[v1.3] The Gold Standard - Minable Gold and Unobtainium for profit!

Dewar

If anyone has played the mod with or without Galileo's planet pack installed, please let me know if you mine Unobtainium. I'd like to tweak the values a bit but I need some feedback.

Thanks.

15 hours ago, Dewar said:

If anyone has played the mod with or without Galileo's planet pack installed, please let me know if you mine Unobtainium. I'd like to tweak the values a bit but I need some feedback.

Thanks.

I'm playing without Galileo presently. Although I haven't mined Unobtainium yet, id say its likely worth a little to much ( I looked at the values in the cfg). I'm pulling in to big of profits solely mining gold from the moon. Also, I'm having a bug when I reclaim the vessel that completely erases my funds setting them back to zero. I'm using a variety of mods mostly the stuff everyone uses and parts packs. Unless it is conflicting with MKS I don't believe its a conflict with a another mod.

3 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I'm playing without Galileo presently. Although I haven't mined Unobtainium yet, id say its likely worth a little to much ( I looked at the values in the cfg). I'm pulling in to big of profits solely mining gold from the moon. Also, I'm having a bug when I reclaim the vessel that completely erases my funds setting them back to zero. I'm using a variety of mods mostly the stuff everyone uses and parts packs. Unless it is conflicting with MKS I don't believe its a conflict with a another mod.

I don't use MKS personally, I'll throw it onto my install and do some testing to see if the issue is repeatable.

So you think the gold Values are too high?

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

I don't use MKS personally, I'll throw it onto my install and do some testing to see if the issue is repeatable.

So you think the gold Values are too high?

I think the price is good. Maybe you could make it a bit more scarce, increase the conversion time, or make it even heavier. Personally I think making it heavier would be the easiest and best route. Make it impossible to drop a years worth of funds in one drop.

17 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I think the price is good. Maybe you could make it a bit more scarce, increase the conversion time, or make it even heavier. Personally I think making it heavier would be the easiest and best route. Make it impossible to drop a years worth of funds in one drop.

I hear you there, Gold was actually about twice as heavy two patches ago. But I felt the difficulty to be to hard, I needed a million worth of infrastructure just to get things moving, and then only receiving 100-200k funds a drop felt like I was better off doing contract spam.

Perhaps I'll bump up the weight to somewhere between the old values and now.

I would like to hear more on the subject from some other people playing it though!

- Dewar

Edited by Dewar

I've just returned from eve, mining unobtanium there. 4 medium tanks returned (18 million in value, my ship costs about 250k). But man... the unobtanium is so heavy, it makes my ship tumbles every minute when I'm leaving eve, so much that I had to manually steer the dang thing since drone auto SAS seems to be insufficient to keep it pointed upwards. And it got worse on return, where the ship now pointed on where it shouldn't be when it's burning on atmosphere. Overall, losing 2 out of 3 solar panels, all landing legs destroyed (2 on eve, 1 on kerbin), all drills destroyed on reentry, But the content survived. I'd call that "mission complete" (and btw, I did it unmanned, using drone)

Edited by ARS

@ARS Haha, glad to hear you are enjoying the mod. An Eve mission for Unobtainium? Wow, I just presumed everyone would go to Eeloo or Moho. Good on yah buddy.

What are your thoughts on the weights and value of Unobtainium?

Do you have any screenshots from the mission?

You're more than welcome to post some if you'd like.

Edited by Dewar

Sadly, I didn't have a screenshot from that mission (It's my first unobtainium mining mission, so my time is being spent more in trying to save the ship from tumbling, but at least, I've figured out how to do it) However, a second mission is underway, this time, a massive mining operation to Dres. The ship that I'll be using is specially designed USK "Kishimura" (Based on USG Ishimura planet-cracker class mining ship). about 47 unobtainium medium tanks, 22 crews and TAC life support mod installed. The USK "Kishimura" weighs 500 tons (With 700+parts and over 5 million cost, that's no joke) I had to use GN Drive engine to make it fly since normal engine won't even lift it off the ground (And even with GN drive, it's still so heavy, I can't imagine how heavy it is after being filled). It's currently in final testing phase for it's departure into dres system. This is gonna be one hell of a party!

HQn6OF3.pngWlJisED.jpg

Overall, about unobtainium, i think the weight-value is already balanced enough to make it's return feel "Rewarding" with the difficulty of transporting it (You don't wanna know how many times I pressed F9 to save my ship from eve). For eve mining, making a ship capable to escape from eve is easy, however, making a ship capable of escaping from eve CARRYING unobtainium is a whole new level. You can't just "Over-engineer"  your ship to be able to do that, you had to take your Over-engineering into KERBAL Over-engineering to make it happen (Looking at unobtainium stats in gamedata file about resources, I was thinking "Well, this is gonna be fun")

Overall, this is a very great mod, it gives me a reason to go to other planetary body to do something other than doing science or mining for fuel station. good job mate! Keep up the good work! :D 

@ARS Thanks so much for the praise and feedback on the mod! That ship is absolutely massive by the way, call it the minimalist in me but I've never even tried to build something like that!

Let me know how the dres mission goes!

-Dewar

ARS here, reporting the result of Dres mission. Unfortunately, the USK Kishimura did not pass the testing phase since it's proved to be aerodynamically unstable to be brute-forced to fly on Kerbin atmosphere, with main issue being loss of control, solar panels being torn apart and the rib superstructure failure. According to our space program, we always have a Plan B just in case the first craft didn't pass our testing phase. Enter the Dres Unobtainium Miner, our "Contingency plan"

eJEvXIy.png

Despite having a disadvantage of not having crew onboard for increasing mining efficiency, it boasts a higher capacity of unobtainium tanks, allowing us to add 10 more tanks on it (For a total of 57 tanks). It also equipped with a lot of GN condensers as well as GN Drive engine for dealing with a massive weight it'll be carrying home and also saves room from TAC Life Support units, allowing a communication dish and an orbital scanner to be equipped.

jUbaTjh.png

Mission is a go. Launch!

LXwpgUJ.png

Reached Dres orbit after 2 years since launch date. Let's deploy the orbital scanner

1FpNlnA.png

Dres scanned! Look at all that money! :D

6AUB6fV.png

Beginning our descent to resource-rich area

1GiQkfD.png

We don't need the orbital scanner anymore, let's decouple it

gCNW7F3.png

Touchdown!

2MfSzzJ.png

Deploying mining equipment

Wmybk2K.png

It took seven days to fill the unobtainium tanks, let's prepare for our return

Sg50tpw.png

It has been 4 years since the launch date (That ship mass... It's no joke)

s1YS5Ch.png

We don't need the dish and drills anymore, let's decouple them while we are at suborbital trajectory

5XIhnY6.png

Deploying heat shields

6Nun7hK.png

Deorbiting (Even after decoupling the dish and drills, the ship mass is still...)

jxIlH6v.png

Burning UP!

yE6eSNx.png

Drogue chutes deployed

whIkMR4.png

All chutes deployed

apamc5h.png

*DEEP BREATH*

ADWgExZ.png

Vessel Recovered! Gained more than 188 million funds from 57 Unobtainium tanks

MISSION COMPLETE! :D

Edited by ARS

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MacGregor said:

Gents, when is this mod getting updated for the latest patch? 

I don't believe it needs to be - this is basically a parts+resources mod, which is all in .cfg files.  The syntax for those hasn't changed, so unless someone wants to localize it the current version should be fine in 1.3.

At least, I haven't noticed any major problems.  :wink:

8 hours ago, MacGregor said:

Somehow I am missing this under kcan. What is its listed name ? 

The reason you don't see it on ckan is that I havent taken the time to update module manager to the latest version for 1.3.

On 6/8/2017 at 10:09 PM, MacGregor said:

Gents, when is this mod getting updated for the latest patch? 

As the great @DStaal said, you can use it now as their have been no changes to the coding that my mod utilizes.

Just install the newest module manager for ksp version 1.3.

I'll update the Mod to the latest version on cKan sometime early next week. Time permitting.

3 hours ago, Dewar said:

The reason you don't see it on ckan is that I havent taken the time to update module manager to the latest version for 1.3.

As the great @DStaal said, you can use it now as their have been no changes to the coding that my mod utilizes.

Just install the newest module manager for ksp version 1.3.

I'll update the Mod to the latest version on cKan sometime early next week. Time permitting.

Got, it thanks. Great mod by the way. 

1 hour ago, MacGregor said:

Sorry guys, not to be dense but I have a mod manager installed and still can't use the mod. 

Pic of your GameData?

Also, by 'can't use', what do you mean: Nothing's showing up?  Loading errors?  What?

On 6/16/2017 at 3:16 PM, MacGregor said:

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not that tech savy. I have a mod manager installed via Ckan however The Gold Standard still won't show up on Ckan as compatible. 

On 6/10/2017 at 0:27 AM, Dewar said:

Done.

Version 1.5.2 Released

Just added the latest version of Module Manager and updated the version for Ckan.

All should be well.

- Dewar

@ARS Sweet mission overview, glad to see the payload made it in one piece!

8 hours ago, FletcherDragon said:

Would like to see tanks for Planetary Base System mod

Building mining rovers with PBS parts look good and use so few parts AND can be reconfigured easy with KIS 

I'll look into it. 

I hear you for sure though, my textures for the containers are very meh. 

Edited by Dewar

On 6/18/2017 at 9:56 PM, Dewar said:

Done.

Version 1.5.2 Released

Just added the latest version of Module Manager and updated the version for Ckan.

All should be well.

- Dewar

@ARS Sweet mission overview, glad to see the payload made it in one piece!

Thanks! 

On 6/20/2017 at 9:18 AM, MacGregor said:

Thanks! 

No problem at all!

For those of you using the mod please do me a favour and leave some feedback. I.e. The difficulty vs reward. Is gold too heavy, too light, unobtainium too valuable?

Working on some compatability patches right now for a few mods that will be released soonish, I will also be increasing gold's weight slightly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.