Add dislike button

TheDestroyer111

There are already star-based ratings for entire threads, but there are many posts that are not thread OP's but still deserve disliking them, and simply not pressing the like button doesn't do much as such a post will be seen as just as good as an actually good post which unluckily got dug in in the sea of other posts.

I dislike this. Likes could be understood as an encouragement to improve quality, dislikes might lead to the contrary. People start to dislike posts that are not along their view of things. That'll be against the multitude ;-) Also, if someone starts to dislike, people of the same opinion will follow, witch could start to steer things. That's not my understanding of a forum with contents as widespread as in this one.

If i dislike something and feel the urge to let the world know i state my case, keeping it on topic (like f.e. that air-to-ground missile a few months ago).

I like likes, i dislike dislikes.

Peace :-)

Edited by Green Baron

Dislikes invite dislikes (e.g. I dislike your posts just because two weeks ago you dislikes one of mine) a lot more than likes invite likes. You'll risk a negative spiral to which is no escape. I've seen it happen on other fora where some people were ousted and ended up with a huge negative rep. I hope never to see that happen here.

I don't want a dislike button. But if we had, nothing personal, this would be where I'd probably use it.

4 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Dislikes invite dislikes (e.g. I dislike your posts just because two weeks ago you dislikes one of mine) a lot more than likes invite likes. You'll risk a negative spiral to which is no escape. I've seen it happen on other fora where some people were ousted and ended up with a huge negative rep. I hope never to see that happen here.

I don't want a dislike button. But if we had, nothing personal, this would be where I'd probably use it.

It happens on Reddit, too. You don't get much karma, you get a lot, or you get downvoted to oblivion.

It would just get abused.  People go through every thread now and give it a one star vote for no reason at all.  I think they should remove the star rating, and if they can't give us an anonymous option for that like button, that should go too!

57 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

The forum software has the option for dislikes, but it is turned off and will stay that way. There's enough negativity in the world. :)

Very good news.

The whole concept of "dis-liking" something on the internet is counterproductive, anyway. When will people realise that the best (and only) way of showing your active dislike of something is to ignore it completely and not click on it? :rolleyes:

Edited by UnusualAttitude

15 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

The forum software has the option for dislikes, but it is turned off and will stay that way. There's enough negativity in the world. :)

Thank Kod for that.

9 hours ago, Rath said:

Well, If I see a post from somebody a few days old and it has no likes its probably not a good post.

Can't you make your own decision on a posts 'goodness'? :P

Yeah no. This is supposed to be a positive forum, and we already have people abusing the star rating system but just hitting the button and leaving to troll. This will lead to the same path but with hurt feelings and more.

Honestly if you can't explain why you dislike the post then you shouldn't say it and a simple button would be just that. It would cause lots of negativity, strife, and disconnect between users. It has no benefit for users nor the community whatsoever.

tl;dr NO

If there is something truly deserving of a dislike it's either going to be removed by a moderator or you can simply leave a comment explaining your problems with the position. As soon as you have a dislike button threads that have a disagreeable opinion will simply disappear instead of sparking discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2016 at 2:07 PM, Vanamonde said:

A banana is used to effectively put the perspective of this thread to scale. :D

On 10/3/2016 at 6:16 PM, evileye.x said:

Hell no, KSP forum is one of the most positive places, please let it stay as it is...

Who will ever may dislike another rockets fan person anyway? :)

LoL are you new?!

I jest - you're right its quite positive, nothing good can come of a dislike button. Plenty of ways to disagree, or even issue sick burns, already.

People 'like' posts for all sorts of reasons and presumably will 'dislike' them for all sorts of reasons too. Not all of those reasons will have anything to do with the quality or factual accuracy of the post.

I see this a lot on the Ars Technica forums. It's impossible to tell whether somebody has downvoted a post because it's actually incorrect, because they disagree with the reasoning set out in it, or because it simply doesn't comport with their world view.

Therefore I think a 'dislike' button would be counterproductive. It doesn't tell you anything useful and it's just an incitement to add unnecessary drama.

2 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

How about a "hide this user's posts" option then?

--

You can hide posts from a user. Which I find very satisfying and it works pre-emptively as well. But having the ability to remove a single post from views would be nice, too.

Edit: oh wait, you meant “hide all posts from a user.” Yeah, is there totally. Float your mouse over a user's name, and at the bottom there's an "ignore user" option. Recommended by my cardiologist.

Edited by Kerbart
Yay

17 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Float your mouse over a user's name, and at the bottom there's an "ignore user" option.

No wonder I couldn't find the setting. Yes, that seems to work well; thanks for the tip. And I can see why a cardiologist would recommend it as a stress reducer. :D

--

Dislikes - No. Just no. Just to show how bad they could be (well basically they'd be a legit form of backseat moderation).

Always better a proper moderation and / or post time interval limits. This linked thread is one such example.

Thank you, moderators !

ignore users... so far i haven't found someone too troubling but unworthy to be moderated here, so hopefully i'll never use it.

Edited by YNM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.