CommNet Signal Strength Calculator & Antenna Selector

Poodmund

F9 Cell creats N/A error, and it spreads thoughout  spreadsheet

=IF(ISBLANK(#REF!), "", IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Deep Space Network",#REF!)),FILTER(Antennas!$U$6:$U,Antennas!$T$6:$T=#REF!)*$N$5,FILTER(Antennas!$U$6:$U,Antennas!$T$6:$T=#REF!)*$L$5))

7 hours ago, omelaw said:

F9 Cell creats N/A error, and it spreads thoughout  spreadsheet

=IF(ISBLANK(#REF!), "", IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Deep Space Network",#REF!)),FILTER(Antennas!$U$6:$U,Antennas!$T$6:$T=#REF!)*$N$5,FILTER(Antennas!$U$6:$U,Antennas!$T$6:$T=#REF!)*$L$5))

Thank you for letting me know. I've restored the sheet back to a working revision.

I don't know how but users accidentally keep screwing up the formulas that I have in cells B7:B26, C7:C26 and F7:27, G7:G26. The cells are locked and should not be able to be changed but the sheets keep breaking when users do something to the antenna selection parts and I cannot for the life of me figure out how its happening.

It drives me nuts. :D 

Edited by Poodmund

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your very useful tool got messed up again. You might want to mention somewhere that if it *is* broken, and the lock is preventing someone from fixing it themselves, anyone can duplicate the sheet and then fix the duplicated one. Just a temporary measure, but it works.

Edited by vestlen

Fixed again. Thank you for the heads up; I'm periodically going in to the sheet every few days and restoring a backup.

What I do mention in like the very first cell is that people 'should' make a copy for themselves and use their own copy rather than use the master copy but I guess some people do not have Google accounts or are not signed in and therefore cannot do so.

After some searching and being terribly frustrated that Google Sheets does not allow you to lock down a formula in a Data Validated cell but still allow a user to select data from the predefined range, I have decided to disable the ability for users to edit the master copy of the Google Sheets doc.

Issues were frequently occurring where users were accidentally copying data from cells in the sheet to the Antenna drop down cells which would corrupt the calculator page; they were subsequently unaware that they had caused an error or were not undoing the mistake causing issues for other users.

To rectify this problem, using the calculator sheet will require all users to MAKE A COPY to their own Google docs account where they can use, change and edit the sheet to their own heart's content.

I hope that everyone understands and continues to enjoy using the calculator (in a working state! :D )

@Poodmund Great worksheet, thanks for the work.

You don't happen to have a copy that incorporates the Galileo Planet Pack?  

I tried using the planetary info included with the pack to add to the 'System Stats' worksheet, but either it's labeled differently, or I'm not looking in the right place.  Is there a place the needed fields (in System stats) are located in the game configs, or are they calculated somehow? 

Thanks again for sharing your work

20 minutes ago, MongooseNX said:

@Poodmund Great worksheet, thanks for the work.

You don't happen to have a copy that incorporates the Galileo Planet Pack?  

I tried using the planetary info included with the pack to add to the 'System Stats' worksheet, but either it's labeled differently, or I'm not looking in the right place.  Is there a place the needed fields (in System stats) are located in the game configs, or are they calculated somehow? 

Ah... so you're the first to actually bug me about it. :D I guess it's my duty to provide it really.

I'll get one up and running this weekend. :wink: 

On 3/2/2017 at 6:39 PM, MongooseNX said:

I was willing to tackle it myself....but hoping you'd say you'd do it ;-)

Here's an early weekend present...

KSP CommNet Antenna Selector - Galileo Planet Pack System: Link

OP has been updated to include link to GPP System sheet. Let me know if you run into any issues.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 6:14 AM, Carrot said:

It seems to be broken again :( Or because I am on a mac

It seems fine for me. I have locked editing capability to preserve the sheets functionality. Ensure that you make a copy of it to your own Google account so that you have permission to edit it.

• 1 month later...

Hello @Poodmund!

Great job, finally I figured out what those antenna figures and settings mean. 

Have you thought about adding rescale function to your wonderful sheet? (you know, some people play with 6.4x or 3.2x and so on..)

Would be cool if someone could implement calculator in game, it could pick up actual data from antenna and planet files...

Oh, stupid me... 

Edited by evileye.x

7 hours ago, evileye.x said:

Have you thought about adding rescale function to your wonderful sheet? (you know, some people play with 6.4x or 3.2x and so on..)

Hi o/

I've added a box on the Antenna Selector sheet for you to be able to edit the System Rescale Factor that should correctly affect the orbital parameters of the bodies in the system. Please note though that many of the rescale mods out there also change the antenna/DSN powers to compensate so adjust the other difficulty settings on the sheets accordingly.

Li0n was doing great work on his mod, not sure what the status of it it at the moment though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/24/2017 at 10:07 AM, Ninadragonborn said:

those any of this mod work on Real Solar System 

I don't have a spreadsheet set up with the RSS data, sorry.

Update!

I have added in functionality to that the stock system calculator so that it can differentiate between the Direct signal strength and Relay signal strength when considering Control Points that are using a combination of Direct and Relay antennas. Check it out, let me know if you find any bugs. :D

P.S. I consider a connection with the DSN to have a Relay connection range of 0m because a connection with the DSN (KSC) is always a Direct connection.

Link

Edited by Poodmund

Update!

I have made a few changes as to how the Relay range/strength is shown if you have a DSN selected as on of the control points. Previously it would return a Relay range of 0m as technically any connection with the DSN is considered as a Direct connection (you can't relay through the DSN)... but this was slightly confusing to in practice as your Relay vessels would show nil Relay capability when connecting back to the DSN. I has been changed to consider the DSN as a valid input when it calculated Relay Control Point power and as such will show >0 Relay range now. It should be more coherent to an end user this way.

Secondly, I have added in a new feature that can be seen in Cells J15:P15. You can now select two planets in the system and it will output your Signal Strength capabilities between those two bodies. Really useful if you want to set up a Relay output on an inner or outer planet.

Link

• 1 month later...

@voicey99, could you explain to me both set ups, exactly, that are giving you these differences and I'll take a look and explain the behaviour.

EDIT: Ah, thank you for pointing this out, I think I made a pretty dumb mistake in the recent changes. Could you test the current build and see if it behaves as you would expect, please?

Edited by Poodmund

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

@voicey99, could you explain to me both set ups, exactly, that are giving you these differences and I'll take a look and explain the behaviour.

I have a comm signal booster in orbit with 12 RA-100 antennas. The Direct Mode strength is listed as 6.44x1011, Relay Mode as 1.2x1012 (exactly). I also have a sub-relay very far away with two RA-15s giving Direct and Relay strengths of 2.52x1010 and 3x1010 (exactly) respectively. However, in game, the Direct numbers are used for the range calculations through them (both with the sub-relay being controlled and communicating with Kerbin via the booster and another vessel communicating through both), and the Relay numbers seem to be meaningless.

EDIT: Didn't see your edit. I'll take a look again.

EDIT EDIT: Is all good @Poodmund

Edited by voicey99

• 1 month later...

Extremely useful tool, thanks! I play on sandbox and want to have 100% cover everywhere. I use the RA-2 to make constellations around bodies, already got Kerbin (without ground-stations), Mun and Minmus finished.

Now I plan to go interplanetary. Seems that I could place some clusters of RA-100 around Kerbol, and orbiting the planets I want to cover. How about the RA-15? Is there any specific use for it?

I'm thinking in placing only one cluster of 3 or 4 RA-100 per planet, and then use some RA-15 to redistribute the signal when the RA-100 cluster gets blocked.

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, kerbalfreak said:

Extremely useful tool, thanks!

I'm glad you find it useful. :D 

20 minutes ago, kerbalfreak said:

How about the RA-15? Is there any specific use for it?

Only really for the inner planets, with the DSN 3 1xRA-15 antenna will get you coverage from Duna inwards towards the Sun at all times.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.