EJ_SA class aircraft carrier. Drives, sails & flies.

Azimech

Small support carrier EJ_SA class

bt0PF6p.png

Work in progress. EJ_SA named a carrier after me so I named this one after him.

Features:

• Hangar deck.
  • Elevator.
  • Loading ramp for ground/amphibious vehicles.
  • Mining installation with ISRU.
  • "Catapusht" ... it accelerates departing aircraft.
  • "The Eye" ... it looks menacing and can change the size of it's pupil.
  • L=75, W=29, Mass 695t, Parts 575.
  • Can take-off from land, land on water. It cannot take-off from water, it's not recommended to land on land. Also, don't water the water but do water the land, got it?

Even if I’m fully capable of finishing it on my own, I’d like some feedback from the community which features to focus on and if you guys would really use this carrier. I might create multiple versions.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/FIb16

Download link: http://kerbalx.com/crafts/18482

Edited by Azimech

Fantastic work! As you may know, I'm a big fan of hangar decks constructed from Mk3 cargo bays :) Especially clever use of the ramps to make the "eye". One cool thing you might consider adding (and which I've always wanted to try) is an arrestor device to help land planes. There being no tripwires in stock, i was thinking that a magnetic arrestor might work--that is, the landing plane has a docking port on the bottom, there is a row of ports along the landing portion of the flight deck, such that the ports help slow the plane to a docked stop. Sounds difficult, yes, but if anyone can pull it off it's you :) 

On 9/30/2016 at 4:49 PM, Kuzzter said:

Fantastic work! As you may know, I'm a big fan of hangar decks constructed from Mk3 cargo bays :) Especially clever use of the ramps to make the "eye". One cool thing you might consider adding (and which I've always wanted to try) is an arrestor device to help land planes. There being no tripwires in stock, i was thinking that a magnetic arrestor might work--that is, the landing plane has a docking port on the bottom, there is a row of ports along the landing portion of the flight deck, such that the ports help slow the plane to a docked stop. Sounds difficult, yes, but if anyone can pull it off it's you :) 

Since the carrier is flying, it is quite possible(Scott Manley has done this) to land on it with relative velocity 0.

On 30-9-2016 at 10:49 PM, Kuzzter said:

Thanks! I studies the capabilities of docking ports a long time ago when I was searching for a frictionless transmission and unfortunately they aren't capable of providing us with such an application. However, I can equip the carrier with a "catapusht" working in the other direction.

23 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Nice vessel Azi! Is it smaller than the one you showed a WIP of?

Correct, I tried to keep part count down this time :-)

On 30-9-2016 at 11:46 PM, quasarrgames said:

One of the coolest things i've seen in ksp in a long time! It's like if Sauron was a boat.

Also, on the topic of an arrestor device as @Kuzzter said, maybe you could flip the catapusht in the other direction.

Yep, had the same idea.

Updated to version 0.76!

Compared to 0.61, to following has changed:

•  Removed the loading ramp and gave it a proper stern.
  •  Increased the size of the flight deck: 10m. longer 4m. wider.
  •  Placed the conning tower a few meters to the rear and right.
  •  Added some crew modules in the hangar deck.
  •  Increased the size of the hangar deck, it's estimated 7 jets will fit in there now.
  •  Completely changed the elevator, less parts, more functionality, easier in operation, more reliable.
  •  Removed a lot of struts and autostruts.
  •  Part count has grown from 570 to 575.

Instructions for using the elevator.

1. Operating the elevator is prohibited when the carrier is moving. Warranty is void when doing so.
  2. The standard and safe position is the flight deck. After operation, always return it there before moving the carrier or leaving the scene.
  3. To lower the elevator, enable the thrusters, use action group 9. Throttle up to 25%, then undock the elevator platform with the two docking ports. Switch focus to the elevator and engage SAS. Slowly reduce throttle until the elevator starts to sink.
  4. There's no docking port for the elevator at the hangar deck. To raise the elevator platform, ensure SAS is still enabled, then slowly raise throttle until the elevator starts to rise, then reduce throttle a bit to reduce the speed.
  5. Make sure every time you decouple the elevator platform SAS is enabled.

Edited by Azimech

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.