[v1.3] The Gold Standard - Minable Gold and Unobtainium for profit!

Dewar

12 hours ago, Phoenix Nebula said:

Have you considered adding other materials to mine. For example: Platinum, Silver, Lead, Titanium, Tungsten, Iridium, Osmium, Tin, Nickle, and other valuable metals?

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

There's been some talk of additional resources, but you have to answer the question: Why?  What's it's use?  Because a couple dozen parts for a resource that basically duplicates a resource you already have just clutters things up.

I thought of having the addition of silver, platinum, and palladium based on rarity of the metal and value, I had that posted earlier in this thread.

I'm currently prototyping an atmosphere mining addon just for methane on Jool with the idea that players will be able to build bases using hooligan labs airships and airpark, mine methane and convert to liquid fuel. With it, would be a palladium resource and advanced compact palladium reactors, or sell palladium for big bucks. 

6 hours ago, DStaal said:

There's been some talk of additional resources, but you have to answer the question: Why?  What's it's use?  Because a couple dozen parts for a resource that basically duplicates a resource you already have just clutters things up.

Not sure I thought it would be more interesting to have more resources to mine with different values and weights. I was also thinking that certain metals are only found in abundance on certain planets or moons.

• 2 months later...

@DStaal @Phoenix Nebula Outside of the contracts and :funds: thing, these alternate materials would be good for one thing I can think of... submarines. Stock Ore is a poor ballast. :P Use one heavy metal to anchor your ship to the sea floor and mine the next metal if it's present there.

On 11/12/2016 at 3:28 PM, Eskandare said:

I'm currently prototyping an atmosphere mining addon just for methane on Jool with the idea that players will be able to build bases using hooligan labs airships and airpark, mine methane and convert to liquid fuel.

Is this prototype of yours still alive? I've had a similar idea: to harvest water through stock air intakes and enable the ISRU to run electrolysis and produce fuels. I've had a fair deal of practice exploring the versatility of Karbonite. I haven't figured out the intake part but the other things, maybe I can help out with.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

On 1/14/2017 at 10:01 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

@DStaal @Phoenix Nebula Outside of the contracts and :funds: thing, these alternate materials would be good for one thing I can think of... submarines. Stock Ore is a poor ballast. :P Use one heavy metal to anchor your ship to the sea floor and mine the next metal if it's present there.

Is this prototype of yours still alive? I've had a similar idea: to harvest water through stock air intakes and enable the ISRU to run electrolysis and produce fuels. I've had a fair deal of practice exploring the versatility of Karbonite. I haven't figured out the intake part but the other things, maybe I can help out with.

Yes it is. I just need to rework the models. Just at the moment my time is limited. My first priority is to release my KRX update then my CVX update.

• 3 weeks later...

I like a lot of this, and think I know what I need to do for what I am about to ask, but if you could clarify what you think.

I want to get the gold scanning into the global scanners, like scansat or the stock ore scanner. I believe I can do this with the configs, but any help would be appreciated. Not up to rebbuilding a mod atm.

Hey guys, as real life has stepped in the way of my modding life, I am giving full permission to anyone wishing to continue the mod or use any of its content in their own project.

If anyone does use the content just shoot me a message letting me know. More because it would interest me to know what your planning, permission is a given.

12 hours ago, cy-one said:

I'm a bit confused, what's the current state on this regarding KSP 1.2.2? Does it work or not?

Works perfectly fine for me. Note that 1.2.2 is mostly bugfixes which means most mods released for 1.2 will work with it.

• 1 month later...

If someone does take it up and considers multiple resources, then I would suggest maybe 3.  Silver, Gold, and "Crystals" (which could mean anything from diamonds to corrundum-type things like saphires to whatever weird and possibly valuable things you might find elsewhere in a space setting).

Three seems like a good number for sake of balancing rarity and value with distance.

I loved this mod, I don't suppose it would work with Galileo's Planet Pack so I can use it in my current playthrough? I'm assuming that would require someone to create custom resource maps? Or is something built into the community resource pack somehow?

Edited by kerrigan778

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, wadusher1 said:

Has anyone found a way to get gold to appear in SCANsat maps? Right now they show every CRP resource as well as the relevant MKS resources but no gold. :/

If you make a patch with this it should work:

SCANSAT_SENSOR
 {
      name = GoldOre
      SCANtype = 536870912 //2^29
 }

14 hours ago, Rodger said:

If you make a patch with this it should work:

SCANSAT_SENSOR
 {
      name = GoldOre
      SCANtype = 536870912 //2^29
 }

I've tried this (as an MM patch and not inserting it into the actual config) but it didn't work. Directly inserting it ought to work. I'd like to know if it does.

21 hours ago, wadusher1 said:

Has anyone found a way to get gold to appear in SCANsat maps? Right now they show every CRP resource as well as the relevant MKS resources but no gold. :/

See above quote. Gold and GoldOre are not in the CRP. This mod's resources are not popular enough to other mods to earn a place in CRP.

On 3/17/2017 at 2:32 AM, kerrigan778 said:

I loved this mod, I don't suppose it would work with Galileo's Planet Pack so I can use it in my current playthrough? I'm assuming that would require someone to create custom resource maps? Or is something built into the community resource pack somehow?

I considered writing a config for GoldOre distributions for Galileo's Planet Pack. However I have not seen enough evidence of this mod's popularity to bother doing so. If more interest is shown here you can look forward to this in Galileo's next update or a package in the GPP Workshop thread

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I've tried this (as an MM patch and not inserting it into the actual config) but it didn't work. Directly inserting it ought to work. I'd like to know if it does.

Yeah that's what I did already. Worked perfectly for me. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Update 1.4

• Finally got off my butt and updated the mod to 1.2.2

• Added Unobtainium

• Added support for GPP and Scansat (maybe, needs testing)

Sorry for the hiatus guys!

Edit:

Update 1.4.1

• Fixed an issue with Unobtainium not spawning in sufficient amounts.

Update 1.4.2

• Fixed a typo... *cough*

Edited by Dewar

Hey guys, would like to know some feedback for unobtainium. Does bringing back 7 tons for 5 million funds feel a little weak? Or is that fine for you? 

Keep in mind that you would most likely be returning the 7 tons from moho, eeloo, laythe or eve.

Add to the fact you have to visit said places to see if your game has even spawned any of the resource.

I was thinking of bumping the numbers for my own game. Perhaps around double.

Edited by Dewar

@Dewar Hey there. :) I wanted to mention two little things considering the coming update. Congrats on an update by the way.

1. The majority of your ResourcesGeneric.cfg is not necessary as all the stock definitions are already defined and don't need repeat definitions. 
  2. The global Ore definition in your Ore.cfg doesn't have a name so it will be seen as garbage and ignored while loading.
  3. Your GameData folder has a space in it...
  4. The Patches.cfg looks pretty prone to bugs.
Edited by JadeOfMaar

31 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Dewar Hey there. :) I wanted to mention two little things considering the coming update. Congrats on an update by the way.

1. The majority of your ResourcesGeneric.cfg is not necessary as all the stock definitions are already defined and don't need repeat definitions. 
  2. The global Ore definition in your Ore.cfg doesn't have a name so it will be seen as garbage and ignored while loading.
  3. Your GameData folder has a space in it...
  4. The Patches.cfg looks pretty prone to bugs.

Hey there Jade,

1. I'll clean that up, makes sense now that I think of it.

2. How do I add a name exactly?

3. lol.. fixed.

4. How so? I know its a mess but specifics are best if I am to organize it better.

And thanks for the pointers

Edited by Dewar

27 minutes ago, Dewar said:

And thanks for the pointers

Here is another one... :wink: And I'd like to know, why are the abundance values in this mod so high? Is it to keep a minimal level of grind?

Spoiler

I see a distribution for Titan (RSS) and a certain other stock planet but not for Dres.

Fixes:

Spoiler

GLOBAL_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceName = GoldOre
	ResourceType = 0

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 25
		MinAbundance = 0
		MaxAbundance = 45
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

GLOBAL_RESOURCE //This line is missing.
{
	ResourceName = Ore
	ResourceType = 0

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 100
		MinAbundance = 1
		MaxAbundance = 35
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

4. It doesn't look all that bad actually but the main thing is, when you're editing a config line inside a config node, it's a good idea to prefix that with an @ too ...

• Everywhere that you change TechRequired and description in an existing thing should be @TechRequired and @description
  • Each resource entry for SCANsat's sensors should have its own SCANtype number. Oddly, I added two resources myself and only one of them showed up in SCANsat's overlay selector window. :/ 

16 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Here is another one... :wink: And I'd like to know, why are the abundance values in this mod so high? Is it to keep a minimal level of grind?

Reveal hidden contents

I see a distribution for Titan (RSS) and a certain other stock planet but not for Dres.

Fixes:

Reveal hidden contents

GLOBAL_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceName = GoldOre
	ResourceType = 0

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 25
		MinAbundance = 0
		MaxAbundance = 45
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

GLOBAL_RESOURCE //This line is missing.
{
	ResourceName = Ore
	ResourceType = 0

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 100
		MinAbundance = 1
		MaxAbundance = 35
		Variance = 50
		Dispersal = 3
	}
}

4. It doesn't look all that bad actually but the main thing is, when you're editing a config line inside a config node, it's a good idea to prefix that with an @ too ...

• Everywhere that you change TechRequired and description in an existing thing should be @TechRequired and @description
  • Each resource entry for SCANsat's sensors should have its own SCANtype number. Oddly, I added two resources myself and only one of them showed up in SCANsat's overlay selector window. :/ 

Thanks for the help, I've incorporated all of the above mentioned fixes.

Also, I looked into the Scansat GitHub and fixed the Scansat number for both goldore and Unobtainium.

That ore reference I just removed, it wasn't needed.

Will be pumping out an update shortly that will also balance the weights to my liking.

I finally feel like I'm near a stable build.

Cheers.

As for the abundance:

Spoiler

I made the spawn chance 25% (if your were referring to gold) and 50-70 (depending on the difficulty of the body) for Unobtainium.

I felt doing this was better for gameplay as when you found it, you wouldn't have to hunt too much while interplanetary.

Within Kerbin's (or Gael's) Sphere of influence, you'll notice those values are much lower.

I wanted the difficulty to be in getting there and back with it, and the initial discovery. Not hunting around on the planet in question (which with a variance of 1-20 may still happen anyway).

Cheers again for the help, publishing new update that should be good with GPP shortly.

- Dewar

Edited by Dewar

Update 1.5

- Dramatically changed the Weight/Balance/Distribution of resources. (It should now be a little easier to make money, and more worth it to make a trip out farther.)
- Fixed the Unobtainium texture
- Cleaned up files
- Improved compatibility with Scansat and Galileo's Planet Pack

Edit: Turns out my patch for scansat wasn't working properly. I've solved the problem on the next build.

Edited by Dewar

Update 1.5.1

- Complete Compatibility with SCANsat and Galileo's Planet Pack 

- Changed the way resources spawn on planets (more small concentrated veins, less large low concentrated blobs).

Edited by Dewar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.