any 3,5m pod can be used.

RCS thrusters - Powerfull RCS thrusters to keep this beast straight during landing.

Hexacargo - Hexcargo containers for all your base equipment and other needs.

MAV decoupler - Decoupler arm for the MAV (decouples MAV from landing frame)

Coming soon:

Rover ramp - Ramp for existing rover configurations

Single cargo pods with integrated engine clusters.

Any suggestions are welcome.

qtDKB1i.png BceOdbg.png

MXgXVkA.png3HIMamt.png

Aaaand, the aeroshell....

Wql1GR4.png y43s1HN.png

Ok, so a few screenshots of this beast in action. (before you ask....YES! I do have mechjeb installed, my flying skills are dubious to say the least:))

7OsgrWO.png

And some texturing. I am trying to find the time to finish the project. So things are going kinda slow:(

FXK1AHJ.pngbf1fXbp.png

Edited by DocBones

1 minute ago, Tristonwilson12 said:

very nice, will you be making the "Shell" section that was on the plans from constellation? Or even Something like Copernicus?

k5tTRby.png

Hi, Triston,

In short, yes, however in my initial tests the aeroshell tends to take on a bullet like attitude when going through the atmosphere. I will have to find a way to balance it so it assums a more "traditional" position:)

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, RaendyLeBeau said:

beautiful and innovative ! its great, i am Looking forward to the progress. 

Thanks for the kind words, have you tried it? As the project moves on it gets more and more invloved, I find myself trying to avoid building more parts. I suggest that you follow the other thread though I have moved there. Here is the link.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1266/Konstellation HLV

5 hours ago, DocBones said:

Thanks for the kind words, have you tried it? As the project moves on it gets more and more invloved, I find myself trying to avoid building more parts. I suggest that you follow the other thread though I have moved there. Here is the link.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1266/Konstellation HLV

thnx mate, I only looked briefly. I find it really good - the textures could certainly be more detailed. I find Very cool the custom sounds and FX. go ahead ! 

cheers !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.