Highest point in the Kerbolar system

Flamingo

Where is the highest point in the Kerbolar system? 
Have you ever been there?

And why aren't there a REALLY high point like Olympus Mons. It shouldnt be 21.000 Km high, but in a kerbal scale, maybe 14.000. Think about how awesome it would be to sit on the highest planet, and just have a view over everything.

Omylpus Mons for your pleasure
bXSfBeA.jpg

Edited by Flamingo

Nice picture. We have it in KSP too...

F9ynrTs.png

The thing is, Olympus Mons is so wide that you wouldn't even realise you were on a huge volcano if you stood at its summit. Extreme terrain can be found (and is more impressive) on the smaller bodies, such as Minmus, Gilly, Pol or Bop.

The highest terrain in the absolute is on Eve, if I recall correctly.

Arguably, a more striking feature on a larger body would be something like Valles Marineris.

rxb07c8.png

Edited by UnusualAttitude

2 hours ago, UnusualAttitude said:

Nice picture. We have it in KSP too...

The thing is, Olympus Mons is so wide that you wouldn't even realise you were on a huge volcano if you stood at its summit. Extreme terrain can be found (and is more impressive) on the smaller bodies, such as Minmus, Gilly, Pol or Bop.

The highest terrain in the absolute is on Eve, if I recall correctly.

Arguably, a more striking feature on a larger body would be something like Valles Marineris.

Oh, well Duna isn't the planet where I've been the most, actually only been there twice. So I've never seen this, but definitely going there. :D

57 minutes ago, Yellowburn10 said:

Actually, the highest point (above sea level) on any celestial body is on Bop, at over 21,000m. Eve's highest is about 7500m.

Wow, i would never have guessed that it was 21.000m, and even on Bop, such a small satellite. 

3 hours ago, UnusualAttitude said:

Valles Marineris is still much wider than it's tall. I heard once that if you stood in the middle at the widest part (Melas Chasma, I think), you can't see the canyon walls because they're over the horizon. So you still couldn't tell you were at a geologic feature. Wow.

13 hours ago, Flamingo said:

Oh, well Duna isn't the planet where I've been the most, actually only been there twice. So I've never seen this, but definitely going there. :D

Wow, i would never have guessed that it was 21.000m, and even on Bop, such a small satellite. 

That also depends on where given body has its zero defined. Though I think Eve only goes some 8km deep.

I really must visit Bop soon, and not just land and plant a flag, but build an actual, serious outpost.

On 9/29/2016 at 4:30 PM, Flamingo said:

Where is the highest point in the Kerbolar system? 
Have you ever been there?

And why aren't there a REALLY high point like Olympus Mons. It shouldnt be 21.000 Km high, but in a kerbal scale, maybe 14.000. Think about how awesome it would be to sit on the highest planet, and just have a view over everything.

I would also like to point out that a "Kerbal Scale" olympus mons would only be about 2.1 Km high instead of 21, as planets are scaled fown by about a factor of 10. If the top of one of the mountains on Kerbin doesn't give you "a view over everything", you wouldn't get this from the real life Olympus Mons.

For my "Kerbalized" Mars version, the scale decreased by about 10x (slightly more IIRC, most versions are the same radius as Duna), but the top of Olympus Mons is only about 9km (I forget, I can't test ti now as I'm on 1.2 pre-release, and I won't work on it any more until kopernicus updates) - so itds width is less than 1/10th, and its height is just less than 1/2, so the relative vertical exaggeration should be about 5x.

I did make one version of it (that moves to where duna was, and has duna orbit it as a moon) thats 450km instead of 320 km and I didn't change the height, so in that case the vertical exaggeration is only about 3.5x

49 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

I would also like to point out that a "Kerbal Scale" olympus mons would only be about 2.1 Km high instead of 21, as planets are scaled fown by about a factor of 10. If the top of one of the mountains on Kerbin doesn't give you "a view over everything", you wouldn't get this from the real life Olympus Mons.

For my "Kerbalized" Mars version, the scale decreased by about 10x (slightly more IIRC, most versions are the same radius as Duna), but the top of Olympus Mons is only about 9km (I forget, I can't test ti now as I'm on 1.2 pre-release, and I won't work on it any more until kopernicus updates) - so itds width is less than 1/10th, and its height is just less than 1/2, so the relative vertical exaggeration should be about 5x.

I did make one version of it (that moves to where duna was, and has duna orbit it as a moon) thats 450km instead of 320 km and I didn't change the height, so in that case the vertical exaggeration is only about 3.5x

Haha thats right, 2.1 km, how pathetic. I know that Olympus Mons wouldn't give much view, since its so big, but i did not mean an exact copy, just a big mountain(volcano) like it.

It's not the highest point anywhere, but Dres has this really narrow but really deep canyon. Also there used to be this planet mod (Krags Planet Factory) which had a Duna sized planet with an atmosphere as dense as Eve's, and it had a huge mountain that had its summit at the edge of the atmosphere (nearly in space).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.