Mod idea: The Gold standard - Now Released

Dewar

Edit:

The mod is now released, you can check for it below:

Old Post:

Today I tried my hand at modding for the first time and was wondering if anyone was interested in my little creation.

Basically I added gold to the game as a way to jump start your space program during the mid-game cash grind. 

Gold is much heavier than ore, and can be found in smaller amounts on most planets (5% chance of a tiny vein on kerbin). Gold has its own storage containers, scanners, and drills that unlock relatively early. If you can get to minmis and back with 20 tons of gold, grats you've made some cash! Note on returning: land near or on the space center for best returns.

Is there any interest in this? And has it been done before!?

Edited by Dewar

I don't remember seeing anything focused like this before - though several mods have high-value resources that you can mine and return to Kerbin if you want to.  (Notably UKS.)  Usually though those resources have some other value as well.

It's not something I'm particularly interested at the moment - I play science mode, so I don't have to worry about funding - but it doesn't sound like a bad idea, and could be useful.

Thanks for the replys everyone.

@DaleTheGoat I agree with the idea for sure. Anything that promotes more space-side infrastructure seems like a good idea to me. 

Here's a question, do you think I should have stand-alone parts? Or should I just incorporate the gold tech into current drills and scanners? 

I am interested in learning how to make my own textures anyway. This mod is basically a learning project for me.

cheers

1 minute ago, Dewar said:

Thanks for the replys everyone.

@DaleTheGoat I agree with the idea for sure. Anything that promotes more space-side infrastructure seems like a good idea to me. 

Here's a question, do you think I should have stand-alone parts? Or should I just incorporate the gold tech into current drills and scanners? 

I am interested in learning how to make my own textures anyway. This mod is basically a learning project for me.

cheers

Probably make them separate parts with the same model as the basic ore tanks but with a texture that discerns it from the regular one, and have them use the same drill and scanner, I'd use a new model for the smelter sens processing fuel is different than refining ore.

Like this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.